Low carb doesn't work for everyone

Options
124»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those links. I'm very interested in that too. For me Intermittent Fasting the Leangains way was the way forward: prolonging the nightly fast till about 1 PM, then using an 8 hour window to consume calories. I usually do this as a fairly substantial lunch and a light/snackish evening meal.

An anecdote: I'm part of a team that runs fasted wilderness retreats, that last for 4 days. During these 4 days, participants fast from food (not from water). Before they go, they are usually very apprehensive about not eating anything for 4 days. I'm one of the cooks, and we prepare them during 3 days, by gradually lowering calories and substituting proteins and fats for carbohydrates.

After their retreat all of them state that the fasting is a non- issue. They make their own way back from their retreat spot on foot, carrying all their gear. This year, that was a 40 minute walk over rough terrain. The energy with which they arrive is something to behold. Our oldest participant this year was 70, and she did opt to eat something on day one, after that she fasted.

If there's one thing I've learned it's that in an "emergency", our bodies are designed to keep us going, with minimum sustenance, for days. If we have water, we can go on for a long time. I quested 2 days and nights, and keto prepared me so well for this. There was almost no transition between not fasting and fasting and not fasting.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi Pennell12-- I get short tempered when I have really low energy because I'm not coping well with stressors, etc. How is your energy level?

Energy is coming back and a feel a little less crabby today. Last night I was off the wall!!!