What are you having for Christmas dinner?

Options

Replies

• inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I will be making herb crusted prime rib...I will be making pesto cauliflower for my low carb veggie and salad....and for dessert I will be making a no bake pumpkin cheesecake ....I will have many guest and they are all bringing something not sure what though

I never thought of combining pesto and cauliflower, but that sounds delicious! I may do that too.

Pork loin roast studded with garlic cloves, rubbed with OO and rosemary. Topped with a Boursin sauce.
    Roasted vegetables
    Spinach salad
    LC dessert...probably a cheesecake.

I am going to skip all of the other sides my family will bring.

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ki4eld wrote: »

Mmmm. That could work nicely. Maybe a cheese and sausage filling instead of cheese and potato. Or I could go with an oniony filling but those are hard to make.

I am not sure this would work for the perogi dough because we boil them to cook them. But these Bagel Dogs look amazing! Might make for an appetizer. We are skipping the potato ones this year and are just doing cabbage filled. They are so yummy! Sausage and cheese sounds good too.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot how much I loved sauerkraut perogies ! That would be totally doable with my egg crepe casserole, sauerkraut and bacon.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot how much I loved sauerkraut perogies ! That would be totally doable with my egg crepe casserole, sauerkraut and bacon.

How do you make your crepes? I have found a couple LC ones made with either almond flour or coconut flour. Not sure how they would taste for a perogi casserole though.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    I think I'll use the cream cheese ones next time I do this.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I was going to stick to low carb for Xmas, but I've changed my mind. My reasoning is sound, it's not that I want to cheat and I'll probably be quite happy if I don't but I have lost NO weight in the past 3 months despite being super strict under 20g carbs and under 1500 calories, eating clean, hitting my macros etc. I am fluctuating constantly between 95 and 97kg but not making any progress below that. So I've decided to consciously have a carb up day on Xmas to try and reset things a bit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was going to stick to low carb for Xmas, but I've changed my mind. My reasoning is sound, it's not that I want to cheat and I'll probably be quite happy if I don't but I have lost NO weight in the past 3 months despite being super strict under 20g carbs and under 1500 calories, eating clean, hitting my macros etc. I am fluctuating constantly between 95 and 97kg but not making any progress below that. So I've decided to consciously have a carb up day on Xmas to try and reset things a bit.

You may as well carb up for a few days to through everything into a real tailspin.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my mum's for Christmas and, to reduce drama, am just going to eat "normally" ie higher carb. Hopefully will be able to shuffle the potatoes over to the kids, but apart from that...I just hope I don't do too much damage.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    We just decided last night that we'll make Maria Emmerich's Easy Protein "Noodle" Lasagna. It is SO GOOD, and quite easy to make. I halve the recipe and then make it serve 4, and it comes in at only 11g carbs (10 net). It tastes absolutely sinfully decadent.

I will make Sour Cream & Chive Biscuits to go with, probably. But with full fat ingredients as I always do when I make that recipe (which is amazing).

Haven't decided on a dessert yet.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My mom has been doing Christmas Eve dinner for a while, and yes there will be rolls, potatoes and other carb nightmare food, there is usually enough stuff there that won't hurt me like turkey, ham, sauerkraut and kielbasa (made without any sugar) sour cream cucumbers, and broccoli with melted cheese.
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i will be faced with 2 delicious meals- one with my family and the next day with the in-laws (both will have plenty of the same food- turkey, ham, perogies, sauerkraut, potatoes, gravy, stuffing, steamed veggies, rolls, LOTS of dessert and LOTS of liquor to be had)

my plan is to load up on veggies, meat, treat myself to a few drinks, a dessert and then start the keto-recovery process shortly after.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We decided not to have a traditional Christmas dinner this year. My grandfather is very sick, and my parents will be spending most of the day with him. Christmas evening we will just be having 'snacky' type food when we get together. I was thinking about making the perogies someone mentioned earlier with the fat head dough with a cheese and cauliflower puree filling. I still need to come up with a second item.

My dad just dropped off a few cuts of venison, so I may stick one in the crockpot Christmas Eve for dinner just for us, we have never had a Christmas Eve dinner at home, so this might be the year to start that!
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm having the family here for Christmas Eve, doing hot & cold seafood with salad & nibbly bits for the kids.

Christmas Day is at my sister in laws, Turkey & a Ham, all with the usual sides, roast potatoes, Brussels sprouts etc. I don't like Christmas pudding so that's not an issue for me.

I've just put myself on maintenance until 4 th Jan, but will still watch what I choose and try to be sensible
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    With all the talk on this site, I just picked up some head cheese at Karl's Sausage Kitchen in Peabody Ma. (German deli) Can't wait!

Here's some ideas I'm working on:

- Saint Angel Triple Cream Brie coated with a light organic fig spread. (Whole foods, so good!)
    - Soft German Liverwurst mixed w Maple Bourbon and Whipped Chive Cream Cheese, served as a pate.
    - Deviled eggs
    - Cucumber rounds, topped with cream cheese & smoked salmon, caviar
    - Blood sausage with sautéed onions, baby spinach (cream and sour cream added at the end)
    - Cauliflower Rice gratin or Broccoli Cauliflower bake
    -Beef loin (main course)
    -Duck Breast
    -Green beans and almonds

I'm also showing a subset of a post on this thread from 2011. It had so many good ideas, I thought I'd revive it for other ideas:

- Feta cheese cube & olive on a stick

- Chicken skewers with satay peanut dip : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/851647/chicken-skewers-with-satay-dip
    -
    - Chorizo & Prawn (Shrimp) on a stick

- Smoked Mackrel Pate: Flake about 4 fillets of smoked mackrel in a bowl, add 3/4 tub of cream cheese, juice of 1 lemon, some frsh chopped chives/dill and mix together. Add plenty of black pepper and a pinch of paprika.

- Halloumi (Cyrpiot squeaky cheese) skewers with parsley & lemon salsa: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4282/halloumi-skewers-with-parsley-and-lemon-salsa

- Japanese seared beef rolls: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8804/beef-tataki-rolls

- Tuna and avocado tartare served on cucumber: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5015/cucumber-slices-with-tuna-and-avocado-tartare

- Grilled chicken & sundried tomato on a stick

- Seared sesame crusted tuna : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5005/seared-sesamecrusted-tuna

- Good old sausages (chipolatas) wrapped in bacon.

- Greek lamb meatballs with tzatziki dip

Meatballs= 1 pack minced/ground lamb, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 cloved crushed garlic, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp dill, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 1 beaten egg. Combine- then chill for 1 hour before forming into balls and baking for 30 mins.

- Sour cream & chive dip with crudites.

- Italian/German meat platter (various cured & cooked meats)

- Scallops with chorizo/bacon on a stick.

- Cheese fondue with veggie dippers.

- Winter red cabbage coleslaw: red cabbage, red onion, , wholegrain mustard, mayo, a dash of vinegar.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    OMG, that all sounds so good !

Well, tomorrow is my official headcheese-making day. I always make it on the 23rd. I can't believe that I forgot to order pig's feet from my farmers. I talked to the butcher at my local neighbourhood grocery store who found me one pig's foot, so I'm all set. My pieces of pig head are too big for my pot, so I'll just use mostly pork hock, with a bit of beef shank and the pig foot, and throw in some pork neck bones instead of the head. I'm excited, can't wait until I eat some on the 24th ! It's really just cold meaty jelled soup.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for sharing all of the wonderful recipes and ideas!
  • mcgrawby
    mcgrawby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've always been intimidated to post in these threads, but I've gotten so many good ideas from this one! I wanted to share a green bean recipe I found last year, they're always a hit!

2 1/4 pounds fresh green beans
    3 slices of bacon
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    4 teaspoons of brown mustard
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp salt

1. Wash & trim green beans & cook, covered, in a large saucepan with a small amount of boiling water for 20-25 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain beans; rinse with cold water & set aside.
    2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan, reserving the drippings in the skillet. Drain the bacon, crumble, and set aside. Cook the onion and garlic ;in the drippings over medium heat for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in mustard, pepper, and salt, and cook for about 30 seconds more. Toss the beans with the onion mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with the bacon. Makes 12 servings.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I love this thread so much. Everyone else's Christmas food threads on other boards and FB keep making me crave carbs, but this thread is where it's at. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Here it is, my little "tester" head cheese. Immediately after taking this picture, I happily ate a piece. Delicious and refreshing and meaty ! Merry Christmas !h57pt2yem7hm.jpeg
    I have a large pan of this for Christmas dinner tomorrow which I will serve on an antique glass platter. It will be a very nice accompaniment to the roast turkey, sliced ham and Brussels sprouts with bacon, and my homemade low sugar pickles.
    Merry Christmas everyone!
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas all!!!

For dinner today I will be making a traditional Jamaican dinner. It'll be small as it's only my hubz and I, because we couldnt afford to go home from KY. So... I'll be making two dishes: curried chicken and stew peas. Stew peas is a dish which has pigs tail, stew beef, onions, garlic, and some red peas all in the pot. Both are served over white rice (for hubz), but I'll be having roasted brussel sprouts.

Nom nom!