July check in and chat: barbell-lovin' BAMFs in training

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I'm not lifting ATM because I'm on holidays and I can't be bothered finding a gym to go (I'm a bit gym-phobic, so the fact I'm going to one in my work area is cause for celebration!) but I'm walking and cycling lots. Even today, on our lazy day, we walked for about 3 hours (slow pace, but it was still moving!). I miss the lifting and hope it's not too hard to get back in the swing when I return home. The hardest part will be getting put of bed in the freezing cold dark and driving off towards work, but I did it before, and will do it again. Please chase me down if I disappear... I really want to cement this gym / lifting habit, which is why I started before going on holidays. If I'd put it off, I would never have started... Anyway, I just wanted to pop in because I'm still reading you regularly! Ciao :)
    enjoy your vacation! I took about 10 days off, and when I got back to lifting, I have been doing better!! Maybe our bodies need the break occasionally .
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    and I'm going to buy rippetoe's books rather than pay to join his "inner circle"

Good girl. Ripp has it going on! Mehdi is a chauvinistic salesman who is using barbells to look swole and make a buck. Ripp on the other hand trains pro athletes, and has for decades. Who you gonna believe?

Anyhoo ... day 3 of the new program, and squats felt haaaaaard today (excuse me while I sit here and cry about it). I may need to suck up my pride and deload more. Or just do squats every other workout because I got burned out on them last time and don't want that to happen again.

Here's what today's lollapalooza looked like:
    Dumbbell complex 2 rounds (goblet squats, angled push-ups, front/lateral raises, triceps extensions and biceps curls; all x8).
    3x5 squats @ 65
    1x5 deadlifts @ 105
    3x5 OHP @ 45

@zany -- enjoy your holiday!

And the rest of y'all BAMFs -- keep lifting and have yourselves a fabulously strong weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I'm remaining on his mailing list because it's entertaining to see what he comes up with next.

and I'm going to buy rippetoe's books rather than pay to join his "inner circle" - I get the impression that he doesn't want women in there anyway. This group is like a free version, for women, without him lol. some of his advice is dodgy, like telling people to train when they're sick (and I mean below the neck sick like feverish) and berating those who pointed out that this was bad, possibly dangerous advice.

I saw that!
    He's been on a roll with that, "This guy doesn't get it" crap. I understand that he's trying to get people to push through excuses, and you can work out when you're ill (within reason), but he never even mentions that taking your illness to the gym to spread around might be a bad idea. I guess he assumes everyone works out at home.
    I am still waiting for the moment when he acknowledges that women use SLs, too. Not holding my breath.
  • cpiton
    Options
    and I'm going to buy rippetoe's books rather than pay to join his "inner circle"

Good girl. Ripp has it going on! Mehdi is a chauvinistic salesman who is using barbells to look swole and make a buck. Ripp on the other hand trains pro athletes, and has for decades. Who you gonna believe?

Anyhoo ... day 3 of the new program, and squats felt haaaaaard today (excuse me while I sit here and cry about it). I may need to suck up my pride and deload more. Or just do squats every other workout because I got burned out on them last time and don't want that to happen again.

Here's what today's lollapalooza looked like:
    Dumbbell complex 2 rounds (goblet squats, angled push-ups, front/lateral raises, triceps extensions and biceps curls; all x8).
    3x5 squats @ 65
    1x5 deadlifts @ 105
    3x5 OHP @ 45

@zany -- enjoy your holiday!

And the rest of y'all BAMFs -- keep lifting and have yourselves a fabulously strong weekend! :flowerforyou:

I feel ya on the squat deload. My pride took a nice one in the jaw this week after I filmed myself squatting and realized I needed to deload even more than I thought. :grumble:
    Ah well, it will only make us stronger in the long run. I'm in no almighty rush.

What a killer DB complex! Do you do the complex before, during, or after the main lifts?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What a killer DB complex! Do you do the complex before, during, or after the main lifts?

Before. They're my ... uhhh ... cardio warmup. :smile:

LiftingWeightsFaster_zps07374686.jpg
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Another great workout Dani!!

Way to get those #'s up 3foldcord!

No heavy lifting for me today, and good chance that it won't happen tomorrow either. I am pinching/compressing a nerve in my left arm that makes my thumb tingle when (and only when) I fully extend my arm. Today would have been cardio (rowing), core, and chest/back, but I just took time with the foam roller and did some light core work and shoulder mobility. I'll see how it feels in the morning before deciding on squats, deadlifts, and OHP. I think I would be okay with squats, but the deads and OHP need a straight arm so my grip on both would potentially be weaker. If tomorrow is a no-go and I am still having problems Monday I'll go in and get it checked out. Boo.:grumble:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

I tried out several and now I use JEFit and love it.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Hope everyone had a safe happy holiday for my American friends.

Workout B

Squat #75
    OHP #45 5x6 (trying really hard to progress on these)
    DL #115

Again with the frog kicks and those things are serious. Love it!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Bummer Jen - I hope it works its way out!

Just have a minute - visiting the folks in Michigan, and keeping track of the little person is an all-day thing (there is a lake right outside the back door - Little person can swim, but is only 3, so. . .)

B day Wednesday - Squat 155, OHP train wreck 4@75, 5@70, 4@70, Deadlift 195 plus accessory stuff

A day today - Squat 160, Bench 105 3x6, rows 110 plus accessory stuff - including 3 almost-complete dips! Woot!

And because I'm on the road, I am working out at the Y's in the places I am visiting. Wednesday I had someone tell me AGAIN that they had never seen a woman use a barbell, and this morning I had one guy tell me my squats were 'impressive', and then went to find some friends so that they could all watch me through the window. Seriously, it was like I was a zoo animal. Whatever, I ripped it up. :smile:

Great numbers and, more importantly, determination out there ladies!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    And because I'm on the road, I am working out at the Y's in the places I am visiting. Wednesday I had someone tell me AGAIN that they had never seen a woman use a barbell, and this morning I had one guy tell me my squats were 'impressive', and then went to find some friends so that they could all watch me through the window. Seriously, it was like I was a zoo animal. Whatever, I ripped it up. :smile:

You should set up a little stand and charge admission. Tout it as "The Amazing Kira: Strong woman doing proper squats with barbell!" At least you didn't stop and got your lifts in!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

You should set up a little stand and charge admission. Tout it as "The Amazing Kira: Strong woman doing proper squats with barbell!" At least you didn't stop and got your lifts in!

I like this idea. You could treat it as a circus side-show. One at a time can be behind the curtain. It's $3 for the first minute and a $1 a minute past that. You can earn a little vacation spending money! :tongue:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

This is too awesome!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options

LOL You all crack me up!

I like this idea. You could treat it as a circus side-show. One at a time can be behind the curtain. It's $3 for the first minute and a $1 a minute past that. You can earn a little vacation spending money! :tongue:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    go Kira!

well it was super hot at the gym again (air con trips out every 20 mins for some reason..) anyway:

squat stuck at 55kg did 655 as I was working in with a guy (who ended up at 100kg squats!)
    OHP snuck back to 30kg and pushed 555 out, but this is NOT easy
    deadlift did 60x3, 70x3 and 80x5. The difference between 75 last time and 80 is crazy. Still not convinced by my form, I worry I start too low (almost like squatting) but with my height it seems to be the only way to get my shoulders aligned with the bar. Back is fine though, I think form was still ok. Might play around with lower weights and working on form again, though I am desperate to get to 100kg!
  • cpiton
    Options

Lol! I really do like the way you think. :drinker:
  • cpiton
    Options
    B day Wednesday - Squat 155, OHP train wreck 4@75, 5@70, 4@70, Deadlift 195 plus accessory stuff

A day today - Squat 160, Bench 105 3x6, rows 110 plus accessory stuff - including 3 almost-complete dips! Woot!

That's a pretty darn good "train wreck." Great bench, too!

That's too funny. I think I would have been unnerved by everyone watching. :blushing:
    I'm stunned that they've never seen a woman use a barbell. Maybe your lifting awesomeness will have inspired some women there to pick one up!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Exactly. I only downloaded stronglifts because it was free, I can't get rippetoe's book on kindle because they have stupid rules re geographical regions so I'm going to see if my brother in the UK can get it for me instead. But Mehdi's videos were just him doing the workout, not much technical instruction. I;ve only seen the videos of Rippetoe that are free on you tube but Ive learned so much from them they are packed full of really useful info, and so now I want to buy Rippetoe's book and maybe his DVDs as well.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    :laugh: I'm remaining on his mailing list because it's entertaining to see what he comes up with next.

and I'm going to buy rippetoe's books rather than pay to join his "inner circle" - I get the impression that he doesn't want women in there anyway. This group is like a free version, for women, without him lol. some of his advice is dodgy, like telling people to train when they're sick (and I mean below the neck sick like feverish) and berating those who pointed out that this was bad, possibly dangerous advice.

I saw that!
    He's been on a roll with that, "This guy doesn't get it" crap. I understand that he's trying to get people to push through excuses, and you can work out when you're ill (within reason), but he never even mentions that taking your illness to the gym to spread around might be a bad idea. I guess he assumes everyone works out at home.
    I am still waiting for the moment when he acknowledges that women use SLs, too. Not holding my breath.

It's extremely dangerous advice as some strains of the flu virus can affect the heart. If you have a fever, you shouldn't train. I once did when I used to play ice hockey and nearly passed out on the ice mid training session, and I only had a mild fever. The coach, who was totally a "no excuses, skate you till you puke" kind of coach sent me home (rare for him!!) and my temperature had gone from a mild fever to 39 degrees. My mum sent me to the doc who told me off for training when I was sick and said I'd basically made it worse, i.e. it was training that made a mild fever into a severe one, because when you're sick your body doesn't control your temperature in the usual way, so when you get hot from exercise, your body can't control that and you overheat, which is why I nearly passed out.

Also my mum worked (retired now) in the health and safety dept at a major UK university and she told me about the flu virus thing i.e. the virus affects the heart and if you rest properly you wouldn't know anything but if you exercise it can be dangerous. I don't know how common this particular strain of the flu is, but it's not worth risking. But she knows of cases where athletes have died or been hospitalised because of it, due to her job (which is how she knows about it).

I like the below the neck rule because there isn't really any issue training when you have a cold or a mild headache or a bit of a cough, but if you have a fever, chest infection, gastric flu, etc, then really you shouldn't train.

I probably woudln't have much sympathy for Mehdi if he got sued over this though...
  • neandermagnon
    Options

my answer would be "heavy squats is cardio"

it's just as much cardio as sprints are (physiologically speaking)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

This hasn't been my most focused week ever :ohwell: I worked 12 hour days at work Mon-Wed, Wednesday was my 50th birthday (yeah, I survived it! :tongue: ), Thursday we went for a long ride in the mountains. But I did try to get some walks in and finally yesterday I trained.

Squats 85 3X5 (I decided to try mixing in an 80% light day and this was it due to my upcoming schedule,and not having trained since last Saturday. Also, see below.)

OHP 50.5 3X5 Still way under my best and feeling kinda light -- if OHP's ever feel light.

Deadlift 140 1X5 very manageable, I forsee smashing through my 150 plateau pretty easily.

Some "pullup" practice -- jumping up about a foot and falling back down LOL :blushing: I really feel this in my back today.:glasses:

And pretty intense stationary cycle for 45 minutes.

On Thursday I had done some jog/walking, with the jogging totalling about 10 minutes. Gah my hips were sore. So 80% squats seemed like the thing to do. If I want to work in some jogging/running, I need to do it on the days that I lift.

I've been struggling to get my food back in line with what I was doing in May, before we went on our long trip. I just want to keep showing up at the gym while I get my food on track. So, yeah, I showed up. It's all good, I'm grateful that I could do that.