OCTOBER Challenge

Options

Replies

• sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Checking in with positive report and a complaint about the new phone app update. WHAT I'M INPUTTING ON PHONE keyboard doesn't show while I'm typing.
    I've dropped to bottom of maintenance range, and have signed the PT sessions to forestall boredom.
    Shortened. Not signed
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Jan I wish we could take a motorhome and travel a year at some point. We are both history buffs and there are soooo many historical sites that we would love to visit. Heck, I would just love to have the motorhome to do short trips and vacations for a while. My nephew has one and they love it. It's one of those things that is on our "list" lol.

My goals for this month were to get back on the daily journaling wagon and so far I have done it. To continue with the limited wine and no coffee, and I have done that. And to continue with my limited exercise goals. I am doing 5k of steps a day because more seems to irritate my heel. And I have finally gotten back on 20 minutes of yoga. If I continue as is for the rest of a month I will be happy, but I would like to see a few more pounds. After all I have a LONG way to go!!
  • mangotango
    mangotango Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back on track with food & exercise. That scale has been edging in definite wrong direction and I need to do a big U turn right now! Been cooking and sampling way too much since retiring a few weeks ago.
    We'll be snowbirding in Florida this winter for the first time. I have a crazy amount of lists and an ever growing mountain of things to pack in the fifth wheel. Loads of appointments to get thru - doc, dentist, podiatrist, vet, etc - really making the rounds LOL. But we are edging closer to our last family birthday party & then a big Oktoberfest goodbye party with friends. All in all lots to look forward to and a big change for us. Just the idea of escaping from Chicago area and the brutal weather makes me smile!
    Wishing you all a great day!
    Marie
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My challenge of staying the course has gotten a little more difficult. I've not been feeling well for a couple of weeks with fatigue, diarrhea and pain and have just been plain perplexed as to what's going on. I had been doing so well. When I broke out in hives the picture became clear. I have histamine intolerance, which is a disorder in the metabolism and breakdown of histamines. I had a bout with this a couple years ago before I knew what it was. The symptoms are similar to an allergic response with HA, sneezing, diarrhea, congestion, joint pain, etc. At that time I was eating lots of yogurt, drinking kefir and taking probiotics all of which are VERY high in histamines.

Histamines occur naturally in foods, some more than others. It increases as food ages. So it's very high in fermented foods, aged cheeses, processed meats, alcohol and leftovers. Some other foods that naturally contain lots of histamines are apples, bananas, strawberries, spinach, tomatoes, eggs and nuts (and the list goes on.) These are the mainstays of my diet! Oh, and exercise makes the body release histamines!!

After I stabilized from my last bout I figured I was done with that. I quit the kefir, yogurt and probiotics. Really cut down on all the other foods. My symptoms eventually went away. So I returned to eating as I wanted. Well, now it's back! So you will see my food diary change a bit. And my goal for this month is to try to make this program work on a very limited diet. :s
  • janmoulder2
    Options
    Here is some info about histamine intolerance. http://chriskresser.com/headaches-hives-and-heartburn-could-histamine-be-the-cause/

Janet, you might really benefit from reading this.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Janet, hope you get it under control quickly.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Jan, thanks for the info on histamines - never heard of that disorder and I'm so sorry it's troubling you!

Marie, congratulations on your retirement! An exciting time in your life - and lots of work doing all that planning,, I'm sure. All for a good cause!

I have had a good week, getting to bed earlier on all but one night; this has had a very positive effect on my tendency to nibble too much late at night. I have been doing my hypnosis program (getting to tolerate her voice much better ;) ) and getting meditation in 6 of 7 days. My exercise continues to be above my goals, and as a result I am releasing weight - finally lost everything I had gained during my August vacation! So,, a good week so far.

I'll report weight on Sunday, my official weigh-in day. ~ Kathy
  • mangotango
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes Kathy and yes the prep is definitely worthwhile.
  • mangotango
    Options
    Somehow this only posted first sentence (above) of what I typed last night. Wonder what black hole in cyberspace its locked in? Jan, I hope your histamine problem settles down quickly. It sounds really crummy, especially with so many everyday foods involved. Good that you recognized the symptoms and know what you need to do. Wishing you a very speedy resolution on it.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Jan, thanks for all that info. I have a friend who might benefit from this knowledge. Many unexplained gastro and even urinary symptoms. Sudden bouts of sneezing, too. I'll pass it on. In the meantime, I hope you can get yourself back on track and feeling better.
  • janmoulder2
    Options
    Charlie, I posted the details of this because I think there are lots of people out there struggling with this who can't figure out what's wrong. It is well recognized in Europe, especially in the UK and Germany; but our medical system has yet to acknowledge histamine intolerance as a bonafide disorder. My bout a couple years ago was really bad. I was severely depressed, suicidal & ready to either kill or leave my husband. What clued me in was that when I started the probiotics, my symptoms got worse. I got online to check on adverse reactions to probiotics and found histamine intolerance. I took an antihistamine and it was a like miracle. Most of my symptoms disappeared.

Anyway for those of you who are more scientific in nature here is a write up from American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Just keep this in mind if you know anyone with unexplained allergy type symptoms, chronic headaches or chronic diarrhea. Also hives, congestion, flushing, arrhythmia or low blood pressure.

Jan

• mxchana
    Options
    Weigh-in day: released 4.8 pounds since last Sunday. o:)
  • sharondtd
    Options
    WOW! Huge congratulations on your loss, Kathy.
    JAN, I'm watching your food diary with great interest, and hope your recovery is speedy. MARIE, travel safely and enjoy the experience.
    mxchana wrote: »
    Weigh-in day: released 4.8 pounds since
  • retirehappy
    Options

That is awesome, you are doing the right things. Well done, You.
  • janmoulder2
    Options

Amazing Kathy!!! It's well deserved with all that exercise and low carbs!!
  • mxchana
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I absolutely could not be doing this without the support of all my wonderful and inspiring friends in this group.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear Friends, My struggle this month has been "staying on course" I have made some great improvement's by having reminders to help me continue to "stay on track". I agree with Sharon, by watching THIN PEOPLE eat it has helped me to be more mindful of what I am putting in my mouth. They are slower, more conscious of what they choose to eat, smaller amounts.

Looking forward to a loss soon !!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Kathy: What more can I say, but "Wow!"

Wanda: Good planning. You'll get there!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    October is proving to be an interesting month for me. I am not following my trainer's plan for me. I am however, going to my Body Flex classes and getting stronger in those. I am surpassing my daily step goal of 10K everyday, I am doing 1300-1600 regularly, since DH has to walk after each meal now. I have been doing some serious hikes as well. I have taken a number of bike rides this month too. I have cut back on starchy carbs considerably this month as well. So I wasn't planning any of those nice things, but they are what happened. And I am also getting ready to pack up another group of clothes I have undergrown. No complaints.

So as my fav quote says " life is what happens to you while you're making other plans."

Hope everyone else is making progress.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Yesterday was a wash for exercise, as I missed the PT session. Back on track today. Otherwise, I'm meeting goals. My weight dropped below the bottom of my maintenance range, so I loaded up on starches and got back the "cushion" pounds my doctor wants me to have. It was hard to meet 30 gram fiber goal when eating the starches, and eating that much! Had a very shortened after dinner walk with dog due to a pack of strange dogs (3 pitbulls) and sent husband out with a heavy stick for this morning's dog walk in case they are still in the neighborhood. I don't think they're from here as we've never seen them before. Enough venting.
    Joell's doing so incredibly well. NSV!!!!!
    High praise to Wanda, who is coping so well with a challenging work schedule.