Binge Eating Support Group Conversation Thread - 2016

Options

Replies

• stephaniekress52
    stephaniekress52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm Stephanie, 31.
    I never ever talk about my food issues. I can't seem to help or stop myself sometimes. Even since I developed type 1 diabetes and knowing the sweets, potato chips, and other carby stuff I put in is literally killing me I can't stop it. Buy a pie for a family or holiday dinner? Better buy 2 or 3 cause that pies gonna be gone before dawn. Bored? 20 fruit roll ups will take care of that! Sad? A bag of potato chips! I managed to polish off a bag of family size potato chips in one sitting last week. I don't purge. Never been tempted to. I just eat and eat and eat. I haven't been binged since Sunday though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm Stephanie, 31.
    I never ever talk about my food issues. I can't seem to help or stop myself sometimes. Even since I developed type 1 diabetes and knowing the sweets, potato chips, and other carby stuff I put in is literally killing me I can't stop it. Buy a pie for a family or holiday dinner? Better buy 2 or 3 cause that pies gonna be gone before dawn. Bored? 20 fruit roll ups will take care of that! Sad? A bag of potato chips! I managed to polish off a bag of family size potato chips in one sitting last week. I don't purge. Never been tempted to. I just eat and eat and eat. I haven't been binged since Sunday though.

@stephaniekress52 - Did you mean Type 2 Diabetes? A person can't develop Type 1 - they are born with it, even if it takes time to show up. Now Type 2? You can develop that. I'm just curious, personally, as the way each type of diabetes works is very very different. Type 1 stops producing insulin altogether as the beta cells die off/are killed. Type 2 stops being able to use insulin well, etc., including insulin resistance and other issues, typically creating increased blood glucose levels and worsened health markers, though they can still produce insulin, it just doesn't work once it's produced. Type 1 may or may not react well to added insulin, depending on other factors.

Either way, I'm sorry for your diagnosis, and my insulin resistance and other issues lead be to be VERY similar to your described behavior above. Through dietary change, condition treatment, and supplement additions, I'm FINALLY starting to get a handle on it, though the voice compelling me to do all those things is still very much there, it's just easier to turn down the volume once in a while.

Wishing you the best of luck as you travel down this path... This group is one of the best I've found for the support in this area.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @stephaniekress52 - I totally stand corrected...apparently there is a class of type 1 that may or may not be true type 1 but reacts in the same way that can be developed late in life. I had NEVER heard of this before - and it's a fairly new thing apparently, not fully accepted in the medical community yet, but thank you for the education... I didn't even know this was or could be possible. Please accept my apology for being an arrogant twit.
  • dice80
    dice80 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Brandeis and I have problems with binge eating. I have been binge eating since I was a child. I lost over 100 pounds last year but it seems to be creeping back up because I can't seem to get control of my eating. I'm trying to stay away from appetite suppressants because they don't really work anyway but I have no where else to turn. Any advice or support is welcome.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Brandeis. 100 pounds is an amazing feat. Wishing you renewed success.
  • daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm Danielle. I'm a college student and marathon runner, but I'm taking a break from racing as it's unhealthy for me to put that much stress/damage on my body due to weight. I started running in 2011 and lost about 40 pounds, gained 30 back when I got to college, lost 20 the summer after freshman year, ran a Boston qualifying time in my first marathon, was in the best shape of my life, then I got hurt. Then I had about 7 different unrelated injuries cuz I wouldn't just chill out and started binge eating. 40 lb difference from when I qualified for Boston and when I ran it this year and I'm absolutely disgusted with myself. I lost about 10 lbs this summer but I gained it all back cuz no self control
  • emptyrooms
    emptyrooms Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm Melissa. I used to have an eating disorder not otherwise specified (EDNOS) but over the years it's morphed into binge eating. I'm horrible with it, but doing my best to stop. I need to become healthier and I know I can't do that if I continue to binge. It's hard to have portion control since I'm used to eating so much, but I'm doing my best. I hope to continue this and meet some like minded people. I have a lot to lose (140+ lbs) so I'll be here for awhile.
  • Nevadaden
    Options
    Welcome, Melissa.
  • jennieh1980
    jennieh1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm new to this group today. I was diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder about 8 years ago along with BPD. The BPD is under control most of the time but the eating not. I've been 'dieting' for the last year including having personal trainers but where the binges get the better of me I've lost nothing in the last year in fact I've put weight on so now I'm wanting to grab the bull by the horns and get control!!!
  • ErikaGetsHealthy
    ErikaGetsHealthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    I am new to the group. I have gone 2 days without binging and am feeling pretty good so far. I am currently working towards a major weight loss (trying to drop about 152 or so pounds, hopefully within the next year or two). I am finally starting to establish healthy eating habits, but I have had a life-long dependency on food and it's not easy trying to break that lol

It's hard trying to break my addiction to unhealthy food and binging, but I am so tired of feeling like crap and not liking my body.
  • Nevadaden
    Options
    Welcome to the group, YynnYange. Good job on controlling the binges the past couple of days.
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    New to the group- happy to find one that seems active!

I struggle with BED as a comorbidity to my severe depression and anxiety. I have been this way since I was a kid, often hiding food and consuming it when nobody is around. I am in an out of control spiral, one of many, and have binged almost every single day, sometimes multiple times a day, for months now, causing me to gain a significant amount of weight.

I have a spouse who has a totally normal relationship to food and never overeats who does not understand how to handle my situation- often trying to help but usually making things worse in the process. I am hoping by having a support group that understands what I am going through, I will be able to gain control over myself again!
  • Kristykris31
    Kristykris31 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just discovered this group and I can already tell that it's going to be a great help! I have BED, but not even my husband knows. On the outside it appears that I lead a relatively healthy lifestyle, but my weight has yo-yo-ed my entire life because I secretly binge massive amounts of food.

I put on and lose weight quite rapidly depending on how things are going, and since having my son 7 months ago I have gained a massive amount of weight. I feel like I am back on track now, but it hasn't even been a week since my last binge. I really love the me vs the binge posts you have in this group, I think that's exactly the kind of accountability I need!

Not sure if anyone will actually read this far, but I am wondering if anyone is brave enough to log their binges in mfp diaries? I made my food diary visible to friends thinking the transparency would help me stop the binges... but instead I have found that I just won't log any food on those days. I can't even admit to myself how much food I consume on a bad day.
  • Kristykris31
    Kristykris31 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    CatSkull wrote: »
    New to the group- happy to find one that seems active!

I struggle with BED as a comorbidity to my severe depression and anxiety. I have been this way since I was a kid, often hiding food and consuming it when nobody is around. I am in an out of control spiral, one of many, and have binged almost every single day, sometimes multiple times a day, for months now, causing me to gain a significant amount of weight.

I have a spouse who has a totally normal relationship to food and never overeats who does not understand how to handle my situation- often trying to help but usually making things worse in the process. I am hoping by having a support group that understands what I am going through, I will be able to gain control over myself again!

Hi CatSkull, I am also new to the group. Can relate a lot to your intro! I have also battled with this most of my life. I don't know that I have any real advice, but if my husband were to know about my binging he wouldn't understand either. It's not that he isn't supportive, but it's so different from how he is with food. He can have the occasional chocolate and leave the rest in the fridge without a second thought. I will eat it while he's at work and replace it!!

How did you go today?
  • mysavior1998
    mysavior1998 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Vanessa and I'm new to this group but have been on and off MFP for almost 5 years. A few years back, I was able to lose 40 pounds through MFP and thought I had a pretty good handle on my bingeing, but now here I am almost back where I started. I'm at the point where I'm absolutely desperate to change. My bingeing has gotten so bad lately that I've actually gotten physically sick from it. It's really scaring the crap out of me. It's never been this bad in my life. I'm afraid if I don't change, it's going to get worse and worse to the point I really do develop health problems. I'm a single mom and have 2 special needs kids at home! They need me! Anyway, looking for support and friends. Thanks!
  • Nevadaden
    Options
    The monthly binge challenge thread is very helpful with a good support group, Vanessa.
  • kcgray5k
    kcgray5k Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggled with everything from anorexia to bulimia to binging. In 2014, I went from 135 to 105 in 2 months and then gained 45 pounds over the following 2 months. I struggle with resorting to extremes. Either I'm on a strict diet or just binging like crazy. People around me know I have weird eating habits but I eat in secret. Chocolate,candy, ice cream, bread, sugar. I am on deployment now so food is less accessible. I don't keep it in my room and only eat in the dining facility. I can avoid dessert and stick to healthy foods because I always eat around others. However, I am obsessed with food still. I will watch YouTube videos of 10K calorie challenges and other eating challenges. I love seeing people shovel food in their mouth. It's very embarrassing and I never admit it out loud. Most people don't know the extent of my problem and I'm a very normal weight because I exercise a lot and do have long periods of eating pretty healthy between binges. I'm worried that when I return home, food will be more accessible and I will break and give in to binging. I'm hoping to get a handle on this before I get home.
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Aundrea. According to the test posted, I qualify as a moderate binge eater. I get this antsy, borderline panicky need to shovel food into my mouth. At work and at home. Usually it's when I am not immediately preoccupied by work or a project, leading me to believe it's from boredom.

I'm not sure when it started - sometime between late HS and early college. I didn't realize my overeating was actually binging until 2015. Since then, I've tried to change my food habits. I've had many attempts to try and manage all the weight I had gained, and have mostly been unsuccessful.

Despite the work, I haven't gone longer than 2 weeks without having an 'episode'. However, they have become smaller (usually under 1500 cals thanks in part to not keeping binge-able foods around), but still with that feeling of loss of control and regret. Sometimes I can bounce back in a day. The last binge took me 5 days to get me back on track!

I think what I really need for this bad habit to change is some accountability and people to talk to. Help?
  • yamalindayahoocom1112
    Options
    so my name is Linda and i am a binge eater. it feels so strange to admit that to someone other than myself. i eat to fill loneliness, aggravation really anything that i can use as an excuse. about a year and a half ago i joined Food Addicts Anonymous and lost about 65 lbs. while it worked in the long run i always knew that was not to be for my whole life. didnt want the long term commitment. so about 6 months ago i left the program and of course proceeded to binge my way back 20 lbs. so here i am today confessing my soul to you all. thanks for listening to me
  • Ljay30
    Ljay30 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all, new here.
    Finally accepted that I have binge eating disorder and that no diet will fix it. I am looking for support and friends to help fix my relationship with food.