Dresses!

Options
124»

Replies

• MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    @samlovesthesnow yeah, I keep thinking "I Could Do It!" but I would really prefer to have it done professionally...problem is I live on an island, but I suppose I could scope out a professional in Seattle...problem is I don't even know what to look for?? Would that be a tailor, or a dry cleaners maybe?? IDK...I'm hoping @fitfor30th can point me in the right direction, otherwise I'll be following the DIY YOUTUBE video :lol:
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    @fitfor30th I am SERIOUSLY considering your idea of Dip Dyeing the skirt (not the organza overlay), underneath with yellows or yellow and orange, do you have any internet links about it or information you could share? Are you planning on doing this yourself or did/will you find someone to do it professionally? Do you think I should get it hemmed first and then do it or dye it and then get it hemmed?

I am also considering searching and/or making my veil and shrug ( @brisingr86 perhaps using your idea about the material from the train, should I decide to remove it) in yellow or getting it dip dyed in yellow/orange to match the skirt...what do you ladies think? I REALLY want to incorporate some color and I DON'T want to add a sash because I don't want to draw attention to that area for one and also because I don't want to cover up the corset lacing in the back...I love that detail.

Hi Marla, I'm having mine made by someone who dyes all her dresses, was Ching in Seattle. I asked in the traditional shop if they would dye dresses and they looked at me like I was mad! I think people are reluctant to do it to an existing dress as the colouring may go wrong.

J
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    @fitfor30th hmmm...bummer! Ok, yeah I read about the lady in Seattle, but also couldn't discover if they dyed existing dresses...Well, I guess I can start practicing dying myself with some similar materials...only problem is I left my dress with my officiant in Seattle and am not sure what type of material it is...I guess I can call the place I got it and see what type of material the skirt is under the organza...

I don't need perfection as long as it has color that looks yellow-ish at the bottom and I can tie it together with a shrug and veil...I don't know, I just think it would be hard to screw up. But I guess I'll commence the science project :mrgreen: When I do the actual wedding dress skirt I will definitely dye it first and then get it hemmed in case it turns out awful, then there will be less to see :lol:

I'll keep looking for a professional dye person too...who knows...I still have time! :smiley:
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    @MsMarlaJean if you're in Seattle anyway why not contact her to see if she will dye existing dresses? (And tell me if she exists, as I just sent a lot of money across the world to someone I've never met!)
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    I am going to go into David's Bridal for my alterations consult hopefully this coming week, I need it hemmed and then I'm going to see how much it would cost to have sleeves added so I figure I might as well ask them about dyeing the corset sash and if they would consider dip dyeing the skirt and also how much, if it's outrageous I think I might just do it myself. I'm feeling more and more confident about that...I bought some dye and I'm going to try it on some similar fabrics just to test things out...

I also think I'm going to play around with making my own veil...I think I want a birdcage veil with a sunflower accent...
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous dresses here ladies!!

Mine is a poof and lace dress ☺ I will post after the wedding. Was not what I was expecting at all.

@samlovesthesnow I have gone for purple shoes to match the bridesmaids. Gorgeous pop of colour from under the dress ☺
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Even after the wedding I'm still obsessed with wedding dresses! Post pictures when you have them ladies!
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    Current Dress Alterations:

kl1frlnlumpj.jpg
    I didn't want a train so I'm having it permanently bustled.

7rizknlgt542.jpg
    She took in about a 1/2 inch on each side of my hip area and of course it needed to be hemmed.

029m1l6y3b7b.jpg
    she had me try on some "cookie cutter" sleeves to see, but I wasn't a fan, I'd want back coverage above the corset and a more plain sleeve without the appliques which I didn't think really matched the ones on my dress.

The lady I was working with said something in the back (I can't quite remember the terminology) might need to be moved about an inch unless I planned on losing weight (around the back corset area), so I said let's wait until my next fitting which will be the end of May and see how my weight loss goes...

I figure that still gives me plenty of time to look into the dip dyeing and sleeve options as well...FUN STUFF!
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely stunning! Are you still thinking of yellow for the dip dye?
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    Yes, still thinking yellow...but kinda torn between a softer yellow and a vibrant brite yellow, thinking about making a birdcage veil with yellow trim and maybe a sunflower on the comb?? also considering making a shrug either yellow or with yellow trim? just tossing these ideas around and will play with it...

I know that I will DEFINITELY dip dye the bottom of the skirt yellow and dye the corset tie yellow to match. :smile:
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    Yes, still thinking yellow...but kinda torn between a softer yellow and a vibrant brite yellow, thinking about making a birdcage veil with yellow trim and maybe a sunflower on the comb?? also considering making a shrug either yellow or with yellow trim? just tossing these ideas around and will play with it...

I know that I will DEFINITELY dip dye the bottom of the skirt yellow and dye the corset tie yellow to match. :smile:
    Some new good! I'm now nervous and f how many new will look when it comes! It sounds a bit wacky when I tell people about it! I need some kind if shrug shawl and don't know where to get one!

• Fitforevermore
    Options
    Sounds good sorry! Stupid auto correct
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    @fitfor30th I'm actually toying with the idea of making my own shrug or shawl, there are different types and when looking at the ones they had to try on, I don't think it would be all that hard even if you aren't a seamstress, I mean a basic bunched up tulle shawl could work as the most simple option, but of course it depends on what you are going for...

Let me know what you find...I have a feeling I will end up making my own based on what I am envisioning...
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to add a picture?? I have my dress (initial day of purchase, no alterations yet) and wanted to share, but no clue how to add pics?!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Click the icon that looks like a page with the corner turned down. Then you can choose files from your computer.

Can't wait to see! :)
  • RhiannonBecks
    edited April 2016
    Options
    xsk6p5x5gyqx.jpg

This is not the belt I will be using but it gives an idea...Also, I can really tell I ate pasta before hand in the big picture, lol!
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    Eek, its SO BIG! Sorry!

cxfzyi1s2db6.jpeg
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous! I love all the lace applique stuff. You look fantastic.
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Love the dress @Rhiannon0816
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    Thanks @purebells & @brisingr86 it was like the 6th dress I tried on, not at all what I thought I'd pick out, just bc it is form fitting and thought for sure I would feel self conscious, but it actually made me feel the most feminine. I go for my alterations next month, will be adding small buttons on the back I think. :smiley: