What are you having for Christmas dinner?

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
I'm looking for special occasion dinner ideas that are low carb friendly. I'm kind of over turkey and ham after our Thanksgiving dinner and leftovers that went on for weeks (although I'm still enjoying the ham cut up and scrambled in with my eggs for breakfast). I was thinking of maybe trying cornish hens or something. I have no idea if we are having guests, but I know hubby will want to have a nice Christmas dinner. I just don't want it to be a repeat of our Thanksgiving menu, which is sort of how it's traditionally been in my home. Ideas? What do you plan to make/eat/serve on Christmas?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving I had turkey & cauliflower.
    For X-mas I'm going to do it differently...
    Cauliflower & turkey B)
    I <3 turkey thighs!!!!

>:) or o:)
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was think BACON LOLOL
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I will be making herb crusted prime rib...I will be making pesto cauliflower for my low carb veggie and salad....and for dessert I will be making a no bake pumpkin cheesecake ....I will have many guest and they are all bringing something not sure what though
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    For Yule (Christmas), we usually do duck. My oldest does goose on Christmas day (and by tradition we do ham and beans on New Years), but Yule is usually duck for us. This year, hubby and I are pretty much on our own, so I'll be making 2 small whole ducks from two different recipes, with appropriate substitutions...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/seared-duck-breast-with-cherries-and-port-sauce-353376
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-duck-with-port-garlic-sauce-4528

The cherry recipe calls for honey, which I'll substitute with a honey chamomile tea/Splenda reduction instead.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Meat, meat, and more meat!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My family is firmly entrenched .... half of us have to have the turkey & fixings and the other half have to have the ham & trimmings... for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter lol. Thankfully Canadian Thanksgiving is earlier, so we aren't quite as sick of leftovers yet. The only changes ever guaranteed are to the desserts (although standard per holiday) and occasionally to the vegetable(s)... Christmas usually sees the addition of a few extra, but we aren't allowed to take any dishes away. My mom tried to change it up over the years, it didn't work. Now that I host... I initiated the discussion, but it didn't go far lol. As hostess, technically, I could switch it up, but I know we would each dearly miss our favorites. Doing LC... my only true struggle is the stuffing because its my absolute favorite!!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what we're having. My Brother and SIL are hosting and if I had to guess I'd say they'll be making ham/turkey. I'm hoping to make a low carb alternative dessert. My other brother and his wife are vegetarian...so there may be something for them as well. I'll mostly eat the meat and hopefully they'll have some salad and green beans. I don't even care that much about the food. If I want a little bit of the mashed potatoes or something I'll eat it...but I haven't missed it so I don't anticipate that part being troublesome for me. I hope anyways!
  • ki4eld
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 Use this recipe to make the bread for stuffing... http://joyfulgirl.org/2015/09/23/perfectprimobread/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You could go Ukrainian and do fish.

I wonder if a low carb gluten-free pierogi is possible...
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Oooo, you just gave me an idea! If I tell hubby I want to have a fish fry, he'll do all the work! (But I don't like fried fish, so I'd have to make something else for myself.)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    j7hlseetke61.jpg

I do braised beef short ribs. It's nice because I do them a couple days ahead & just reheat. Makes skimming the fat from the sauce easier too. Also, including a rack of lamb this year. I won't bring up the side dishes because I believe this thread was intended for low-carb ideas.

I will be making creamed kale as one side though, whereby I reduce heavy cream for the sauce...so there's that.

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You could go Ukrainian and do fish.

I wonder if a low carb gluten-free pierogi is possible...

Ha....I wish there was a low carb pierogi was possible! That is my families Christmas Eve traditional dinner. We are Polish and Slovak. I don't know what we are going to do this year. I have to talk to my mom...she pretty much does low carb now also.

Christmas Day will probably be similar to Thanksgiving...turkey or maybe ham lots of squashes, green beans, mashed cauliflower, salad...
  • ki4eld
    Options
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    We have a traditional Italian Christmas Eve meal of 7 different fishes/seafood. Calamari, Shrimp, Scallops, Haddock, Smelts... Yum. There is always spaghetti, but I'll skip that part.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Prime rib
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Makes skimming the fat from the sauce easier too.

Is this because you refuse to share the fat with your family?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Makes skimming the fat from the sauce easier too.

Is this because you refuse to share the fat with your family?

lol
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

Wow that looks so good! I'll have to see if it will work for piergies. Thank you so much!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    garlic parmesan mashed cauliflower
    brussels sprouts with bacon
    Maybe a beef roast if you're tired of turkey and ham?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I have made a perogy like casserole and layered egg crepes in a baking dish for the "dough" then layered cauli and cheese with fried Bain and onions. I did throw a potato and cheese layer in there in the middle.

I am Ukrainian and fish and perogies were eaten on Christmas Eve at my in- laws house. Now I'll want to make this too! I usually bake a ham on Christmas Eve these days, so I can carve up cold slices of it to have with the turkey. So I could do the perogy casserole this year too.

A couple of days before Christmas. I make head cheese out of pork head, hicks and feet, with a bit of beef shank, let it gel, and serve it at Christmas dinner. Very low carb and refreshing. I will roast a turkey at Christmas, and have various low carb options along with the regular potatoes and stuffing. Cabbage rolls filled with meat, or meatballs might also be made.