Keto questions

Options

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @monikker, I'm not sure of the science behind it. But what I understand is that for me (with fibromyalgia too) the sucralose creates a state of inflammation, making the body retain water for protective measures. It's crazy how certain things can affect some people without them even realizing what's causing it. I'm glad I got the chance to figure it out at least. Otherwise I would still be clueless and bloated.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Karlotta was that because of the number of calories in the Splenda syrup? Not sure what else would have made you gain.

Anyone get bad moods and/or depression after switching to a keto regimen? I was reading that people with pre-existing depression issues have a hard time with such low carb intake. But I assume after adapting, the body will quite like the MCTs and good fats I'll be constantly giving it - I anticipate both a positive affect from those healthy brain food fats but also the cravings and irritability from ditching the carbs. I've had a long-term struggle with depression so I was a little concerned when I read that.

I think you need to compare between your mood while you're keto adapting and how things are when that has happened. Because things change in your entire body: your metabolism changes, the nature of your gut bacteria, enzyme usage, everything. Fat is a mood enhancer. But make sure you mind your electrolytes.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @monikker, I'm not sure of the science behind it. But what I understand is that for me (with fibromyalgia too) the sucralose creates a state of inflammation, making the body retain water for protective measures. It's crazy how certain things can affect some people without them even realizing what's causing it. I'm glad I got the chance to figure it out at least. Otherwise I would still be clueless and bloated.

Sucralose is tied to inflammation and water retention

Interesting

I need to check that out

I may switch to occasional Stevia use.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I did read this on a website, Gainsville Fibromyalgia treatment posts recommendations for fibromyalgia patients. This was in a list of foods to avoid which include all of the foods I have been able to eliminate. The author insists these recommendations will help the fibromyalgia sufferer. I'm proving it for myself, by accident, but at least I'm getting it!
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well, good news I suppose since I'm not planning to consume much sucralose.

Just wanted to say that today was Day 1 of my keto experience - Bulletproof coffee & lots of water in the morning, a mostly ground beef chili for lunch, tuna salad with greens for dinner, cream cheese & egg "pancakes" w/a few strawberries & half a Powerade Zero (crap I guess I did get some sucralose) for snacks. Finishing the day with water and chicken broth. I don't have much weight to lose but I feel really good as far as my mood and brain things are going. Thanks everyone.
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sucralose is made from chlorinated sugar, which IMO sounds nasty. It gives me migraines, so apparently my body agrees. However, it appears to be the new "it" sweetener - so many of the foods that used to eat have switched to sucralose. Some have sugar and sucralose (what's the point in that?)! I have to read all the labels now, and have abandoned many of my old favorites.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Karlotta was that because of the number of calories in the Splenda syrup? Not sure what else would have made you gain.

Anyone get bad moods and/or depression after switching to a keto regimen? I was reading that people with pre-existing depression issues have a hard time with such low carb intake. But I assume after adapting, the body will quite like the MCTs and good fats I'll be constantly giving it - I anticipate both a positive affect from those healthy brain food fats but also the cravings and irritability from ditching the carbs. I've had a long-term struggle with depression so I was a little concerned when I read that.

I was moody and tired for about a week or so. Once I figured out that I needed more sodium, things improved hugely.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1) Net carbs or full carb count needs to be under 25? I find this one boggling, like how do you know that you're not throwing yourself out of keto if you count net carbs.
    I think most functions of our body are not an on/off switch, but rather a dimmer! From my understanding keto starts at >100g (net) carbs. The lower you go the more drastic it is. Personally I see no reason (or ability) to go much beyond the 50-100g zone.
    2) Fiber? I assume by counting net carbs you will get enough fiber, but if not counting net carbs I'm wondering if that would cause any issue. I'm not worried about not being able to poop (coffee makes me do that), just overall being healthy. I wonder if we have evolved to need fiber...?
    I'd be interested to see fiber intake from evolutionary point of view, since previous Homo- species used to eat nothing but vegetation. That was back when we were hairy though.
    3) Avoiding plant-based foods apart from sugary fruits seems counter-intuitive to me.
    Ditto! I eat a lot of vegetables by packing them into smoothies. Considering I also lift heavy 3x/week, I think it works in terms of added carbs. Not that I'd have anything against carbs sourced from good vegetables anyway. I can't imagine eating too much over 100g net carbs a day with just vegetables, but that's me.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    asyroyez wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see fiber intake from evolutionary point of view, since previous Homo- species used to eat nothing but vegetation. That was back when we were hairy though.

Another line of evidence for the diet of H. habilis comes from some of the earliest cut- and percussion-marked bones, found back to 2.6 million years ago. Scientists usually associate these traces of butchery of large animals, direct evidence of meat and marrow eating, with the earliest appearance of the genus Homo, including H. habilis.

Homo erectus (which goes back almost 1 to 2 million years into our past) was well known for cracking open bones and eating out the marrow and scavenging animal foods. Stone tools also suggest that they used stones to cut meat.

Homo neanderthalensis (130k to 350k years into our past) are well recognized for their hunting and the amount of evidence left of their meat consumption.

Homo sapiens (190k years to present) are also well known for being hunter gatherers.

There's no evidence that the genus Homo ever ate "nothing but vegetation." Even if we go back further to Australopithecus africanus (which is 1.2 to 4 million years back), we find that there is evidence that they were opportunistic hunters and animal protein made up a small but recognized part of their diet.

In short, we've never been natural vegetarians/vegans. It's a commonly held belief that is pushed by the vegetarian side. If you want more information, I recommend the movie "The Perfect Human Diet" which can be streamed for free online. I'm not saying that everyone needs to go full carnivore, but there's a place for meat in a healthy human diet.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    OK I know it's been a long day for me but where did they get the "perfect humans" to eat?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    OK I know it's been a long day for me but where did they get the "perfect humans" to eat?

Same place they always find perfect humans, they start by looking at me and they compared others until they found a match. :wink:

Edit: And no one get any crazy ideas, I'm not healthy. I'm totally high in cholesterol. Wait, darn, that won't work with this group. Stay back, I have a sharp steak knife!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »

Thanks for the giggle!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL :D
  • monikker
    Options
    I think even when we ate vegetation that we probably at least ate bugs or something moving with protein.

New question: Quest bars. I'm craving something sweet. Should I risk all the sugar alcohols and questionable fiber source to have something sweet if I've gotta have something?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think even when we ate vegetation that we probably at least ate bugs or something moving with protein.

New question: Quest bars. I'm craving something sweet. Should I risk all the sugar alcohols and questionable fiber source to have something sweet if I've gotta have something?

I found quest bars made me have more sweet cravings. I seemed to be able to handle half or a third of one... I would've liked more but I could resist.
    I get my "sweet tooth" satisfied with carb master yogurt and some 86% dark chocolate shaved onto it or just coffee with cream and sugar free syrup. Though, I can't overdo that sweetener either... Just the taste of sweetness turns my cravings on.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options

YMMV. Try them, definitely. Check your blood sugar after if you have the tools to do so. Many keto'ers loooooove Quest bars. They do taste good. But my blood sugar spokes on them more than on foods I make myself. So I just stay away. It shouldn't hurt to try.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Just have really dark chocolate eg 85-90%. I used not to eat these as too dark in my carb eating days, but after months of low carb, I now find them really sweet. So I would eat that as having some health benefits, great taste, and not much that's bad in them.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

I've been known to eat 2 or 3 at a time, so now I tend to avoid them. :blush: Artificial sweeteners are a definite trigger food for me, but for some people they're a good way to get some extra protein in their diet.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Ok

This is a wee bit off topic

What about dextrose?

I get lots of that in electrolyte packs.

I found quest bars made me have more sweet cravings. I seemed to be able to handle half or a third of one... I would've liked more but I could resist.
    I get my "sweet tooth" satisfied with carb master yogurt and some 86% dark chocolate shaved onto it or just coffee with cream and sugar free syrup. Though, I can't overdo that sweetener either... Just the taste of sweetness turns my cravings on.

That is my experience with them. I eat them right before exercise, or perish the though... An actual Snickers bar 250 calorie size. Seems that burning it up within half an hour of eating it does not cause me any issues

For lunch having a Quest? Just makes me hungry!
  • monikker
    Options
    Avoiding dextrose because that is the fastest carb to reach your bloodstream or something like that (it's the sugar recommended for weight lifting and first thing in the morning if you're weight lifting etc) and I'm trying to get into keto. I did see it in electrolyte stuff as well - I was able to find alternatives that didn't include it. Same thing with maltodextrin, from what I understand that's just undercover sugar...?

Ohh yeah I remember reading about quest bars actually raising blood sugar for diabetics and it possibly being related to the shady fiber source...or something...maybe I will just stay away. Tbh I have no desire to check my blood sugar unless that will help me know if I'm in ketosis. But I've never had an official blood sugar issue. If a food raises blood glucose for a significant amount of people then I'd rather just stay away from it if I risk going out of ketosis because of it. Quest bars have like 20 g carbs but it's like 3 g net carbs supposedly.