Low cal, low carb, breakfast omelet/Less than 200 calories

Options
124»

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    And Fit_Goat, with all due respect, my body never adjusted to Atkins. After the initial water loss from cutting carbs, I gained weight on it. So unless you are planning on buying the folks you encourage to go on this plan, new larger sized wardrobes at the end of their high/calorie low carb dieting journey, I really do suggest that you encourage a more realistic and reasonable way of eating. BTW, anyone can say anything online. The proof is in the pudding.

Sigh, you are misrepresenting my statements. First, I don't do Atkins. I don't have a "plan" and I don't encourage people to eat like I do. I do believe that calories take care of themselves, for most people, after they find their groove in low-carb. I do believe more people can eat more than the calculations "suggest" they can, but I am also a strong supporter of slow&steady over quick&dirty.

Anyone can say anything online, but I have been here long enough that there are people who have experienced my whole journey with me. Unless I am playing some 850+ day con game, at the very least my low-carb experience is fully documented on here. I did not have an MFP account when I was a vegetarian and when I tried calorie restriction. So, in theory, I could be making that stuff up. I have been on here posting details as they came in. I posted blood work, when it was done, even though I wasn't happy with a couple of the numbers. I posted the improved blood work nearly a year later, which I was happy with. But, that's how the long-con works, right? Everyone hangs around for over a year to post improved blood work.

I believe my way of eating is realistic and reasonable. I tell people to eat an amount that works for them and that their body demands from them. If your body demands 1800 calories, give it that. If it demands 2500 calories, give it that. If it doesn't feel like much over 1200 calories once in a while, don't force it. Just eat when you're hungry until you're not hungry. If you keep the carbs low, learn to recognize your hunger signals, and don't give in to emotional/boredom eating then most people will be fine eating this way. It doesn't mean everyone should be eating high-calorie.

Look, I am a big believer in doing what makes sense to you. If you enjoy your meals, and you are happy with the results, then you should keep doing that until you're not (if that ever happens). I only initially posted in this thread because no one else had (I was already typing my post when you bumped it yourself) because I hate to see people get no response at all and I wanted to keep it near the front page so more people could see it. I wasn't being critical of your food. I was just adding more than a "non-response" like "bump" or "that's interesting" or whatever else I might post to help keep the thread up where people see it.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bacon slave you are clearly doing the right thing for you. Good work!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that you are losing weight and feeling good. But by your own admission you have cut calories as well. It is impossible for a woman with a 1200 hundred calorie goal to eat 1800 calories worth of meat, butter, and cheese and not get fatter. Sorry but that is reality.

Like I suggested. Read more, talk less.

Reread the part in my post where I talk about why many/most people don't need to restrict calories. Hint: It's not because there's some kind of magic going on that protects them from the impact of CICO. Slow down. Stop making assumptions.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think it is great that you are losing weight and feeling good. But by your own admission you have cut calories as well. It is impossible for a woman with a 1200 hundred calorie goal to eat 1800 calories worth of meat, butter, and cheese and not get fatter. Sorry but that is reality.

If we're talking strictly weight loss, It's not WHAT you eat, but how MUCH. I count every single calorie, and if I stay at or under those I will lose weight no matter what I eat, if I go over I will gain weight. Eating Fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories do.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi Q, I love a good veggie omelette too as I enjoy eating vegetables. You don't need much veg to make an omelette so I'm able to keep within my macros. I usually stick with mushrooms or spinach as they're bother low carb and I toss in a tablespoon of green onions for flavour.

Margarine is a man made food though and has trans fats, which we should avoid. I keep my calories low too right now while I work on losing enough fat around my liver and pancreas to get off the rest of my insulin, but I still find it easy to incorporate healthy fats in my diet, like butter.

Try using a smaller frying pan, you'll have a thicker omelette, but with less surface area to cook on you won't need the same volume of fat. I frequently make a two egg veggie omelette with 1/2 tbsp of butter or even 1 tsp if I'm having other fats with the meal i.e. Bacon, cheese or avocado.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options

If we're talking strictly weight loss, It's not WHAT you eat, but how MUCH. I count every single calorie, and if I stay at or under those I will lose weight, if I go over I will gain weight. Eating Fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories do.

Exactly.

And it's also whatever it takes to keep it sustainable. Which is different for different people. :smile:
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Well said!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

If we're talking strictly weight loss, It's not WHAT you eat, but how MUCH. I count every single calorie, and if I stay at or under those I will lose weight, if I go over I will gain weight. Eating Fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories do.

Exactly.

And it's also whatever it takes to keep it sustainable. Which is different for different people. :smile:

Yep, eating LCHF makes it much easier to stay in a deficit.
  • baconslave
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Exactly.

Yep, eating LCHF makes it much easier to stay in a deficit.

That's the "dirty trick." :wink: For a lot of people, the increase in fat makes the difference in adherence long term.

The best diet is one that gets/keeps you healthy AND is the one you can make your lifestyle, IMO.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    One final work before I head out to the gym, I am not fundamentally opposed to butter if it provides comfort and solace to the folks who use it. However, I do believe that it is a high calorie food choice that could sabotage the caloric goals for many us. It is not a "free food" as Atkins would have us believe and it has virtually no health benefits. If you like it and are able to work it into your caloric goals, great. Most women would prefer something more solid such as a tossed salad with lemon juice, an apple, an egg, or even a fiber-one english muffin than a tablespoon of butter.

If you like what you are doing and are happy with your results, great! Keep doing it. But butter is not bad for you. A food simply being calorie dense doesn't make it bad for you. A food that contains saturated fat is not necessarily bad for you. Butter contains two ingredients : cream and salt (and sometimes not even salt). Your yogurt spread consists of :

purified water, soybean oil, nonfat yogurt* (cultured nonfat milk), palm kernel and palm oil, modified tapioca starch, salt, mono and diglycerides, potassium sorbate (used to protect quality), lactic acid, lecithin (soy), natural flavors, vitamin a palmitate, beta carotene (color).

You're telling me that cream and salt is less healthy than the chem lab concoction in a tub you prefer? We'll have to agree to disagree on that point I suppose. Butter may be more calorie dense, and so yes, you won't be able to eat as much of it without exceeding you calorie limit, BUT you won't want to eat as much of it. (not sure why you keep moving goalposts here - first it was oh this is low calorie, then it was, oh it's free of saturated fat, then it was the strawman of butter isn't a free food, as though anyone had said otherwise, but I digress).

In the absence of carbs (or when they are strictly limited) most people find their appetite is much lower and better regulated. I don't typically bother logging, nor do I pay much attention to calories, but the last couple of weeks I have been, just out of curiosity. I find that while eating butter, bacon, eggs, mayo, pork chops, chicken thighs, and a good deal of cheese (plus moderate amounts of veggies and low sugar fruit) my calories are averaging around 1600-1700 per day. Which is enough for me to lose about a half lb a week (I'm close to goal, so I don't expect to lose faster than that). You spoke of "moderation" (and English muffins). If you are eating a "moderate" amount of carbs, then yes you need to watch calories carefully, usually by limiting fat, if you want to lose weight. It really sounds like you are doing more of a conventional low fat, calorie controlled diet. But then, I don't know what your daily carb limit is. But, hey, like I said if you like what you are doing and are happy with the results, great! Keep doing it. But calling butter unhealthy on a board like this is going to get a pretty negative response; especially when you are sautéing your spinach in margarine. I certainly didn't mean any disrespect in my responses to you (not sure if I was one of the "belligerent" ones you referred to earlier, lol). Good luck in your goals.
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    2 eggs, beaten
    One or Two handfuls of fresh baby spinach
    1/2 tablespoon of brummel and brown low cal yogurt margarine
    non-stick pan

Method;
    1.Heat the margarine in the pan on medium heat until it melts
    2. Add one or two handfuls of baby spinach
    3. Briefly sauté the spinach
    4. Pour your beaten eggs on top of the spinach, and with a spoon make sure the eggs and the spinach are evenly distributed across the pan
    5. Cook for about five minutes or until the eggs become solid
    6. Flip cook at bit more, and serve

......I can't believe it's not butter!! lol couldn't resist I gave up margarine so many years ago, I don't think I could ever go there again =) I will say though, I love spinach in my omelets or scrambled eggs. I even put it in cauli fried rice at the end to just get some veggies in there. YUM
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I am also following a keto diet. Of course everyone is different but I'll share my own experience. I did a low carb/low fat/high protein approach in the past. It worked pretty well for me at the time in terms of weight loss, but I've been much happier with keto (low carb/high fat/adequate protein). I do find I feel less hungry and have fewer carb cravings, plus improvement with stomach problems and achy joints compared to when I did low carb/low fat/high protein.

Also, somewhat similar to @FIT_Goat I've found my body seems to handle LCHF better in terms of weight loss than other ways of eating. In the past I struggled to lose even at 1200 cals/day but on LCHF eating at 1350 cals/day I lost 17 lbs in 12 weeks to get to my original goal weight. In fact when I first started LCHF, I switched only macros, not calories, and started losing weight. Like pp's said, we all have somewhat different approaches and experiment to find what works for us. I do count calories at this point. And I've learned a lot from the links on this group about dietary fat and shifting my mindset to not be afraid of it or avoid it! I've been amazed at how much easier it is to be satisfied on 1350 calories per day eating keto than at 1350 calories per day when my macros were spread more moderately between categories.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    The recipe is low carb. And with all due respect, excrement is all natural but I wouldn't argue for its superiority as a food group.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The recipe is low carb. And with all due respect, excrement is all natural but I wouldn't argue for its superiority as a food group.

Okay, mod hat time.

This is the first and only warning for this thread. Comments such as this tend to be inflammatory, and this isn't the first time it's happened on this thread. I've refrained from putting on my mod hat so far, because what has been said has been *technically* within the rules of the group and the wider community, the veteran members have been handling it fairly well, and because Q is new and I don't like shutting down threads started by new folks, because first impressions. However, the thinly veiled hostility needs to stop. If this happens again, we will shut this thread down.

Q, once again, I encourage you to read the Launch Pad. We have curated a number of articles and research providing the evidence that supports our stance regarding fats. Specifically, check out the post entitled "The Skinny on Fat," which directly addresses this type of topic. Additionally, feel free to repost this recipe in the recipe group and/or on the recipe thread in this group, as it's still a good base from which to draw one's own ideas for a meal or snack.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have posted links to some very credible unbiased research. Some people simply need to lash out. How very sad.

I love the acceptance of this group and our common mission to get healthy. I appreciate you sharing research and everyone being open to different ways of eating that works for others. With so much conflicting media stories it is hard to filter and choose so trial and error plus sharing with each other helps.

Perhaps we may each want to pause n look back on this thread. I have quite a different perception of who is lashing out and being defensive. An interesting area of research is done by biohacker Dave Asprey at www.Bulletproofexec.com plus the launch pad has a lot of great ideas for folk to try. Hope that we each find what works for us like @FIT_Goat has, and are then accepted when sharing that with others rather than criticized for our methods to succesful healthier bodies. Wishing everyone success.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

And you're wondering why you are getting "lashed out" at by "belligerent" people?

You want to eat margarine, I won't try to stop you. You want to eat low fat and low carb simultaneously, while I think that's not sustainable long term, and could have serious health consequences, I won't try to stop you. You say you are eating low carb, but your 1200 cal per day diet includes apples and English muffins, while I might question how "low carb" that could possibly be, I won't argue with you on whatever you want to call your diet - it may very well be lower carb than however you ate before. That said, if you try to say that one food is "healthier" than another, simply because it is lower in calories? No. It doesn't work that way. Calories and quality are two very different things. Without looking up the nutrition info, I'd wager that one Oreo cookie has fewer calories than one tbsp of butter. The butter is far and away healthier. If the 55 cal difference between a tbsp of yogurt margarine spread and a tbsp of butter would put you over your days' calories, do what you feel you must. But I won't be replacing butter with margarine simply so I can eat apples and English muffins any time soon (read - ever). Cutting fat in order to eat more carbs is not exactly what low carb eating is all about. In fact I would say it's the exact opposite of what low carb eating is about.

Fwiw I get the majority of my fuel from fat (around 60% of my intake comes from fat). Because of that I make an effort to eat good quality fats. I try to avoid industrial oils and trains fats. So no, I won't replace a perfectly healthy fat like butter with a heavily processed fat-like substance. Even if it means I have room in my calories for an English muffin.

• fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dragonwolf for intervening. This is nonsense!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    MOD post:
    I don't care for the tone this thread is continuing to take so I'm closing the thread to confer with the other mods.

Perhaps we may each want to pause n look back on this thread. I have quite a different perception of who is lashing out and being defensive.

tlflag1620 wrote: »

And you're wondering why you are getting "lashed out" at by "belligerent" people?

Responding to posts that use thinly-veiled hostility and quoting them and addressing it is just perpetuating drama to me.

It happened. @Dragonwolf warned.
    In the future, I recommend not dignifying hostility with a response to it.

This discussion has been closed.