giving it a shot but feel out of water

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Buffets are not your enemy. In fact they might be your friend :)

Pick a smaller plate to be your meal's plate, not the super sized ones. The food is not going to jump onto the plate, you will be in control of what goes on that plate. And yea, you have 2 more days to sample things you pass up if you have a hard time deciding.

Just relax and enjoy every minute of it. Walk the decks, dance, check out the exercise room (most have at least a small one) and do all the other fun activities besides eating. It will be wonderful.

Remember to NOT step on the scales the first day or two back, air travel, salt you have no control over will show up as bloated lbs. those days, wait till you can get a more accurate weigh in. When you get home get back on your normal eating routine, after a couple of days then weigh yourself.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a ton of veggies. I love veggies but hate preparing them so win-win ;)
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Remember to NOT step on the scales the first day or two back, air travel, salt you have no control over will show up as bloated lbs. those days, wait till you can get a more accurate weigh in. When you get home get back on your normal eating routine, after a couple of days then weigh yourself.

EXCELLENT advice!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In your rush to leave for the cruise - hide your scale.

Perhaps you'll forget where it was hidden, and it'll take a week to show up. Enough time to recovery from increased sodium at least.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    In your rush to leave for the cruise - hide your scale.

Perhaps you'll forget where it was hidden, and it'll take a week to show up. Enough time to recovery from increased sodium at least.

lol. seriously you two thank you! It didn't even cross my mind to not weigh when I got back, or better yet, hide my scale. I think I will absolutely take that advice and not weigh for a full week.
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If I know I had something to eat that will result in a spike on the scale, I wait a few days until I've gotten my eating and exercise routines back to 'normal' have FUN!! :-)
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Here is the damage:

Week 25
    2063 average calories per day. starting weight 202.1 (well that's what I started at prior to vacation lol) ending weight 207.8 Looks like I gained 5-7 pounds while on vacation. Don't know what the actual number is, as I stayed off the scale for the first week back on the program. Don't know, don't care lol.

Total calories eaten 14,445 fit bit burned 19,695 so -5,250

I knew I would gain on vacation that is why I started my cutting a little early. So I knew I was going to, and I did. Still hurts a tiny tiny bit. 5 weeks worth of dieting gained back in less than 2 weeks *sigh*

Onwards I go! Plan is to diet back down (average 500 calories below TDEE) to my pre vacation weight, maybe hit under 200#'s and then take a week or two or three eating at TDEE and then back on the program. I'm hoping to get off these last 20 or so pounds. Now that I know how to keep them off by eating, I'm hoping that my "weight problem" will be solved...finally. Get it off and keep it off. I'm tiiiiiired of this yo-yo dieting.

Anyone see the news stories on the Biggest Loser contestants gaining their weight back? It just can't be done doing it the stupid way.
  • heybales
    Options
    Great job on attitude.

Still, 5.7 lbs in 12 days say, if it was thought to be fat, would imply -

5.7 x 3500 / 12 = 1663 eaten daily over maintenance.

Now even if maintenance was reduced a tad because of less activity, it still seems a might big number overall to hit, but only you have an idea of how much was eaten/drunk daily - so I guess it could be possible.
    Always the issue that more is a whole lot easier than less.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I saw that article too. The guy worked out 9 hours a day and barely ate anything. Of course their metabolism is suppressed!
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the article, but my husband told me. That's sad. 9 hours a day??? Really?? Ugh, how miserable, no life at all!
  • heybales
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not sure if this is whole segment or not.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/biggest-loser-contestants-open-continuing-weight-battles-38891927

Unlike many studies that end and they say thank you maam, and you are left wondering now what (rarely does a study get you to healthy goal weight, just whatever could be lost in time allotted for study).
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Yes that is the story. It's everywhere now, or some variation of the story. What is scary to me is this; "What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight." Here is the link to the story.. They actually burn less than someone their same size. So dieting permanently lowered their metabolism.
  • heybales
    Options
    My concern with that is what I've already seen as typical response to any weight increase.

What does everyone here recognize when you start eating a tad more?

Water weight quickly goes on.

What does almost everyone have to fight?

The urge to go back to eating less.

I'm pretty sure since the researchers didn't influence eating levels, but merely tested the folks - no one ever got on a program to slightly recover a bit.

I'm sure they are all eating below even their suppressed TDEE by some amount.

In the study showing success at recovery - the folks that had a 500 cal suppression after 3 months of extreme diet - then ate at lab-measured TDEE. That is a huge benefit having that info.

And these folks didn't get that.

And these folks are mostly still exercising - in the study no exercise, so muscle mass loss was more and knocked their TDEE down even more. The 500 was additional suppression below what was expected for lost muscle and LBM.

Now, the BL folks, while exercising, I'm betting is mainly cardio - so they are still losing muscle somewhere, and that makes it easy to see why they burn less than someone their size that didn't reach it dieting.

This explains why the effect happens - this is not new info that this study is sharing. Sadly they could have known this ahead of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Week 26
    2063 average calories per day. starting weight 207.8 ending weight 207.3

Total calories eaten 14081, Fit Bit burned 18492 so -4411

Finally got a chance to watch the above video. The body is an amazing machine. Though seems a bit faulty. I just can't believe that it wants you to be at a heavier, unhealthier weight. And I wonder what figures out the "set" point? I'm assuming genetics is what comes to play here. It's a tad bit depressing lol. I'm going to just keep on doing what I'm doing and hope that the science gets figured out sometime in my lifetime. C'mon leptin supplement.
  • heybales
    Options
    The set point seems to be whatever you were at your heaviest.

Probably because of the fact your body will readily make new fat cells, but it never gets rid of them - merely empties them. So here's all these cells waiting to be filled, calling on body to do so - by eating more.

Genetics probably determines how strong an influence that has on leptin release.

So I'd suggest the implications of that are you can get thinner, you can recover your daily burn up to potential - but you might always have the body attempting to make you feel hungry to eat more when it doesn't need to.

That recover is where the researchers are wrong since their study came before other ones.
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

So I'd suggest the implications of that are you can get thinner, you can recover your daily burn up to potential - but you might always have the body attempting to make you feel hungry to eat more when it doesn't need to.

THAT is why I will always need to weigh and measure. I also think that the feeling of hunger can be combated by making good food choices-picking food that makes you feel fuller longer vs eating "empty" calories. And there is also just a whole lot of willpower. Though I'll consider it knowledge. I KNOW how to eat, I KNOW what to eat and I just need to follow that. Heck I think that is what we are all here learning, for the first times in our lives.

Though it would be nice if they could hurry up with the leptin research, it actually sounds promising.

• justsayinisall
    Options
    Week 27
    average calories 2028. starting weight 207.3 ending weight 207.2

Total calories eaten 14196, Fit Bit burned 17824 so -3628

Hmm well I did have a day that was over 2700 calories but I was also moving all day. Yesterday was a higher salt day. Not going to worry really. I can see that my average daily calories are 100-200 calories higher than prior to vacation. Even though I am eating 500 calories less per day maybe I need to adjust down even a bit more? That scares me too because I don't want to go too low. I am trusting my fitbit though on the calories burned part and not tdee.

Recap:

Week 17
    average calories 1968 starting weight 209? ending weight 207.6

Week 18
    average calories 1994 starting weight 207.6 ending weight 206

Week 19
    average calories 2144 starting weight 206 ending weight 204.8

Week 20
    average calories 1876 starting weight 204.8 ending weight 204.2

Week 21
    average calories 1867. Starting weight 204.2 ending weight 203.2

Week 22
    average calories 1907 . Starting weight 203.2 ending weight 202.1

Week 23 & 24 vacation

Week 25
    average calories 2063. Starting weight 202.1 ending weight 207.8

Week 26
    average calories 2063. starting weight 207.8 ending weight 207.3

Week 27
    average calories 2028 . starting weight 207.3 ending weight 207.2
  • heybales
    Options
    But Fitbit calories burned is your TDEE, not sure what you mean by trusting calories, but not TDEE from it.

Ya, don't go lower, you are at 20% currently.

That higher salt day can have a bigger effect than calories.
    And if that 2700 day was within 2 days, topped off glucose stores with attached water in muscle will still be there too. Some may still be there, depending on workouts after that day.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @justsayinisall , how's everything going? Give us an update when you have a chance!
  • justsayinisall
    Options
    Had a total WHOOSH! I never have a whoosh weight LOSS, only a gain lol. At the beginning of this week, after my last update, the scale actually creeped up a bit to 208.6 On Friday it was 205.1 and this morning 204.4 so it looks like my body was just hanging on to the water weight for a LONG time!

Normal weekly update will have a higher average weight (I take all 7 days weight and divide by 7) but it's nice to see it go down.

When the weight wasn't moving and *gasp* even headed up, I almost started to slide back to "stinkin thinkin" and I thought about lowering my calories even further, but Heybales reply sunk in and my head fixed itself lol.