"Oh, don't worry, one piece of cake isn't that many calories"
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Everything I learned in nursing school about nutrition. :smile:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    "Don't eat what your cat eats. It's not good for you." (Holds for dustbunnies, though.)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In Australia we have the healthy heart symbol to denote what foods the heart foundation believe will keep your heart healthy.... I kid you not....30%+ sugar cereals!
    Leads to one of my favorite quotes below.

http://davidgillespie.org/heart-foundation-says-sugar-isnt-relevant/

“Sugar is not a criterion because added sugar and natural sugars have similar effects on the body and based on the current level of evidence, sugar is not directly linked to [heart disease], diabetes, or obesity.”

http://heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/heart-foundation-tick
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Use Canola oil.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Use Canola oil.

Ah, yes....

"Canola oil cleans plaque right out of your arteries."

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Use Canola oil.

Ah, yes....

I know, right.... the way I found it's evilness...was I set a pan out to throwaway and it rained in it, splattering up on the siding of the house...after a few days, I couldn't get it off the siding...so my thought was " what's it doing to my arteries"....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The comforting drivel in this 2009 article might be funny as a matter of historical curiosity - if it weren't so sad to see it currently disgracing Consumer Reports' website:

#4 from CR's 10 Diabetes Myths Debunked:

Myth: People with diabetes have to follow a special diet.\

Fact: A healthy diet for a person with diabetes is typically identical to a healthy diet for anyone else.

It should include a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, low-fat dairy products, and moderate amounts of healthier fats such as those found in olive and canola oil.

And yes, people with diabetes can still enjoy sweets as long as they work them into their meal plan carefully.

*******************************************************************************
    Anyone inclined to drop CR a line can do so here:
    https://ec.consumerreports.org/ec/customerservice/customer-service.htm

*******************************************************************************

And for good measure:

36-chesterfield-cigarettes-are-good-for-you-ad.jpg
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Mmm, the throat cleaning power of a good cigarette.
  • CheriG23
    CheriG23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    When I saw an endocrinologist for a health issue she happened to notice that I was prediabetic. Her advice was "eat more fruits and vegetables, and choose leaner cuts of meat".

Um. no.... More carbs? riiiight.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Use Canola oil.

Ah, yes....

I know, right.... the way I found it's evilness...was I set a pan out to throwaway and it rained in it, splattering up on the siding of the house...after a few days, I couldn't get it off the siding...so my thought was " what's it doing to my arteries"....

That is... Really disturbing. :fearful:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Use Canola oil.

Ah, yes....

That is... Really disturbing. :fearful:

It has to do with how the oil behaves when it oxidizes and dries. Certain oils create a sort of "rubbery" layer that's impressively durable. Interestingly, Canola's not one of them, though the oil may have reacted to the siding (especially if it's wood and painted) and created a layer that is partially canola and partially paint oil.

Here's a fun fact for you: you can make outdoor house paint with flour, linseed oil (flax seed oil), and pigment -- https://artdec.ca/en/blog/2/flour-paint-an-easy-to-prepare-non-toxic-long-lasting-and-dirt-cheap-exteri

It works the same way most oil paints work -- the linseed oil, when it oxidizes, gives the paint a durable, rubbery texture that (because it's oil) resists water. Safflower, sunflower, and walnut have the same characteristics, and these oils are considered "drying oils" by painters, because they actually dry when exposed to air.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Mmm, the throat cleaning power of a good cigarette.

Hey, Arthur Godfrey and Ronald Reagan couldn't both have been wrong, right?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Be sure to spread out your calories throughout the day.

Lol! I love that! Grains are for pigs! I don't even know if that's true, but they certainly aren't for me!

My chickens are getting wicked fat on snacks of corn and oats. But I won't be eating those chickens :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Spread your calories throughout the day.

If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much or lying to yourself.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you exercise more...
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Take ibuprofen or aspirin or tylenol to reduce inflammation, reduce pain

Whoa whoa whoa why shouldn't I take ibuprofen?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »

Pretty sure he's referring to chronic, "idiopathic" inflammation and pain. "Just take ibuprofen" is the common response to anyone suffering from chronic pain, because it's believed that there's no real cause or cure and you just have to live with it and "manage" it.

However, chronic intake of either has been shown to cause GI, kidney, and liver damage. Tylenol has also been linked to increased incidence of high blood pressure and heart attack risk.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050111123706.htm
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/paracetamol-long-term-poses-risk-study-article-1.2136039
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Pretty sure he's referring to chronic, "idiopathic" inflammation and pain. "Just take ibuprofen" is the common response to anyone suffering from chronic pain, because it's believed that there's no real cause or cure and you just have to live with it and "manage" it.

However, chronic intake of either has been shown to cause GI, kidney, and liver damage. Tylenol has also been linked to increased incidence of high blood pressure and heart attack risk.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050111123706.htm
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/paracetamol-long-term-poses-risk-study-article-1.2136039

Ok that makes sense (if chronic inflammation/pain is what OP was referring to). While I understand that eating an anti-inflammatory diet and being healthy and fit is the gold standard, I am not above better living through pharmaceuticals!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options

Ibuprofen totally eats my stomach lining. It's good for occasional use in the event of sickness or injury but I have RA and can't afford to take it often.