britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd say a 6, easy. Normally a 1
    DittoDan wrote: »
    1vac6jwfqd9k.jpg

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    OK so I gave in and logged my weight loss. The scale is down 2.7 pounds, but I know it will be up tomorrow and Sunday as it usually does right after a fasting day for me, especially since I am meeting many co-workers at a Chinese buffet tomorrow. I ate sensibly today, but will now fast until supper tomorrow, more than 24 hours, so hopefully that will help.

I just can't include the line about Poseidon sorry....that's the name of the place where I work and we suffered a devastating flood with raw sewage back-up which has forced me out of my office. Maybe I burned more calories today, finding my office and personal belongings and lugging them out to my makeshift office and my car. Yuck what a mess, the elevator pits are still reeking of you know what.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we could call it the Neptune fat flush instead for @Kitnthecat ? Neptune / Poseidon the same watery god but Roman / ancient Greek. Good loss btw
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Thanks @totaloblivia. The scale is up 0.64 lbs today, less than I expected, so that's good. I'll easily lose that within a few days. Not quite as scared today, but still have a desire to log the loss the day after a fast, instead of right before I break the fast.

As time goes on, I may incorporate some of the Dan methods into my usual routine. So far it's a victory that I was able to tolerate black coffee, especially while at work. I feel like I've gained a bit more flexibility, and another trick in my bag of keto weight loss stall-breaking tricks. :)
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So I am....unsettled. I broke the fast Friday around 10 a.m. As the day wore on, my appetite increased. I ended up eating more than I planned to, yet stayed slightly under on net carbs & calories. Fully expecting a gain Saturday morning. But...but....it went down again! Just 0.2#, but it is down. I planned to record my weight in MFP today, so I did. But as the scale and I are not friends, I don't think I can weigh again for a couple days. It is just too nerve-wracking!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OK - day 1 fasting in the books. I just woke up and weighed and am gonna record some thoughts before the day gets too busy.

My Week Weight Wise:
    9/7 299 Monday
    9/9 300 Wednesday
    9/10 301.6 Thursday
    9/11 300.6 Friday Fasting Day
    9/12 298.4 Saturday

My last MFP weight log in was 299 on Monday the 7th. I have started a Word file and logged the above there, not on MFP. So, if I log today it will only show a loss of .6 lb., but that would only be for a 5 day period, not my usual 7 or 8. I usually weigh once a week, so as I have mentioned, weighing once a day was a pain in my tush emotionally! (Just being honest.) And particularly so, because I recorded two weight gains. I have been steadily averaging 2 lbs lost a week since starting Keto on June 1st with no stalls - yet. I know they'll come eventually.

I am very strict 20 grams total (not net) carbs a day, and my diary is open. There was no cheating or anything particularly unusual about my week's eating that I can see. I sometimes struggle to eat enough protein, and it is easy for me to eat at a 70 25 5 clip on my macros.

The two days I gained this week were probably bowel issues, or perhaps Monday's 299 was a bit of an aberration and 300 or so would have been more accurate. It seems like I am averaging a bowel movement every other day (which I don't like). I weigh on the same scale all the time, a digital one I purchased a couple years ago. The thing is, if I weigh once a week all those things average themselves out, sometimes showing .6 of a pound lost in a week and sometimes showing 4 or 5 lbs lost.

So.... it looks like I lost 2.2 lbs on the fast day, even though I won't log it like that. I will go ahead and log my weight today, but not in Dan's formula. I think I will try another week and see how it goes, although this is the last week I will weigh myself daily this week - I hate it! That will put me on a week rotation with the fasting, and we'll see if I can give Dan some props next week!

Observations:
    I will pay more attention to my mental state and routine on my next fast day. I feel like I got "sloppy" in my day's routine, and overall the day was not a pleasant one, and I think that it can be. I was not "hungry", at least nothing remotely like the carb hunger of the past. But my tummy "felt funny", and I certainly didn't get an energy rush this time. I purchased some Milk of Magnesia yesterday and will start using it today and see how that affects my regularity.

I will give this another week and see if I want to make it a part of my routine. I am still fairly early (just over 3 months) into Keto, so I'm still losing regularly. I am already doing Intermittent Fasting - about 4 or 5 days a week, in that I usually have dinner around 8 PM, and then don't eat until lunch (noon to 2) the next day, and just have BPC in the morning (which I LOVE!). I will eat a light breakfast this morning, take some Milk of Magnesia, then off we go!

Sorry for writing a "book", but it seems like Dan wants details, so here they are! Feel free to ask any questions!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we could call it the Neptune fat flush instead for @Kitnthecat ? Neptune / Poseidon the same watery god but Roman / ancient Greek. Good loss btw

I don't care about the name. Actually in my "friends-name-my-sexy-weight-loss-system" there were several good names.

The principle is to give it a name, use it, then your other friends may ask what it is and try it. Then you send them here.

Dan

• DittoDan
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Thanks @totaloblivia. The scale is up 0.64 lbs today, less than I expected, so that's good. I'll easily lose that within a few days. Not quite as scared today, but still have a desire to log the loss the day after a fast, instead of right before I break the fast.

As time goes on, I may incorporate some of the Dan methods into my usual routine. So far it's a victory that I was able to tolerate black coffee, especially while at work. I feel like I've gained a bit more flexibility, and another trick in my bag of keto weight loss stall-breaking tricks. :)
    So I am....unsettled. I broke the fast Friday around 10 a.m. As the day wore on, my appetite increased. I ended up eating more than I planned to, yet stayed slightly under on net carbs & calories. Fully expecting a gain Saturday morning. But...but....it went down again! Just 0.2#, but it is down. I planned to record my weight in MFP today, so I did. But as the scale and I are not friends, I don't think I can weigh again for a couple days. It is just too nerve-wracking!
    nicintime wrote: »
    OK - day 1 fasting in the books. I just woke up and weighed and am gonna record some thoughts before the day gets too busy.

My Week Weight Wise:
    9/7 299 Monday
    9/9 300 Wednesday
    9/10 301.6 Thursday
    9/11 300.6 Friday Fasting Day
    9/12 298.4 Saturday

My last MFP weight log in was 299 on Monday the 7th. I have started a Word file and logged the above there, not on MFP. So, if I log today it will only show a loss of .6 lb., but that would only be for a 5 day period, not my usual 7 or 8. I usually weigh once a week, so as I have mentioned, weighing once a day was a pain in my tush emotionally! (Just being honest.) And particularly so, because I recorded two weight gains. I have been steadily averaging 2 lbs lost a week since starting Keto on June 1st with no stalls - yet. I know they'll come eventually.

I am very strict 20 grams total (not net) carbs a day, and my diary is open. There was no cheating or anything particularly unusual about my week's eating that I can see. I sometimes struggle to eat enough protein, and it is easy for me to eat at a 70 25 5 clip on my macros.

The two days I gained this week were probably bowel issues, or perhaps Monday's 299 was a bit of an aberration and 300 or so would have been more accurate. It seems like I am averaging a bowel movement every other day (which I don't like). I weigh on the same scale all the time, a digital one I purchased a couple years ago. The thing is, if I weigh once a week all those things average themselves out, sometimes showing .6 of a pound lost in a week and sometimes showing 4 or 5 lbs lost.

So.... it looks like I lost 2.2 lbs on the fast day, even though I won't log it like that. I will go ahead and log my weight today, but not in Dan's formula. I think I will try another week and see how it goes, although this is the last week I will weigh myself daily this week - I hate it! That will put me on a week rotation with the fasting, and we'll see if I can give Dan some props next week!

Observations:
    I will pay more attention to my mental state and routine on my next fast day. I feel like I got "sloppy" in my day's routine, and overall the day was not a pleasant one, and I think that it can be. I was not "hungry", at least nothing remotely like the carb hunger of the past. But my tummy "felt funny", and I certainly didn't get an energy rush this time. I purchased some Milk of Magnesia yesterday and will start using it today and see how that affects my regularity.

I will give this another week and see if I want to make it a part of my routine. I am still fairly early (just over 3 months) into Keto, so I'm still losing regularly. I am already doing Intermittent Fasting - about 4 or 5 days a week, in that I usually have dinner around 8 PM, and then don't eat until lunch (noon to 2) the next day, and just have BPC in the morning (which I LOVE!). I will eat a light breakfast this morning, take some Milk of Magnesia, then off we go!

Sorry for writing a "book", but it seems like Dan wants details, so here they are! Feel free to ask any questions!

All good. The experiment helps you discover new ways to lose.

On the weighing every day: I only promoted that so you can see whats going on. If you "are good" on the following days, then you don't have to worry about weighing every day. The goal is to be as close to last week's weigh-in (on break fast day) so that after fast again, is will move down again. You will lose whatever you gained AND more.

The reason I weigh every day, is because I'm not a very disciplined person. I cheat, indulge, and not log. So, after I have my indiscretions, it shows up as weight gains MORE than I wanted. So I check that by eating less the days before the fast. Look into my diary, you'll see that on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So I use the scale as a tool to help adjust for my sloppiness.

Dan
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    britzen wrote: »
    Responses in Bold , Part2.

BTW- Urine on Fast day was DEFINITELY yellow. I usually run Clean, Clear and Copious.

OK, I thought of some more stuff. I looked at your diary and it was stellar. I'm thinking you are retaining water.

For next fast day, do this to eliminate "water retention" elements in your "recipe":

1) Salt. You did mention that your mouth was "parched". That's what I call "salt mouth". It wakes me up early in the morning. Its not dehydration. Its because the day before I salted my food too much. I noticed in your diary you ate one teaspoon of salt the day before. That could be the culprit right there. I'm thinking it is too much salt before or during your fast. One or two days before you start the next fast, do not eat salty foods. No bacon, pickles, salty nuts, etc (Google salty foods). Do not add any salt to your food. You should eat salty food and add salt on non-fasting days, like you normally do to prevent Keto Flu. Use the "parched" mouth as a "signal" to scale it back. Copy. No Salt

2) Bottled mineral water, tap water and well water contains minerals/sodium. Especially well water. You're in the countryside, do you use well water? In the past, I have "desalted" by using distilled water during my fast. Distilled water has absolutely no dissolved sodium or minerals in it. You can buy a gallon of Distilled water at a grocery store for 99 cents. Use that for your next fasting day. No Well, we retrieve water from a Spring down the road that has been tested "soft".

3) For this week, do not eat any artificial sweeteners, of any kind, this whole week. Copy

4) We don't want water retention due to inflammation. Do not do any cardio or other EASY exercise prior to next week's fast. We will call it, "go sedentary". That may be hard, as a homestead doesn't run itself, but I'll try. I already did my E.A.S.Y. exercise today by putting the roof on the addition.

5) Sleep. You'll have water retention if you don't get enough sleep. Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep before, during and after the fast. I sleep by circadian rhythm, we shut the power off, no vampire loads, lights or exterior illumination. I average 8 hrs nightly.

6) Stress, well, that has to be managed too. Stress can keep you from sleeping. Not a lot, i'm living the dream!

7) Carbs. Maybe the last day before the fast, go as close to "carnivore" as you can. Don't eat hardly any carbs. If you are worried about constipation, maybe eat soft fats, (oils/butter/mayo/soft dairies like sour cream, cream cheeses, soft meats, fish, shrimp, etc.) No red meat. Haven't had a problem in that department, running an 80%+ fat ratio keeps me regular.

8) In your diary, I noticed your calories are 1500. My diary says that I am at 1200, but that is scaled back 200 calories because of my unreported indescretions. I weigh 210ish. I'm wondering if your calories should be lower by 100 or 200? Ugh

9) You mentioned "Ayurveda", what is that? Does it cause water retention? Ayurveda is the ancient homeopathic practices of India, where fasting detoxes have been practiced for centuries. As one truly detoxes, they experience less than pleasurable side effects, a sign your body is purging. Lethargy, pains, colds all fall into this category. I had a little back pain the night of fasting, which I NEVER have, and it went away the next morning.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm not giving up on you or the finding the "key" to unlock your fasting/weight loss. I'm a locksmith, and I'm trying to file on your key profile ~ a little here and a little there ~ until all the tumblers line up and we can unlock the door to you losing weight again. I may be pissing in the wind, but I think i needed more water.

Dan

[/quote]

OK, OK, drink more water. and less salt.

But don't drink so much that you have to pee every hour.

When you say "UGH" to your calorie count, all I can think of is, "Do you want to lose weight, or your satisfied with your weight now?" Maybe you thought Keto is a magic bullet that will effortlessly make you lose weight? (as so many do). The only thing Keto does, is make a person "less hungry" while they run a bigger deficit in calories. (And Keto has many other benefits like less inflammation).

Keto is a prerequisite to allow you to water fast easier. Basically water fasting increases your weekly calorie deficit. And the result is more weight loss.

THIS DISCUSSION GROUP is illegal if you read the MFP rules. But I'm not going to say the "S" word here.

I am dedicated to losing weight and not moaning and whining about stalls. I actively want to lose weight. Water fasting is the most efficient way to lose weight, bar none. There is no study that concludes that NOT eating food results in a weight maintenance or gain. It works everytime its tried (when done properly). The only time it fails, on short fasts like 36 hours, is when the water retention principles are violated. That's why I am trying to figure out what was done wrong, when a person says they didn't lose weight when water fasting. There has to be a reason.

khvu77iuiy14.jpg
    .........."You mean I'll lose weight if I don't eat?".........
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    More Water, less salt. Copy.

Yeah, I say Ugh. Maybe I have to start logging my homesteading activities on a regular basis. Earlier in my Keto journey, I felt drained at 1200 cals and trying to work this homestead. Maybe now that i'm Keto adapted I can handle it. I don't think anything is a magic bullet, what i'm hoping that the weird loss profile I have (nothing for 2-3 weeks and then a 10-12lb WHOOSH every month) will become more linear.

In the past 30hrs, which would cover Days 6&7 of the Fast, I'm down 3.2 lbs, maybe it was a delay due to dehydration, maybe it's the start of the predictable WHOOSH I get, maybe it's muscle as my quads are as cut as they were when I did heavy mountain biking. I've lost an inch off my upper thighs this past week.

I think this next round should show more accurate results. I lowered my cals by 200 for 1350 a day. No salt, no A.S. I'll limit water consumption to 96oz.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    britzen wrote: »
    More Water, less salt. Copy.

Yeah, I say Ugh. Maybe I have to start logging my homesteading activities on a regular basis. Earlier in my Keto journey, I felt drained at 1200 cals and trying to work this homestead. Maybe now that i'm Keto adapted I can handle it. I don't think anything is a magic bullet, what i'm hoping that the weird loss profile I have (nothing for 2-3 weeks and then a 10-12lb WHOOSH every month) will become more linear.

In the past 30hrs, which would cover Days 6&7 of the Fast, I'm down 3.2 lbs, maybe it was a delay due to dehydration, maybe it's the start of the predictable WHOOSH I get, maybe it's muscle as my quads are as cut as they were when I did heavy mountain biking. I've lost an inch off my upper thighs this past week.

I think this next round should show more accurate results. I lowered my cals by 200 for 1350 a day. No salt, no A.S. I'll limit water consumption to 96oz.

Good plan. I would only scale back the salt right before the fast (one day before). Otherwise you'll go into the other ditch of not enough electrolytes. Goldilocks.

Keep calm and keto on! :)

• azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I did ok, no weight loss, but, I am on meds from my surgery and still have a lot of inflammation, so I am thinking maybe that's it? I did fine with the fasting. I actually broke the fast later than I intended on Friday, as I had my post op appt in Phoenix and its 100 miles away and I had to get on the road. lol....

My carbs are always under 20 a day and I always have a calorie deficit. I have it written down, but its in my car and there is a snake on the driveway, so it will have to wait...not a venomous snake, Its a King snake that I have named Skippy until I figure a better name, but I really don't like snakes and he lives in my yard...they eat Rattlesnakes and mice, so I allow him to stay, but I don't socialize with him or her much. ugh

I haven't been able to exercise as I was restricted by my surgeon, however, he says I am weeks ahead of where I am supposed to be, so I am cleared for PT. The PT will be 2 times a week. Will that be ok, or do you want me to wait and do the next water fast when I am finished with the PT so I am only exercising once a week?

So am I a total destroyer of your recipe and challenge? I apologize. Really.

Everyone is doing so great! Way to go!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Wow @azcowgirrlup ... you have come through an awful lot, so you definitely get a medal for something! Snakes freak me out I would NOT like that. Luckily for me st Patrick drove all the non-existent snakes out of Ireland.
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sorry Dan,

I tried. Got to 7pm and was so hungry that I ate 1100 calories in a single sitting. At the time my glucose was in the 60's and ketones at 2.9. So It kind of backfired for me.

It's not my macro's either. I keep them at 5/20/75 about 98 percent of the time. Even when I muck it up my macros are low carb at 10/20/70.

I can do the traditional intermittent fasting with no problems. I've read that fasting for women is a bit different from fasting for men in any case. Also, when I was doing the longer fast I had zilch energy. I almost fell asleep around three times and had a huge headache most of the day. Both are atypical for me.

Oh and I gained a pound over night. I simply don't think it will work for me. Im glad everyone else is able to complete the recipe and get great results though :)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    simbartes wrote: »
    Sorry Dan,

I tried. Got to 7pm and was so hungry that I ate 1100 calories in a single sitting. At the time my glucose was in the 60's and ketones at 2.9. So It kind of backfired for me.

It's not my macro's either. I keep them at 5/20/75 about 98 percent of the time. Even when I muck it up my macros are low carb at 10/20/70.

I can do the traditional intermittent fasting with no problems. I've read that fasting for women is a bit different from fasting for men in any case. Also, when I was doing the longer fast I had zilch energy. I almost fell asleep around three times and had a huge headache most of the day. Both are atypical for me.

Oh and I gained a pound over night. I simply don't think it will work for me. Im glad everyone else is able to complete the recipe and get great results though :)

That's ok. I'm just curious, were you taking any diabetic meds? It's not normal for a person to drop that low. You might want to have that checked out, you may have hypoglycemia.

Headaches, sometimes, are a sign of dehydration. Either too much Salt or not enough water.

If you are losing anyway, don't worry about adopting this method, continue with whatever works. :)
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank Dan.
    I'm wishing that mfp had a "like" button in the forums
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    finished my second fast today. very clear loss this time. .6kg
    let's see if it sticks after tonight's meal.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    simbartes wrote: »
    Sorry Dan,

That's ok. I'm just curious, were you taking any diabetic meds? It's not normal for a person to drop that low. You might want to have that checked out, you may have hypoglycemia.

Headaches, sometimes, are a sign of dehydration. Either too much Salt or not enough water.

If you are losing anyway, don't worry about adopting this method, continue with whatever works. :)

Hi Simbartes,

Just to be fair to the others and me, I reviewed your diary, and noticed some things that need clarification, I'll enumerate them here:

1) Your notes say you did the fast on Saturday, but you have a full breakfast on Saturday, and a full dinner, neither the same and neither have 1,100 calories, together they have about 1,100 calories. But why the separation in the diary? How could you of "broke" the fast with two different meals? or why would you enter it in as two separate meals and not one meal?
    2) You exercised, and was logged by Fitbit, very strenuously, (1,194 calories burned) one day before the fast. That was definitely not in the recipe. I warned everybody about not doing exercise before or during the fast and on numerous occasions. (water retention, results in poor weight loss ~ exactly what I predicted would happen).
    3) A day later, your diary reported you lost 3 lbs... (proof of #2 above)
    4) In you diary notes for the fast day, they say 72 for BG, I assume this was after you ate?
    5) A really odd thing ~ is your diary has entries in it for future days, like until next Friday. (do you "pre-log" stuff?)

I wrote a very specific recipe for every day. And I wanted accurate logging so we can review if a person didn't lose. That's what I am doing now.

Dan

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I did ok, no weight loss, but, I am on meds from my surgery and still have a lot of inflammation, so I am thinking maybe that's it? I did fine with the fasting. I actually broke the fast later than I intended on Friday, as I had my post op appt in Phoenix and its 100 miles away and I had to get on the road. lol....

My carbs are always under 20 a day and I always have a calorie deficit. I have it written down, but its in my car and there is a snake on the driveway, so it will have to wait...not a venomous snake, Its a King snake that I have named Skippy until I figure a better name, but I really don't like snakes and he lives in my yard...they eat Rattlesnakes and mice, so I allow him to stay, but I don't socialize with him or her much. ugh

I haven't been able to exercise as I was restricted by my surgeon, however, he says I am weeks ahead of where I am supposed to be, so I am cleared for PT. The PT will be 2 times a week. Will that be ok, or do you want me to wait and do the next water fast when I am finished with the PT so I am only exercising once a week?

So am I a total destroyer of your recipe and challenge? I apologize. Really.

Everyone is doing so great! Way to go!

The best part about water fasting is that ~ you don't have to exercise! I lost most of my weight before doing any exercise. But I couldn't take exercise out of the recipe, or the "exercise" people would complain. But I rather asked the "exercise" people to do their exercise way before the fast. Because to do exercise right before the fast is a big no-no. Your body will retain water and you will get poor results.

You shouldn't stop trying because of one single mishap. If I had done that, I'd still weigh 250 lbs.

Here are some famous inspirational sayings by Thomas A. Edison, one of the greatest inventors of all time:
    (commenting on the light bulb) I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Restlessness is discontent and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure.

Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.

• DittoDan
    Options
    finished my second fast today. very clear loss this time. .6kg
    let's see if it sticks after tonight's meal.

.6kg = 1.3 lbs.

Were you in a stall prior to this?

Also, how close to your goal weight are you?

And/or how much weight do you have left to lose to get to your goal weight?

Thank you,

Dan