July check in and chat: barbell-lovin' BAMFs in training

Options

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some heavier dumbbells on craigslist. The heavy ones are so damn expensive.

Can you make some weighted bean/sand bags to put on the ends of the dumbbells? It would at least be a way you can continue to increase without the major cost.

What about looking into dumbbell bars you can use with the plates you already have? That's what I did after I hit 35lbs on the DB. The heavy fixed weight ones are insanely priced. I use standard size DB bars/plates, but I've seen Oly DB bars, too.
  • cpiton
    Options
    Workout B today.
    Squats: 160lbs 3x5
    OHP: 70lbs (4-5-3) :grumble:
    Deadlift: 190lbs 1x5--:smokin: and a PR.
    Those are fantastic numbers! :flowerforyou:

My elbow-less workout:
    Back squat: BW, 45, 80, 95, 115 all 2x5, 135 3x5 (still under construction, but more flexible today)
    Bulgarian Split Squat: 45 3x5 (kept weight low because of balance issues)
    Anderson Squat: 95 1x5 <
    For heaven's sake, that was hard after the other squats and before the 135 back squat.

Ab/Core: Supersets with crunches, heel touchers, alt crunches, leg raises, Janda crunches, tuck crunches, bicycle crunches--3x10-15, except plain vanilla crunches, which were 6x15. Not in that order and not all at the same time.

Hip flexors are much flexier now. :bigsmile: Yay! I may add weight next week and see how it goes. Really want to build my squat up to 185 again.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    We're heading home from our holiday today, so will be back sleeping in our own bed tomorrow night. Yay! I love my bed :love: I have a brand new food baby to deal with, so am really looking forward to picking up my SL program on Tuesday morning. I will see how I go with the loads I used last time (2 weeks ago) and see if I've maintained strength. As its only been a couple of weeks of SL, I doubt there will be any issues... Anyway, a full 10 week term ahead of me to really focus on strength and increasing the weight on the bars. I'm looking forward to seeing how much development there is! I'm also going to try to stop jumping on the scales weekly. I've never really been a daily weigher, but I've noticed over the last few months that I scoff like a mad thing the evening before my designated weigh-in day. I dunno what that's all about! But I want to train myself to focus on increasing weight on the bars and the feeling of my clothes / waist measurement for body size tracking. Wish me luck, I've been focusing on the number on the scales for years now, so it'll take some adjusting!!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    the other one I always misread is 'FTW' ('for the win') which I have stuck in my head as '*kitten* the world' lol!
    [/quote]

I didn't realise until now that FTW wasn't "f'ck the world"! I doubt I'll even remember what the real meaning is... It doesn't stay in my brain unless it involves a rude word! :laugh:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some heavier dumbbells on craigslist. The heavy ones are so damn expensive.

Can you make some weighted bean/sand bags to put on the ends of the dumbbells? It would at least be a way you can continue to increase without the major cost.

That's a good idea. I might not have to, though. I just realized we have a pile of those old plasticky sand-filled weights. I had even bought new dumbbell handles a while back when I was doing P90x. I think I can make some 25 or 30lb ones with what I have.
    What about looking into dumbbell bars you can use with the plates you already have? That's what I did after I hit 35lbs on the DB. The heavy fixed weight ones are insanely priced. I use standard size DB bars/plates, but I've seen Oly DB bars, too.

I looked into that too--they were pretty pricey too as far as I remember. I think I can work with the old crappy ones I have. The dumbbell bars that I bought are just standard size ones that I got at Walmart for about $3 a piece!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

For heaven's sake, that was hard after the other squats and before the 135 back squat.

I had to google this, and I found this page - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/meet-the-squats-7-squat-variations-you-should-be-doing.html. I might add in a few of these on squat day to shake things up. Great core work, too! I'm still sore from doing hanging leg raises the other day!
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Those squat variations look awesome...but I'm still working through my intimidation of using the squat rack amidst a sea of bros at my gym to do regular back squats. Someday...
  • grandmoo
    grandmoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Those squat variations look awesome...but I'm still working through my intimidation of using the squat rack amidst a sea of bros at my gym to do regular back squats. Someday...

The bros at my gym KNOW I have to have a squat rack... :wink: there's only 2 racks and I've always been able to hog one. I only ever see one or two guys doing "real" squats - most of them use the Smith machine and I can see them in the mirror and it makes me cringe! I have been approached a time or two by (different) bros who marvel at the fact that I'm actually squatting (and benching). I occasionally see other women in the weight room, but they are only using the DBs. I have seen ONE other woman using BB and actually squatting at the rack.

My workout this morning (yes, I warmed up with the bar and then smaller plates):

Squats - 100 lbs, 5 x 5 - form was good
    Bench - 80 lbs, 5 x 5 - form was good (glad I didn't miss any this time)
    Rows - 45 lbs, 2 x 5 / 50 lbs, 2 x 5 / 55 lbs, 2 x 5 / 60 lbs, 2 x 5 / 65 lbs, 5 x 5

My form on rows last time sucked donkey balls, so I deloaded to work on it. Everything leading up to 65 lbs started as warmup, but then I decided to keep adding 5 lbs until it felt *just* doable, and 65 lbs was where I landed. Form was good the whole time.

Looking forward to a weekend!!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Better workout today than Wed.

Mental note: don't fast the day before a lifting workout.

Squats: 5x5 at 110 with good form.
    OHP: 5x5 at 75 (deloaded from 80) I just can't seem to progress on this one.
    DL: 1x5 at 190

I'm all noodly now. Limp and tired in a good way.
  • cpiton
    Options

I had to google this, and I found this page - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/meet-the-squats-7-squat-variations-you-should-be-doing.html. I might add in a few of these on squat day to shake things up. Great core work, too! I'm still sore from doing hanging leg raises the other day!

They're tougher than I would have expected. Holy heck, my glutes are feeling it big time this morning. Quads, too, which is unusual for me. Next time I try them, I'm starting at a lower weight. I thought I was warmed up after the other squats, but these are a whole new ballgame.
    That link is how I found them, too. Never heard of Anderson squats, but I'd done all the others in the article so I decided to give them a try.
    I'm sore from my plain old lying down leg raises. The hanging ones are brutal. Can't wait until my elbow is better so I can do them again :bigsmile:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    for once I was grateful that the air con wasn't working as the pall of smoke over the car park alone from the mosque (I'm guessing Ramadan + Friday prayers for some reason = bonfires?!) was ghastly.

Then both racks were in use, so I started with bench. Ironically this meant I hit 3x5 at 37.5kg so yay!

57.5kg squats, these are HARD. I did technically do 3x5 but form isn't 100%.. I'm sure I said last time I should bite the bullet and deload again but I wanna hit 60! only one more workout before enforced rest in Barcelona anyway..

47.25kg Pendlay rows 3x5 new PR yay! this is HARD too though, I can tell ya!

A few assisted pull ups and my HIIT on the bike and I am DONE. :)
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Workout this morning felt so gooood...

Squat 5x5 @ 105 lbs. Working hard on form, but I feel like my knees are coming forward just a leeeeetle bit more than I want. Will stay at 105 for next workout.

Bench: 5x5 @ 65 lbs.

Deadlift: 5x3 (I know....but I love me some deads) @150 lbs. Bruises on my shins to prove it haha.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's Friday night and nobody is here - but. . .

Squeeeeeeeeeeeee! I just did my very first all-the-way-over-the-bar chinup from a dead hang! I'm sure I've blown my OHP tomorrow morning, but I just had to try - and glad I did!

And, holy cow, there is some serious iron getting shredded by you strong women!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Squeeeeeeeeeeeee! I just did my very first all-the-way-over-the-bar chinup from a dead hang! I'm sure I've blown my OHP tomorrow morning, but I just had to try - and glad I did!

I'm here!! This is what I did reading about your awesome chin up!!!!
    funny-gif-crazy-woman-dancing-computer-library.gif

***if you haven't noticed yet, I have a slight addiction to gifs***
  • cpiton
    Options

I'm here! :bigsmile:

Awesome job on the chin-up!!!

My week was thrown off by a couple of unforeseen events, so no Friday lifting. My glutes, hamstrings, and quads are screaming after yesterday's squat-o-rama. I managed a couple minutes of running, but mostly walked fast for my cardio today. I'm not much of a runner anyway, so that's fine. Just wish sitting down wasn't such a chore... :blushing:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Kira you rock! I did some with assistance yesterday but am nowhere near an unassisted one..
  • kirabob
    Options
    Those Anderson squats look killer!

Finished the second week of my second round, at 3x5 today, and it's pretty obvious to me that I need to switch to an intermediate program. Squatting heavy 3 times a week is too much, even at 3x5, I've completely stopped progressing on ohp, and I'm increasing deadlifts only once every other week by 5 pounds. Here's where I fell out this week:

Squats 175
    OHP 70 (down from 75, which was apparently a fluke since I haven't been able to repeat it)
    Deadlift 190
    Bench 107.5
    Row 110

I can't afford to buy any books or programs right now, and our library doesn't have Wendler or the Texas method. . .does this limit me to Madcow? I poked around last night, and while I found 5/3/1 generators online, I'm not sure I trust them. . .any ideas from others in this position?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Finished the second week of my second round, at 3x5 today, and it's pretty obvious to me that I need to switch to an intermediate program.

Based on your numbers and your description, I would agree with your assessment.

Did you read this? It's an article by Rip on the Texas Method. Seems pretty comprehensive to me.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method
  • kirabob
    Options
    Finished the second week of my second round, at 3x5 today, and it's pretty obvious to me that I need to switch to an intermediate program.

Based on your numbers and your description, I would agree with your assessment.

Did you read this? It's an article by Rip on the Texas Method. Seems pretty comprehensive to me.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method

I hadn't read that, being naturally wary of anything on Tnation. But it makes sense - thank you!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I hadn't read that, being naturally wary of anything on Tnation. But it makes sense - thank you!

I can't say I'm a fan of the site overall either, but some of the stuff on there is actually really helpful.