Post Your Results Here

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
Lets make this a group experiment. If you're brave enough to try my "program", please post your comments here.

Let us know pertinent info, like how much you lost ~ or if you didn't lose any. Please include any deviation from the recipe. (I promise not to yell at you! :angry: )

And finally, IF you do lose, lets keep it fun. On MFP your status report, write:
burned XXXX calories doing the Poseidon 100 Fat Burning Water Fast, XX hours

For the XXXX calories, multiply the amount of pounds you lost by 3,500 (one pound of fat = 3,500 calories burned).

For XX hours, put the amount of hours your fast lasted.

It will be a hoot! :)

Dan

Replies

• DittoDan
    Options
    I'll be doing my normal weekly fast, but by my own admission on the other posts, I exercised today. It was unavoidable. I had to get my shed waterproofed before the next rain.

Secondly, I'll be out-of-town, so there won't be a weigh-in on Friday. I will still try to do the fast on Thursday.
    But my son and daughter will be taking off work, and we're supposed to go canoeing....so that blows my exercise sequence!

Oh, and fourthly, I'll be in Texas. Unlike Michigan, they actually DO HAVE beef ribs. Sometimes I can't "Be Good" when it comes to beef ribs (LOL!)

What a good example I am...oh well. I hope you'll give me a pass due to vacation. I'll try to learn something from it and report back to here...

But when I get back and to my normal routine here in Michigan, I will have something to report...

Dan
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Have a great time in Texas and enjoy seeing family and friends :smiley:
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ok, as I stated in the other thread, 09/09 was my fast day, stopped eating at 5pm on 09/08, making it a 37hr fast (just had water at 6am). No problems with feeling hungry, but I got REALLY thirsty around 5pm, and by bedtime it was driving me crazy, but i held at 10-8oz. glasses. Now my lips are really chapped and i'm unusually congested, but congestion could be a sign of detoxing following Ayurveda. Still not hungry, but guzzling water pretty hard. It will be pretty hard to stay at 80oz of water and will consume more if needed. Weight loss is 0.0, but I've probably gained 2lbs in the Liter of water I just chugged. Continuing on this week, it will be interesting since historical data shows I have a major WHOOSH coming up.
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    britzen wrote: »
    Ok, as I stated in the other thread, 09/09 was my fast day, stopped eating at 5pm on 09/08, making it a 37hr fast (just had water at 6am). No problems with feeling hungry, but I got REALLY thirsty around 5pm, and by bedtime it was driving me crazy, but i held at 10-8oz. glasses. Now my lips are really chapped and i'm unusually congested, but congestion could be a sign of detoxing following Ayurveda. Still not hungry, but guzzling water pretty hard. It will be pretty hard to stay at 80oz of water and will consume more if needed. Weight loss is 0.0, but I've probably gained 2lbs in the Liter of water I just chugged. Continuing on this week, it will be interesting since historical data shows I have a major WHOOSH coming up.

So, your timing in relation to the fast and weigh-in is:

You started the fast at 5pm 9/8
    The next day you didn't eat.
    The next morning, (at 6:00 am this morning) you weighed in, and had no loss? Or did you drink the water then do the weigh-in?

If you didn't lose water at the weigh-in, I doubt this experiment was successful. I lose all the weight that night, right before the weigh-in. From 3-6 lbs. Did you pee any during the 24-37 hrs portion of the fast? I have actually peed into a half gallon water pitcher at night, and weighed it and there would be 3-6 pounds of water. That's the tell-tale sign that everything is working.

So something is causing you to retain water.

Did you eat any additional salt during the fast?

Did you do any exercise withing 72 hours before the start of the fast?

Are you having your time of the month?

Did you "nibble" on any types of food during?

This really bugs me. How is it possible to not eat and not lose? If had "0" weight loss at the morning weigh-in of the end of the fast, I would be very angry, and I would of extended the fast.

Let me know....

Dan

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have been fasting today, and staying true, even though I went to a restaurant with my kids and I wanted to eat with them. Then I went to the movies, and I was ok, hunger-wise. And, I have some good signs, I am peeing really good and frequently. Tonight it will probably wake me up a couple times ~ at minimum.

My daughter has a digital scale, she is going to bring it to me in the morning, and I'll do a weigh-in. I am reluctant, because I don't trust the accuracy of digital scales. At home, I use an expensive "balance" beam "doctors" scale, that is very accurate.

I'll keep you posed...
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    I lost 2.5 lbs. Very happy but know there might be bounce back. When do I log?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    OK Dan, I fasted the "Dan" way on a workday Thursday and had my coffee black and survived a stressful work day while fasting. I just ate breakfast after a 34 hour fast. And the scale went down, but I'm reluctant to log the loss, since I know the scale will be back up a bit tomorrow. My usual method would be to wait an extra day and log the weight for tomorrow, since it might be more accurate. I don't log the ups and downs, only the losses, then wait to log a fresh new loss when it happens.

So what do I do, bite the bullet and log the loss and do it the Dan way ?
  • Everlost_
    Everlost_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Got hungry just before bedtime, so.. I ate a box of cookies

just kidding.. I went to sleep instead.

I get up this morning, walk to the scale with my eyes half closed. It is a doctor's scale so I put the sliders in the general area and start tapping the top slider to make it balance, without looking at the numbers. Got it balanced and finally open my eyes all the way to focus on the numbers and my first words of the day were "Dang, Ditto Dan, it worked!". lol. You know I stepped off and back on just to make sure that was right. So, I did lose some weight, not complaining at all :)

Thanks for sharing your plan Dan, there are such great benefits to fasting and without this little push, I wouldn't have tried more than my 16/8 schedule.

Here are the results of this shortened week.

09/07 Sunday – weighed in on MFP
    09/07 Monday – no change
    09/08 Tuesday – no change
    09/09 Wednesday start fast 7:00 pm – no change
    09/10 Thursday fast day – down 1 lb
    09/11 Friday – down another 2.5 lbs

Total weekly loss – 3.5 lbs
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    @Everlost_ and @Kitnthecat congratulations! I checked Dan's instructions and he logs the day after his fast. So that's what I did.
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been fasting for 36 hours, plan to have breakfast in the next hour or so. I'm not really hungry yet. So scale results are that I dropped 2.8# from Thursday a.m. to this morning.

I think I'll record my weight in MFP tomorrow as that's my routine. Expecting an increase. And I'm curious how the next week will play out on the scale. Wondering about residual effects of shaking things up.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I lost 2.5 lbs. Very happy but know there might be bounce back. When do I log?
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    OK Dan, I fasted the "Dan" way on a workday Thursday and had my coffee black and survived a stressful work day while fasting. I just ate breakfast after a 34 hour fast. And the scale went down, but I'm reluctant to log the loss, since I know the scale will be back up a bit tomorrow. My usual method would be to wait an extra day and log the weight for tomorrow, since it might be more accurate. I don't log the ups and downs, only the losses, then wait to log a fresh new loss when it happens.

So what do I do, bite the bullet and log the loss and do it the Dan way ?

Ok, good. I'll answer both of you this way. If I am happy with my weigh-in and do not extend my fast anymore hours, I log the loss and do an "official" MFP weigh-in. (don't forget to put a status with the "Poseidon Fat Flush, blah, blah,blah...following my instructions above...LOL!)

I want to reiterate, today is one of the most important days of eating, the "break fast" day. If you over-eat today, you will have a regain. Try to be extra careful on carbs and calories. If you follow my recipe again this week, you will gain a little tomorrow and maybe Sunday. Since I weigh daily, on Monday, if I am up, I try to be good and maybe stay at or below on my calories. In other words, I compensate. If I haven't gained any on Monday, I may splurge a little. If I am up, I try to eat less carbs/calories.

Either way, the optimum in this regimen, is to not be over at all, on the day you start the fast. That's has happened several times with me, and on the break fast day, you have seen me report big losses.

But even if I gain 2 lbs by the start of the fast, I would lose THAT weight AND another 2-4 lbs. on my next Break fast day.

For example, the 5 lbs I lost last Friday, I gained back 3ish of them (I wasn't very good this week). And my "recipe" isn't going well this week because I am on vacation and have violated many of my own principles: like not getting enough sleep and exercising too close to fast day and not drinking enough water and timing the water late. So, my weigh-in will suffer. But its not my recipe that is bad, its because I didn't follow it correctly due to logistics.

So far, I'm glad to hear you both had losses, we have Britzen and Middleagemeh not lose anything. I will deal with their test results next.

Dan

• DittoDan
    Options
    Everlost_ wrote: »
    Got hungry just before bedtime, so.. I ate a box of cookies

just kidding.. I went to sleep instead.

I get up this morning, walk to the scale with my eyes half closed. It is a doctor's scale so I put the sliders in the general area and start tapping the top slider to make it balance, without looking at the numbers. Got it balanced and finally open my eyes all the way to focus on the numbers and my first words of the day were "Dang, Ditto Dan, it worked!". lol. You know I stepped off and back on just to make sure that was right. So, I did lose some weight, not complaining at all :)

Thanks for sharing your plan Dan, there are such great benefits to fasting and without this little push, I wouldn't have tried more than my 16/8 schedule.

Here are the results of this shortened week.

09/07 Sunday – weighed in on MFP
    09/07 Monday – no change
    09/08 Tuesday – no change
    09/09 Wednesday start fast 7:00 pm – no change
    09/10 Thursday fast day – down 1 lb
    09/11 Friday – down another 2.5 lbs

Total weekly loss – 3.5 lbs
    zcfvkug7yulo.png
    WOOHOO! That's what I'm talking about! Now, just be really good today...do not overeat on calories/carbs.

Exercise (if you want tomorrow), and do it all over again for the next week. :)

Dan
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I've been fasting for 36 hours, plan to have breakfast in the next hour or so. I'm not really hungry yet. So scale results are that I dropped 2.8# from Thursday a.m. to this morning.

I think I'll record my weight in MFP tomorrow as that's my routine. Expecting an increase. And I'm curious how the next week will play out on the scale. Wondering about residual effects of shaking things up.

Woohoo!

zcfvkug7yulo.png

YAY! Ditto everything said above!

Dan
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options

OK, lets modify your recipe for this week.
    DittoDan wrote: »

You started the fast at 5pm 9/8
    The next day you didn't eat.
    The next morning, (at 6:00 am this morning) you weighed in, and had no loss? Or did you drink the water then do the weigh-in?

If you didn't lose water at the weigh-in, I doubt this experiment was successful. I lose all the weight that night, right before the weigh-in. From 3-6 lbs. Did you pee any during the 24-37 hrs portion of the fast? I have actually peed into a half gallon water pitcher at night, and weighed it and there would be 3-6 pounds of water. That's the tell-tale sign that everything is working.

Did you eat any additional salt during the fast?

Did you do any exercise withing 72 hours before the start of the fast?

Are you having your time of the month?

Did you "nibble" on any types of food during?

This really bugs me. How is it possible to not eat and not lose? If had "0" weight loss at the morning weigh-in of the end of the fast, I would be very angry, and I would of extended the fast.

Let me know....

Dan

OK, I thought of some more stuff. I looked at your diary and it was stellar. I'm thinking you are retaining water.

For next fast day, do this to eliminate "water retention" elements in your "recipe":

1) Salt. You did mention that your mouth was "parched". That's what I call "salt mouth". It wakes me up early in the morning. Its not dehydration. Its because the day before I salted my food too much. I noticed in your diary you ate one teaspoon of salt the day before. That could be the culprit right there. I'm thinking it is too much salt before or during your fast. One or two days before you start the next fast, do not eat salty foods. No bacon, pickles, salty nuts, etc (Google salty foods). Do not add any salt to your food. You should eat salty food and add salt on non-fasting days, like you normally do to prevent Keto Flu. Use the "parched" mouth as a "signal" to scale it back.

2) Bottled mineral water, tap water and well water contains minerals/sodium. Especially well water. You're in the countryside, do you use well water? In the past, I have "desalted" by using distilled water during my fast. Distilled water has absolutely no dissolved sodium or minerals in it. You can buy a gallon of Distilled water at a grocery store for 99 cents. Use that for your next fasting day.

3) For this week, do not eat any artificial sweeteners, of any kind, this whole week.

4) We don't want water retention due to inflammation. Do not do any cardio or other EASY exercise prior to next week's fast. We will call it, "go sedentary".

5) Sleep. You'll have water retention if you don't get enough sleep. Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep before, during and after the fast.

6) Stress, well, that has to be managed too. Stress can keep you from sleeping.

7) Carbs. Maybe the last day before the fast, go as close to "carnivore" as you can. Don't eat hardly any carbs. If you are worried about constipation, maybe eat soft fats, (oils/butter/mayo/soft dairies like sour cream, cream cheeses, soft meats, fish, shrimp, etc.) No red meat.

8) In your diary, I noticed your calories are 1500. My diary says that I am at 1200, but that is scaled back 200 calories because of my unreported indescretions. I weigh 210ish. I'm wondering if your calories should be lower by 100 or 200?

9) You mentioned "Ayurveda", what is that? Does it cause water retention?

That's all I can think of for now. I'm not giving up on you or the finding the "key" to unlock your fasting/weight loss. I'm a locksmith, and I'm trying to file on your key profile ~ a little here and a little there ~ until all the tumblers line up and we can unlock the door to you losing weight again.

Dan

• havingfunnow
    havingfunnow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

09.11.15: Burned 11,900 calories (3.4 pounds) doing the Poseidon 100 Fat Burning Water Fast, 36 hours.

BS=118 k (ketosis)=0.6 Fast time 8p.m. Sep 9th-to today Sep 11th. I plan on a brunch time of Brats-and having a black coffee now.

Dan; Thank you! I couldn't be happier! I had been in a stall and the WF (water fast) helped get me over the hump.
    I documented everything in my food diary and its notes.

I plan on following your "recipe" to the letter. The hardest part for me, was not the slight hunger but the mental challenge on not eating wonderful foods. It seemed almost easier though, to eat nothing than to eat and have something I shouldn't (like the beautiful peaches in my tree in the yard)... I hope I can be this strong next week!

Thank you again for your willingness to share and help us.
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    More thoughts on Salt and Water Quantity:

Salt and water amounts are "Goldilocks".

Yes, I know I told everyone that if you don't get enough salt during the fast, you'll get Keto flu like symptoms or feel "crummy". But on the other hand, eating too much salt will make you retain water. So it has to be "just right". More is not better and less is not better, you have to read your own signals and do your own experimentation to come up with the right amount.

If you don't drink gallons of water, you probably won't need so much salt. Drinking so much water flushes the salt right out of you. That's why I don't drink much more that 8-10 cups of water per day.

And I am NOT dehydrated. My piss is almost clear. Dark yellow piss means you are getting dehydrated. You have to drink enough water to avoid dehydration and not so much that it is hard to manage.

• britzen
    Options
    My responses are in Bold.

You started the fast at 5pm 9/8 Yup!

The next day you didn't eat. Correct, not one bite of anything.

The next morning, (at 6:00 am this morning) you weighed in, and had no loss? Or did you drink the water then do the weigh-in? Weighed First, then drank because I was so dehydrated.

If you didn't lose water at the weigh-in, I doubt this experiment was successful. I lose all the weight that night, right before the weigh-in. From 3-6 lbs. Did you pee any during the 24-37 hrs portion of the fast? yes, but not as much as i usually do, as 80oz is roughly 50% of my usual water intake.

Did you eat any additional salt during the fast? Nope.

Did you do any exercise withing 72 hours before the start of the fast? Nope.

Are you having your time of the month? Nope.

Did you "nibble" on any types of food during? Nope.

This really bugs me. How is it possible to not eat and not lose? Possibly since i was consuming so much less water than usual, my body held onto it, I got VERY dehydrated. Chapped lips, dry mouth.

Yesterday I chugged water like my life depended on it, and this morning, after a hard sleep, I pee'd like Austin Powers and was down 3 lbs.

If had "0" weight loss at the morning weigh-in of the end of the fast, I would be very angry, and I would of extended the fast. Not angry at all, like you said, women have different issues. I am historically scheduled this week to have a WHOOSH, so we will see. i'll do another week and we'll see the results.

Let me know....

Dan

[/quote]

• DittoDan
    Options
    Good news (unofficially). I ate lunch and one pound of water. I just got back from store and bought all new clothes for the high school reunion.

So my daughter brought her digital scale over, I am going to put all of my new clothes on, so I thought I'd weigh-in.

I weigh 2.3 lbs less than last week! If you subtract the pound of water and some food, I reckon I'm down 3+ lbs. ❤️
  • britzen
    Options
    Responses in Bold , Part2.

BTW- Urine on Fast day was DEFINITELY yellow. I usually run Clean, Clear and Copious.

OK, I thought of some more stuff. I looked at your diary and it was stellar. I'm thinking you are retaining water.

For next fast day, do this to eliminate "water retention" elements in your "recipe":

1) Salt. You did mention that your mouth was "parched". That's what I call "salt mouth". It wakes me up early in the morning. Its not dehydration. Its because the day before I salted my food too much. I noticed in your diary you ate one teaspoon of salt the day before. That could be the culprit right there. I'm thinking it is too much salt before or during your fast. One or two days before you start the next fast, do not eat salty foods. No bacon, pickles, salty nuts, etc (Google salty foods). Do not add any salt to your food. You should eat salty food and add salt on non-fasting days, like you normally do to prevent Keto Flu. Use the "parched" mouth as a "signal" to scale it back. Copy. No Salt

2) Bottled mineral water, tap water and well water contains minerals/sodium. Especially well water. You're in the countryside, do you use well water? In the past, I have "desalted" by using distilled water during my fast. Distilled water has absolutely no dissolved sodium or minerals in it. You can buy a gallon of Distilled water at a grocery store for 99 cents. Use that for your next fasting day. No Well, we retrieve water from a Spring down the road that has been tested "soft".

3) For this week, do not eat any artificial sweeteners, of any kind, this whole week. Copy

4) We don't want water retention due to inflammation. Do not do any cardio or other EASY exercise prior to next week's fast. We will call it, "go sedentary". That may be hard, as a homestead doesn't run itself, but I'll try. I already did my E.A.S.Y. exercise today by putting the roof on the addition.

5) Sleep. You'll have water retention if you don't get enough sleep. Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep before, during and after the fast. I sleep by circadian rhythm, we shut the power off, no vampire loads, lights or exterior illumination. I average 8 hrs nightly.

6) Stress, well, that has to be managed too. Stress can keep you from sleeping. Not a lot, i'm living the dream!

7) Carbs. Maybe the last day before the fast, go as close to "carnivore" as you can. Don't eat hardly any carbs. If you are worried about constipation, maybe eat soft fats, (oils/butter/mayo/soft dairies like sour cream, cream cheeses, soft meats, fish, shrimp, etc.) No red meat. Haven't had a problem in that department, running an 80%+ fat ratio keeps me regular.

8) In your diary, I noticed your calories are 1500. My diary says that I am at 1200, but that is scaled back 200 calories because of my unreported indescretions. I weigh 210ish. I'm wondering if your calories should be lower by 100 or 200? Ugh

9) You mentioned "Ayurveda", what is that? Does it cause water retention? Ayurveda is the ancient homeopathic practices of India, where fasting detoxes have been practiced for centuries. As one truly detoxes, they experience less than pleasurable side effects, a sign your body is purging. Lethargy, pains, colds all fall into this category. I had a little back pain the night of fasting, which I NEVER have, and it went away the next morning.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm not giving up on you or the finding the "key" to unlock your fasting/weight loss. I'm a locksmith, and I'm trying to file on your key profile ~ a little here and a little there ~ until all the tumblers line up and we can unlock the door to you losing weight again. I may be pissing in the wind, but I think i needed more water.

Dan

[/quote]