What are you having for Christmas dinner?

Options

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My mil has always cooked Christmas dinner. Will be a typical carb filled nightmare, and will be the first year to not eat it all. Doesn't matter to me though. I'm fine with meat. I can eat when I get home.

My chore has always been the breakfast, and hashbrown casseroles for Christmas morning at my mom and dad's. I've already been looking for low carb recipes to substitute, and continue the tradition.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do a rib roast at Christmas. Can't go wrong with that!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I have made a perogy like casserole and layered egg crepes in a baking dish for the "dough" then layered cauli and cheese with fried Bain and onions. I did throw a potato and cheese layer in there in the middle.

I am Ukrainian and fish and perogies were eaten on Christmas Eve at my in- laws house. Now I'll want to make this too! I usually bake a ham on Christmas Eve these days, so I can carve up cold slices of it to have with the turkey. So I could do the perogy casserole this year too.

A couple of days before Christmas. I make head cheese out of pork head, hicks and feet, with a bit of beef shank, let it gel, and serve it at Christmas dinner. Very low carb and refreshing. I will roast a turkey at Christmas, and have various low carb options along with the regular potatoes and stuffing. Cabbage rolls filled with meat, or meatballs might also be made.

A head cheese?!?!?! Sounds medieval! It's so great to hear about everyone's different customs.
  • elyse520
    elyse520 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    My mil has always cooked Christmas dinner. Will be a typical carb filled nightmare, and will be the first year to not eat it all. Doesn't matter to me though. I'm fine with meat. I can eat when I get home.

My chore has always been the breakfast, and hashbrown casseroles for Christmas morning at my mom and dad's. I've already been looking for low carb recipes to substitute, and continue the tradition.

For the hashbrown casserole, I just pinned a spaghetti squash alternate for this: http://detoxinista.com/2013/02/cheesy-spaghetti-squash-casserole/ I haven't tried it, but I can definitely see spaghetti squash as a great alternative for hash browns!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have made a perogy like casserole and layered egg crepes in a baking dish for the "dough" then layered cauli and cheese with fried Bain and onions. I did throw a potato and cheese layer in there in the middle.

I am Ukrainian and fish and perogies were eaten on Christmas Eve at my in- laws house. Now I'll want to make this too! I usually bake a ham on Christmas Eve these days, so I can carve up cold slices of it to have with the turkey. So I could do the perogy casserole this year too.

A couple of days before Christmas. I make head cheese out of pork head, hicks and feet, with a bit of beef shank, let it gel, and serve it at Christmas dinner. Very low carb and refreshing. I will roast a turkey at Christmas, and have various low carb options along with the regular potatoes and stuffing. Cabbage rolls filled with meat, or meatballs might also be made.

That is very awesome. We also have fish with our pirogies on Christmas Eve. Also a salmon loaf with creamed peas on top. We make stuffed cabbage rolls also...not for Christmas but just a Polish/ Slovak thing. How funny our traditional foods are similar. Now the head cheese....yea I don't know about that!
  • esaucier17
    Options

If you haven't tried of heard of it....you can use radishes in place of potatoes for the hashbrowns. At my local grocery store they sell them already shredded. I have fried them with eggs, sausage and other veggies and they are very good!

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=86798

here is just one recipe I found.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure yet. Christmas is with my fiance's family this year. Soo, whatever meats and cheeses I can find. Veggies too. Probably no sweets or alcohol. Might make a keto cheesecake to bring along or something.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know that the spelling was all weird when I typed about my perogy casserole and head cheese. It was supposed to be bacon in the casserole, and pork hocks in the head cheese.

The head cheese is just cooked, cooled jelled meat. Like solid soup really. The broth is so rich and gelatenous that it gels. I love it so much ! The smell of it is so intoxicating to me, just meat with garlic. I make it in a 9 x 13" pan, let it set and cut it into brownie like squares. Serve it upside down and it looks beautiful. Some cultures will place some vegetables in the mold to make it pretty, but I just like meat !
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Omg I love headcheese. First had it when I was 9-10-11 and living in Germany. Yummy yum yum.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »

If you haven't tried of heard of it....you can use radishes in place of potatoes for the hashbrowns. At my local grocery store they sell them already shredded. I have fried them with eggs, sausage and other veggies and they are very good!

So could you also make latkes with radishes?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Cool, @cassandraranken! I guess my headcheese sounds more medieval @totaloblivia....since I use real pork head !! I get my meat right from my farmer, so they will cut a head up and give it to me for free. There's lots of meat on the head, on the cheeks, and I covet the head and feet since boiling those parts will make it gel firmly with no need to add extra gelatin, like I would have to do it just using pork hocks.
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

Hmmm yes I would think so.
    http://www.emmafrisch.com/2014/07/radish-zucchini-latkes-with-yogurt-mint-dipping-sauce.html

I found this...you would have to substitute the breadcrumbs. I used crushed plain pork rinds usually!
    They look yummy. Not sure about the sauce though... :neutral:
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

Hmmm yes I would think so.
    http://www.emmafrisch.com/2014/07/radish-zucchini-latkes-with-yogurt-mint-dipping-sauce.html

I found this...you would have to substitute the breadcrumbs. I used crushed plain pork rinds usually!
    They look yummy. Not sure about the sauce though... :neutral:

Holy heck, yes. That sounds awesome.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure for breakfast we will have a low carb muffin quince (sausage, eggs, cheese etc), lunch maybe a simple stirfry as I'm not sure about evening plans we may have homemade deer hash :)
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hubby is Portuguese ... I think you can imagine the carby food I'll be facing at my in-laws. I'm doing a crockpot ham there and loaded "potato" (cauliflower) casserole - it's my go-to for family functions because its AMAZING. I highly recommend fresh cauliflower over frozen.
    http://food.com/recipe/just-like-loaded-baked-potatoes-casserole-95068
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Turkey, ton of green veggies and garlic mashed cauliflower so yummy and kid approved.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    We usually do roast beef on Christmas (eye of the round or bottom round). I make mashed potatoes for those who want them, acorn or butternut squash, green beans and/or Brussels sprouts. I serve a veggie tray, cheese and crackers (I skip the crackers), and shrimp as appetizers, but do indulge in a "regular" higher carb dessert. The good news is, after such a nice low carb meal, I don't have much room for dessert and only take a small portion :).
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    We usually do a taco/nacho "make it yourself" bar. Will probably do the same but replace our (me and hubby) taco shells and chips with romaine leafs and cheese "chips" but still have all to good stuff like meat and cheese, guac, sour cream, homemade pico and some more meat and cheese. We will let the kids have their shells and chips. Gonna also try my hand at a low carb cheese cake for dessert this year.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the hashbrown alternative ideas guys! I love you all! Always here, with wonderful advice!! You are all helping more people than you'll ever know!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

Mmmm. That could work nicely. Maybe a cheese and sausage filling instead of cheese and potato. Or I could go with an oniony filling but those are hard to make.

Thanks. :)

My german uncle, who passed this year, made a head cheese that was so rich and amazing. There wasn't much jelly to it, it was almost more of a pâté. It was amazing.....

The name head cheese is unfortunate though. It scares people off. Maybe go with the German name. Would it be Kase Kopf?