Binge Eating Support Group Conversation Thread - 2016

Options
IsMollyReallyHungry
IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Welcome! Please use this thread to introduce yourself and/or tell us a little about yourself and your challenges with Binge-Eating.

How are you all doing? It is my hope you use this thread to get to know each other better and have a safe place to motivate & support one another daily. This group will be what you all make of it. So let's talk, support, share challenges, successes, and most of all share replases. We can all learn from one another. So please share, share, share. This group is what you make it so lets make it a place for all of us to get support.

One day at a time. <3

A nice poem for us if we think it is just now worth the effort or when the going gets tough and you want to throw in the towel. The name of the poem is:

'Don't Quit' by Jill Wolf

Don't quit when the tide is lowest,
For it's just about to turn;
Don't quit over doubt's and questions,
For there's something you may learn.
Don't quit when the night is darkest,
For its just a while 'til dawn;
Don't quit when you've run the farthest,
For the race is almost won.
Don't quit when the hill is steepest,
For your goal is almost nigh;
Don't quit, for you're not a failure
Until you fail to try.

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that. I like it.
  • sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    thank you for the poem, really inspiring
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Some great thoughts to start the new year
    :smile:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Hello, How is everyone doing?
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Not bad. Thanks for asking. For Jan, only a binge on New Year Day, but binge-free for 4 days now. Plus, still meeting some nutrition and fitness goals I made for this month. How're you?
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm glad to be in this group.

I'm 29, and in the past year I've gotten married, adopted a dog, gone through a lot of changes at work (mostly positive!), started making more art (I'm terrible, but it's relaxing), and worked hard to get my financial life under control. While 2015 was mostly a great year, I got totally off track with logging food an exercise, fell back into periodic binge-eating, and I gained back about 10 of the 65 lbs I'd lost in the previous year and a half.

I honestly have no idea when I started having a problem with binge eating, but I was still a kid. I've struggled with it on and off since then, with the "on" times correlating pretty closely with periods of higher stress. Of course, bingeing actually adds to the stress, rather than reducing it because of the horrible binge/shame cycle.

Whether or not I'm able to lose weight again, I definitely want to stop binge eating. I'm working on getting back into therapy to deal with underlying depression and anxiety stuff, too, because I want to be building from a solid foundation.

Anyway, as a thank you for reading all of that, here's a photo of my ridiculous dog, dressed up for Halloween as a squirrel's trusty steed:
    kw1sat8yd4ov.jpg
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Binged only on New Year's Day.
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    A week binge free so far. I haven't had that in a while.
  • MissBum
    MissBum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    5 days without a double my calorie goal binge. I'm feeling very proud and I hope i remember this pride in a weak moment. I don't get on here and comment enough, but knowing you all are here and I'm not alone, has been major for my self-loathing. I know if all these great people have these struggles too I can't be all bad ;) happy new year everyone!
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Lost over 50 pounds then gained most of it back when I started binging. For every problem that binge eating "fixed" it created even worse problems, so I am determined to figure out how to regain a healthy weight AND a healthy outlook toward food and eating.
  • fairyfey244
    fairyfey244 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My problem is I had forgotten, if I ever knew, what hunger, physical not emotional, really feels like. I have found good guide lines after much online research, and now try and 'feel' physical hunger and rate it on a scale of 1 a 10. 10 is feeling absolutely bloated and stuffed, 1 feels so in need of food that I feel stomach ache and faint. I am trying only to eat on feelings under 5, mainly between 3 and 6. It seems to be working and I am slowly getting a truthful communication going between my stomach and my brain! One day at a time, but I have lost 2 kilos in two weeks.
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    A week binge free so far. I haven't had that in a while.

Two weeks now
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Two weeks now

That's fabulous !
  • LoGeThA
    LoGeThA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My name is Denisa, I am 26 years old and I've struggled since childhood with binge eating and seasons of bulimia tendencies (binge eating and then purging) due to depression and anxiety. Right now I am either binging or restricting too much.
    The good news- I haven't binged in 4 days, which is great for me :smiley: I started kickboxing and that gave me ambition not to binge, yeey. Still having the urge, but trying not to listen. But the problem is that I am not eating enough now (I don't know how...). I hope I'll get to an equilibrium somehow...
  • Cherry_2000
    Cherry_2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I polished off a dozen donuts a couple of days ago. I hate suffering from binge eating! I envy skinny women who eat half a hamburger and just a few fries and are full. I wish I could be that unconcerned with food. To treat it almost as if it was an after, after thought!
  • malpal0111
    malpal0111 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've struggled with binge eating since I was a teenager, and while I was winning over it for a while, it has come back with a vengeance lately, triggered by some other life stressors. I'm tired of doing this to myself and need some support from others who understand the struggle. I'm happy to have found this group and look forward to getting to know everyone.

-Mallory
  • caligurl9911
    caligurl9911 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to have orthorexia and lost weight eating an extremely strict diet and didn't think of food as pleasure. Once I started allowing more variety into my diet food has now become the center of my life and I binge at night whenever I have a bad day or I'm feeling insecure or stressed. Even when I'm not hungry anymore I still feel the need to eat something. I try to not keep too much junk food at home because once I start on a binge I tend to eat everything I have. I wish food didn't control my life and I really want to break out of this vicious cycle. Sometimes when I overeat it's mostly organic healthy foods but my main problem is quantity. Too much of anything is bad and I can't seem to do moderation well.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to have found this group!

My name is Sonya and I'm 41 years old. I found and joined MFP Jan 6 of this year. I'm currently down 31 pounds since then.

I have had a real struggle with binge eating for the last 20 or so years. I've NEVER had anyone I could admit this to. I eat out of control when I'm alone (first time I've ever admitted that) hiding the sheer volume of food I can consume. My weight has skyrocketed over the years due to this. I finally decided this has to stop. Forever. I have to find a way to beat the binge. Since Jan I've managed to get my daily binging habit down to about once a week. Hey, better than 7 days a week! But a few weeks ago I became pretty sick and went on Prednisone, a steroid, for 10 days. It makes me ravenous. So I basically binged for a week. Gained 2 pounds. Four days were completely out of control. But that was then. I reigned it in and I'm now 5 days binge free, again.

I hope this group is active because I need support and want to offer support to others <3
  • Sinyane
    Sinyane Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi there, my name is Anthea and I am from South Africa. We moved to Germany about a year ago. While I love Germany & Europe, I have found it difficult to keep motivated with my weight loss. I have also been unemployed for a year now & although I am studying I feel that something is missing. I find that I overeat when I am studying, when I'm bored, procrastinating, homesick or just emotional. I try my best to stay motivated... And have even started to listen to some motivational podcasts. I look forward to interacting with others going through the same struggle and am here for support for anyone who needs it.
  • kris10mknott
    kris10mknott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am excited that I've come across this group.

My name is Kristen, I'm 21 years old and I'm in currently in nursing school which is consuming my life.

I have struggled with binge eating ever since I was a young kid. I remember sneaking into the pantry when my parents weren't looking and stuffing cookies in my mouth. I continued these kind of bad habits into my adulthood and I am not happy about it. I have always struggled with my body image. I used to get made fun of when I was younger for being the chubby kid. Over the years I have been able to accept my body for being a little more curvy than most girls but I still struggle with keeping my weight healthy and consistent. Over the past three years I have gained back the 50 lbs that I had lost when I first started college. I can definitely say that I am an emotional, stress, and bored eater. I've gotten to the point in my life where I am ok with my body being a little fluff but I am not ok with my binging to the point I hate myself.

I am happy to have come across this group and I am hoping that I can meet more people like me who need the support and encouragement to stop binging, start losing weight for good, start exercising, and begin loving and nourishing our bodies!!