Misc Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything where you neither need the safeties or need the bar to start high.
    I always use the cage to squat and OHP. I will row and DL from an open spot on the floor and bench at a bench station. I can't use the squat racks to squat, because the fixed safeties are too high for me. But, the women's only gym I go to only has one Olympic barbell and no dedicated bench station, so when I go there, I need to use the cage for all the main lifts.

I once saw a woman in this women's only gym pull a bench in to the cage, and use it to put all her stuff on. She didn't actually use the cage, barbell, or bench for anything, just to put her water, dumb bells and notebook on, then did her stuff in front of it. Don't be that guy :P

And if I see a cage or rack with weights still on it, but no one seems to be using it, I will usually just ask someone nearby if they know if anyone is still using it. If they also think it has been abandoned, I assume it is up for grabs.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Has anyone experienced numbness and tingling in their leg during Kettlebell swings? It was almost as though my leg was falling asleep toward the end of my workout. I'm hoping I'm not pinching a nerve.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Pretty much anything where you neither need the safeties or need the bar to start high.
    I always use the cage to squat and OHP. I will row and DL from an open spot on the floor and bench at a bench station.

Ok, this is exactly what I've been doing! I feel like a winner for not dorking out on this yet.
    krokador wrote: »
    The one thing I have seen that had me shaking my head at my gym was that one guy who REMOVED the bar from the rack in order to do... dumbbell overhead presses IN the rack. I never understood that one... He wasn't doing anything else in there!
    That's a pretty funny visual. Maybe he feels safe in there. Lol...

My gym pretty much has this cage thing, 1 bench press setup, and a bunch of cable-y things. It's VERY small. There's never really anyone there (2 other people has been my max people sighting so far!) so I can't embarrass myself too bad. But still, good to start out with the right habits. :)

Thanks, all, for answering my silly questions :smiley:
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @BethAnnieT there is never a silly question it's better to ask about something if you're not sure than to do something and be told afterwards you're doing it wrong. And your q may just help someone else out there who was too afraid to ask :D
    The latest silly q I asked in gym was to a young guy probably no more than 22 how he could eat and drink protein shakes in the gym a couple of mins before lifting- He said he was used to it, me it makes me want to throw up to have anything in my stomach at least an hr and half.

We spend our lives teaching children to ask questions but as adults we don't ask them in fear of looking silly.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the other thing i do in the rack (or cage, if at other gym) is overhead press. i don't have to do it there, but i do prefer it as i always feel like my grip might be a bit sloppy the times when i've cleaned the bar from the floor.

others do this as well where i lift, so i feel fairly okay about it. however, i will hand the rack over to someone who's waiting to squat, unless they're a real dick in the way that they ask. i always can go and press on the floor, but no-one can back-squat out there.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    So I contacted a friend tonight about getting together during the holidays. She's been working on getting back into running. She told me that she wanted to talk to me about strength training (we are Instagram friends and she's seen my progress pics). I was really flattered and told her I'd love to talk to her, show her some lifts. She replied that she is looking for toning, nothing too bulky or manly!! OMG
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    She replied that she is looking for toning, nothing too bulky or manly!! OMG
    Everyone is terrified of this! It's really hard to explain it's not going to happen....

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue Tell her to look on pinterest for powerlifting women or something and she won't see many "manly" or "bulky" looking women there! You don't get much more feminine than some of those strong ladies (yes, I accept some of the pictures will have been airbrushed, but still, the attraction is not bulk, it is strength and curvaceousness! (if I'm making any sense at all!!)

Went to the gym today - boy could I feel Monday evening's workout in my whole body. Still, I did it, even if I do feel like jelly now I am at the office! I didn't sleep particularly well, which didn't help, so I am pleased with myself for not turning the alarm off at 5.30am and telling myself I didn't need to go!

I may not be increasing my weights at each session, but every time I go, I realise I am consistent in my efforts - working hard, 3 times a week without fail, and most importantly I am loving the work, and loving the results. So, hurrahs all round!

Christmas party season starts for me on Friday, so I have actually sat down already and "booked in" my gym sessions in my diary to make sure I can remain consistent yet not interfere with my social life (and hangovers!). It's all about balance!!

• Ariadnula
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well done on booking stuff in, @kimiuzzell. I feel like I've set times now and people (friends, husband) know now they can't just change. Which means I know it, too, and just make myself go!
    Last year I went to the gym on 1 Jan. I remember thinking "Wow, everyone in the gym looks really fit, it's usually more of a mix", and then "oh. Well, yes, that's the people who would come on 1 Jan..."

Edited to add - and yes, hangovers happen, you have to plan :-)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who does this!! I have taken a note of the festive opening hours and am pleased to see that I can fit things in without any real difficulties. Even going in after work and before meeting friends on Christmas Eve!

My old gym was a very reasonably priced one but it meant it was full in January and February of new year's resolution people. Now, don't get me wrong, I am glad that people want to exercise and would encourage it, but I could never get on the kit (although mainly cardio before I saw the lifting light!) and most of them had given up by the end of February. My current gym is more expensive so you do tend to get a more steady clientele so hopefully I won't be fighting for kit with too many uncommitted newbies.

That sounds really harsh. I am a very bad person. But I am a very bad person who wants to lift!!!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Ha, I have the same thoughts every year.

"Must encourage new people!"
    "Man, get out of my way!"

At least, as you say, they're less likely to be hogging the squat rack.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    But I am a very bad person who wants to lift!!!

:D:D:D i'm dreading it too.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    That sounds really harsh. I am a very bad person. But I am a very bad person who wants to lift!!!

I typically manage to avoid the new year resolutioners for the most part by being there at 6AM before work. That's just too darn early for the flakes xP

That and they tend to be afraid of free weights so really, the area of the gym I usually am in is not much more crowded than usual. Well maybe now with the crossfit craze it might.

Winter does have a higher traffic rate than summer tho, now that I think about it. It does tend to be pretty dead aroudn teh holidays, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Except last year when they opened only from 12 to 5pm on the 26th. That was the worst day to be in there ever... They have expanded opening hours this year, thank lawd. (Not that I will be going in on the 26th, but ah well)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    skipping workouts this week due to misaligned rib that my chiro put right. feel like a schlub but it's still tender and i'm not sure everything's normal yet. have put in a whole DAY just working trigger points in my iliocostalis and telling myself not to fall into a sulk and a funk just for skipping a week.

. . . someone tell me that not-lifting is the right thing to do?
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Not lifting is the right thing to do! A week isn't that long, you won't lose that much in strength and getting that all healed up will more than make up for it.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue - get your friend to read this - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

(I ignore all the paleo crap)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    hah. it's taken me a year to gain the little bit of muscle i have. your friend would surely cop a reality check if you showed her your numbers and then showed her some of your latest pictures. you're looking great, and no 'bulky' muscle in sight.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Staci from Nerdfitness was one of my inspirations to start lifting heavy! I always direct people to her story. Still, I think my friend is looking for a slim, non-muscular-looking aesthetic. She wants to improve her running & is not concerned with how heavy she can lift unless it helps her to that end. I'll find out more when I meet with her. She's not heavy now, just looking to get more trim, I think.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs even if you have to miss a couple of weeks of lifting til you're right again. It's better than causing more damage where you'd have to take weeks/months off, and you can always treat it as a deload. You won't lose much if any strength or muscle from not lifting for a couple of weeks.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    @canadianlbs even if you have to miss a couple of weeks of lifting til you're right again. It's better than causing more damage where you'd have to take weeks/months off, and you can always treat it as a deload. You won't lose much if any strength or muscle from not lifting for a couple of weeks.

*points* Yep this. I concur.