WLS Rant Thread

Options
124»

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Company potluck today... Gotta stay focused. Some of these women are fantastic chefs.
  • velbing
    velbing Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dear altered tummy: is it really necessary for me to try each bite as if it were an entirely new food that probably wont agree with you, resulting in the oh so desirable foamies; especially when you said yesterday that the same food was acceptable.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Three weeks post-op. Still on soft foods. Did a lot of car travel this weekend, but no real diet changes for weeks. Yesterday, was up a pound. Today, up another. I'm pissed.
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    velbing wrote: »
    Dear altered tummy: is it really necessary for me to try each bite as if it were an entirely new food that probably wont agree with you, resulting in the oh so desirable foamies; especially when you said yesterday that the same food was acceptable.

haha @ the "oh so desirable foamies". love it. Not your pain, just the description. Basically this is how I am with any pork product. One day I am fine, the next time, for example last night, I am not, and became very ill. Thankfully pork is the only thing, and I have decided after last night, no more pork. not worth the oh so desirable foamies.

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    callikia wrote: »
    Three weeks post-op. Still on soft foods. Did a lot of car travel this weekend, but no real diet changes for weeks. Yesterday, was up a pound. Today, up another. I'm pissed.

There is a very common stall that happens at around 3-4 weeks post-op. Its your body going "OMG, what have you done to me" and trying desperately to hold on to all the water, fat, etc that it can. Give it a week and it will start to drop off again. I had this, it freaked me out too, and it resolved itself and I've gone on to lose most of my weight (still working on it). Still very frustrating and scary though.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    garber6th wrote: »
    My rant - I have lost over 200 lbs but I still feel self conscious because I have SO much loose skin, and it's frustrating. I work out and watch what I eat, but the only thing that will fix this is surgery. That is really my only frustration, and honestly, I feel like it's silly to complain about it, because just about everything else is my life has improved as a result of the surgery.

And this is me, but with a 160+ weight loss! The frustrating part for me is that, per the doctor, if we were to remove all the loose skin, I would be at goal. So what does that mean? That I'm now in maintenance whether I want to be or not because as far as my body is concerned, it's at goal, so it's done. But my scale still reads 230 and my clothes are a size 18 or XL and this is not where I want to be! And that is my rant!

PS - For those of you who have less to lose and are younger, please know that the loose skin issue may not be yours. garbeth lost over 200 pounds. I had 220 to lose between where I started and goal and I'm 59, so my skin has no elasticity to bounce back. This does not happen to everyone.

Thanks for clarifying Pat! The loose skin issue widely varies among WLS patients, and so many things do factor in such as amount of weight lost, age, etc. I know people who had surgery who don't have serious issues with this at all, and the possibility of it shouldn't be a deterrent!

Ladies can I give you an AMEN! I have lost over 215 and am approaching 46...I keep being told if I build my muscle mass the skin will bounce :( the 6 inches of skin hanging from my arms tells a very different tale - will it bounce some...IDK, maybe I am trying to work it but when I measure it's not going anywhere. I can tell you I got some guns under the batwings ;) So rant is wls surgery does not equal being able to wear cute holiday dresses! Still need 3/4 sleeves! For now anyway...
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Rant
    Having no food aversions. I can drink carbonation (slowly, i just burp more), I tolerate bread and sugar without dumping. While the surgery has lowered my capacity for large quantities of food I still have to rely on willpower to make good/nutritious food choices. Somedays I would rather have dumping syndrome so it is easier to say no to stuff I shouldn't be eating.

Balancing macros. It feels like when I eat "clean" I am almost always way under the calories recommended by my nut (1500). It can be so hard to not give into the mindset of having calories to spend on something not nutritious. Especially with trying to get in more leafy green veggies it feels like I am eating a lot of food. The idea I might someday have to eat more then 12-1500 , and it being healthy is daunting.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Dear Acid Reflux,
    We were doing so well and you were going away. WHY are we back to newly post op levels again all of a sudden? 1 zantac this morning, 3 tums this afternoon, and I'm still miserable. We'd been at peace for 3 months. Why this sudden flare up???
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Murphyraven, I'm assuming you are pretty far post-op. 1500 sounds impossible to me, unless it was all beer/wine/junk.

And as for a rant. I am trying to love you, Running. I've always hated running anything more than sprints. I was athletic in my school years and distance running was always my biggest pain. We've worked hard on our relationship. I've pushed through and broken new ground with you. You've given me unexpected confidence and increased stamina, and some hella nice calves. But why, Running, why do you want to shed my nipples off? You make it so painful to love you sometimes.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Anbrdr - I am just over 10 months out. My nut has wanted me to eat between 1200 at the lowest, to 1500 since about 9 months out. I find it challenging some days to eat that amount without adding junk. My weight loss has also slowed down to a crawl. I have been experimenting with eating lower calories 1100-1300 and it seems like it might be picking back up slightly.
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am currently able to maintain 1900 calories a day. It gets easier over time. I literally eat 7 meals a day.