OCTOBER Challenge

Options
124»

Replies

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Marie where will you be snowbirding? We don't get many here because we do have some (relative) cold, but we get a few. This year they are starting a new program to attract people for Christmas and Panama City Beach will be lit for Christmas! I can't wa
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Whoops! did not mean to post so quickly lol. ...wait to see it. We are actually going to the beach today to visit Rays Rocks. You cant find rocks here! I am finally getting ready to finish painting the mailbox that will go in front of my house and I need to decorate around it. Hopefully I will have a pic when its done.

Jan thanks so much for all that info! I have a friend who has really suffering with those exact symptoms for months and they have just changed her meds but nothing has helped. I just sent her the articles.

Grats on the loss Kathy!

I am happy that I am doing well this month. Giving up the wine and coffee have yielded wonderful results for me. Not only did the GERD go, the sleep apnea did also. I am sleeping better, feeling better, and staying on program better! If only I had known! lol
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    OH my goodness, I impressed myself with my steps today !! Some one gave us a container of Pumpkin Cookies, OHHHHH I have always loved those. BUT I whipped out my trusty "list on how to get thin" and did not eat ONE.

So Happy ! :)
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sharon your road to success keeps me on track !!!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    This week has been rocky, and the weekend will likely be as well. Doing a lot of traveling back and forth to New York State. My brother had surgery Tuesday; it went well but now he has a long healing road ahead. I went up for the surgery, back home again to teach some students, now back again this weekend to help him & his fiancee manage now that he is home. I'll do the best I can. Diet has been ok - exercise not as much as I usually do. I will probably take a beating on the scale on Sunday but, since I won't have it with me, I won't know for sure until Tuesday morning! Oh well, I will do the best I can.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Kathy, I hope your weekend is going better. Sending wishes for you brother to heal well.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sharon - I have been doing ok with food ... have eaten some things I don't usually eat but no "blowouts" >:) My brother is still experiencing some pain in swallowing (they had to temporarily shift his esophagus to perform the surgery) - but his pain in his neck is - amazingly - zero; pain-free. So he is excited about the results as are we all.
  • mangotango
    mangotango Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dream On - we will be staying in the Keys for a month and then varying lengths of time at Fort DeSoto, Lake Okechobee, Cedar Key and Pensacola. Since it's a first year snowbirding we are basically open to exploring and touching base with friends that winter in Florida too. Escaping the Northern Illinois cold and snow seemed a no brainer in retirement!
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Three weeks check-in. Still bouncing around in a several-pound swing on weight maintenance. Will check on Sunday to see how it's going. But first I must figure out a way to take up the waistband on the pajama bottoms that were tight last time I wore them. \"/
    I've done resistance and the PT, but shortened some of them. Meeting the 5-mile a day step goal. I think there was one day when I only got 5 fruit and veg servings instead of the usual.
    My posture continues to be execrable, but it always was.
    Bruised my right shin somehow so I'm adjusting exercise to favor it while staying on task. Probably ran into something, because clumsy....
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Me, I'm on a long, long plateau and fluctuating between low of 141.5 and 146. Just can't get with it and screwing up too often. Hoping that now it is colder and I won't be walking outside as much, I will get back to a regular gym routine. I burn more calories there than my hikes watching wildlife, etc. Also, gym will be open longer starting next week so I can go after Tai Chi. Now it closes to early that I can't do both. But, alas, no Tai Chi in the park soon, so I will miss that. It really is nice to practice outdoors though. Work should be settling down some soon, too.

animated-halloween-image-0789.gif
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been AWOL for a long time! Life is finally settling down. I've got the histamine thing under control and we've moved into our motorhome. Haven't had anytime to recharge for a couple of weeks and I've not been taking very good care of myself. We are both exhausted. Yesterday we had the coach in the shop all day (9 to 5) getting maintenance done on the engine, etc. I did the laundry and after a great lunch at Thai Bamboo we went to the park and took a nap in the car. Today we get to just putter.

I've missed several days of meditating, have gotten no good exercise (I don't consider moving boxes to be 'good' exercise) and eating has been sporadic. BUT, I'm ba-a-a-ck!!! And I still lost some pounds just not in a very healthy way.

This has been a valuable learning experience though. I have seen first hand what happens to my body and mind when I don't take care of myself.

Oh, BTW, we both LOVE the motorhome! The first night I looked at Tom and said, "I feel like I'm finally home!" It's smaller than the 5th wheel, but much more convenient and logical and it's just my size! In the old rig I had to get the step stool out to get into the cupboards. In this one I can touch the ceiling!

Jan
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Jan, so glad you like your new home.

For Oct. I did not use the weight machines, I did only dumbbells at home. I did get to all but one body flex class due to having to pick up a friend in the mountains that day, so no regrets, it was lovely to have our old friend with us for a couple of days. I averaged well above my target of 10K steps daily.

I am just bouncing in a l lb. range currently. So I am learning about maintenance I guess :p

Give all the Halloween candy away! And onwards to November's challenge :
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10276273/november-challege?new=1

Joell
    We are NOT going to gain that average of 10 lbs. over the holidays this year.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Weight reasonably stable within maintenance range. Met goals this week so far, but overdid PT one day and am paying for it with arch pain. Think I'll dress up as Frankenstein's monster to take advantage of my peculiar swaying gait. ;-)
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Well I am closing out October with a pleasant surprise. As you know, I have had a pretty bad couple of weeks with shoulder pain and it knocked me completely off plan and into survival mode no exercise and eating what required little preparation. This morning I faced the dreaded scales for my November weigh in and sure enough, I had gained almost 3 lbs. The good news is that I was doing so well early in the month that I would have had a 6 pound loss so I closed the month with a 3 lb. Hey I will take it!!!

Jan why is moving boxes not "good" exercise? I remember moving a year ago and it was a LOT of exercise! lol Your motorhome sounds wonderful. what kind did you buy? I do a lot of daydreaming and looking at them. My dh said one day, why do you bother? We are a long way from something like that! I said because to achieve your dreams you first have to envision them! Or as Emerson said "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen!" One of my favorite quotes

• retirehappy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Congrats to everyone on another month of being good to ourselves :).

DreamOn, way to go on the loss!

Jan, I agree moving is a LOT of exercise, even changing out bedding and clothing for the change of seasons, results in a lot of good exercise at my house.

Sharon, so glad you are learning the maintenance part of weight control, You are doing so well. But be careful, those balance exercises are tricky and seem so easy when you watch others do them. But they are demanding on our bodies. A plank is easier than the flamingo pose!

GMCharlie, love the witch and her pumpkin.

Mangotango, keep us informed of your snowbirding experience. We are going to start taking 2-3 week trips each month to warmer climates, going to Costa Rica in Feb. Looking for interesting spots for Jan and March but haven't decided. I do have family in Central Fl. but we have been there several times so might opt for So. California, haven't been there in ages. When it isn't snowing on the Front Range, the days are lovely, nights do get cold, but you can run around all day under blue skies and sunshine, so we just need breaks from the snow and cold nights.

Wanda, it is hard when someone gives you something you love to eat when trying to lose, but you are stronger than a cookie :).

Kathy, hope your brother is doing better and you are staying on top of your eating plan.

Joell
    HOLIDAY GROUP MANTRA: We are NOT going to gain that average of 10 lbs. over the holidays this year.
  • janmoulder2
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »

Jan why is moving boxes not "good" exercise? I remember moving a year ago and it was a LOT of exercise! lol Your motorhome sounds wonderful. what kind did you buy? I do a lot of daydreaming and looking at them. My dh said one day, why do you bother? We are a long way from something like that! I said because to achieve your dreams you first have to envision them! Or as Emerson said "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen!" One of my favorite quotes

"Good" exercise feels good and refreshes me. Moving stuff is just plain draining and leaves me in pain for days. I'm sure I burned lots of calories though!

Our new rig is a 2004 Holiday Rambler 'Endeavor.' It's got bedroom and living room slides and, my personal favorite, a washing/drying machine! We haven't stayed anywhere with a sewer connection yet so I haven't used the washer, but I'm sure looking forward to using it. No more laundromats!!!!

I agree completely with your philosophy! You have to envision what you want to make it manifest. This is our fourth rig. We started with a small trailer (which we loved but it was too small to live in,) then we had two fifth wheels. The first was 35 feet and we thought going longer (bigger) would solve some of our space problems so we got the Redwood. At 41.5 feet it was still not working for us when I realized the problem wasn't size, it was the kitchen island that was in the way of every pathway through the place. And I'd bend over in the kitchen to get something from a low cupboard only to bump my butt against the other side. It was quite congested even with the double slides in the living area. We couldn't even sit at the dining table because there wasn't enough room for our plump bodies! There are so many things to consider and nearly everyone goes growing pains with RVs. I've never met an RVer who is still in their original rig.

Jan

• DreamOn145
    Options
    Oh I love getting information! I am just starting to think and have a long way to go! What company makes yours? Which type is it?
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Jan, thanks for sharing. We are considering getting an RV rig to get away from snow :). This is great info for those of us exploring the possibilities.

And it also is a perfect example of why we should not give up on our weight loss goals, being smaller means you can live in a smaller space . >:)
  • janmoulder2
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »
    Oh I love getting information! I am just starting to think and have a long way to go! What company makes yours? Which type is it?

It's a Class A diesel pusher (meaning the engine is in the back.) Diesels are a lot more powerful and when you're pulling (or, in this case, pushing) 16 tons, power is very important. A Holiday Rambler made by Monaco. 38' long.

And it also is a perfect example of why we should not give up on our weight loss goals, being smaller means you can live in a smaller space . >:)

So true!!! We can sleep in a queen bed instead of a king now that we've lost 45 pounds!