Keto-what???

Options

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Oh, and i meant to ask about the bullet proof coffee... I googled it and do you seriously just add a piles of butter to black coffee? I can't even imagine being able to stomach oily coffee...

I admit I can't handle bulletproof coffee, but I do use full-fat half-and-half or even heavy whipping cream. It takes very little of it to cream a full mug.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hahaha re: bulletproof coffee, we were reluctant but yes, we do! Not salted, of course! We blend it in, and if you use coconut oil as well it has a really nice nutty flavour. I've had my coworkers try it, everyone has said it's the best coffee they have ever had.

You DO need to introduce fat slowly, there's an adaption process. Even starting probiotics a few days early and drinking our coffees VERY slowly we still had some difficulty transitioning.

I still drink my coffee slowly but I no longer take a daily probiotic (probably 3 a week or so now).

The first couple of weeks were kind of weird mentally, not in a bad way (I felt great very quickly) but having chicken with the skin on was weird for us - I normally wouldnt even eat dark meat! Salt is still an issue for both of us, we know we arent consuming enough salt and we supplement to keep the cramps at bay. In salts case it's as much the way it tastes as it is that for years it has been 'salt is bad' but I'm sure thats part of it too.

I obviously love losing weight, who doesnt right?, but for me I was sold when I found out how incredibly good I could feel eating this way. I wouldnt say I felt BAD before (it was a body image issue that motivated me to try this), sure I was tired a lot of the time but I have two young kids and a demanding job with long hours. I figured it was pretty normal. Plus hey, 260 lbs... you're going to feel tired. I WAS WRONG! Within the WEEK (significantly less, but I carb cut like crazy, like 10 a day the first week, I still rarely go over 15) I felt amazing. Just the way everyone explains it but it was better than I was expecting. I didnt realize how sore my joints had been until I suddenly felt so friggin limber, my mind was so clear (I wouldnt say I was foggy before), I felt alert all the time, but was still sleeping fine at night. My husband stopped snoring within days, too.

I was attributing so much general blah to my weight and the demands of my life, but it went away so quickly. I take it a bit for granted now, but I was AMAZED by it then, I felt the way I thought I would feel when I dropped like 80 lbs. I'm way more hands on with the kids (they like the rough and tumble kind of play, of course), and I'm not trying to sneak a nap during theirs so I'm getting my own time.

I'm not trying to sell you on it because I think its the kind of thing you need to know you want, and be ready to commit to (it's not a 'well I'll do it M-F but the weekends I'll eat the way I used to' kind of lifestyle), but if you're curious enough that you want to try it I'd continue to look into it. I researched it for almost a month before I put it in motion to ensure I was doing it safely, and even still I struggle to eat enough protein (that's a challenge of mine for the next two weeks, up my protein to safer levels!!). You know the general recommendation, too - it's always a good idea to consult your doctor. I admit that I didnt (my Dr wouldnt support it, she's a strong believer in carbs and grains) but my husband went to see his after he lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks and we were a bit alarmed, and got his blessing :)
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Personally I felt horrible on S.A.D but I also have enstrenuating circumstances with my metabolism. It's nice not collapsing everyday or constant migraines. If you've never eaten fats before then I would slowly introduce them into your diet. I'm lucky my mom's French so fatty rich foods were a staple in my life.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »
    Personally I felt horrible on S.A.D but I also have enstrenuating circumstances with my metabolism. It's nice not collapsing everyday or constant migraines. If you've never eaten fats before then I would slowly introduce them into your diet. I'm lucky my mom's French so fatty rich foods were a staple in my life.

What is S.A.D.?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Holy smokes 110challenge! You just totally sold me! I too am a super busy full-time working mom with two kids 9&11...

I also often wake up tired and spend most of my day feeling scattered and foggy. I've cut out all processed carbs and sugar over the last few days but I'm having a bit of a tough time letting go of my fruit.

I'm still researching and learning about the actual Keto diet but I figured, even if I am not totally doing it right or in ketosis yet, cutting back on processed carbs and sugar can't hurt me until I get it together and figure it out...

I've added you as a friend. Would you mind if I had a look at your diary?
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    What is S.A.D.?

Standard American Diet.
  • 110challenge
    Options
    No problem, I'm going to send you a PM
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    What is S.A.D.?

Standard American Diet.

Oh. Ha ha! In my defence, I am probably not familiar with that acronym because I am Canadian.
  • 110challenge
    Options
    Also Canadian, also did not know what SAD was hahahaha
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Can someone please fill me in on the details of this diet? Is there a food list? Food rules? Meal plan?

@anbeav from /r/keto absolutely keto-calculator.ankerl.com/knocks it out of the park with this post:
    Most find keto more satiating than other diets but everyone is different especially when transitioning as your body adjusts to using a new fuel source and your brain adjusts to fewer carbs (read: cravings)
    General newbie advice -
    • Electrolytes, electrolyte, electrolytes, follow the guidelines in the FAQ!
    • Read the FAQ a few times
    • Learn what you are doing, why you are doing it and how you are going to do it
    • Read labels and ingredients and ask questions at restaurants; trust nothing, question everything, carbs are fairly ubiquitous
    • Look before you eat - look up the information online or read the label before you put food in your mouth
    • Follow the plan and let it work. Plateaus happen, accept it and KCKO (keep calm, keto on). Take measurements and pictures.
    • Get rid of any foods you will not be eating
    • Think about what you can eat and not what you can't eat - there's no need to feel limited on keto, yes an entire food group limited but you can eat as you otherwise would just exclude the carbs don't overcomplicate it - keto is nothing more than real food minus the carbs
    • Avoid substitutes, fully embrace a new way of eating
    • Commit to the plan and focus on the non-scale victories and benefit as well
    • Read the FAQ and follow the electrolyte guidelines as well as drink a lot of water
    • Plan ahead - plan your meals, snacks at home, at work, in the car
    • Avoid ketosis anxiety - if you overeat carbs or fall off the wagon, get right back up, learn from it and move on. You will be back in ketosis before you know you weren't. No need to stress about it, focus on how you feel.
    • It's not ratios, it's net grams
    1. Limit to 20 net grams carbs
    2. Meet your protein goal set based on activity and lean body mass
    3. Eat fat to satiety unless eating at a high deficit
    Here's my comprehensive grocery list (items in bold be top choices for my first shopping trip):
    • Eggs
    • Avocados
    • Heavy cream, half and half, almond milk, coconut milk, sour cream, yogurt
    • Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, butter, ghee, duck fat, tallow, schmaltz, bacon grease
    • Vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, green beans, kale, spinach, swiss chard, eggplant, lettuce, zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, cabbage, bok choy, spaghetti squash, fennel , brussels sprouts, collard greens
    • Various hard and soft cheeses, cream cheese
    • Nuts and nut butter
    • Various salami and deli meat
    • Meat: chicken breast, chicken thigh, whole chicken, pork shoulder, pork loin, pork belly, bacon, goat, lamb, steak (sirloin, ribeye, flank, hanger, flat iron, chuck), ground beef
    • Fish: shrimp, crab, salmon, tuna, sardines, swordfish, mackerel, mahi mahi, cod, canned fish
    • Bouillon cubes or bones for homemade stock
    I would sit down, use the keto calculator in the sidebar to set your calorie and macros, plan your meals, add them to MFP, and start, you'll learn as you go
    Meal ideas - http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/o6vei/here_it_is_the_unofficial_tell_me_what_to_eat/
    Keep it simple, try not to think of keto as particularly special, yes an entire macro group is limited but I just cook and exclude the carbs so don't limit yourself to keto-specific recipes - lettuce wrapped burgers, deli meat and cheese wraps, scrambled eggs, omelet, quiche, frittata, stir fry with cauliflower rice, salsa chicken with cauliflower rice, taco salad, fajita lettuce wraps, roasted chicken with asparagus, salmon with spinach and Hollandaise sauce, zucchini noodles with ground beef and marinara sauce, steak and mashed cauliflower, casseroles (Cavemanketo.com), mashed avocado and tuna, green salad with steak or chicken and dressing, pulled pork, braised chicken thighs, soups, stews, chili, pot roast, chicken cordon bleu, pizza chicken with pepperoni and sausage, sausage and peppers, cabbage and sausage, parmesan crusted chicken and broccoli, stuffed pork tenderloin, stuffed mushrooms or peppers, baked cod with tomatoes and feta, collard greens with smoked turkey or ham
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/3i6zb7/keeping_my_calorie_deficit_from_preketo_will_it/cudtbzn
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    What is S.A.D.?

Standard American Diet.

Oh. Ha ha! In my defence, I am probably not familiar with that acronym because I am Canadian.

No problem! :wink: I'd have no idea if you started using Canadian acronyms. :smiley: Hope you found all the info that you need. Keto reddit is a great resource and if you're a female you'll need to check out /r/xxketo wish I had found that site sooner.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    What is S.A.D.?

Standard American Diet.

No problem! :wink: I'd have no idea if you started using Canadian acronyms. :smiley: Hope you found all the info that you need. Keto reddit is a great resource and if you're a female you'll need to check out /r/xxketo wish I had found that site sooner.

Thanks! I am female, so I will check out that site.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    That was a great list and a great link kirkor! My only concern is that for the meal suggestion it seems to rely very heavily on dairy for fat. I can't do dairy. Right now, I eat an avocado per day and cook everything in olive oil. I have coconut oil but can never think of how to consume it...
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That was a great list and a great link kirkor! My only concern is that for the meal suggestion it seems to rely very heavily on dairy for fat. I can't do dairy. Right now, I eat an avocado per day and cook everything in olive oil. I have coconut oil but can never think of how to consume it...
    I can't do dairy either (other than the odd bit of goat cheese/yogurt). My diary is open to friends if you want to add me to have a peek and see what I eat.
  • kirkor
    Options

I am dairy-free as well. I make a lot of homemade mayo with avocado oil. Coconut oil is great for adding to roasted veggies.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input 110challenge! I think you hit the nail on the head... As much as I want this diet to work, I think I'm still afraid of fat. I totally get the theory behind it, it's just a whole new way of thinking that I haven't quite wrapped my head around yet. I friended you to keep in touch...

I think we were all probably afraid of fat at one time before we started following LCHF. I know I was. It's counter-intuitive because all of our lives we've all been brainwashed to think that "fat is bad," which isn't true (with the exception of trans fats). I highly recommend the following book which is written by two doctors in an easy to understand manner for the layperson with little to no medical background:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Science-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can't do dairy. Right now, I eat an avocado per day and cook everything in olive oil. I have coconut oil but can never think of how to consume it...
    I need to up my avocado game. Such good nutrition.
    Coconut oil: I use it to cook/fry my eggs and chicken and whatever else. The chicken works great if you season it with your favorite herbs, then fry it on med-medium high 5-7 minutes per side. It is much lighter and less "oily tasting" than other oils. It doesn't take much oil to get the job done.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanks guys! Right now, I have a different focus.

*warning! TMI ahead...*

Sorry I know it's a gross topic but even though I'm pretty sure I'm in ketosis because I have been very strict with my eating, the scale isn't moving at all because my bowels aren't moving.

I can't do fibre because I have digestive issues that don't respond well to it. So I have been using stool softeners periodically but I'm at a point where, if I don't take one the night before, I literally cannot go at all that day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Stop with the stool softeners. Full out. Your body is trying to heal. All they are doing is re-breaking your body every day.

Unless you are uncomfortable and all that, there is zero need to go #2 daily. Most people find their frequency cut in half or down to 25%. The food stays in your digestive tract longer to download more nutrition. Some folks on here go once every few days. Period. So unless you are getting massively uncomfortable, you need to trust the process.

Use coconut oil in your coffee for a double natural whammy. Caffeine often moves things along. Otherwise, up your fats - by a large bit. Fat is the lubrication for that process on this WOE. Fiber (like chia seeds and crap) bungs me up to the point where I don't GO right for a week...and then when I do, it's so dried/hard/painful, it's ridiculous.

There are a ton of posts on this whole thing in the Low Carbers Daily group a lot of us are in, as it covers Keto, as well as every other form of low carb... Since you know you can't tolerate fiber, you need to use fats to help you along... Here's the link to the other group if you wanna check it out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • kirkor
    Options
    Not pooping every day is one of my favorite things about keto! I feel like my digestive system is hyperefficient, like I'm using what I eat at a 1:1 ratio. :)