Struggles

Options
Kiismyaces
Kiismyaces Posts: 132 Member
Post here when you find yourself struggling with something. Maybe an injury or an upcoming event for travel date and you dont know how to get you exercise in.

I am traveling to Florida for work later this month. Any time I get into a routine it's hard for me to get interrupted and go back to my routine. I also dont know exactly how I'm going to work out there. Hope the hotel has a gym...otherwise it's walking by the beach. Either way ill get it done. Really excited to see you all participating.

Replies

• EttaWB
    EttaWB Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's sad but I'm already thinking (concerned) about my vacation (Aug 31-Sept 15) and how I'm going to maintain my weight. I'm going home where I'm already looking forward to cheesesteaks, stromboli, pizza, hoagies. One strategy is on the day I have one of the before-mentioned, I will eat half the serving and save the other half for the next meal or next day and workout for an hour. These treats pack on a lot of calories. I hope this is enough to not gain weight. It will be the first time in my life that I've gone on vacation and didn't gain.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    EttaWB wrote: »
    It's sad but I'm already thinking (concerned) about my vacation (Aug 31-Sept 15) and how I'm going to maintain my weight. I'm going home where I'm already looking forward to cheesesteaks, stromboli, pizza, hoagies. One strategy is on the day I have one of the before-mentioned, I will eat half the serving and save the other half for the next meal or next day and workout for an hour. These treats pack on a lot of calories. I hope this is enough to not gain weight. It will be the first time in my life that I've gone on vacation and didn't gain.

Vacations are hard, be strong. One tactic I use with a craving, wait 10 minutes and see if I still want it. Usually during that 10 minutes I have talked my self out of it and have something else instead
  • Kiismyaces
    Options
    I would suggest making a video of yourself. Telling yourself how much you want to lose weight and be healthy. Go into emotional detail. Watch it anytime you feel like giving up or you find yourself struggling. I have a trip coming up too for business. What I plan on doing is looking at menus around the area I will be at and planning meals. Another great idea that my friend mentioned to me, Is pack food that doesn't need to be refrigerated or go shopping and make your meals.
  • amsdragonfly
    amsdragonfly Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My struggle that creeps up sometimes is dinners. Sometimes my husband doesn't like certain things that I am trying to have to be healthier or to change things up. For instance I discovered he really hates goat cheese (which I love!) and I had made dinner with it. I'm trying to use other types of things in place of cheddar which he loves and can't get enough of, but I feel isn't great to have all the time.

At least he is a trooper through this- he ate all of what I gave him and waited till after to tell me he didn't like it- haha. So I just keep trying to make new things. But now I feel like I can't make stuff with goat cheese anymore- he seems adverse to tangy strong cheeses. He's also really into comfort food (mashed potatoes, mac and cheese; who isn't??) which I am trying to have less of. Trying to find balance with our food struggles is hard!! :s
  • silverdwillow
    silverdwillow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Something I am struggling currently is working 10-12 hour days on a job where I am on my feet all day so by the time I get home I don't want to do anything, although on the weekends I kick my butt in gear and excersize for a longer duration.
  • emilytay23
    emilytay23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My struggle that creeps up sometimes is dinners. Sometimes my husband doesn't like certain things that I am trying to have to be healthier or to change things up. For instance I discovered he really hates goat cheese (which I love!) and I had made dinner with it. I'm trying to use other types of things in place of cheddar which he loves and can't get enough of, but I feel isn't great to have all the time.

At least he is a trooper through this- he ate all of what I gave him and waited till after to tell me he didn't like it- haha. So I just keep trying to make new things. But now I feel like I can't make stuff with goat cheese anymore- he seems adverse to tangy strong cheeses. He's also really into comfort food (mashed potatoes, mac and cheese; who isn't??) which I am trying to have less of. Trying to find balance with our food struggles is hard!! :s

Maybe you can try variations of comfort foods?

For example, swap mashed potatoes with mashed SWEET potatoes. I don't like them on their own, but as mash or fries (bakes), salted and with pepper, I love them way more than regular potatoes. I find that it has much more character. You can add mashed cauliflower to the mix to for a good kick of fibre. Great way to cut down the calories while keeping the comfort factor. I also tweak recipes like shepherd's pie to have sweet potato+cauliflower mash on top instead of regular mashed potatoes. Works like a dream and you hardly notice is.

• magerchuk
    magerchuk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So I got back from a little vacation on Sunday and this week I was super motivated to get started on my weight loss, eat healthy and hit the gym. Then last night I rolled my ankle during softball (2nd base wasn't tied down) and I'm already discouraged!
    Isn't that just classic; day 2 I've already hurt myself and I'm not sure when I'll be able to go to the gym again.
  • amsdragonfly
    Options
    emilytay23 wrote: »

For example, swap mashed potatoes with mashed SWEET potatoes. I don't like them on their own, but as mash or fries (bakes), salted and with pepper, I love them way more than regular potatoes. I find that it has much more character. You can add mashed cauliflower to the mix to for a good kick of fibre. Great way to cut down the calories while keeping the comfort factor. I also tweak recipes like shepherd's pie to have sweet potato+cauliflower mash on top instead of regular mashed potatoes. Works like a dream and you hardly notice is.
    Thanks emilytay23- I never thought of cauliflower. I LOVE sweet potatoes though, but hubby does not but he will sometimes eat the fries. ;) I'm not a fan of cauliflower, but maybe mashed it wouldn't be so bad? Do you have any recipe ideas on how to prep it? I've never made it before!
    magerchuk wrote: »
    So I got back from a little vacation on Sunday and this week I was super motivated to get started on my weight loss, eat healthy and hit the gym. Then last night I rolled my ankle during softball (2nd base wasn't tied down) and I'm already discouraged!
    Isn't that just classic; day 2 I've already hurt myself and I'm not sure when I'll be able to go to the gym again.
    And magerchuck, did you roll your ankle bad enough that you can't walk? Maybe if you wait a couple days, and then try walking for a half hour to an hour. That might get you slowly moving again. :)
  • emilytay23
    emilytay23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    emilytay23 wrote: »

Thanks emilytay23- I never thought of cauliflower. I LOVE sweet potatoes though, but hubby does not but he will sometimes eat the fries. ;) I'm not a fan of cauliflower, but maybe mashed it wouldn't be so bad? Do you have any recipe ideas on how to prep it? I've never made it before!
    magerchuk wrote: »
    And magerchuck, did you roll your ankle bad enough that you can't walk? Maybe if you wait a couple days, and then try walking for a half hour to an hour. That might get you slowly moving again. :)

hey amsdragonfly, you can try incorporating it in the mash. Really simple - simple cut the cauliflower up into small chunks, boil it in some water, drain it and chuck it in the blender. Add a dash of milk, salt and pepper to taste. You can eat this as it is or mix it with sweet potato mash with is done in the exact same way! :) I like to make a huge batch and freeze them in smaller portions so that when I have very little time to whip up a meal for myself, i can just chuck a piece of salmon in the oven with some veg, nuke the frozen mash in the microwave and i have a healthy and pretty wholesome meal.

I understand that cauliflower has a funny taste to it. I dont quite like it myself which is why I sometimes heavily season it with garam masala or whatever herbs I'm fancying that day. They're pretty good roasted too. :) Or as cauliflower rice.

I bought a spiraliser today! Very excited to use that to make zucchini spaghetti, raw pad thai.. endless possibilities. Feeling quite excited to start making good changes to my diet.
  • EttaWB
    Options
    @magerchuk, At least you have a valid excuse for an ankle injury. After two years of non-movement, I finally started wallking on and slowly jogging for one minute every three to four on the treadmill and sprained tendons. I now have to wear an ankle brace. Lol, but not. I can't believe my ankles are so weak. Take care of your ankle and if you have to, wear a brace for additional support. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Sheretaw
    Sheretaw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Etta, get in lots of veggies before each meal on vacation. Those are good for and it will fill up ur stomach and maybe help you not eat as much.
  • EttaWB
    Options
    Thanks, @RetaRoo65. I will do that with every meal except when I have a cheesesteak. That has so many calories that I don't want to add any more with the veggies. But I will stick to eating half.
  • amalik3511
    amalik3511 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Today was a very hectic day at work front...meetings started at 6 am and ended at 8 pm in night (5 meetings)...so no workout, but was able to balance out by ending food diary with less than 1000 cal...hoping tomorrow is better.
  • Kiismyaces
    Options
    amalik3511 wrote: »
    Today was a very hectic day at work front...meetings started at 6 am and ended at 8 pm in night (5 meetings)...so no workout, but was able to balance out by ending food diary with less than 1000 cal...hoping tomorrow is better.

Great job watching what you ate through out the day. That's the most important part!
  • amalik3511
    Options
    Kiismyaces wrote: »
    amalik3511 wrote: »

Great job watching what you ate through out the day. That's the most important part!

Thanks for the motivation..
  • amsdragonfly
    Options
    EttaWB wrote: »
    @magerchuk, At least you have a valid excuse for an ankle injury. After two years of non-movement, I finally started wallking on and slowly jogging for one minute every three to four on the treadmill and sprained tendons. I now have to wear an ankle brace. Lol, but not. I can't believe my ankles are so weak. Take care of your ankle and if you have to, wear a brace for additional support. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I know what you mean about ankle problems... I have always had problems with my ankles (they "fall in" due to being born without two little bones in my foot). I had surgery on one as a child to have a cadaver bone put in place and a screw, and I never did the other one so I always had bad balance. My physical therapist works on balance with me along with my back, but I've never done sports due to it.

I notice I roll my ankle easy when I try to jog (or walk or move fast for that matter), but even surfaces really are the key. But I discovered another thing that helps me I never would have thought. It might sound weird but I took my 100 lb shepherd mix jogging with me yesterday and I almost fell twice and he propped me up with his shoulder. It was also the first time I was ever in my life able to keep a pace the entire time, so I am owing him some credit.
  • amalik3511
    Options
    I have been walking for 2 wks now, and since day 1 has been noticing that my right foot sort of turns outward while stepping...infact I noticed today that the skin on the extreme right of the foot is hard and stiff and the right foot show as well seems to be eating up and sort of shaping outwards towards that right....my internet research says this is Supination?? Anyone else facing something like this....is this because am morbidly obese like 380 lbs type...??
  • savysing
    savysing Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So frustrated because I've been on a 1200 cal diet for over 3 weeks now and stick to it pretty well (but of course I have those days I'll go over some). I walk 4-5 times a week and try to hit the gym ocassionally. I lost 2.5 lbs the first week of my 1200 cal diet and now I have just stayed constant at that weight for 2 weeks. I don't know what to do. Yeah I know the whole bowel movement, menstrual cycle, yada-yada deal has effect, but for this long? I'm just not seeing any result for almost a month now and it's getting very frustrating and making me want to quit, but I know I can't. Just don't know what to do.
  • elsie1928
    elsie1928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    @savysing Don't quit. Stick in there. The scales will move eventually. And you may be losing inches rather than pounds. You can do it.
  • amalik3511
    Options
    Bad bad weekend...no workout and loosing control over diet on Sun...

Really got to push it over on weekdays..