Keto questions

Options

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I had an increase in acne before it improved. I'm not sure of the cause, but my theory is its part of the "clean out" process. I'm much older than you (will be 48 in three days) so experiences can be different. It's probably not hormone related there for you shouldn't experience emotional issues like you would around your monthly cycle (although I don't know where you are in your cycle, to be sure of this).
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I will notice skin oil more when I am losing more. Some additional breakouts

I asked my Dr and he said when you run on fat, your body does not care if it is dietary or body fat

It s still burning low grade fuel.

I am positive it is not hormone cycle related in my case!

• monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ok good to know. Usually when I drink a lot of water and cut out processed carbs my skin clears up so that's what I was thinking. My cycle actually seems late...I don't record the dates so not sure exactly but I was expecting it a week or so ago. Kinda think the acne could have to do with that as well, I often get more right before it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It took a few weeks before my skin cleared up. I noticed after a month. I still get the occasional zit though.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Karlotta was that because of the number of calories in the Splenda syrup? Not sure what else would have made you gain.

Anyone get bad moods and/or depression after switching to a keto regimen? I was reading that people with pre-existing depression issues have a hard time with such low carb intake. But I assume after adapting, the body will quite like the MCTs and good fats I'll be constantly giving it - I anticipate both a positive affect from those healthy brain food fats but also the cravings and irritability from ditching the carbs. I've had a long-term struggle with depression so I was a little concerned when I read that.

I am with you on the mental health effects. I got insomnia and got really cranky. It took about two months on keto to start these symptoms. I quit the keto WOE for almost 5 months.

This time around I am going low carb but not so crazy low carb. Hope this works.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    -Do I need to continue mass consumption of electrolytes (e.g. chicken broth, powerade zero etc.) the entire time I'm planning to consume a keto diet or only when I'm converting to keto at the beginning (first few days, first 8 weeks, etc...)?
    DittoDan wrote: »
    #2 All the time. There is a "goldilocks" amount of electrolytes. For Magnesium, enough to keep your legs from cramping (charlie horse) but not so much that you get diarrhea. Usually this is 400mg day Mag Citrate (other types have different amounts and absorption rates)
    Salt and potassium: enough to not feel dizzy, weak. But not so much that you retain water or get dehydrated.

I'm going to have to disagree with DittoDan. Well, we hold different opinions on this, at least. I don't think supplementing electrolytes is likely to be harmful, but I also don't think it's likely to be necessary after adaptation. Once you're past the point of massive water-weight losses, you're not going to be losing tons of electrolytes each day. Your body is also remarkably adept at balancing the amount you're losing to the amount you're taking in, under normal conditions. The initial adaptation period is a bit too much all at once for your body to cope.

After the first month, you can probably safely taper the supplements down until you're off them. Gradually bringing them down will make this effortless and your body will adapt to the reduced amount. As long as you don't have any negatives (like increased cramping), you shouldn't need to supplement. This even goes for salt. I love salt, so I add a lot. But, I know people who never add any.

Actually, the author of the Principia Ketogenica (the definitive collection of research on low-carb and ketogenic diets and someone who eats basically zero carbs) has this to say about salt and electrolyte consumption.
    Written much about this, and I've spent an entire year avoiding every salt molecule possible and then a year adding salt to everything.

Nothing happened.

Result: Salt to taste.

Maybe there's long term effects that my N=1 won't expose, in the long run I don't think salt is a major factor in anything compared to everything else we deal with.

TL:DR - probably not worth avoiding, but also not worth supplementing unless electrolyte stuff is [bleep]ed. Don't need it, maybe doesn't hurt. Only one thing for sure - makes culinary life better.
    Link to reddit post.

Sure, that's one person's experience (although I know a lot of other people with the same experience), but it's pretty strong evidence that supplementation isn't strictly needed.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you have any medical issues (I just had a thyroidectomy) ask for a check of potassium and magnesium added to every blood draw. I'm thankful my doctor will always oblige. I've been under several times and am currently on RX for each - and I get it checked regularly.

Once I am feeling good, my levels have in the past and I hope in the future, my levels will be good without additional meds. But low potassium and low magnesium can really make you feel like you've been run over by a truck!

I do eat a lot of greens and squash and nuts, and I do Epsom salt baths but I'm STILL low which tells me I really do need those supplements, esp when my body is healing or stressed.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Your body is also remarkably adept at balancing the amount you're losing to the amount you're taking in, under normal conditions. The initial adaptation period is a bit too much all at once for your body to cope.

After the first month, you can probably safely taper the supplements down until you're off them. Gradually bringing them down will make this effortless and your body will adapt to the reduced amount. As long as you don't have any negatives (like increased cramping), you shouldn't need to supplement. This even goes for salt. I love salt, so I add a lot. But, I know people who never add any.

I'll just add that you can't generalize this one unless you understand the mechanisms involved, and I think it's safe to say that most people don't (and that includes me).

Goat is right that the body adapts in some ways. But even after the adaptation period, you can still have issues with sodium, and here's why:

Sodium loss is mostly a function of ketones in the urine.

Ketones in the urine will fluctuate widely. Those who fast (like DittoDan), and those who exercise a bunch (like I did), will generate MEGA ketones, dump a lot in the urine, lose a bunch of sodium, and feel like crap.

The bit about feeling like crap is pretty interesting. AFAICT, it's not really about sodium, but about the resulting low blood volume (which doesn't necessarily mean low blood PRESSURE due to compensation mechanisms).
  • monikker
    Options
    How much protein is too much? Too much can affect glucose?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my protein down in the 70-100 gram range to stay in ketosis since some does get converted to glucose. 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats works OK for me.
  • QuallyLeShay
    QuallyLeShay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    OK I know it's been a long day for me but where did they get the "perfect humans" to eat?

This!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    -Do I need to continue mass consumption of electrolytes (e.g. chicken broth, powerade zero etc.) the entire time I'm planning to consume a keto diet or only when I'm converting to keto at the beginning (first few days, first 8 weeks, etc...)?
    #2 All the time. There is a "goldilocks" amount of electrolytes. For Magnesium, enough to keep your legs from cramping (charlie horse) but not so much that you get diarrhea. Usually this is 400mg day Mag Citrate (other types have different amounts and absorption rates)
    Salt and potassium: enough to not feel dizzy, weak. But not so much that you retain water or get dehydrated.

I'm going to have to disagree with DittoDan. Well, we hold different opinions on this, at least. I don't think supplementing electrolytes is likely to be harmful, but I also don't think it's likely to be necessary after adaptation. Once you're past the point of massive water-weight losses, you're not going to be losing tons of electrolytes each day. Your body is also remarkably adept at balancing the amount you're losing to the amount you're taking in, under normal conditions. The initial adaptation period is a bit too much all at once for your body to cope.

Actually, the author of the Principia Ketogenica (the definitive collection of research on low-carb and ketogenic diets and someone who eats basically zero carbs) has this to say about salt and electrolyte consumption.
    Written much about this, and I've spent an entire year avoiding every salt molecule possible and then a year adding salt to everything.

Nothing happened.

Result: Salt to taste.

Maybe there's long term effects that my N=1 won't expose, in the long run I don't think salt is a major factor in anything compared to everything else we deal with.

TL:DR - probably not worth avoiding, but also not worth supplementing unless electrolyte stuff is [bleep]ed. Don't need it, maybe doesn't hurt. Only one thing for sure - makes culinary life better.
    Link to reddit post.

Sure, that's one person's experience (although I know a lot of other people with the same experience), but it's pretty strong evidence that supplementation isn't strictly needed.

Ok, no big deal. I should of wrote that after adaptation, a lesser amount of electrolytes is needed, BUT, more that a person on a SAD diet. Like WAB said, ketone production governs it. And I experientially noticed that if I stop salting my food, I will get dizzy, light headed, seeing stars and lethargic. Pre-keto, I had high blood pressure and my doc told me to lay off the salt, and I did. I NEVER got dizzy, light headed, etc. at that time, so something has changed now that I'm on the Keto diet.

So, again, it's "Goldilocks". Not too much, not to little, let your body speak to you, adjust accordingly.
    Disclaimer:

Void where prohibited. No representation or warranty, express or implied, with respect to the completeness, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, or utility of these materials or any information or opinion contained herein. Actual mileage may vary. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. No purchase necessary. Not recommended for children under 12. Read at your own risk. Ask your doctor or pharmacist. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Discontinue use of this product if any of the following occurs: itching, aching, vertigo, dizziness, ringing in your ears, vomiting, giddiness, aural or visual hallucinations, tingling in extremities, loss of balance or coordination, slurred speech, temporary blindness, drowsiness, insomnia, profuse sweating, shivering, or heart palpitations. This supersedes all previous disclaimers.

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable. However, no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information is implied. No liability is accepted for errors, omissions or inadequacies in the information contained herein or for interpretations thereof. The reader assumes sole responsibility for the selection of these materials to achieve its intended results. The opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice. Repeat as necessary. Do not look directly into light. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 14 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Your body is also remarkably adept at balancing the amount you're losing to the amount you're taking in, under normal conditions. The initial adaptation period is a bit too much all at once for your body to cope.

I'll just add that you can't generalize this one unless you understand the mechanisms involved, and I think it's safe to say that most people don't (and that includes me).

Goat is right that the body adapts in some ways. But even after the adaptation period, you can still have issues with sodium, and here's why:

Sodium loss is mostly a function of ketones in the urine.

Ketones in the urine will fluctuate widely. Those who fast (like DittoDan), and those who exercise a bunch (like I did), will generate MEGA ketones, dump a lot in the urine, lose a bunch of sodium, and feel like crap.

The bit about feeling like crap is pretty interesting. AFAICT, it's not really about sodium, but about the resulting low blood volume (which doesn't necessarily mean low blood PRESSURE due to compensation mechanisms).

That's interesting, maybe that's what's happening to me? I don't know the mechanics, but that it happens to me. What your saying sounds plausible. I think the next time that happens to me, I'll check my blood pressure. I have a portable meter. I'll let you know what happens...

Thank you...

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 14 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
  • wabmester
    Options
    I'll check my blood pressure.

Blood pressure is another fascinating topic. :)

The body maintains very tight control over sodium concentration in the blood.

That means that when sodium levels are low, we dump water to increase sodium concentration in the blood, and that lowers blood VOLUME.

The body also tries to maintain blood PRESSURE even when VOLUME drops, and it does that by constricting blood vessels.

It sort of works, but we end up with a compromised system. With the lower blood volume, there's not as much leeway to adapt to changing requirements, like when you suddenly stand up or when you exercise. And we feel lightheaded or fatigued.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    Now, now, I did say most people could probably taper off the supplements without concern. I also suggested that if they're experiencing negatives, they shouldn't continue to taper them off. I think most people don't need them. Maybe people doing extreme amounts of exercise, pushing for high ketone levels, or who have some other condition that increases their needs will need to continue perpetually.

We may have to agree to disagree about the requirements for it. Everyone should do what makes them feel best.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I'll check my blood pressure.

Blood pressure is another fascinating topic. :)

The body maintains very tight control over sodium concentration in the blood.

That means that when sodium levels are low, we dump water to increase sodium concentration in the blood, and that lowers blood VOLUME.

The body also tries to maintain blood PRESSURE even when VOLUME drops, and it does that by constricting blood vessels.

It sort of works, but we end up with a compromised system. With the lower blood volume, there's not as much leeway to adapt to changing requirements, like when you suddenly stand up or when you exercise. And we feel lightheaded or fatigued.

Blood pressure is an interesting topic I need to learn more about. I can't get my balance correct, I have naturally low blood pressure and oddly when I'm stressed it drops even lower, which is opposite of most people's response. When I stand up even when not doing keto the room goes black for a second then comes back. So when I'm keto it drops even lower and when I stand up it takes longer to regain normal. I'm a salt fiend all my life I have been, I crave it and will eat it plain at times. I'd love to understand that more.
  • wabmester
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Goat, the problem with waiting until you experience symptoms is that the body goes through some extreme measures before you get to that point.

For example, if blood volume is too low to maintain sodium concentration, that's when we start dumping potassium, and that can get you into real trouble because the potassium comes from cells, not blood. So eventually you end up deficient in multiple electrolytes and minerals if you ignore the simple advice to add salt.
  • monikker
    Options
    Ok I get the feeling low and being ravenous at night, adding to this are some intense carb fantasies. I go the whole day being cool without carbs, I might feel slightly weird from time to time and get pretty hungry out of nowhere before I eat my lunch...but overall it's ok until night. A couple nights ago I was super hyper at 1 am and then totally crashed, like didn't want to get off the couch to make my avocado drained. Then I just wanted honey nut Cheerios really badly and pouted about it for awhile. Last night I couldn't stop imagining eating Shipley's glazed donuts until I was full, or a Tiff's treats sandwich with snicker doodles smothered in ice cream...it's bad enough that if any of that stuff was around it'd be pretty hard to resist. So I eat my fatty foods and meats but am still hungry, quite possibly go over ideal protein amount but I don't care because I'm just trying not to think about donuts. But I wake up fine, not really hungry, can even go 2-4 hrs without eating, not really craving carbs. It's kinda weird. I was gonna ask before if it's normal to just suddenly get hungry (I'm on Day 6 eating 20 g net carbs). But it's definitely been weird the last few nights.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    The vast majority of people should have no issues at all, though. So, I err on the side of simplicity and ease. I will never promote "just in case" supplementation. I believe most people make this way of eating seem way more complicated and hazardous than it actually is or needs to be. People have eaten like this long before we had all these things to keep track of.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ok I get the feeling low and being ravenous at night, adding to this are some intense carb fantasies. I go the whole day being cool without carbs, I might feel slightly weird from time to time and get pretty hungry out of nowhere before I eat my lunch...but overall it's ok until night. A couple nights ago I was super hyper at 1 am and then totally crashed, like didn't want to get off the couch to make my avocado drained. Then I just wanted honey nut Cheerios really badly and pouted about it for awhile. Last night I couldn't stop imagining eating Shipley's glazed donuts until I was full, or a Tiff's treats sandwich with snicker doodles smothered in ice cream...it's bad enough that if any of that stuff was around it'd be pretty hard to resist. So I eat my fatty foods and meats but am still hungry, quite possibly go over ideal protein amount but I don't care because I'm just trying not to think about donuts. But I wake up fine, not really hungry, can even go 2-4 hrs without eating, not really craving carbs. It's kinda weird. I was gonna ask before if it's normal to just suddenly get hungry (I'm on Day 6 eating 20 g net carbs). But it's definitely been weird the last few nights.

Sometimes I have days that I'm just hungry all day. Not very often, but I did just have one yesterday. So I ate. I figured there's a reason my body wants me to eat today. I stayed on plan though. My protein was higher than normal, but not a problem. Some days it's higher, some days it's lower. I didn't eat so much that I didn't have a deficit, but if I felt that I needed more, I probably would've went with it. My appetite is usually very much under control and I have no issues eating at a decent deficit. So if I'm more hungry sometimes, I allow it.
    I felt like I was starving yesterday afternoon even though a had already eaten so I fried some nugget sized, chicken in bacon grease, topped it with Monterey cheese and half a piece of bacon. They were the best "chicken nuggets" EVER! :)