Workout Check-in September

Options
14567810»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    no workout. i discovered how to work my webcam and put in a few hours of self-coaching with bodyweight squats. guess this means i missed my chance for 55 pounds on the overhead press goal this month, but i like the tradeoff.

ow ow ow bum.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Much better workout today.

Squat - 3x5 at 130 lbs. Hard!
    OHP - 3x4 at 60 lbs. I've never made it past 57.5 before. I didn't even attempt the 5th rep because I could feel my form starting to break down on the 4th. Still happy to get 3x4!
    DL - 1x5 at 185! Also a new high. This is the first time my legs have felt really tired on DL. Usually it is my grip that fails. I don't know if it was the weight, or the fact that they were pretty tired from squats still.

Pull ups - 4,3,3
    Hip thrust - 3x10 at 100 lbs. Fine. Feeling it!
    Rows - 3x5 at 75 lbs. Fine, light day.
    Close grip BP - 3x8 at 60 lbs. Feeling good. Might up the reps.
    Barbell curl - 3x9 at 45 lbs. Finally got all 9 in there last set!
    Cable crunches - 12,15,15 at 50 lbs. I dropped the weight by 5lbs and upped the reps. 55 is just to much to do properly right now. I need to find a way to add 2 or 3 lbs.

Felt like a great workout :). Now to go to the climbing gym at 8. I may not be able to move tomorrow.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    OHP - 3x4 at 60 lbs. I've never made it past 57.5 before. I didn't even attempt the 5th rep because I could feel my form starting to break down on the 4th. Still happy to get 3x4!

wow, amazing. i agree about that . . . given my own ohp day today.

ohp is really the only story. i did a rag-tag collection of other things including a complete squat smorgasbord plus rows plus negative chins plus pulldowns, plus a smidgeon of deadlifting too. but for the overhead press . . . . i got all 5x5 of my 55 pounds!!! it took a REALLY long rest between sets 3 and 4, but by the time i did go back i felt mighty all over again.

i did shoulderblade retraction and 'fixing' on the pulldown bar with a medium-challenging weight during the rest sets, and that seemed to help a lot with getting just enough burn in those little cuff muscles that it was easy to find them and set them hard when i went back to the lift. unbelievably helpful, along with really hard core bracing of glutes and core. i finished each set wanting to just lie down on the floor and go limp for a while, but i got all of them by not re-starting until my breathing was normal again.

i guess if i were giving a favourite tip for this lift, that one would be mine atm.