Daily Keto...

Options

Replies

• 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know some people subtract fiber, but high fiber foods kick me out of ketosis even if they are low net carbs. Even psyllium husks are a no go for me.
  • 123_lac
    Options
    Also most sugar alcohols and all the powdered artificial sweeteners in the packets. Most of them have nutritive dextrose as the first ingredient. Are you eating products that contain these things? Also I apologies if you mentioned it, but are you diabetic or IR?
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Okay, I laugh at that crap. It is supposed to be like a little cheerleader, "You did a good job, so yay!" or "You didn't to do great, let's work on that, yay!" LOL. It is HILARIOUS!!! I don't think I have ever met anyONE ever it was right on for... LOL

That being said, with Keto, the key is compliance, consistency, and patience. You have to comply consistently for a minimum of 4 weeks, preferred 12 weeks, before giving up or tweaking anything... Seriously, if you do not have the patience for this, I don't any dietary changes will ever work properly for you...

I have a quote I stole from someone and modified. "While we are doing basic arithmetic (calorie and carb counting, MFP, etc.), our bodies are doing chemistry, physics, and calculus, at the very least!"

In other words, we do what we can, and we have to have faith in the system for the rest - but NOTHING is instant. Flat out. So compliance, consistency, and patience.

I have not lost a pound that stay off since April. Period. But I have dropped a full pants size, and I have shrunk out of my undergarments. In addition to the pre-April progress. Do I still feel great? Yes. Obviously my body needed time to heal or maintain something... Faith in the process, my friend...

Your responses are bang on and exactly what I've been needing to hear. I need to get out of my own way and just stay consistent... and maybe I should also stay off the scale.

For the record, I don't actually believe MFP's weight predictions are right or that I should be gaging my success by them. I was just using that as an example.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    You can actually strain the scoby out, as well as the filaments of yeast, and it won't hurt anything. Start slowly. No more than 2 oz a day... And you might have to hold your breath the first several times so your nose won't "taste" it... If there is an actual SCOBY in there, keep it with a little of the booch in a glass or something, because that thing is worth it's weight in GOLD...

The girl in the store referred to it as the "mother". Is that the same thing? I googled it and from what I can tell, a scoby seems more like a solid blob or something. What's in the bottle I bought looks more like a slimy, shapeless mass.

I'd be afraid to keep it and try to grow my own just yet, in case I mess it up. I read that you can get sick if it gets contaminated.

I still haven't worked up the nerve to taste it,m yet, though. Maybe tonight when I get home.

What kind do you buy?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    123_lac wrote: »
    I ate low carb before doing keto but was not in ketosis. I had to really lower carbs and up fats to get into ketosis. Also too much protein could have been an issue before. If I ate too much protein at one sitting, I would get a blood sugar spike. I try not to eat too much at a time.

Hi 123_lac, I'm beginning to think more and more that protein was part of my problem as well. What have you done to reduce protein but keep up your fats?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Also most sugar alcohols and all the powdered artificial sweeteners in the packets. Most of them have nutritive dextrose as the first ingredient. Are you eating products that contain these things? Also I apologies if you mentioned it, but are you diabetic or IR?

The only sweetener I've tried is pure powdered stevia concentrate. I don't care for the after taste.

To my knowledge, I am not diabetic or IR, but I have struggled for a very long time with weight, sugar cravings and that foggy/cloudy feeling. When I read about Keto, I thought it could help. I did notice that I was starting to feel better and less foggy but I got hung up on the weight part and lack of progress on the scale and let it get the better of me.

How about you?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    I have never paid attention to mfp's weight predictions - I ignore them.

I record my food so that I'm sure I'm keeping my carbs low, and so that if I stall I have objective information to make decisions on.

I apologize - it's not clear to me what you are struggling with, thus my not very helpful advice.

If eating low carb helps you feel better, drop weight, and be otherwise more healthy then it is worth whatever hassles are presenting themselves.

If it is too complex, simplify. No sugar. No potatoes, pasta, bread. Limit fruit. Eat healthy fats to satiety. Don't overly worry about calories within that context. Don't let the scale bully you. Continue to learn.

Good luck on the journey.

Thanks! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    You can actually strain the scoby out, as well as the filaments of yeast, and it won't hurt anything. Start slowly. No more than 2 oz a day... And you might have to hold your breath the first several times so your nose won't "taste" it... If there is an actual SCOBY in there, keep it with a little of the booch in a glass or something, because that thing is worth it's weight in GOLD...

The girl in the store referred to it as the "mother". Is that the same thing? I googled it and from what I can tell, a scoby seems more like a solid blob or something. What's in the bottle I bought looks more like a slimy, shapeless mass.

I'd be afraid to keep it and try to grow my own just yet, in case I mess it up. I read that you can get sick if it gets contaminated.

I still haven't worked up the nerve to taste it,m yet, though. Maybe tonight when I get home.

What kind do you buy?

The mother just means that there is an active yeast culture. Many folks can't stomach it at first, but it's likely as beneficial if not more so, than the drink. Think of it like a yogurt that is "in process." But you'll still get great benefits from the "brew," so it if is offputting, just strain what you're going to drink into a cup... No worries. The mother would eventually cause a SCOBY to grow in the right conditions, but that means you're getting legit stuff...

My scoby looks kind of like what I would imagine a tofu hamburger would look like - off-white, waxy, but shaped like a patty... LOL

The only brand I can get locally is the GT brand. It's very well known. It's a higher sugar content than some. Be prepared to be revolted or in love, or maybe even both at the same time.

I could literally feel something happening/working after the first few sips. No more than 2-4 oz a day for the first several days or it can make you feel really icky (getting good stuff to work, bad stuff dying off)...

To me, I despise beer, and wine has too many tannins for me, but the kombucha tastes like i would imagine a dry fruity champagne-beer crossover that is barely sweetened... My fiance swears it tastes nothing like beer and describes it in less than pleasant terms, but he still drinks sodas and such regularly.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I ate low carb before doing keto but was not in ketosis. I had to really lower carbs and up fats to get into ketosis. Also too much protein could have been an issue before. If I ate too much protein at one sitting, I would get a blood sugar spike. I try not to eat too much at a time.

Hi 123_lac, I'm beginning to think more and more that protein was part of my problem as well. What have you done to reduce protein but keep up your fats?

The simplest way is to buy fattier cuts of meat...or add a fat source (butter, sour cream, coconut oil, cheese, lard, bacon drippings, etc.) to your favorite preparation. I have been known to buy a rotisserie chicken on clearance, reheat to crisp the skin and warm through, eat all the skin - then dip the breast in melted salted butter!

I love steaming broccoli, putting butter and sharp cheddar on it, the pouring steaming hot pan drippings from a fatty beef roast over the top of it to melt the cheese - there is nothing quite like it!

I bounced over to try to glance at your diary, and it looks like it is locked down, so give us an idea of what you like to eat? If in doubt, cook your meat in a fat of your choice, or top it with it. Make a sauce like alfredo or hollandaise and pour it over your meats. There are SO many options... What types of meat do you like best?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

The only sweetener I've tried is pure powdered stevia concentrate. I don't care for the after taste.

To my knowledge, I am not diabetic or IR, but I have struggled for a very long time with weight, sugar cravings and that foggy/cloudy feeling. When I read about Keto, I thought it could help. I did notice that I was starting to feel better and less foggy but I got hung up on the weight part and lack of progress on the scale and let it get the better of me.

How about you?

If you have sugar cravings and have struggled to lose weight, you have some form of metabolic dysfunction, even if it hasn't been diagnosed.

Huge signs of insulin resistance:
    Feel like a meal isn't done until something sweet is eaten to "finish it"
    Feel like a bottomless pit - you just ate and feel like you could eat an entire meal again!
    Tiredness (mental fog/cloudiness, too) after eating (feeling like Thanksgiving after most meals!)
    Feeling mostly full, having something sweet, then feeling starving shortly thereafter
    Feeling like you have zero willpower over trigger foods/never being able to eat just one (this is partly how foods are made, too, that make them addictive like this)
    High triglycerides
    Poor sleep
    and many others...

Sweetleaf brand Stevia is the only one I've found that has no dextrose or maltodextrin or anything, and it is the only one that doesn't trigger an insulin response from me! It has to be added super slowly in small amounts. If you get to much, it will taste like metallic coated chemicals. If you get that taste, you need to add more of whatever you were sweetening. I also notice it has less weird side effects of tasting when you add it to something creamy. So try a splash of cream or coconut milk, etc. next time you try it.

I'm personally not worried about losing weight. I'm worried about gaining health. Plus, I know that if I continue to gain health, the weight will follow when it's good and ready.

How you feel is a great marker. Track symptoms and side effects (and when they go away). Track energy levels. Take measurements. Take pictures even if you never want to look at them or share them. Sure, get on the scale. But honestly, I would rather lose sizes of clothing than pounds on the scale. For me, when one stalled the other moved and vice versa... Figure out what you can track to remind you of your progress.

One of the big ones for me - improved sleep. Add to that that I"m so not a morning person, but I work at 7 am, and being able to fully function early in the morning now is AMAZING...

So start tracking all the random, tiniest things!!! Trust me, you'll be happy you did.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    To me, I despise beer, and wine has too many tannins for me, but the kombucha tastes like i would imagine a dry fruity champagne-beer crossover that is barely sweetened... My fiance swears it tastes nothing like beer and describes it in less than pleasant terms, but he still drinks sodas and such regularly.

I literally just had the EXACT conversation with my husband. I said it smells like beer to me (I too hate beer) and he said it is gross and smells nothing like beer... Then he said he and can't believe the nonsense I'm willing to put in my body.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Hi Christie - Today is my first day back on the LCHF program ala The Diet Doctor. I am trying to figure out percentages and grams and all that good stuff. I finally settled on ~1450 cals/day with 80/15/5. Also, I try to eat only between 1p and 8p. I love the way I feel when I eat this way. I'm back on and determined.

How are you doing ScaryCarrie?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I bounced over to try to glance at your diary, and it looks like it is locked down, so give us an idea of what you like to eat? If in doubt, cook your meat in a fat of your choice, or top it with it. Make a sauce like alfredo or hollandaise and pour it over your meats. There are SO many options... What types of meat do you like best?

I know. I have friends on my list from other groups that don't necessarily understand or agree with the LCHF way of eating so to avoid it being an issue, it just seems easier to keep it private.

I haven't logged my food faithfully in about a week anyway.

I'm not really a big meat fan. I eat it more out of not knowing what else to eat than out of enjoyment. Dairy and legumes don't agree with my digestive system. This means no peanuts and I thought I could get away with butter but I have since learned that even butter wreaks havoc on my system.

For healthy fats, I rely on avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil and most recently coconut oil.

For meat, I've been eating bacon, chicken ground beef and salmon.

I also eat a lot of roasted veggies, salads with homemade dressing and fresh cut up veggies... All low carb veggies, of course.

A major obstacle that I have besides my digestive issues is the fact that I live with a very fit health conscious man who does not buy into the LCHF/Keto way of eating so family meals have been a challenge to say the least. His mentality is: if everyone just exercised more and ate less, the whole world would be thin... Ugh! If only...
  • 4031isaiah
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you have sugar cravings and have struggled to lose weight, you have some form of metabolic dysfunction, even if it hasn't been diagnosed.

Huge signs of insulin resistance:
    Feel like a meal isn't done until something sweet is eaten to "finish it"
    Feel like a bottomless pit - you just ate and feel like you could eat an entire meal again!
    Tiredness (mental fog/cloudiness, too) after eating (feeling like Thanksgiving after most meals!)
    Feeling mostly full, having something sweet, then feeling starving shortly thereafter
    Feeling like you have zero willpower over trigger foods/never being able to eat just one (this is partly how foods are made, too, that make them addictive like this)
    High triglycerides
    Poor sleep
    and many others...

Sweetleaf brand Stevia is the only one I've found that has no dextrose or maltodextrin or anything, and it is the only one that doesn't trigger an insulin response from me! It has to be added super slowly in small amounts. If you get to much, it will taste like metallic coated chemicals. If you get that taste, you need to add more of whatever you were sweetening. I also notice it has less weird side effects of tasting when you add it to something creamy. So try a splash of cream or coconut milk, etc. next time you try it.

I'm personally not worried about losing weight. I'm worried about gaining health. Plus, I know that if I continue to gain health, the weight will follow when it's good and ready.

How you feel is a great marker. Track symptoms and side effects (and when they go away). Track energy levels. Take measurements. Take pictures even if you never want to look at them or share them. Sure, get on the scale. But honestly, I would rather lose sizes of clothing than pounds on the scale. For me, when one stalled the other moved and vice versa... Figure out what you can track to remind you of your progress.

One of the big ones for me - improved sleep. Add to that that I"m so not a morning person, but I work at 7 am, and being able to fully function early in the morning now is AMAZING...

So start tracking all the random, tiniest things!!! Trust me, you'll be happy you did.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your responses. It's really getting me to think about what I'm doing and why.

I mean, of course I want to be healthy and feel better but if I'm being completely honest, I've also been driven by my desire to not be the "fat wife" and I stress myself out "trying" for as long as I can stand it until I encounter an obstacle that I wasn't prepared for and then I crash and burn.

I'm here hoping to break the cycle.
  • ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How are you doing ScaryCarrie?[/quote]

Doing really well, thanks. 4 days since I started, in ketosis already,
    I bounced over to try to glance at your diary, and it looks like it is locked down, so give us an idea of what you like to eat? If in doubt, cook your meat in a fat of your choice, or top it with it. Make a sauce like alfredo or hollandaise and pour it over your meats. Thmooere are SO many options... What types of meat do you like best?

I know. I have friends on my list from other groups that don't necessarily understand or agree with the LCHF way of eating so to avoid it being an issue, it just seems easier to keep it private.

I haven't logged my food faithfully in about a week
  • ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will see what I can do to make it readable!
  • 123_lac
    Options
    KnitOrMiss is right on the money. She has given you excellent advice. I usually eat 4 ounces of meat at a meal or pick a fatty cut. I cook in real butter or bacon grease, and only heavy cream in my coffee. I snack on cream cheese cubes wrapped in bacon. I make cheese balls with pepperoni and eat it with a spoon. Lately, I mix 2 cups of heavy cream with one small box of Kroger brand sugar free butterscotch pudding and divide it into 4 servings. Its good frozen or chilled. I add full fat sour cream and cheese to a lot of stuff I eat too. I always pack my lunch for work. Being prepared makes a lot of difference.
  • 123_lac
    Options
    Ive had some setbacks during the last year and a half too. Don't let them get you down. I went to an amusement park, and it was so hot. I bought a frozen lemonade and drank it before looking at the carb content. It had 99 carbs. I also had breaded chicken tenders that day. I didn't lose anything for about 4 weeks after that. I had a surgery where they gave me lactated ringer IV fluid, which also knocked me out of ketosis too. Ive tried to eat too many "low carb" foods that have knocked me out too. I just get back on track and keep going. Its been a learning process.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Ive had some setbacks during the last year and a half too. Don't let them get you down. I went to an amusement park, and it was so hot. I bought a frozen lemonade and drank it before looking at the carb content. It had 99 carbs. I also had breaded chicken tenders that day. I didn't lose anything for about 4 weeks after that. I had a surgery where they gave me lactated ringer IV fluid, which also knocked me out of ketosis too. Ive tried to eat too many "low carb" foods that have knocked me out too. I just get back on track and keep going. Its been a learning process.

Yeah, I know I just need to get back up and keep going... hearing that I'm not the only one that doesn't have weight just melting off daily does help.

How long have you been doing this and how much have you lost so far?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I literally just had the EXACT conversation with my husband. I said it smells like beer to me (I too hate beer) and he said it is gross and smells nothing like beer... Then he said he and can't believe the nonsense I'm willing to put in my body.

Nonsense? SMH. You know that Kombucha is regarded as highly healthy by nearly every single other culture in the world, aside from ours? Monks and Buddists brew it, for goodness sake! http://www.kombuchacultures.com/kombucha_history.html

Your gut is the key to your body's functioning, to your metabolism, to your body's overall health, and so many things... Restoring balance to your stomach is like cleaning out the fridge so that it doesn't stink, it works right, and it cools efficiently or something...

http://www.kombuchacultures.com/kombucha_health_benefits.html

Educate that man! LOL Though if he is like mine, he'll say, "I don't care if it will turn me into a Greek god, it smells terrible, and tastes worse, so there is no way in (&%#% I'm drinking it." LOL He made many comparisons of how it tasted compared to a human waste substance and all manner of hilarity.

But it makes the broken body feel so good once it starts. I have a friend who had WLS that went wrong, and so her insides look a bit like a treasure map someone tore apart and put back together - but badly. She could tell within her first small dose of Kombucha how neglected and abused her gut biome had been. Within one day of missing it, she was literally bedridden... So yeah, I'm a fan.

My brew is having problems because I didn't use enough starter, but I'll get it hooked up this weekend! LOL