giving it a shot but feel out of water

Options

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thank you @justsayinisall for your commitment to keeping us in the loop of your journey! I love some of the tips you've shared and how your mental game is going. I can relate!

@braves1girl - I love the description of adding in peanut butter to hit macros. I did just that today when planning out the rest of my food for the day. I love being able to add in a quick 100 calories with some delicious peanut butter. Typically I place the container on the scale and start scooping until I've eaten enough, log the grams and good to go :)
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 so glad I could help!!!
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Holy holidays Batman! So the family visited for a week, then Xmas happened. I didn't gym and I didn't count calories. Weight as follows:
    Right after the family left (12/21) 201.6 (up from 198.7)
    12/24 202.4
    12/29 206.5
    12/30 204.5

I was feeling a little fluffier :) Of course I am not reading into the numbers. Started back to the gym and logging on Monday.

Not sure if I should eat at 2600 or if I should use my Fitbit Charge HR and use the exercise numbers. I have MFP set to not lose/gain weight and of course Fitbit feeds in to that. Any opinions on that? I know I never was able to get to 2600 per day consistently and because I was doing the upping calories so gradually I know I have no idea what my TDEE is yet (yeah this 2 week vacay didn't help things *sigh*).
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    So I've been wearing the Fitbit Charge HR for about a month now. I've done multiple "tests" on the walking and it's not logging anywhere from 10% up to 30% of my steps. Can we say UGH? I went to Sams yesterday and I counted about 500 steps and then checked the Fitbit. Uhhh it didn't recognize 460 of the steps. Not sure using it as a basis is such a great idea. What the heck? Grrrrr
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Did you hold onto the cart? You have to let go or it doesn't count
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    I tried both ways. I've done hands on cart, off cart, hands pumping, hands hanging...Did another 2 walks (one last night and one this morning) and counted steps. Last night WAY off-by about 20% but this morning was pretty close. This just seems pretty inconsistent. Not exactly what I was hoping for from the Fitbit
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I HATE my Fitbit for this exact reason
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty bad inaccuracy - and likely the distance goes along with it - and therefore your daily activity calorie burn is also under-reported.

Your exercise calories where HR-based is used could be just fine though.

If you walked in such a way as to minimize step impacts - that can cause an effect.
    Because it's not the arm swings - it's seeing the step impacts despite the arm swings or lack of them like with death grip on cart.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    I took a look back and compared the calories burned 2 years ago when I was using my Bodymedia Fit band. A few years ago an active day would have been walking my senior dog (really slowly) around the block, walking a more active dog for about 35 mins, and a 5 mile bike ride. On the Bodymedia I would burn 797 calories.

So comparing to the Fitbit I would say the Fitbit does under report. The only way to find out for sure is to pay the monthly premium and wear the band. I live in a warm climate and I don't want to wear the band. It shows all the time. I'm vain enough not to want to do that lol.

I think I'm just going to eat, log, wear the Fitbit and report. See what shakes out. I imagine a trend will reveal itself lol. Can you guys tell I'm pretty happy with this portion of resetting?

I just know that this is the way. I feel it. I feel like I have found the key to the "mystery of weight loss" and I want to giggle. I know I'll lose the weight...eventually. But first I am going to be good to my body and feed it the fuel I neglected to give it for years.

I have mentioned this site to many women. I doubt most will come here. I was telling a receptionist at my chiropractors how many calories I was eating per day and her eyes about bulged out of her head. Heck I didn't believe it either. Ah well. All I can do is tell people.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I feel like once I recomp my body and lose weight I may have more creedence. But, then again, there are those that it really won't matter what i've done- eat less, exercise more is so engrained.
  • heybales
    Options
    I wouldn't pay BodyMedia again - indeed as you say, Fitbit close enough.

Because in reality, for that % of the time per day, and that % of the calorie burn per day - even if it was off by 50%, what would that mean for the day in total?
    Probably less that 5% - so nutrition labels will be off by more than that.

The mental aspect is so beneficial for cutting out stress.
    Compared to some that berate themselves for one snack or meal that goes awry - that extra stress probably causes more water weight retained than the actual food did.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    ok I think I'm at week 9 (7 and 8 were lost to vacation and holidays) I just can't believe I gained almost 4 pounds in a two week period but meh...it's all good.

Average calories 2492 weight 203.7

So my weekly calories were 16959 and fitbit says I burned 3435 (not doing any adding or subtracting for weight lifting though. not sure what I should do for weights). Not sure what I'm doing with those numbers yet but there they are lol.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    fitbit says I burned 3435 Exercise for the week:
    Monday rode bike to gym 4.6 miles. Leg weights for 30 mins. Rode bike home 4.6 miles
    Tuesday arm weights for 25 mins. treadmill for 46 mins
    Wednesday leg weights for 25 mins. treadmill for 25 mins also went walking at the mall...walking, not shopping lol 25 mins
    Thursday 38 min outside walk
    Friday arm weights for 30 mins. treadmill 56 mins
    Saturday leg weights for 25 mins. treadmill 25 mins
    Sunday was off day.
  • heybales
    Options
    If you had activity records for those weight sessions (not sure if weights, circuit, or other - see other thread) - you can go back and manually add a workout to replace the Fitbit calories. You can delete the Activity records once the manual one is added. No doubling up, merely visual uncluttering.

Then look at your weekly values again (though they won't be corrected in a new email).

If those weeks were average, those corrections should give you some better TDEE values to use.

Do you have your accounts unsynced for that?
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    I just got my weekly Fitbit report and it says I burned 17,663. I had just went back through my week and manually added up, from MFP, the calories I "earned" from exercise . Accounts are synced. So it looks like I had a weekly deficit of 750 calories.

Heybales do you think it would be ok if I didn't manually log weight lifting (I do the machines only. No free weights)? I think the amount of calories burned is negligible so I figured Fitbit would give me something because I do get an increased heart rate while lifting.

I'm just going to eat and log. Fitbit tosses in a whole new data point. I'll figure it out eventually lol.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Heybales just read your reply to my question in the other thread. I do "weights", for what it's worth.
  • heybales
    Options
    If lifting isn't that big a % of your exercise, nor of your weekly time (like 3 x 30 min vs 6 x 60 vs 3 x 90), then just taking the given calorie burn for a shorter time is probably just fine.
    As your margin of error gets smaller as you get closer to goal weight, it could.

Weight lifting with longer rests is equal calorie burn to walking about 3.5 mph, so if not doing much not bad if it happens to inflate that to say 4-4.5 mph.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Week 10 average calories 2553 weight 203.3 (starting to do a 7 day average, prior I just took weight on the last day of the week).

Fitbit says I burned 17,245 and ate 17,424 giving me +179 calories for the week yet weight is down .4 pounds. Though the calories are off a little. When I go to MFP and manually add up my calories for the 7 days I get 17,875 yet Fitbit says I was 17,424. Fitbit says I ate 451 calories less than I logged (not sure what that is about)

So here is the recap:
    week 1
    average calories 2040 starting weight 197.9 finishing weight 197.1

week 2
    average calories 2090 starting weight 197.1 finishing weight 195.7

week 3
    average calories 2290 starting weight 195.7 finishing weight 197.4

Week 4
    Average calories 2450 starting weight 197.4 finishing weight 198.9

Week 5
    Average calories 2510 starting weight 198.9 finishing weight 199.7

Week 6
    Average calories 2442 starting weight 199.7 finishing weight 199.7

Week 7 & 8
    lost to the vacation and holidays

Week 9
    Average calories 2492 starting weight unknown finishing weight 203.7

Week 10
    Average calories 2553 starting weight 203.7 finishing weight 203.3
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    "Fitbit says I burned 17,245 and ate 17,424 giving me +179 calories for the week yet weight is down .4 pounds. Though the calories are off a little. When I go to MFP and manually add up my calories for the 7 days I get 17,875 yet Fitbit says I was 17,424. Fitbit says I ate 451 calories less than I logged (not sure what that is about)"

Fitbit.com doesn't seem to take any corrections once a meal is submitted, if you corrected anything to a higher no. of cals. it probably wouldn't show up on Fitbit site. Atleast that is my experience with the site.
  • heybales
    Options
    The food syncing to Fitbit seems to have issues both ways - some double logged meals, like make a correction to one items and the whole meal total goes over again, adding to instead of replacing the current one.
    That usually stands out too - so good idea checking.

You got the other direction as our happy retiree pointed out. For that small for whole week - that's pretty good.

And great results and job hitting your goals.