Daily Keto...

Options

Replies

• ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    123_lac wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss is right on the money. She has given you excellent advice. I usually eat 4 ounces of meat at a meal or pick a fatty cut. I cook in real butter or bacon grease, and only heavy cream in my coffee. I snack on cream cheese cubes wrapped in bacon. I make cheese balls with pepperoni and eat it with a spoon.

This all sounds so yummy. I made my mfp diary public so y'all can check it out. I love the butter/coconut oil coffee in the morning. Besides keeping me full until my "window of eating time," that coconut oil seems to do something magical to my sluggish metabolism.

I'm so glad this board is active. I think this way of eating is really the wave of the future.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I bounced over to try to glance at your diary, and it looks like it is locked down, so give us an idea of what you like to eat? If in doubt, cook your meat in a fat of your choice, or top it with it. Make a sauce like alfredo or hollandaise and pour it over your meats. There are SO many options... What types of meat do you like best?

I know. I have friends on my list from other groups that don't necessarily understand or agree with the LCHF way of eating so to avoid it being an issue, it just seems easier to keep it private.

I haven't logged my food faithfully in about a week anyway.

I'm not really a big meat fan. I eat it more out of not knowing what else to eat than out of enjoyment. Dairy and legumes don't agree with my digestive system. This means no peanuts and I thought I could get away with butter but I have since learned that even butter wreaks havoc on my system.

For healthy fats, I rely on avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil and most recently coconut oil.

For meat, I've been eating bacon, chicken ground beef and salmon.

I also eat a lot of roasted veggies, salads with homemade dressing and fresh cut up veggies... All low carb veggies, of course.

A major obstacle that I have besides my digestive issues is the fact that I live with a very fit health conscious man who does not buy into the LCHF/Keto way of eating so family meals have been a challenge to say the least. His mentality is: if everyone just exercised more and ate less, the whole world would be thin... Ugh! If only...

Look up Vegetarian Keto on Reddit... Or Pescetarian, if it's more your speed. You definitely have to get creative, but it's out there. It is all about thinking outside the box... Trying things you didn't used to like, things you've never tried, etc., because your taste buds change as the sugar/junk/carb haze fades...

Have you tried nutritional yeast? I've been told that in small doses it tastes similar to the flavors of cheese. For lactose sensitive people, it can expand more food options. You can make homemade mayo - it is awesome.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Would your guy buy into the Paleo aspect? Whole30 aspect? Does he understand that hormone balance comes from having enough fats in your body? That your brain can't function properly without them?

As far as meals, I make a meat that is not too bad or good, bring him his plate, and doctor mine out of site. He has no idea what I put on mine differently that is on his. I just don't eat the carby side he does... He still calls it my "whacked out diet" but he's losing weight, feeling better, and even talks about it to those with compromised metabolisms. I don't know if he's realized it yet.

And friends can go snuff it. I know people don't understand, but I've gotten to the age where I'm doing this for me, and they can take their judgment and shove it. I can show them my labs, my pictures, and all that, and they still won't buy in, because it would restrict them from things they've convinced themselves are good for them, etc. The simple bit for me, "I don't care what others think." My guy complains regularly about how I eat/cook, and how it's affecting him, but he has started to see that he's sensitive to breads, and all kinds of things now...

But in doing this for me, no one else was going to convince me otherwise. I've found that greens - they don't like me as much. I'm far more satisfied leaving them out of most things, though sometimes they're good... just depends.

Look up recipes for sauces/faux breading and stuff like that you can add to your foods. And honestly, keep up a fatty hot beverage of choice. No one knows what is in that...

As I said, when I cook, I make a meat, a veggie, and then a carby side and bread for my guy. The veggie I doctor, the meat I add stuff to it, etc... And he has the same attitude as your guy. It's all willpower and determination, but it really isn't that simple. As he's seen my choices change, and my ability to say no to things I wouldn't have been able to refrain from before, or to eat a reasonable portion, and all that, he's realizing that it isn't that simple for everyone...he hasn't said it yet, but I can tell you that him seeing the change in my whole mindset in all these months is slowly changing his thinking on a lot of things!!!

But, I had to decide that this was right for me and commit to it before he could accept it...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you have sugar cravings and have struggled to lose weight, you have some form of metabolic dysfunction, even if it hasn't been diagnosed.

Huge signs of insulin resistance:
    Feel like a meal isn't done until something sweet is eaten to "finish it"
    Feel like a bottomless pit - you just ate and feel like you could eat an entire meal again!
    Tiredness (mental fog/cloudiness, too) after eating (feeling like Thanksgiving after most meals!)
    Feeling mostly full, having something sweet, then feeling starving shortly thereafter
    Feeling like you have zero willpower over trigger foods/never being able to eat just one (this is partly how foods are made, too, that make them addictive like this)
    High triglycerides
    Poor sleep
    and many others...

Sweetleaf brand Stevia is the only one I've found that has no dextrose or maltodextrin or anything, and it is the only one that doesn't trigger an insulin response from me! It has to be added super slowly in small amounts. If you get to much, it will taste like metallic coated chemicals. If you get that taste, you need to add more of whatever you were sweetening. I also notice it has less weird side effects of tasting when you add it to something creamy. So try a splash of cream or coconut milk, etc. next time you try it.

I'm personally not worried about losing weight. I'm worried about gaining health. Plus, I know that if I continue to gain health, the weight will follow when it's good and ready.

How you feel is a great marker. Track symptoms and side effects (and when they go away). Track energy levels. Take measurements. Take pictures even if you never want to look at them or share them. Sure, get on the scale. But honestly, I would rather lose sizes of clothing than pounds on the scale. For me, when one stalled the other moved and vice versa... Figure out what you can track to remind you of your progress.

One of the big ones for me - improved sleep. Add to that that I"m so not a morning person, but I work at 7 am, and being able to fully function early in the morning now is AMAZING...

So start tracking all the random, tiniest things!!! Trust me, you'll be happy you did.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your responses. It's really getting me to think about what I'm doing and why.

I mean, of course I want to be healthy and feel better but if I'm being completely honest, I've also been driven by my desire to not be the "fat wife" and I stress myself out "trying" for as long as I can stand it until I encounter an obstacle that I wasn't prepared for and then I crash and burn.

I'm here hoping to break the cycle.

I have had multiple do that for me, get me thinking to the point my whole life has changed in the last two years. I really can't explain it. I'm happy to "give back" I guess you could say...

I don't like being the fat SO either, no matter how much I'm lucky enough to have a man that loves and appreciate my curves... Forcing something doesn't help. You will eventually crash and burn. Period. Finding what fits YOU and works for YOU is where your focus needs to be.

You will break this cycle. I know you can. I always tell people, getting healthier is so much more of a mental thing than a physical one, and that's where we end up failing for so long. Because honestly, if I get my mind, my mindSET, and my motivation/determination all headed in the right place, simply put, the weight has no choice but to follow, eventually, no matter how slowly, etc.

I was finally able to make some progress when I accepted that my focus had to be on gaining health, not on losing weight. By making the positive side my focus, it just shifted my perspective and perception on so many things.

A major turning point for me was about this time last year. I wrote about the breakthrough here, if you're curious... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/motivation-versus-determination-699445

Others sharing their own struggles is always what helped me figure out my own crap! LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Ive had some setbacks during the last year and a half too. Don't let them get you down. I went to an amusement park, and it was so hot. I bought a frozen lemonade and drank it before looking at the carb content. It had 99 carbs. I also had breaded chicken tenders that day. I didn't lose anything for about 4 weeks after that. I had a surgery where they gave me lactated ringer IV fluid, which also knocked me out of ketosis too. Ive tried to eat too many "low carb" foods that have knocked me out too. I just get back on track and keep going. Its been a learning process.

Yeah, our world is a carb heavy, carb focused world. Congrats to you for bouncing back after a few whammies!!! It makes you that much stronger now!!! And truth! If we stop learning, we might as well give it all up!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    How are you doing ScaryCarrie?

Doing really well, thanks. 4 days since I started, in ketosis already,
    I bounced over to try to glance at your diary, and it looks like it is locked down, so give us an idea of what you like to eat? If in doubt, cook your meat in a fat of your choice, or top it with it. Make a sauce like alfredo or hollandaise and pour it over your meats. Thmooere are SO many options... What types of meat do you like best?

I know. I have friends on my list from other groups that don't necessarily understand or agree with the LCHF way of eating so to avoid it being an issue, it just seems easier to keep it private.

I haven't logged my food faithfully in about a week

Great to hear!! Just know that you need to focus on electrolytes, and make sure you get enough sodium and such, to avoid the misery called the carb flu - or minimize it! (5000 mg daily minimum is recommended during adaption.)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss is right on the money. She has given you excellent advice. I usually eat 4 ounces of meat at a meal or pick a fatty cut. I cook in real butter or bacon grease, and only heavy cream in my coffee. I snack on cream cheese cubes wrapped in bacon. I make cheese balls with pepperoni and eat it with a spoon.

This all sounds so yummy. I made my mfp diary public so y'all can check it out. I love the butter/coconut oil coffee in the morning. Besides keeping me full until my "window of eating time," that coconut oil seems to do something magical to my sluggish metabolism.

I'm so glad this board is active. I think this way of eating is really the wave of the future.

@ScaryCarrie444 This is another board a lot of us are on that covers all types of low carbing... There are a lot of ketoers there, too...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Coconut oil is amazing. I'm glad, too, that I made the switch to virgin, unrefined coconut oil, despite the fact I don't love the taste (I've always hated coconut). The quality and impact is so measureable! :)
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ive had some setbacks during the last year and a half too. Don't let them get you down. I went to an amusement park, and it was so hot. I bought a frozen lemonade and drank it before looking at the carb content. It had 99 carbs. I also had breaded chicken tenders that day. I didn't lose anything for about 4 weeks after that. I had a surgery where they gave me lactated ringer IV fluid, which also knocked me out of ketosis too. Ive tried to eat too many "low carb" foods that have knocked me out too. I just get back on track and keep going. Its been a learning process.

Yeah, I know I just need to get back up and keep going... hearing that I'm not the only one that doesn't have weight just melting off daily does help.

How long have you been doing this and how much have you lost so far?

Lost 83 pounds..since February 2014
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Lost 83 pounds..since February 2014

Wow! Congrats!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think that you may be "overthinking" the whole process. LCHF is not like a lot of other weight loss programs mainly because it isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change and you have the rest of your life to get it right. You'll make mistakes and stumble mainly because what works for some does not work for others. It will come.

For me, the biggest concern was to figure out how to get past sugar cravings. In addition I am convinced that while I am not celiac I am sensitive to wheat, grains and gluten. My starting program consisted of weighing my food so that I could understand what a portion of various food looks like. It was startling to see how I overestimated how much food was necessary. Next, I cut out sugar, wheat, rice, and other grains. I also tried to increase fat. What I found was that the increase in fat pretty much killed all my cravings. All the while, I read about the LCHF way of life.

I have been on the program since August 6. I've lost 15 lbs, a lot less than many others but I am half way to goal. It's not a race and I am happy with my WOE

How do I know its LCHF that's improving things? I spent three months on a well known commercial program and over 3 months I lost 2.5 lbs even though I exercised and was careful to the point of obsession.

Be kind to yourself, be patient and realize that everyone started where you are. Many people know so much its impressive. This knowledge will come if you stick with it. For me, its been two months and I'm still learning. Don't worry so much. Start where you can and add things as you feel they will help
  • 4031isaiah
    edited October 2015
    Options

What kinds of foods do you eat and how did you get past your sugar cravings?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Knitormiss, I keep meaning to tell you that I finally tried the tea and I quite like it! It's a huge bottle, though. How long will it last once it's been opened?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Btw... Mine is also GT brand. I bought original.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Knitormiss, I keep meaning to tell you that I finally tried the tea and I quite like it! It's a huge bottle, though. How long will it last once it's been opened?

What do you mean, huge bottle? I drink anywhere from 4-8 oz a day, so a 16 oz bottle usually lasts me 2-4 days. I think it says optimum is 3 days, but you can keep it at room temperature once it is a few inches down from the top, then pour it over ice to drink... Let me know how big you're talking about!

And GT Brand Original is a flavor I haven't tried yet, but want to! I'm glad you like it. And that one is the best one to "grow" a SCOBY with to make your own brew. You can do it with the last 2-4 oz in there, if you want. I can send you links to do it!

My SCOBY at home is growing, but slowly! Terrified but excited to try it soon. They say optimum first brew is two weeks...I passed one this morning (started around 12 am last week), but the SCOBY isn't developed enough for the brew to be ready (I didn't plan right on quantity of starter to tea, so it's taking longer...)
  • finnyhaddock
    finnyhaddock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, enjoyed reading all this. Been exercising, eating high fat, low carb. first week, minimal loss. 1.3kg. next week put on 0.8kg. almost three weeks now, and started being bloated like i used to be with carbs, veg, fruit etc. feeling discouraged.

I am exercising quite a bit, and my calories have been down much more than what i was at before, although my diet before consisted of fruits, yogurt, raw veg, and soups, sometimes meat.

• 4031isaiah
    Options

What do you mean, huge bottle? I drink anywhere from 4-8 oz a day, so a 16 oz bottle usually lasts me 2-4 days. I think it says optimum is 3 days, but you can keep it at room temperature once it is a few inches down from the top, then pour it over ice to drink... Let me know how big you're talking about!

And GT Brand Original is a flavor I haven't tried yet, but want to! I'm glad you like it. And that one is the best one to "grow" a SCOBY with to make your own brew. You can do it with the last 2-4 oz in there, if you want. I can send you links to do it!

My SCOBY at home is growing, but slowly! Terrified but excited to try it soon. They say optimum first brew is two weeks...I passed one this morning (started around 12 am last week), but the SCOBY isn't developed enough for the brew to be ready (I didn't plan right on quantity of starter to tea, so it's taking longer...)

Ok. I guess it is only about 16 oz but tha seemed huge to me when I'm only drinking 2 oz at a time. I was afraid of it going bad or wasting it so I chugged the last half of the bottle at breakfast and bedtime yesterday with no ill effects.

I'm not sure I'll actually try to make my own right away, but I wouldn't mind having the link for the instructions you follow.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Hello, enjoyed reading all this. Been exercising, eating high fat, low carb. first week, minimal loss. 1.3kg. next week put on 0.8kg. almost three weeks now, and started being bloated like i used to be with carbs, veg, fruit etc. feeling discouraged.

I am exercising quite a bit, and my calories have been down much more than what i was at before, although my diet before consisted of fruits, yogurt, raw veg, and soups, sometimes meat.
    Hi Finnyhaddock,
    I know all about feeling discouraged. I just finally snapped out of a nearly month long funk myself. I did it for a month, slipped on some birthday cake and just could not seem to get back up. Today is only day 3 of my second kick at the can. I finally just decided that I have to keep starting over every day, I will. I haven't failed until I've stopped trying.

Even if we are the only ones here, I will keep coming back here to check in, if that helps you.

Oh, and, even though I'm not super experienced with this process, something tells me you might want to ease up on the exercise until you get the rest of it together. Maybe that will help.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Ok. I guess it is only about 16 oz but tha seemed huge to me when I'm only drinking 2 oz at a time. I was afraid of it going bad or wasting it so I chugged the last half of the bottle at breakfast and bedtime yesterday with no ill effects.

I'm not sure I'll actually try to make my own right away, but I wouldn't mind having the link for the instructions you follow.

If you chugged it with no ill effects, you can increase your amount, but I'll warn you, it can get pricey, and you don't really wanna miss more than a day. If you're sensitive to it, just a day off can bring the return of misery!

I haven't tried it yet, to grow my own, and I've seen two sets of instructions - using the full bottle of the kombucha itself, or using the kombucha with most of the yeast that settled out of it and strong tea... Not really much opinion on which works best... I'm about to try it, so I'll report back. :)
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I didn't get back to the health food store to re-stock today. Hopefully tomorrow.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I didn't get back to the health food store to re-stock today. Hopefully tomorrow.

My Walmart carries GT (not the original flavor, sadly) in the juice section right next to the Naked brand smoothies and such. Maybe yours does too?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Hmm... I never thought to go to Walmart. Do you get flavoured tea?