February - Leaping through those workouts!

Options

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Your "me" day sounds just fab, Dawn!!

Today was my first visit to the gym for a couple of weeks and boy could I tell. I have to say, that I had never given skiing enough credit for the work it entails. I've been doing it for 30 years and so no longer really think about it, I just love it and do it, but I don't ever really feel that I am working, if that makes sense, and the way that MFP says I've burned 3000 extra calories a day just doesn't compute with me really.

Anyway, after 4 days rest, my legs still have the mountains in them....I deloaded as per the 5x5 app due to the couple of weeks away, so 10% off where I ended and I struggled through my squats. I really did feel as though my legs didn't belong to me by the time I had also walked into work. Honestly, it has taken me by surprise completely! (and it shouldn't have done, really). Anyway, I'm back in it and am learning to respect my body and its efforts and limitations!

So:

Squats - 5/5/4/5/5 @60kgs. I suppose I could count the middle set as a full one, but I just wasn't happy with the last rep, so this way I will have to stick with this weight next time and build from there.

BP - 5x5@35kgs. Harder than I expected.

BR - 5x5@37.5kgs - This was fine - the only thing I felt I could have done more with!

Also did some dumbbell lunges, goblet squats and some inverted rows while I was in between sets or waiting for the right bit of kit.

I feel like a beginner again, for goodness sake!
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @kimiuzzell I appreciate you feeling like a beginner from the time off, but those are pretty good weights after a deload, I'm sure you'll be back in the groove quickly!

@DawnEmbers your me day sounds fabulous. I'm excited to see how you go over the next 9 weeks!

AM:
    M&F KB Day 12
    Goblet Squat 5x5 at 16kg
    Swings 19x10 at 16kg

PM:
    SQ: 5x5 at 35kg. I'm inclined to be cautious and stick with the same weight for a week at the moment.
    BP: 5x5 at 29.5kg. First set was hard, wasn't sure I would make it, but the middle sets were easier. Last rep was challenging but fine.
    BR: 5x5 at 36kg.
  • raisingcropsandkids
    Options
    Hope you guys don't mind me joining :-)
    Yesterday was day 1
    Squat 5x5 @ 45
    Row 5x5 @ 65
    Press 5x5 @ 45

My shoulders are sore today! :-)
  • raisingcropsandkids
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    I can't wait for people to start to give up new years resolutions so gym goes quite again.

Lol I keep thinking the same. Except at my gym the high school uses it as a weight room. So a zillion teenage boys crowding the weights all afternoon :-/
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Here's yesterday's SL workout.

Squats: 5x5@110 lbs. - My form is good and I can finally get all the way down although I don't plan on increase too much weight since my thighs are getting bigger with lots of fat on top. :(

Overhead Press: 5x5 @55 lbs. - I'm amazed I did these overhead presses and thought I'd struggle. It's funny how much I can feel my abs working when I'm doing these exercises. I'm kind of scared to move to 60 lbs. but may have too. :)

Deadlifts 1x5@ 135lbs. I love these exercises. Good form. Maybe I'll move to 8 reps.

Cardio: 30 minute intervals. I'm current training for a half marathon which is coming up in early March. I've managed to do one long run of 11 miles two weeks ago but due to the the weather, I definitely need to catch up.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was beautiful, and I didn't want to pass up the opportunity for a run since I'm already so far behind where I should be for a race in April my dad conned me into. But it was also a lift day, so I attempted both, and it went way better than it should have!

Run: 3.5 miles

Squat 5x5@80
    Bp 5x5@75
    Row 5x5@75

So this went way better than expected. I had some massage therapy done over the weekend... And altho there are still issues it helped a lot ... Last week 70lb bp was really bad crunchy sounding in my shoulder. Yesterday it was fine. Also, my range of motion on my rows is finally right, and 75lb felt better than 45lb did. And knowing flexibility is one of my issues I was totally amazed that I am still getting below parallel in my squats. Things just kind of clicked... An it was great.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 125
    Sumo squats-5X5X 110
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    OHP-1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 50
    BR-5X5X 85
    DL-1X5X135

Now that I am doing full body workouts every other day I have decided to deload workout B on workout A days and the opposite. I do not want to over train and develop issues. So today I did a deload on the OHP of 10lbs and 15lbs on the DL.
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5X5

2-17:
    Squat: 5X5 75lbs
    Bench: 5X5 70lbs
    Row: 5X5 60 lbs

• Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Had both boys with me yesterday, and they actually did very well in the gym. Thing1 wants to get a trainer and start lifting weights (lol he wants a girl trainer), I guess he is getting to that age.

I think a lot of my lifting issues are in my head, if that makes sense. I think the weight it too heavy, what if I drop it, etc is always going through the back of my mind when I'm lifting, so I think it undermines my gym time. Really trying to work on the little voice in my head.

Yesterdays workout
    Squat 185lbs 5/5/4/5/5 I should have got this :(
    OHP 65lbs 5/5/5/5/5
    Deadlift 160lbs 1x5

I find the OHP the hardest to do.

On off days, I'm going to hop on the elliptical machine and try to get in 30 mins of cardio (which I really, really don't want to do, but will to help with the loss, I hope).

raisingcropsandkids - Welcome! Always great to see new faces!

hanlonsk - Great job on pushing through! Awesome when things just start to fall well into place.

dcresider - Awesome job!

• ninenines
    Options
    Good to see some new faces in here, it's great to see everyone's workouts and progress.

M&F KB Day 12 this morning.
    Alternating Press 4x 5,3,2 at 6kg.
    Band Assisted Pull up 4 x 5,3,2. Three bands for the sets of 5 and 3 and two bands for the sets of 2.

Netball training tonight. Calf has improved a lot, so might be able to do a bit of running.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to basic hatha this evening after spending most of the day not getting anything productive done online. It went okay though ended up a bit lopsided in when I could hold the poses long enough. Right foot had issues with the toes cramping. I have that issue sometimes when I'm on my knees on the ground sitting and try to have tops of feet flat against the ground as my foot and/or toes will cramp. Am signed up for a workshop since I happened to have Saturday off, which is rare. Will get to learn about everything instead of just trying to follow along. Should be helpful.

Afterwards, went to gym for lower body workout. Some people this time for most of it and I even had to share the squat rack. I used it first for squats then let him use it to do his squats while I did a couple of things elsewhere. Then he was nice and let me have it back for sumo deadlift while he used dumbbells for OHP instead of the bar. Nice guy who I guess lifts 6 days a week but a little earlier than my late sessions.

Chapter 1: Squats

warm up sets 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95 and 1x6 @ 115
    squat 4x5 @ 140
    overload @ 210 - first time trying this. One set at 15 seconds of standing at the ready position with safeties nice and high, just in case.
    pause squats 2x6 @ 80 - holy pause squats batman, that was a challenge. Did counts to 8 per rep and it was hard figuring out the breathing during

good morning 4x12 @ 60 - used fixed weight so much lighter since had to clean is from the floor.
    hanging abs 3x8 bodyweight between good morning sets

leg extension 3x10 @ 100 - was waiting for power cage

sumo deadlift 1x5 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 175

Interesting session with the squats. The overload is interesting because the idea is just to stand there with the weight to get used to the feeling of it. So, they are going to go over my goal by a fair amount but at the start the PR should then feel manageable. The sites I saw recommended spotters but I don't lift with people so high safety bars are definitely going to be in place. Pause was interesting though didn't know how long to stay at bottom position for or if I needed to hold breath the whole time cause that was a bit hard to do. Saturday will be bench press day. :smiley:
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Isca - those numbers are superb.

Dawn, your squat session sounds really interesting - will be keen to know how you get on with it over the next few weeks!

After lifting yesterday, I ached this morning like billio! Still, hubby was on an early shift so I dropped him off at work and went to the gym before I started work. Only had about 40 mins but did the following:

Kettlebell goblet squats 5x5@12kgs
    Kettlebell swings - 13x10@12kgs
    Russian twists - 8x20 seconds @8kg k'bell

3x5 inverted rows on TRX machine. Watched some more videos on these yesterday and think I improved my form today as a result. Were certainly harder!

Finally, I did 5 minutes of skipping! Don't think I have used a skipping rope for many a year. My calves ached big time during this!

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 - A; Day 8

Squat: 5x5 @ 75lb
    BP: 5x5 @ 60lb
    Row: 5x5 @ 80lb

I am surprised by my progress with bench press. It's nothing impressive, but for me it's pretty great. :)
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Goblet squat-3X7X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-12 X9X 30, 10 X 10 X 30

I have raised five more sets of the kettle bell swing to 10 reps today. I am amazed at how only one more swing for five of the sets can really be felt in my body!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Managed to deload this time, don't think I miscounted :smiley:

Squats: 3x8 @ 60kg - deep squats! I thought I was going deep at bigger weights, but this was lowwwww
    Bench: 3x8 @ 27.5kg
    Rows: 3x8 @ 18kg dumbbell

I feel satisfying tired, so I definitely was still working. Starving now...
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Untamed Strength

Conventional Deadlifts 5x6 185lbs (warm up 95/135/160). That was a lot of deadlifts, I never done that many at that high of weight and it is going up next week.

Goblet Squats 3x8 55lbs kettlebell - my legs are tired or would of done more. And the planks I was supposed to do. Finished lifting and crashed for the day.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Back to 5x5 for the next wee while yay :)
    Bench 5x5 35 3x5 37.5kg
    Db bench 5x5 14kg
    Incline bench 5x5 12kg
    Hammer curl 5x5 12kg
    Oh press 5x5 20kg
    Seated row 5x5 40+
    Lat pulldown 5x5 40+
    Triceps pulldown 5x5 15+kg
    Negatives 5

Oh and hubby said he saw I had deltoids peeping thru - happiness is...
  • ninenines
    Options
    AM Workout:
    M&F KB Day 15
    Goblet squat 5x5 at 16kg
    KB Swing 16x10 at 16kg

PM Workout:
    I planned to do Stronglifts Workout B tonight, but my back was feeling a bit off. I ended up starting and did two warmup sets with the bar and one work set at 35kg. They felt fine but my back was a bit achy in the rest after the work set so decided to abandon the workout and see how it feels tomorrow.

I'm seeing a chiropractor on Thursday, this one does X-rays to get a better look at things so I'm looking forward to that and maybe some insight to what's going on.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    ninenines wrote: »
    I'm seeing a chiropractor on Thursday, this one does X-rays to get a better look at things so I'm looking forward to that and maybe some insight to what's going on.

I hope you feel better!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    christch wrote: »

Oh and hubby said he saw I had deltoids peeping thru - happiness is...

Love this!!