Keto-what???

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
So, I accidentally clicked a wrong button and stumbled across a post on the Keto diet.

After my kids were born, I exercised and point-counted my way down 34lbs. Not long after, I started having digestive issues that interfered with my body's ability to absorb nutrients and I ended up having chronic low iron, low blood pressure, black out spells, seeing white spots... you name it! My doctor told me to stop exercising until I got that under control, which wasn't too hard because I never enjoyed it to begin with.

Within months of not exercising, I was up about 40lbs and spent the last 6 years smashing my head against the yo-yo diet brick wall. I've counted points, counted calories, starved myself on Dr. Bernstein and tried HCG diet drops. In nearly every case, whenever I (inevitably) cheated, with the exception of the odd PMS craving, the stuff that would cause me to fall off the wagon and stay off were things like extra butter on popcorn, extra cheese or skin on/bone in roasted chicken thighs as opposed to the skinless/boneless grilled breast...

So when I starting reading some of the posts for this Keto diet, naturally it intrigued me.

Can someone please fill me in on the details of this diet? Is there a food list? Food rules? Meal plan? Having done Dr. Bernstein, I understand the whole concept of being in ketosis but without their medical expertise to test my levels I wouldn't know how to keep track of that on my own. Is there a process for that on this keto diet?

Christie

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    The link from the top of the group page is a good one: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
    If you're familiar with tracking calories and macros, a lot of people find this calculator helpful: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Ok, so, I guess I was hoping for a bit more of a response than that... I followed a bunch of links from this group and googled a bunch of stuff and I think I get it. I've been super low carb for a few day and yesterday was particularly bad heady, wise, but I'm already starting to feel less bogged down and I seem to be peeing a lot more. Is there anyone out there who can provide some guidance and inputs? I feel like I'm doing it right but am not 100% sure.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try reddit keto for a wealth of information. The FAQ alone is awesome. I can boil keto down to one simple concept. Eat less than 30g of carbs, hit your protein goal, eat fat until full. It really is that simple. No need for ketone strips or blood test or anything else. You may want a good multivitamin, extra potassium, magnesium and salt. Other than that eat what you like.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Great info Sirvivor007! Will I know when I am in ketosis? Are there any tell-tail signs I should look for?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You're already there being "bad-heady." You'll get adapted in 4-12 weeks, depending on how bad your metabolism was broken and how much repair is necessary.

Check out this group, too: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

The launchpad stickied post has a ton of links and information. I'm sorry that someone isn't giving you personal coaching information, but frankly, these questions are asked and answers dozens of times a month. Please try reading back the last two months of posts on this group for more information. I love to personally help people, but at the moment I'm tapped out. I hope this does not offend you, but we've all trudged our way through it...
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is the blog that helped me understand it the most. It is written by a woman so I think she gets how the diet affects women a little better.
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/01/3-day-keto-kickstart-menu-plan.html

Good luck!
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi Christie. I stick to a keto plan if you want to add me and check out my diary. I keep my carbs very low, max of 20g net each day (net carbs = total carb grams minus fiber grams) and aim for a macros ratio of 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. My fat usually ends up landing around 75%. Note: I don't do dairy, other than the odd goat product as I have a severe allergy to cow dairy. I also highly recommend reading Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It". Another resource that I found, for those days when I didn't feel like slogging through articles on the internets was YouTube videos by Stephanie Keto Person. She is a bit of a whack job but has a pile of good info. Here's a link to get you started if you don't feel like reading: https://www.youtube.com/user/fitsk8chick/videos?shelf_id=1&sort=dd&view=0

My most important two cents: Stick with it, even through the first days/weeks when you feel crappy!!! This is just your brain switching over to running on ketones instead of glucose. Your body will thank you once you get over that hump!
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oops that link didn't work and I don't know how to get rid of it. Search for Stephanie Keto Person on YouTube - that's what I was trying to accomplish.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited August 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    You're already there being "bad-heady." You'll get adapted in 4-12 weeks, depending on how bad your metabolism was broken and how much repair is necessary.

Ha ha ha! I think it's hilarious that you put quotations around my "bad heady" comment. I guess it does sound kinda silly. The truth is, It was acutally a typo. I was typing from my phone and it must have auto-corrected or something... I was actually trying to say " yesterday was particularly bad, headache wise".

It's much better today but I'm worried that it's because I screwed up so badly. I felt like my tastebuds needed a break from fat so I indulged in an apple and a nectarine. It wasn't until I completed my food diary tonight that I realized that I some how managed to consume 88 grams of carbs! Ugh! I was hungry and am running out of ideas for things to eat (mostly because I got excited and got started before I had done all of my research and before I was fully prepared with the right groceries).

Does it take long to recover from slip ups? It's not like I ate pasta or a bag of chips. It was just fruit...
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    DittoDan has an excellent compilation on his blog. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DittoDan?month=201409 Hope this helps!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »
    DittoDan has an excellent compilation on his blog. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DittoDan?month=201409 Hope this helps!

Wow! Now that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. It literally has EVERYTHING! Thank you so much!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check out Phase 1 of Atkins for some food ideas. You definitely shouldn't be bored with the food this early in the game. For at least the first month, I wouldn't eat fruit. After that the occasional treat of berries shouldn't harm anything. You'll be so pleased with how good food is if you can cut out sugar.
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also, it helps to think of fruit as "natural candy" - it has lots of sugar. I try to keep my sugar down to no more than 10g a day because it makes me crave more and other sweet foods that I'd rather not eat. Also, it gets me on that "eat and hungry in an hour" cycle. Eating your protein and fat in whole foods keeps you full. So much so that I often forget about food, then realize eventually that I need to get some protein in.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanks guys! Can either of you tell me what kinds of foods you eat on a regular basis?
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Happily! Meat. There are lots and lots of recipes available online. Message me and I will send some of my favorites to get you started.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Can either of you tell me what kinds of foods you eat on a regular basis?

My diary is open if you'd like to snoop. :wink: I'm stricter than most keto'ers though. My meals consist of fatty meats (bacon, ribeyes, porks, and such), butter, HWC, eggs, olives, cheese, and once in awhile a vegetable.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    How well do you lose eating this way?
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Most people are VERY successful losing eating this way, which I personally would attribute largely to an unusual ability to have some resolve! It's unusual how easily we are sticking to this, and genuinely controlling our diets. My husband is losing INSANELY quickly (40 lbs in 6 weeks, was about 265 and 6'0") but his Dr isnt concerned which I'm a bit surprised about. We suspected that he might be gluten sensitive though. I'm down about 23 lbs in 6 weeks, was 259 (5'7").

Bulletproof coffee is a staple for us, we both start our day with it every day. We mix up the rest pretty often so that we don't get bored. Our snacks (not necessary, it's just a bit easier to hit our macros having some smaller things to fill in the gaps, we usually eat them with dinner or just after) are generally a garlic dip and celery, or hazelnuts, or hemp hearts, or an avocado. My husband usually eats 2-3 of these as he needs a few hundred more calories than me.

Dinner is often meat covered in sauce and some sort of veggie side for more bulk, we eat a lot of spinach salad. Once you aren't afraid of fat there's a world of delicious food available to you!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanks for your input 110challenge! I think you hit the nail on the head... As much as I want this diet to work, I think I'm still afraid of fat. I totally get the theory behind it, it's just a whole new way of thinking that I haven't quite wrapped my head around yet. I friended you to keep in touch...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Oh, and i meant to ask about the bullet proof coffee... I googled it and do you seriously just add a piles of butter to black coffee? I can't even imagine being able to stomach oily coffee...