Misc Chat Thread

Options
14567810»

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    So.. is it weird that it takes me an 8 hour shift to drink a protein shake? Yeah, I'm not good at that. I bring it to work cause it's convenient but if we're busy, I don't even drink all of it in that 8 hour time frame. Yep...

Maybe I should switch to drinking one in morning before work on the days I use it for protein boost. *ponders things*
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    So I contacted a friend tonight about getting together during the holidays. She's been working on getting back into running. She told me that she wanted to talk to me about strength training (we are Instagram friends and she's seen my progress pics). I was really flattered and told her I'd love to talk to her, show her some lifts. She replied that she is looking for toning, nothing too bulky or manly!! OMG

Show her this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
    OK, there may be a couple of women on there who are genetically gifted in the muscle building department. Most everyone has to work for every ounce of "bulk" from muscle, so it's not an issue for the average gal. I'm one of those who build muscle fairly well, but I'm also overweight. No one thinks I'm body-builder material, but they DO think that I weigh much less than I actually do. That's where lifting gets the winning points. You don't have to concentrate on pounds, but on composition, since you LOOK slimmer and WEAR smaller sizes when that weight is composed of more muscle than the average.
    That is one of the inspiration reads that got me started. Strength programs can be soo simple and soo worth it for the inches lost. The best part is the actual STRENGTH! Mental and emotional health can lead to physical transformations.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    So, most of my 5k and 10k training, was done at a park near here. It's kind of nice though a little short so I have to do a loop around a couple of times to get the 6 mile distance in, but still much better than staring at the gym while on the treadmill. However, live in Oregon and we've had rain for about a week. Boss had flooding in his basement in the beginning due to a structure issue that he resolved but stuff got ruined from the first days of downpour. Hadn't rained as much past couple of days but can tell we've gotten a fair amount of water. Made the distance I could run shorter because I didn't have a canoe with me.

This was part of the path I used to take:

2qi5p38.jpg

And other section over here, which if you look real close, there is a bench some where in the midst of all the water.

2954k90.jpg

There is a river in the area, along with a little wetland, plant section and three parks sort of connect through the different paths. No connection right now because of the water. It's to the point that the water isn't that far from the bridge (walkway and train). Yep, just a lot of water.

vep2ft.jpg
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Wow, @DawnEmbers! That's a lot of water!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    David Bowie died. How can this be
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @sumiblue it is a sad day because of that
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I saw the unfortunate news last night at the gym on the tv. Very sad. Obligatory meme instead of ramble about french brunch, necessary. Found online so hopefully it works and doesn't take up the whole screen, though I suppose if any picture takes up a screen, Bowie is an acceptable option.

screen-shot-2016-01-11-at-7-13-22-am.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    :'(
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    :( you guys that he meant a lot to have all of my sympathy. i can think of a couple of people who'll change my life a bit when they die. and even though i wouldn't have said bowie was one of them i can kind of imagine the feeling.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Took my first pre-workout BCAAs. Waiting to become bionic in 3...2...1.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options

hehehe

I'm already pondering which BCAAs to try next. The watermelon is okay but too sweet, for me. I love watermelon candy but always the kind that's a tiny bit sour (cause most sour candy isn't very sour according to my taste buds). I bought Myprotein cause well, I can't really have their protein and wanted to try something from them during the cyber monday deals. Nice product so far though I haven't paid much attention really to state the results compared to before.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I don't do fruity flavored stuff & didn't want to drop $$ on a tub of BCAAs so got capsules. Took some before workout & after. I felt pretty good during my workout today and I have (previously) been feeling kind of weak due to bring sick & doing fasted workouts. That's why I'm trying BCAAs. I did add 5 lbs to my deadlift after weeks of not-so-hot DLs @135. Hmmm...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

lol. i cut mine by half the assumed dose today, because conservative. and also cheap.

results not as stellar as monday, but we'll see. i may yet do the second half of the dose while i think about making dinner.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    All this talk of BCAA stuff had me googling yesterday....I feel daft looking at that sort of thing when I am only 3 months into lifting, like I am thinking of myself as being "better" than I am, if that makes sense. I shall resist until at least payday!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I'm less likely to take pills. I remember my vitamins maybe 5 times a month, on a good month. I just have always struggled. Even when something important, I'd still not remember every day, like with a 7 day antibiotic set which would take me 10 days to get through... Yeah. So, I'd rather just make my water have a little flavor. The Myprotein isn't too bad, especially on deal. I might try the sour apple next. hmmm

I posted about it over in the NROLFW group, so I should talk about it here too. After months of planning and considering, I made the plunge and switched gyms. Well, I'm in transition as how the recent one works is you pay first and last month, that way no contract and that made for an easy, painless cancellation of membership. New gym is smaller but is still 24 hours with a location right across the street from work and a location closer to my apartment that I'll be able to go anytime I want after I've been a member for 30 days (until then I can just go with coworker who is a member there if I want).

New gym is much smaller but has pretty much all the equipment I need. Only struggle will be bench press cause they don't have a regular bench with rack. I will have to learn how to bench in the squat rack. They also are against weight dropping (as most are) with some concern of that intimidating others, but I don't drop my deadlifts and I work out after 11 pm. Considering not many people are there at 11 am, doubt I have to worry about bothering anyone when I go. I did mention a concern on no steps being available on the main gym floor, aside from the stackable aerobic step, because I can't reach the top of the cable machine to lower it for curls or face pulls or anything. The owner was nice and said she'd talk to her husband (they own gyms together) about looking into getting something. I even have to step on the seat to reach the lat pull bar cause yeah, short.

The bonus part is that they have new equipment. So, fancy cardio machine with touch screens and food network (very important for steady state cardio). Plus, they have a room for fitness class but it's more like the home video version with a big screen. Can pick whatever class you want if the room is available, no schedules to follow or instructors. Not helpful if you need tips and form checks, but great to get in a little zumba while going around the sometimes changing work schedule or trying out something never even heard of before without having too many other people around. Plus, my coworker can go there too cause she's a member of the gym near where we live and has been long enough to go to any of the locations.

So, it's going to be a new little adventure. I won't do my power days there yet, going to the first gym this weekend because I might try 110 on bench and not ready to do it with a new set up. But Tuesday, I'll be at the new gym having fun with upper hypertrophy and cardio.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Yeah, most people don't do bcaa capsules. So far, doesn't bother me. I bench in my home squat rack. I just lower the pins to the right height for racking & lower safeties. Drag bench into the squat rack & off you go. I feel safer than when I used the bench rack at my planet fitness because it had no safeties. Sounds like your new gym will be very convenient for you!
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I also bench in my power cage at home. Just pull the bench in like Sumiblue.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I am covering a coworker's morning shift instead of having the day off, so will be lifting after that at the new gym. Will be attempting incline bench in the rack. Will get to see if it gets busy near the after work time (since I'll be there at about 5pm).

Got some stuff done today since rest day and no work. Little bit of food prep done and grocery list for tomorrow, which will be purchased after work. Not quite as much meal prep but having one less day off affects that a little so I still made progress in my goal of doing meal prep. Need to keep working on it so I have healthy options beyond eating jerky for dinner at work. :wink: