giving it a shot but feel out of water

Options

Replies

• justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did 4-5 tests. Not known miles, I counted steps each time. 2 times they were spot on. 1 time it was off by about 10%, 1 was off by about 15%, the last one was off by 25%. Off=less steps.

I forgot to note that the reason Fitbit calories burned were so far off last week was that I didn't wear it for 2 days. I was camping and my activities those days were sitting in a boat fishing, so not much exercise lol. Now I wish I could say that I had to fight like hell to reel in some big ones but the reality is...the biggest thing I had to fight was the anchor. I did free over a dozen minnows, they are off to a better life.

I have been seeing some big daily fluctuations on the scale these last few weeks. More so than I did in the early weeks. Ever since the big gain around the holidays. I know it's water but it's just an interesting note. Food hasn't really changed but my exercise is a ton less.

Not exactly what I wanted to do in a reset, change input vs output drastically, but the whole medical thing threw a wrench in things so I roll with it. I've just been eating what MFP and Fitbit say I should eat to not gain/lose. Non exercise days that is around 2000 and exercise days it gets me around 2500-2700. Not sure if I should be pushing the calories up to see if I gain? Maybe the 250 calories over on a daily basis?
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Ok I did a mileage test today on the treadmill at the gym. I did 2 miles. The Fitbit gave me .03 more miles than the treadmill. So pretty accurate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since you are daily adjusting and able to do that reliably, I wouldn't worry about changing the routine.
    It's when some spend 8 weeks trying to nail down TDEE for specific schedule, and then use that figure while they planned all along to massively change the schedule when reset was over.
    That shows a misunderstanding of what is going on - but that's not you.

Now - have you confirmed you aren't getting the sync issues like many are?
    I don't like others are - but I have massively delayed syncs from Fitbit.
    Or failure by MFP to get them and reflect them.
    Of course, that would usually tend to go the direction of bigger adjustments in reality but MFP is using lower ones.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    So what test do I need to do to see if I have synching issues? I didn't know there were issues lol. I work from home and I know that every time I hit "refresh" on my Fitbit page it updates and MFP "calories earned from exercise" updates throughout the day.

So far my biggest issue with Fitbit is that it needs to be charged every 32-34 hours and I think that's because I have it set to sync continuously, all other alarms/notifications/bells and whistles are off.

• heybales
    Options
    For the Fitbit calorie adjustment under exercise - click on the 'i' for more info and confirm first a recent sync time within last 1-2 hrs from Fitbit and that it matches calories on Fitbit for that time, usually within 100-200 of current, and that the MFP calories burned stays constant to other days and what your Food diary says is your base goal.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    well huh, no it's not matching. It under reported today's exercise by 150 calories. I'm assuming I need to use the Fitbit data and eat the calories back? Will mess up reports but I'm ok with that.
  • heybales
    Options
    Now, you are aware that the Fitbit adjustment has nothing to do with a specific workout?

You could have no exercise and get a big adjustment because of being more active than your MFP activity level thought.
    You could exercise and be less active and get no adjustment.

Don't look at the adjustment - look at what the reported Fitbit daily burn was and the time - does it match the Fitbit account?

Also check your Apps - Steps tab - Fitbit Tracker should be selected as option.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    That's it, I'm totally daft! I get the whole adjustment thing. What I'm not getting is
    heybales wrote: »
    look at what the reported Fitbit daily burn was and the time - does it match the Fitbit account?
    I see where I find the calories burned report in MFP (today it says 509, right after the gym) but where do I find it in Fitbit? Is it just the exercise? Because if that is it, the numbers are really close. If that's not it, I'm flummoxed. lol

Well this weeks update:

Week 14
    average calories 2245 starting weight 204.7 finishing weight 205.7

Fitbit says I consumed 15761 and burned 16723 so -962.

Here's the recap:
    week 1
    average calories 2040 starting weight 197.9 finishing weight 197.1

week 2
    average calories 2090 starting weight 197.1 finishing weight 195.7

week 3
    average calories 2290 starting weight 195.7 finishing weight 197.4

Week 4
    Average calories 2450 starting weight 197.4 finishing weight 198.9

Week 5
    Average calories 2510 starting weight 198.9 finishing weight 199.7

Week 6
    Average calories 2442 starting weight 199.7 finishing weight 199.7

Week 7 & 8
    lost to the vacation and holidays

Week 9
    Average calories 2492 starting weight unknown finishing weight 203.7

Week 10
    Average calories 2553 starting weight 203.7 finishing weight 203.3

Week 11
    average calories 2575 starting weight 203.3 finishing weight 204.6

Week 12
    average calories 2337 starting weight 204.6 finishing weight 205.7

Week 13
    average calories 2366 starting weight 205.7 finishing weight 204.7

Week 14

• heybales
    Options
    You must not be clicking on the "i" for more info - but rather just reading the Fitbit adjustment.

Which again - is NOT exercise.

Click on the blue circle "i" next to the line that says "Fitbit calorie adjustment".
    Right under the line that says Fitbit Calories Burned (which is a calculated projection as next line says) it says:
    "(Based on xxxx calories burned as of HH:MM pm)"

That line right there, what I last wrote - is what should match Fitbit stats for the whole DAY up to that same point in time.

Obviously if that line says "as of 1:30 pm" and it's now actually 2:30 pm and you've been sitting the whole time - Fitbit is going to read higher when you look at the actual device - or if you sync often what it says in the app or online account.

Again - not exercise on Fitbit - total daily burn.

The MFP Calories Burned line should be the same daily - my instructions above for a setting to check on MFP is the fix for a bug that causes that figure to change often when it shouldn't - and would mess up your adjustment.

Now, in the stats you provide, you are giving the Fitbit daily burn totals.
    But your eating is still based on MFP and could be effected by that bug.
    Also be aware some find a bug where the MFP meal totals sent to Fitbit get duplicated or incorrectly increased.
    So confirm you spot check some days match between the logging you did in MFP and what Fitbit says you ate in total.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    ok just did the check, thank you SO much for explaining. Everything matches up! Well MFP is off by 3 calories lol. But looks good otherwise.

Update for the week:

Week 15
    average calories 2563 starting weight 205.7 finishing weight 205.5

Fitbit report: total calories eaten for the week 17941 fit bit burned 18774 so -836

I'm gearing up to go to a calorie deficit soon, probably March 1. Planning of just 500 per day. I want to do that for about 5 weeks, then it's cruise time. I'll probably gain back anything that I lose lol (yep, fully preparing for that).

Here's the recap
    week 1

week 2

week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7 & 8

Week 9

Week 10

Week 11

Week 12

Week 13

Week 14

Week 15
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Week 16
    average calories 2610 starting weight 205.5 finishing weight 206.9-209.8

Fitbit report: total calories eaten for the week 19380 fit bit burned 17239 so +2141

So calories were way up about 3 days this week. Food choices were also not wise; potato chips and ice cream for dinner one night. The weeks weights were all over the board! I'd see an icky number and jump off the scale; "not going to weigh today". Wellllll that was all week lol.

I started the 500 calorie cut yesterday. I just couldn't stand it. Knowing that the "diet" was coming I was eating pretty badly. I couldn't do another week, God only knows what would happen to the scale then lol. Don't have an exact starting weight but yesterday's weight was 206.9 so I'll use that as the number.

Just read a study somewhere, of course I can't find it again to post the link *sigh*, but it said that 30 mins of exercise (and by exercise they are talking cardio) per day is NOT enough. People should double, triple, or even quadruple that to get increased heart health. Just thought that was interesting.

So here's the recap:

week 1

week 2

week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7 & 8

Week 9

Week 10

Week 11

Week 12

Week 13

Week 14

Week 15

Week 16
    average calories 2610 starting weight 205.5 finishing weight 206.9-209.8

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    I feel like once I recomp my body and lose weight I may have more creedence. But, then again, there are those that it really won't matter what i've done- eat less, exercise more is so engrained.

No sweetie, we just have to do it for ourselves, but sometimes, there is just, that one person that "gets" it and wants it;) I was one that saw/heard someone like you (a winner in my book) and here I am today, doing it, living a better life;) denise

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ok I did a mileage test today on the treadmill at the gym. I did 2 miles. The Fitbit gave me .03 more miles than the treadmill. So pretty accurate.

Darn, when I first started, I bought a Polar because everyone was mentioning that, LOL! I doubt I can get another gadget, but who knows;) I love gadgets, and finally got a smart-phone about 4 months ago:) Never thought I could use one, I love it! It's a moto e, not the iphones I was hearing so much about, but it works amazing! I don't like to even try texting, so I just use the microphone icon on the keyboard. Course I do send too long a text sometimes. People like my brother probably wonder how I type so dang fast, LOL!!

Ok, back to your subject, so the fitbit shows a different number, is it in the ballpark though? I guess I'm asking if I can trust what the machine may say at the gym, I mean, close enough;)??
  • justsayinisall
    Options

Ok, back to your subject, so the fitbit shows a different number, is it in the ballpark though? I guess I'm asking if I can trust what the machine may say at the gym, I mean, close enough;)??

The mileage/step was almost exact. I don't know about the calorie burn though. I've never compared my fitbit burn to the treadmill burn.
  • heybales
    Options
    They are going to use the same formula - which has been around awhile.
    Only difference is treadmill knows about elevation or grade - Fitbit doesn't.

In fact to Fitbit's ability - it sees going up as shorter steps with less impact - exactly what you'd get moving easier and slower and smaller calorie burn (by a tad) - exactly opposite of what is happening.
    But then it see downhill as longer steps with harder impacts - so faster - which is at least closer to reality sometimes.
    But the distance will be messed up then.

Treadmills depends on them calibrating the system from time to time. Notice general state of repair of all their equipment, not just cleanliness, and that'll usually give clue if anyone is taking time to calibrate.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Start of Calorie Cut

Week 17
    average calories 1968 starting weight unknown. First day of the week it was 209.6 but after that it was in the 207's. It bounced all over the board. On Sunday it was 206.6. When I averaged everything out it gave me an average ending weight of 207.6 I'm just going to go with that.

total calories 13777 fit bit burned 18021 so -4247

I'm trying to stay close to eating back all my exercise calories but sometimes at night, just to get my 10,000 steps in I do a little walking around my house lol, that seems to give me a little extra calories that are not planned.

My splurge the weekend prior to starting the calorie cut messed me up pretty bad. Quick weight gain, that just didn't come off lol. Meh, it is what it is. It will even out now that I'm back with the program. Not really feeling as if I'm on a diet at all. There were a few times that I would have liked to eat a little more of “something” but it's not been a big deal. I never feel hungry. I guess that is what this whole eat more to weigh less was all about though; get your body back up to eating what you are supposed to be eating and then just cut a little bit and the weight loss should follow.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Week 18
    average calories 1994 starting weight 207.6 ending weight 206

total calories 13958 fit bit burned 18172 so -4214

Recap:
    Week 17
    average calories 1968 starting weight ? ending weight 207.6

Week 18
    average calories 1994 starting weight 207.6 ending weight 206

Got the all clear from the cardiologist, so I have been exercising a little more. On days I don't feel like exercising of any type, I just look at how many calories I would get to eat for the day (1560) and that is enough to spur me into even a little walk lol.
  • heybales
    Options
    The Fitbit can be inspiring in that way, that's for sure.

Just confirm that deficit amount of over 1 lb weekly is what you were wanting - that's 30% deficit - rather extreme.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Hey Heybales. I'm actually aiming for 20%, to give me 1# per week, but I'm still "finding my feet" on how to eat. I like to eat more of my calories in the evening, and I still haven't figured out how many calories a typical breakfast and lunch should be around. I store up my calories for the evening and then can't seem to eat them all up. I'll figure it out again.

Plus some nights right before bed, just to reach that 10,000 steps, I walk around my house and up and down stairs lol. That seems to give me some extra calories I don't eat back.

I'm also staring down that cruise and the future weight gain. I really don't want to gain a bunch of weight on the cruise but I just don't know how that's going to not happen (being realistic here lol). I mean I gain a pound in a two day weekend of not eating the greatest-it wasn't a binge, by any means, just wasn't healthy food.

I guess I'm ok with a more than a 20% for now. I know it's going to be pretty short term. But thank you for the little reminder. I do not want to mess up all the work I've put into this so far. I'll get closer to that 20%. Maybe even over eat a little.

• heybales
    Options
    Always do the math for fast weight changes - because fat is not fast - lost or gained.

1 lbs x 3500 / 2 days = 1750 calories above maintenance eaten both days.

Did you really eat that much above maintenance - like you were bed-ridden but ate Ben & Jerry's both days?

But you eat slightly above maintenance with more carbs - shoot even at maintenance but with lots more carbs than normal - you will gain water weight, few pounds simple to do.

Because normally "poor" choices includes more sodium than normally eaten - more water weight there too.

Cruise ship will have both reasons. Plus possibly excess calories.

I ran around deck every morning & weights in evening, attempted the exercise room, treadmill wasn't bad, but liked the challenge of the moving deck better.
    In fact it worked so good at making me balance - I had sea legs for almost 2 weeks after and messed up equilibrium on land.