as well as a strong woman, who are you?

Options

Replies

• Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's great to learn about everyone!

As for me:

My name is Holly I am 26 and live in South Florida.
    I have 2 kids ages, 7 and 3(4 this month) and am married to the first boyfriend I ever had, who coincidentally has the same birthday as me :)

I work as an admin tech and am still attending college at night. Hoping to get a business degree.

I am always on the go with activities whether it's mine or the kids and the gym is a place to clear my head.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    *Takes the dive*

Hi All...

My name is Stephanie...go figure...I live in New Brunswick Canada (east coast right beside Maine)

I am 40 (almost 41) I have one son who just turned 19 (often referred to as Man child) Just had my 4th wedding anniversary, yes I waited and married the love of my life (he's 31...hehehe :love: )

I am currently an SAP SME in the finance department of an ISP, previous to that I was in the Canadian Military (Artilery)

I have too many hobbies to name and love to read almost anything but my faves are hisotrical romances (can't help it) and fantasy books that involve anything magic or are mystical

As a young person I was always fit, even more so in the military until I got pregnant and those idiots stopped me from exercising...haha I got big.

At my heaviest 205 (I am 5ft 7). Recently joined MFP but lost almost 25lbs prior to that.

I have a love hate relationship with cardio of any sort...just recently threw my treadmill out...:drinker:

I have always loved being strong and look forward to the lifting (I start tonight)
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    here goes!

I'm Erin, 28 years old, Live in Edmonton Alberta.

Married to the man of my dreams 5 years this December, we've known each other since I was 15 and he was 14, he dated a friend of mine and I remember saying to her "I hope the man I marry is exactly like him"!!!..

Have two cats, Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill and a smooth coated collie named Shelby (we didn't name her, she came to us with that name). I'm trying to convince the husband to get another dog, but so far he's not budging.

No kiddos yet, have had 2 miscarriages, hopefully the next one works out with better outcomes, if we don't have kids we'll still be super happy living our lives without them :)

I work from home as a payroll admin, it's pretty geeky but I like it.

LOVE to travel, just got back from a trip to Vegas on saturday, sadly I didn't win anything (probably have to gamble more than 5 dollars to win)

I love really girly things, pink, glitter, sparkley ,unicorns etc . My mom says that I used to wear dresses everyday, and than go play in the mud and dirt and beat the boys up.... sounds about right.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Just joined the group, and thought this would be a good place to add a first post.

I'm Angie

I'm 47, never married, 2 boys (21 and 8). I live in Ohio

I am a global account manager and have been with my company for 28 years. I like it (don't love it) and am good at what I do. But, aspire to, one day, own a business and/or work in a field that I love and that is more rewarding.

I'm an avid CrossFitter and decided I wanted to add more lifting, and have read a lot of good things about this program. We'll see how the two things work together.

I call myself a runner. I've run 2 1/2 marathons but I'm pretty slow and have never found it 'easy'. I'd like to do a full marathon just once in my lifetime, but not sure when that will be since my focus is lifting and muscles right now.

I've recently become obsessed with clean eating.

I was in a 10 year relationship that was bad 99% of the time. Maybe even 100%, but it took me a while to figure that out! I'm currently in the dating arena and haven't been real good at it. But, I'm learning with each date. :) I have a strong faith and believe that all things happen for a reason. I'm an optimist and hope that my life plan includes a great healthy relationship somewhere down the road.

About 3 years ago I found myself at my highest weight of about 208. I probably weighed a bit more at some point but would not get on the scale. That's a lot of weight for someone who is 5'4". I started walking/running and joined WW. I lost about 40 pounds in the first year or two. I started CrossFit a little over a year ago and took off another 15 or so but my body has changed more than that 15#. I'm currently at 151, though my MFP ticker says 149. I've been down to that number twice, and refuse to change my ticker until it starts going down again! LOL And, I am on my way down again. My goal weight is 130 but I'll adjust that up or down as I progress. I love being strong and having muscles, and I won't give that up for pounds on the scale.

My two long term goals - To see a 4-6 pack of abs, even if it's for a day! And, to truly be competitive at CrossFit by the time I am 50.

I read a lot - not books but information, food/exercise websites, forums, etc. I suck up information....almost to a fault. I need to get off this computer now and go do something! LOL

I look forward to interacting with all of you.
  • Madhouseof5
    Madhouseof5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've just seen this thread!

I'm Kerry

I'm 35 and live in a rural village in Staffordshire, UK

I've been married to my hubby Mark for just gone 12 years, together for 17 and we have 3 boys together, 12, 9 & almost 5

I've been a stay at home mum since the birth of our second child, he was born with congenital heart defects so I became his carer for a few years (he doing very well now and no longer needs additional care).

I LOVE photography. My first job was in a portrait studio chain where I worked for nearly 5 years. It was having my second boy that made me pick up my own camera so much more and eventually people were asking me to take their photos. I am now a wedding photographer and just going to branch out into newborn photography

I joined WW in Jan 2002 and lost 21lb, my goal weight was 124lbs and I am thrilled to say I weigh less than that now, 10 years and 2 more kids later!

Outside of photography, I enjoy reading, baking, music, travel and just getting into exercise more. I think I have finally hit on things that I could keep up and enjoy for life

I was born in the UK, moved to Canada as a baby, where I lived (Mississauga, Ontario) until I was 13. We then moved to Taiwan with my Dad's job. I spent year there before moving back to the UK by myself just 2 weeks after I turned 15. I lived with my Grandparents on my Mum's side until I moved in with hubby.

I HATE, HATE, HATE being cold!! Pity as I feel the cold far more than the rest of my family.
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm Deborah, 46 years of age, single, no kiddos, but Mom to one small cat named Grace, who was a rescue who rescued me. We live in Wisconsin.

I am a chemical engineer by education and work at a chemical company in the Safety and Regulatory Affairs group.

I started lifting weights with a trainer at the gym about 3 years ago, lost 40 pounds and got into pretty good shape. I currently use MFP to track my food to make sure I get enough calories and the right kind of calories for the level of activity I do each day (varies from couch to lots of activity). I don't eat sugary/desserty foods or foods with added sugar.

I tried really hard to be a runner, but I just don't like it. I would appreciate any ideas that could help me change this. I do run intervals on the treadmill at the gym to help with endurance and burst speed while on skates.

I'm also Diva KenEvil, which is my roller derby name/alter-ego. I play roller derby, which is a full collision sport on quad roller skates. I started at the young age of 44, and am currently the oldest skater in my league. We practice 4 times a week for 2-3 hours at a time, which is a lot of endurance, hitting, strategy and strength training. It makes for interesting bruises too.

When I'm not at work or on skates, I like to read, watch tv, knit, spin (with a spinning wheel, not a bicycle) and travel.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Hello ladies. I've been lurking around here for ages so I think it's about time I introduced myself. :)

I was introduced to SL by joining the Eat Train Progress group and I've been doing it on and off for about 3 months. I'm a fan of bodypump because it makes me feel great but as much as I want to think I can, I really can't do both. So I'm going to get serious with SL and let go of pump for a while. It's tough because my gym is very Les Mills focused and I'm the only women who lifts heavy weights. I'm sure you ladies will give me the inspiration I need to stick with it.

About me: I'm an Aussie, early 50s, not really overweight, but I would like to lose a kilo or two so I'm currently eating at a deficit. I've put on about 4 kilos in the past 2 years and I would like to get it off if I can, but will see. I used to be able to drop weight without any problems but it's harder now that I'm older.

Im a geneticist, and did my phd in human genetics. I teach genetics at university and love it. I also do medical research but it's been pretty quiet in that area because I'm finishing up a masters degree to be a clinical dietitian. I don't want to set up practice, instead I want to steer my research into the nutritional genetics area, and I thought that a formal qualification in both would be the way to go.

I've been married for 25 years, no kids, but we always have animals in our household. I love to travel and try to find work conferences in exotic places whenever I can.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell. :)
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Oh, this sounds like fun!! So I'm in and here I go:

My name is Diane. I'm 28 and married with 2 beautiful daughters. I have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting and a minor in Finance. The finance minor is BS and I haven't use a single bit of it in my entire accounting career. :) I have an amazing husband that works hard for our family. Our two daughters are smart and make the honor roll every semester. They also are little athletes. My youngest plays Academy soccer which is a tournament team. My oldest plays on a tournament softball team that I coach. I also coach a basketball team. I'm in school right now to finish my 150 credit hours to sit for the CPA exam. Hopefully by this time next year I will be testing to become a CPA. My husband and I also plan on getting pregnant sometime next year to round out our babies to 3. Until then my goal is to lift and get fit that way I have some wiggle room when we do decide to have a child.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This was fun to read...although I really should be doing something useful!

I'm 45 and live in Minnesota. I've lived in Milwaukee and Bend, OR in the past.

I was in the National Guard and have the Guard (and all the taxpayers) to thank for my nursing degree. I've been an ER nurse for 13 years (RN for 20 years this year...though still not sure how!).

I've been married for 18 years. My kids are 2 long coat german shepherds, a stray cat that found me, 4 chickens of various breeds and 6 goldfish. If it's not apparent, I like animals!

I love to garden and am attempting to turn my acre suburban lot into a lawn-free yard. I also love to cook and am relearning how to bake after a diagnosis of gluten intolerance (sob...I really loved micro brews).

I suffer from wanderlust and keep myself from running away by backpacking. My record of not seeing another person (other than the husband traveling with me!) is 6 days. I aim to beat that someday.
  • hotlipsliz
    Options
    My name is Liz, I'm 30 and I've lived in New England my entire life. I live with my awesome BF and baby kitten Lemmy. I work the night shift as a psychiatric and detox RN, been an RN for five years and I feel like I've found my niche in the field. When I'm not working I'm a homebody and like to keep my life simple. I love heavy metal music, horror movies, going to gigs (yes, I do venture out, matter of fact I'm gonna see Morbid Angel next month), South Park and laughter. I don't take life or myself too seriously and can be a bit immature at times. I just started lifting this week and I wish I had started years ago.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    My name is Kylee, and I just turned 23. I was born and raised in Arizona and therefore I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I started getting serious about my weight loss in January/February. At my highest, I weighed 142lbs (I'm 5'5"). I've worked my way down to ~122lbs and I've been exploring weight lifting for about a month.

I love video games (Skyrim and WoW are my favorites), reading, writing and photography. I am currently going through a divorce (we split in February) and I was able to keep my 2 dogs- a pitbull mix, and a german shepherd mix. I try to stay active and I currently play on a co-ed softball team. I actually have a 6 hour tourney this Saturday! :)

I work in the field of Online Education, and I've been doing this type of work since I was 18. I want to go to school to study Psychology, but I haven't felt the pressure to because I make phenomenal money (not just for my age) doing what I do now. I also love body modifications; I have 14 piercings and 4 tattoos so far. I have an appointment to discuss my next tattoo this evening, which will be either a 1/4 sleeve or a 1/2 sleeve.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me happy and frustrated all at once. I am so excited about the diversity and strength I see here and so angry that I don't have more time to keep reading and reply to everyone that I found remotely interesting...

I am Angela, and I like lifting stuff. I started lifting when I was 10. My older brother was in high school and needed someone to spot him on his home gym...by my senior year of high school, I was stronger than most of the boys I knew, but I was also morbidly obese. I graduated at 257 at 5'7". I could squat over 400 pounds and had 32 inch thighs.

While other people gain weight in college, I lost...and played rugby and boxed amateur. My fighting weight was about 175.

Just had my 39th birthday and my 14th wedding anniversary. I have three kids: boy, 6; girl, 4.5; rottie, 9months and a old cat that I love dearly.

I have a BS in biology and a minor in journalism (was going to be the next Carl Sagan, right?). I also have a teaching certification, and two MAs: curriculum and instruction and TESOL (teaching English to other language learners). I am presently teaching high school life science in inner city schools. I love my kids...hate the hoops to jump through for the state, but love my kids. Did I mention that I love my kids? My great gift in life is infinite patience with other people's children...

I read. I hike. I walk. I bake (don't care for cooking really). I love music: playing, singing, listening. My kids are both taking piano, and I am learning on the sly--I mean I have to sit in on the lessons, right? :wink: I do the yard work at my house, and my husband cooks. My husband is an RN with an obsession with wood and fires: he stacks it, cuts it, collects it, splits it...:huh: and heats our house with it in the winter.

I am mildly OCD and need a routine to stay focused. I still lose my focus because I am distracted by the children in my life:my own and those I teach. I don't ever turn on the TV, but am inclined to watch if someone else does. I am selfish and lazy, but driven to stay active to be a good role model for my kids. I truly am a 15 year old boy at heart--all things inappropriate make me giggle inappropriately...

I started lifting again last month after a long hiatus since the birth of my daughter. I am within pounds of my fighting weight, and miss the strength that came with that shape. Unfortunately, 4 years of only walking doesn't do much for maintaining strength. I am looking forward to knowing more of you...hopefully my schedule will clear a bit and I can post more!:flowerforyou:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me happy and frustrated all at once. I am so excited about the diversity and strength I see here and so angry that I don't have more time to keep reading and reply to everyone that I found remotely interesting...

I truly am a 15 year old boy at heart--all things inappropriate make me giggle inappropriately...

I think everyone is fascinating! Most people are very open to friend requests :)

Also I told my husband that I'm a 15 year old boy, and he said I was flattering myself, it was an 11 year old.. again, you'll find a lot of us on here agree that bodily functions and innuendo are funny, and protein farts.. well, they speak for themselves!
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi :drinker:
    I'm Quanita (it's not Spanish, it's Arabic even though there is a Spanish version spelled the same) so like Kanthaly who gets called "K" most people (even my mum) call me Q - hence Qski :happy:

I'm 38 live with my partner of 2.5 years (we are not married). No children yet, but I hope we get to try in the next couple of years.
    Cat Mum to Arya Stark
    9217816933_87817844d1.jpg
    Arya aged 11Months by Qski McGrewski, on Flickr

She is like a dog/cat cross. Plays fetch. Races to the door when we get home for cuddles (then pretends she doesn't care.. but it's too late!). Is an absolute loony just like us. :love:

I did a BSc in Physics and Maths and didn't want to do computer science (because it was a "fad" :huh: ) but ended up working as a data analyst/database developer for the last 15 and I like my work. I am quite OCD about lists, data, numbers, things being in order, noticing coincidental and amusing patterns in numbers (that are only amusing to me). So I am an excellent logger/tracker and am tracking in everything I can track in - MFP, Weight Watchers, My own Spreadsheet, Zombies Run 5k Training, Endomondo and will probably start using Jefit to track lifting stuff.

I was born in South Africa, immigrated to Australia with my family in 1991 age 16, and other then a 3 month I-don't-know-what-I-want-to-do-with-the-rest-of-my-life travel break (South Africa, USA, UK) in 1995/6 have been in Australia since.

I have 2 younger brothers, one was always the jock growing up (like he was the best at any sport he touched -I'm not kidding- there is a cabinet at our high school with trophies and it should be renamed his trophy cabinet because they are mostly from him). He is just about to finish his PhD in Hydrology now, so has become a super geek. I used to be the super geek and was no where near a jock - I played some sport but was always very middle of the road talent wise. Now I would like to think I am going to work on becoming a jock, like he is working on becoming a geek.

I would love to lift heavy to the point of being able to compete in power lifting, but have no idea if it will be in the realm of possibility yet, since I only have my sw for bench now :embarassed: and I don't know how my linear progression is going to go.

Prior to joining this group, I did stalk and read this entire thread, but have decided I need to re-read all the awesome inside and will do that soon!

ETA: No additions really, just editing for clarity and fixing a gazillion typos
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Qski, what shorthair is she? I had a half british shorthair (black with the yellowest of eyes) who would fetch and came to call. She loved being brushed and would shout and come running if she heard me brushing the dog. Always came to the door to meet me and would actually get in to bed with the dogs.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi @roxylola, Arya is a British Shorthair, people just say British Blue most of the time here, but you get them in all different colours. I had an adoptee cat before Arya who got kitty leukemia and passed away :(. He looked just like a purebreed, but he wasn't. He did have some of the personality quirks though. But the fetching is new to me, I love it. She will even return to my self or my partner alternatively.. now you throw mum, now you throw dad. It's so cool!

ETA she loves to be brushed too! My mum doesn't like cats at all so I had to wait a long time to get one of my own. But she did like my half british short hair and also likes Arya, they just seem to be more into people than your average kitty.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    She looked British but I would have been guessing really although I believe the Russion SH is finer looking where BSH is quite chunky. They are lovely cats to own but very much convinced they are small people in furry suits. I do miss my girl's little chirp. She and her moggie brother went to live with their dad when we split. I kept the dogs!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been posting on the chat thread, but I guess I should officially introduce myself.

My name is Ronna, I'm 57, married with 1 stepdaughter, 2 sons, one granddaughter, one grandson (that I never see), 3 cats and one dog. All of the kids are grown and the youngest is in college a couple of hours from home, which is in a suburb of Houston. As you might can tell, I love to cruise and we usually go once a year. I used to scrapbook a lot, but not so much anymore. I'm a supervisor in an emergency fire/EMS dispatch center and have been working there about 23 years. My DH works at the same place, but I work days and he works overnights, but we have the same days off, so it works out well. He's been losing weight and working out since February and I'm proud of how well he's done. It's nice having someone to go to the gym with on our days off. Maybe some day I'll convince him to give up those machines and spend more time in the free weights with me. :smile:

I've been thinking about, and wanting to lift heavy for a year or more and finally decided to quit thinking about it and just do it! I'm only 15lbs from my goal weight, but the older I get, the harder it is to lose. I've decided to focus on my health and build my strength, because I don't want to be one of those bent-over old ladies leaning on a walker. Since I sit on my *kitten* in front of a computer 12 hrs a day, my posture is horrible, but lifting is helping improve it already. I've never been crazy about working out, so I've been pretty inconsistent. I'm surprised at how much I love lifting! When I leave the gym, I feel like I've accomplished something, and all I have to do is look in the mirror or flex my biceps to see the proof. Soooo much more satisfying than cardio. :happy:
  • spookyjo
    spookyjo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody :smile:

My name is Jo 45 yrs old, no kids 1 tabby cat Boris

Living with an awesome man called Martin in the south of England UK

Music is my passion, go gigging quite a bit comedy/music

Also a huge gamer

Just about finished renovating my turn of the century house.

I am a Team Leader in Aerospace company.

I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, a family and man that loves me and a job, I don't really want for much more, I love my life.

Nice to meet you all :smile:
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    My name is Kelly. I'm 38, engaged to a fantastic man who is my "one" (finally!) and between the 2 of us we have 3 boys ages 17, 12, and 6. I've been through quite a bit in my life, but I wouldn't change anything because it has molded me into the person I am today. My son will graduate from high school this year and attend college next fall. It's a very trying time for me because we are close knit, but I couldn't be more proud of him. I love my two soon-to-be step sons like my own. I feel like I'm starting all over again with the smaller one and it's challenging, especially when you throw in a mother that doesn't like that I'm raising her children. I'm up for the challenge, though, and will go through hell for them just like I would for my own son. We have 3 dogs, a cat, and a gecko. I met my first real goal at the age of 29 when I signed on my first house. My next goal met came when I dropped 50 pounds a few years ago after I learned I had high cholesterol. I'm looking forward to meeting my next goal of becoming a leaner, tighter me. My strength comes from my Savior, He never forsakes me.

I'm excited to be a part of a group of strong women and look forward to learning from each of you.