Daily Keto...

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I want to have the willpower I need to stay on track and stick to my exercise but the truth is, I need external accountability on a daily basis to help me stay on track.

I don't expect it to be that way forever but, until I get it together and get my own momentum going, I am asking those of you willing, to check in here daily to share your successes and failures and hopefully get to know each other in a more personal way. I'm hoping that knowing someone could call me out and ask what and how I'm doing will help keep me accountable.

Christie.

Replies

• ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Christie - Today is my first day back on the LCHF program ala The Diet Doctor. I am trying to figure out percentages and grams and all that good stuff. I finally settled on ~1450 cals/day with 80/15/5. Also, I try to eat only between 1p and 8p. I love the way I feel when I eat this way. I'm back on and determined.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Christie,
    I have been eating a ketogenic diet since February 2014. I have lost 83 pounds and am currently maintaining my loss eating 1900 calories a day. I am 5 ft 2 inches tall and weigh 117 pounds. I am 39 years old, have pcos, am a very insulin resistant type 2 diabetic, and am in perimenopause. I will never stop eating a ketogenic diet. I have never felt better or had more energy. When I first started I was on insulin and had elevated liver enzymes. I am currently on zero medications prescribed by a dr. I do take a Magnesium supplement but that's it. Within one month of eating keto, my liver enzymes returned to normal. I really cant describe how great I feel to people. I wish you the best of luck and will try to keep up with your progress. im mostly a lurker. i enjoy reading but don't do much posting. Maybe Ill try to start posting more. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Monday, I had a generous portion of my chicken tortilla soup, which just did not have enough fats for me while doing an intermittent fasting. Not even with an estimated 4 oz of cheese! I couldn't bring myself to try sour cream in it due to the large dose of lime juice. I didn't want to wreck my umami broth, either.

This lead to Tuesday, during my mid-day fast, getting hunger earlier than normal. By the time I got home at around 5:30 pm, I was ready to let my stomach each my body I was so hungry. So, based on hunger levels, I knew I was going to be over on cals, maybe on carbs, and gods only knew what else. But I also knew my body was talking to me for a reason.

So, I just made the choice to pretty much each as much as I wanted, and just to do the best I could to keep my carbs corralled. I did pretty good. I have to figure out something to pair with or supplement my morning shake so as to tide me over during the fast... Just a couple hundred calories and some fats.

Because that hour four or so of the fast is just ... awesome and inspiring.

All that being said, I still ate more than I would have preferred, but I don't know what all my body is doing right now, so I've just gotta roll with it.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Chicken tortilla soup sounds great! What's in it?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You chop (I nearly puree) onions, garlic, and jalapenos. Cook out liquid. (I think the original recipe had you saute the veggies in oils, but it didn't add anything to the flavor, since I nearly pureed them, cooking out the liquid only works.) Add in fire roasted tomatoes and black beans (could modify these or cut - I'd cut the beans but my guy loves them), cook down. Add broth/stock. Bring to low simmer. Add raw chicken (recipe calls for breasts, but you could use any). Return to simmer and lower heat. Cook around 30 minutes, until chicken is done. Remove and and shred chicken, return to pot. Add cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh lime juice and garnish with cheese. My non-low carb guy loves tortilla strips with it.

It comes out around 14 net carbs, but black bean carbs are slow carbs. The tomato carbs don't hit me much, but I think I had more beans than I wanted Monday.

I've been trying to figure out how to create this broth flavor without the food in it. I'm thinking I could modify the tomato portion, drop the beans, chicken optional, and I'd be in bliss. The umami perfect pitch flavor hit of this broth is addictive as hell...just saying.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I'm trying to get my head in the game... I mean, I totally get the LCHF concept. It's the exact macros, CICO and net carbs that I just can't seem to get together.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The thing is, those macros vary from person to person, from day to day.

I just upped my carb level from 20 grams to 40 grams to allow for the Kombucha I've added for gut and overall health. I've maintain my ketosis. The strict level to start is to allow you to find your personal "sweet spot."

When I first started, I did not worry about Net Carbs at all, but I discovered at a big ol' plate of broccoli didn't seem to affect my ketosis, so I didn't worry if a veggie like this sent me over a little bit.

Aside from that, carbs should be a limit, protein should be a range (minimum for maintaining muscles, etc.), and fats should fill in the gaps... If you have to, restrict those carbs down as low as possible to focus on the rest...

If I may ask, is it a certain time of day that throws you off? Desire for a certain food? Quantities? If you can specify, I can suggest "survival" and "coping" techniques to get you through...
  • 4031isaiah
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Again... I totally get the concept of Keto ie. mostly fat, some protein and as few carbs as possible. Where I stumble, is in my inability to get to the point where I measure, weigh and track every gram of food I eat. The science of it all throws me off... I really want to get to where I can trust my hunger and fullness but I feel like if I don't get a hold of the science-y stuff, I'll never get to where It becomes a lifestyle and way of eating I can trust...

It's tricky, because it's how I genuinely feel but I've been hesitant to put it out there for fear of being attacked by those with the "just do it" mentality. I do have that mentality in every other area of my life but for whatever reason, when it comes to food, it's like I have some sort of mental block.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Oh, and I've been looking for kombucha but can't seem to find it. My digestive issues are another obstacle in themselves...
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Again... I totally get the concept of Keto ie. mostly fat, some protein and as few carbs as possible. Where I stumble, is in my inability to get to the point where I measure, weigh and track every gram of food I eat. The science of it all throws me off... I really want to get to where I can trust my hunger and fullness but I feel like if I don't get a hold of the science-y stuff, I'll never get to where It becomes a lifestyle and way of eating I can trust...

It's tricky, because it's how I genuinely feel but I've been hesitant to put it out there for fear of being attacked by those with the "just do it" mentality. I do have that mentality in every other area of my life but for whatever reason, when it comes to food, it's like I have some sort of mental block.

I don't know about "sciency stuff".

Just record everything.

Get a food scale (15 bucks online).

Much food we eat has a scanable bar code that MFP recognizes. The other is searchable.

Mfp then calculates your macros for you when you hit 'nutrition' in the app.

I am a firm believer in the fact we can't make intelligent decisions about our diet until we know what we're eating. Kind of like you can't make good financial decisions until you know what you're spending your money on.

Just record, and let mfp do the "sciency" stuff.

• 4031isaiah
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I bought some kombucha tea but am afraid to try it. I'm not sure I can get past the scoby... Ick.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I appreciate your input but recording and measuring are not really the issue. I have two scales and recorded faithfully for quite awhile. I ate within my goals and every day when I completed my food diary for the day, that little message from MFP would pop up and say things like "if you eat like this everyday, you will be 10lbs lighter in 5 weeks!" 5 weeks later, MFP was about 9.75lbs off on its prediction... there in lies my frustration. It's a real challenge to stay motivated to do something that is time consuming and does not produce the desired result.

The "sciency" stuff to which I am referring is understanding why my body isn't responding to what logic says should be working and figuring out which amounts of what and in what combinations will get me the results I'm looking for. As much as I wish it would, I'm pretty sure MFP can't do that for me.

I believe Keto can work for me and I could see myself making it a life long habit if I could just find my sweet spot. I've been "trying" for just over a month and I'm afraid my lack of progress is going to cause me to give up soon.

That's pretty much why I started this thread. I'm hoping to find others who are experiencing or have experienced similar frustrations who can help pull me back from the ledge and keep me from throwing in the towel too soon.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have never paid attention to mfp's weight predictions - I ignore them.

I record my food so that I'm sure I'm keeping my carbs low, and so that if I stall I have objective information to make decisions on.

I apologize - it's not clear to me what you are struggling with, thus my not very helpful advice.

If eating low carb helps you feel better, drop weight, and be otherwise more healthy then it is worth whatever hassles are presenting themselves.

If it is too complex, simplify. No sugar. No potatoes, pasta, bread. Limit fruit. Eat healthy fats to satiety. Don't overly worry about calories within that context. Don't let the scale bully you. Continue to learn.

Good luck on the journey.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Key for me was to find stuff that fit the bill, even if it was convenience stuff, and not the best for me. Transition foods. For a long while, I pretty much lived on pepperoni. Now it is a rare treat.

Sometimes I weigh and measure, sometimes I don't. For the most part, if you weigh and measure when it comes to carbs, personally, I usually say calories are such a flawed thing anyway, so screw the rest... i know it is not the best attitude, but if you're having problems somewhere, you need to find a work around.

And here, in this group, and the LCD group, you will have some folks who say suck up and do it. Personally, I think that's total BS. For whatever reason, some of us are just not WIRED that way. I know I'm not. Clearly outline your stumbles, and we'll all brainstorm together. If you think none of us have ever struggled, had to find alternatives, or just worked to "get" something, think again. If we ever got fat in the first place, we had to fight to get healthy, too...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I bought some kombucha tea but am afraid to try it. I'm not sure I can get past the scoby... Ick.

You can actually strain the scoby out, as well as the filaments of yeast, and it won't hurt anything. Start slowly. No more than 2 oz a day... And you might have to hold your breath the first several times so your nose won't "taste" it... If there is an actual SCOBY in there, keep it with a little of the booch in a glass or something, because that thing is worth it's weight in GOLD...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I appreciate your input but recording and measuring are not really the issue. I have two scales and recorded faithfully for quite awhile. I ate within my goals and every day when I completed my food diary for the day, that little message from MFP would pop up and say things like "if you eat like this everyday, you will be 10lbs lighter in 5 weeks!" 5 weeks later, MFP was about 9.75lbs off on its prediction... there in lies my frustration. It's a real challenge to stay motivated to do something that is time consuming and does not produce the desired result.

The "sciency" stuff to which I am referring is understanding why my body isn't responding to what logic says should be working and figuring out which amounts of what and in what combinations will get me the results I'm looking for. As much as I wish it would, I'm pretty sure MFP can't do that for me.

I believe Keto can work for me and I could see myself making it a life long habit if I could just find my sweet spot. I've been "trying" for just over a month and I'm afraid my lack of progress is going to cause me to give up soon.

That's pretty much why I started this thread. I'm hoping to find others who are experiencing or have experienced similar frustrations who can help pull me back from the ledge and keep me from throwing in the towel too soon.

Okay, I laugh at that crap. It is supposed to be like a little cheerleader, "You did a good job, so yay!" or "You didn't to do great, let's work on that, yay!" LOL. It is HILARIOUS!!! I don't think I have ever met anyONE ever it was right on for... LOL

That being said, with Keto, the key is compliance, consistency, and patience. You have to comply consistently for a minimum of 4 weeks, preferred 12 weeks, before giving up or tweaking anything... Seriously, if you do not have the patience for this, I don't any dietary changes will ever work properly for you...

I have a quote I stole from someone and modified. "While we are doing basic arithmetic (calorie and carb counting, MFP, etc.), our bodies are doing chemistry, physics, and calculus, at the very least!"

In other words, we do what we can, and we have to have faith in the system for the rest - but NOTHING is instant. Flat out. So compliance, consistency, and patience.

I have not lost a pound that stay off since April. Period. But I have dropped a full pants size, and I have shrunk out of my undergarments. In addition to the pre-April progress. Do I still feel great? Yes. Obviously my body needed time to heal or maintain something... Faith in the process, my friend...
  • gsrader
    gsrader Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I have a quote I stole from someone and modified. "While we are doing basic arithmetic (calorie and carb counting, MFP, etc.), our bodies are doing chemistry, physics, and calculus, at the very least!"

Perfect!
  • 123_lac
    Options
    gsrader wrote: »

Perfect!

Love it and so true!!!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

Key for me was to find stuff that fit the bill, even if it was convenience stuff, and not the best for me. Transition foods. For a long while, I pretty much lived on pepperoni. Now it is a rare treat.

Sometimes I weigh and measure, sometimes I don't. For the most part, if you weigh and measure when it comes to carbs, personally, I usually say calories are such a flawed thing anyway, so screw the rest... i know it is not the best attitude, but if you're having problems somewhere, you need to find a work around.

And here, in this group, and the LCD group, you will have some folks who say suck up and do it. Personally, I think that's total BS. For whatever reason, some of us are just not WIRED that way. I know I'm not. Clearly outline your stumbles, and we'll all brainstorm together. If you think none of us have ever struggled, had to find alternatives, or just worked to "get" something, think again. If we ever got fat in the first place, we had to fight to get healthy, too...

Thanks! This is the best response I've seen on both this and the LCD group since I've been around.

Many people seem to think the tough love approach is helpful. When it's coming from someone that you have a close personal relationship with, that might be the case but when you're struggling and come to these message boards for support, being told to just do it or having rigid formulas thrown at you can often have the exact opposite affect and make you feel even more discouraged.

The truth is, if all it took was a formula and just doing it, trust me, it would be done :). To be honest, I'm sure there is a formula that will work for me, I just haven't found it yet.

I think I've been trying too hard to count grams and macros and I've spent a lot of money on ingredients for recipes that my tastebuds aren't ready for. When, what I probably should be doing instead is focusing on the foods I know I like and fit Keto and worry about the rest once I start seeing progress and become more comfortable with the process.
  • 123_lac
    Options
    I ate low carb before doing keto but was not in ketosis. I had to really lower carbs and up fats to get into ketosis. Also too much protein could have been an issue before. If I ate too much protein at one sitting, I would get a blood sugar spike. I try not to eat too much at a time.