July check in and chat: barbell-lovin' BAMFs in training

Options

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    @ Jstout, yes, please share your core exercises.

I'll start a separate thread tonight!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Mindful core, mindful core=my new mantra. Better than my old one: Suck it in, sister. People are looking. :wink:

I like the OHP, though I constantly fail at it. (Darn you, 75lbs!!) When I get it right, it makes my back feel amazing. It works so many muscles, I think of it as a bargain exercise. You get a whole bunch of muscles worked for the price of one movement. Lol And while that's true of all compound exercises, I particularly notice it with the OHP. :happy:

The key with all these lifts is to tighten up and engage your core muscles and so forth BEFORE you do the movement. Matter of fact, all the preparatory setup and tightening is an integral part of the movement. These are supposed to be whole-body compound lifts, and every muscle counts, as every muscle contributes. Even with the bench press. If you're only engaging your chest and shoulders before you press anything, you're doing it wrong. A stable support system is the key to lifting anything properly, and the key to making progress without injury. Pay attention to spine loading, balance, and stability, all those things (if practiced enough, it only takes a second or two to do a quick mental "check-over"), before you start squatting, pulling or pressing anything. A limp, unengaged muscle that's needed for support, is a really, really great way to get hurt (I still have a twinge in my lower ab muscle to this day as a reminder, that I pulled when I first started lifting, which took months to fully heal and is almost mended, finally).

Preaching to myself here, of course, but you do lift with your mind as much as you do with your body, so these things matter. Greatly. And far more so once you're actually lifting any serious weights. Not so important with 5-pound dumbbells. IMMENSELY important with 100-pound squats.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Finally back to 42.5kg squats after a few weeks down to 37.5kg and working back up. Lower back still says "no more". 40kg is fine, 42.5kg is not. I've added in Good Mornings and I suspect that when I get back to deadlifting (this week? hopefully?) that'll help too - I've been off those for three weeks since I tried out a tweak to form and forgot to curve my back at all. DL more than bodyweight with a flat back is really dumb idea, FWIW. :grumble:

I just seem to struggle to hold the curve with that extra 2.5kg weight, and it's starting to really annoy me, because my legs could do more. Patience, I guess?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

I don't have much to add right now.....but I will be back!

Have a great day :)
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Mindful core, mindful core=my new mantra. Better than my old one: Suck it in, sister. People are looking. :wink:

I like the OHP, though I constantly fail at it. (Darn you, 75lbs!!) When I get it right, it makes my back feel amazing. It works so many muscles, I think of it as a bargain exercise. You get a whole bunch of muscles worked for the price of one movement. Lol And while that's true of all compound exercises, I particularly notice it with the OHP. :happy:

The key with all these lifts is to tighten up and engage your core muscles and so forth BEFORE you do the movement. Matter of fact, all the preparatory setup and tightening is an integral part of the movement. These are supposed to be whole-body compound lifts, and every muscle counts, as every muscle contributes. Even with the bench press. If you're only engaging your chest and shoulders before you press anything, you're doing it wrong. A stable support system is the key to lifting anything properly, and the key to making progress without injury. Pay attention to spine loading, balance, and stability, all those things (if practiced enough, it only takes a second or two to do a quick mental "check-over"), before you start squatting, pulling or pressing anything. A limp, unengaged muscle that's needed for support, is a really, really great way to get hurt (I still have a twinge in my lower ab muscle to this day as a reminder, that I pulled when I first started lifting, which took months to fully heal and is almost mended, finally).

Preaching to myself here, of course, but you do lift with your mind as much as you do with your body, so these things matter. Greatly. And far more so once you're actually lifting any serious weights. Not so important with 5-pound dumbbells. IMMENSELY important with 100-pound squats.

True. It takes me longer to position myself on the bench (press) than it takes to do the lift.

You have a good point about lifting with your mind. As I get into higher weights, I'm leaving my comfort zone and it takes more concentration just to get the weight on my back (or off the floor). I tend to lose track of things that come easily to me on lower lifts. Maybe my mantra should be simpler, like Valsalva, Valsalva, Valsalva. I'm thinking I need a poster in my weight room so I have a visual reminder.

The yoga DVD is pretty tame. About 20 minutes. I usually only go for walks or do treadmill intervals on my active recovery days, but I don't think this will give me any trouble as far as rest. I'll keep an eye out for fatigue. :)

I'll post the ab exercises I do later. Gotta go take care of Grandma now--yikes! I'm late!. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm so glad I found this group :flowerforyou:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I just seem to struggle to hold the curve with that extra 2.5kg weight, and it's starting to really annoy me, because my legs could do more. Patience, I guess?

Yea, be careful there, lady. Spinal health matters greatly, and a busted disk is gonna make you wish you had been more patient and let your core muscles catch up. :flowerforyou:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Finally back to 42.5kg squats after a few weeks down to 37.5kg and working back up. Lower back still says "no more". 40kg is fine, 42.5kg is not. I've added in Good Mornings and I suspect that when I get back to deadlifting (this week? hopefully?) that'll help too - I've been off those for three weeks since I tried out a tweak to form and forgot to curve my back at all. DL more than bodyweight with a flat back is really dumb idea, FWIW. :grumble:

Or fractionals. When I'm close to my limit, I only increase squats by 2 pounds each time -- 1 Kilo.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Or fractionals. When I'm close to my limit, I only increase squats by 2 pounds each time -- 1 Kilo.

Oh, doh! I have fractionals. I bought them for OHP and bench, but they do of course work with squats too.

Thanks ladies!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Ha well I was going to go to fractionals on squats but while I was warming up the new trainer came over and introduced himself. well he didn't he said 'it's great to see girls over here squatting with proper heavy weights' and I said 'and great form of course' and commented what a great trainer youtube was! lol.. anyway turns out he's a powerlifter so might have to save some pennies for another bench fixing session..

so all fired up from that I thought s0d it, and went to 55kg squats and did 666. then I was going to use fractionals on bench but it all felt as though it was coming together better (even using my legs finally!) so went to 35kg not the 34 I was going to 3x5.

pendlays were 42.5kg and bashed them out just fine too 3x5..

all in all feeling quite BAMF today! :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    :::Doing the Happy Dance ::: I went UP in weight on all three lifts today! Hit all three StrongLift goals! Never done that with all three lifts before!

Session A
    Squats 65# ( up from 60)
    Bench Press 60# ( up from 55)
    Barbell Row 62# ( up from 57)

SUPER HAPPY!!
  • jstout365
    Options
    lwood - I think Sara in the ETP group said that if done properly, the bench press should be the most uncomfortable lift you do. After watching some of the "so you think you can bench press" videos on youtube and changing my form up a little, I totally get that. My legs are tired after benching. Congrats on some BAMF lifts today!

Squat/bench day today for me.

Squat 1x5 @ 105, 115 then did 3 sets @ 125 for 4, 5, 3 - I missed the last rep on the first set so I wanted to get the extra work in. I think I wasn't as focused as I should have been.
    Bench 3x5 @ 105

Then I did 2 sets of 15 inverted rows and 20 standing resistance band flys. I ended with 2 sets of 10 each side 16 kg bent over kb rows.
  • jstout365
    Options
    :::Doing the Happy Dance ::: I went UP in weight on all three lifts today! Hit all three StrongLift goals! Never done that with all three lifts before!

Congrats!!! Doing the happy dance with you!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    lwood - I think Sara in the ETP group said that if done properly, the bench press should be the most uncomfortable lift you do. After watching some of the "so you think you can bench press" videos on youtube and changing my form up a little, I totally get that. My legs are tired after benching. Congrats on some BAMF lifts today!

Squat/bench day today for me.

Squat 1x5 @ 105, 115 then did 3 sets @ 125 for 4, 5, 3 - I missed the last rep on the first set so I wanted to get the extra work in. I think I wasn't as focused as I should have been.
    Bench 3x5 @ 105

Then I did 2 sets of 15 inverted rows and 20 standing resistance band flys. I ended with 2 sets of 10 each side 16 kg bent over kb rows.

I'll have to check out those videos. They are not my hardest, but not my easiest, either, I am sure I can use some form improvement.

Nice weight amounts!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Funny you ladies are talking about the bench press today because I actually switched up my day 2 on the new routine to include it basically because it because clear (thank you Tameko) that my form was not right.....I thought about it....asked my BMFF in real life and he agreed that I have not been doing it right so I decided that I needed to add the BP back in because I would need to deload back to bar to work on the form:

Original Day 2:
    1. Push-up
    2a. Suspended push-up
    2b. Inverted row

New Day 2:
    1. BP
    2a. Push-up
    2b. Bent over barbell row.

So I did the deload this morning....all the way back to the bar and yeah, I have been doing it wrong all these months which really sucks, but maybe that's the reason my shoulders are looking so sexy :laugh: Anyway, back at it and I think between the BP and push-ups, I should be back up and running at proper weight in no time!

I also changed the row from inverted to bent over barbell simply because I was spending more time worrying if my form was right on the inverted row than anything else, so I was feeling like the exercise was not horribly effective.

Love the changes :smile:

ETA:

I just read this article and found it to be yet another reminder of why it's important to focus on the process and that if you do that, the rest will fall into place. It's also another reminder to EAT THE FOODZ :wink:

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2012/11/5-exercises-focus-and-follow-through-advice-for-the-lifter-who-hasnt-made-much-progress/
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just read this article and found it to be yet another reminder of why it's important to focus on the process and that if you do that, the rest will fall into place. It's also another reminder to EAT THE FOODZ :wink:

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2012/11/5-exercises-focus-and-follow-through-advice-for-the-lifter-who-hasnt-made-much-progress/

That was an interesting article, thanks for posting. :flowerforyou:
    I especially loved this quote:
    “When you focus on the process, the desired product takes care of itself with fluid ease. When you focus on the product, you immediately begin to fight yourself and experience boredom, restlessness, frustration, and impatience with the process.”

So true.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Started this of a fashion today. 45kg sounded an awful lot though and I was a little worried I might end up squished under a par at the gym so I used dumbells to work out - 10kg in each hand and worked all the way through exercise A. I had a feel of a bar before I left though and I reckon between the squat being on my back and the bar being a bit more stable than dumbells I can do the next time with the bar. Looking forward to it already!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    welcome Roxy, it's 20kg or 45lb (the empty Olympic bar) to start with. Those yanks and their imperial measurements lol! Well done for beginning :)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh my - I saw the 45 and thought kg - I worked out at 2 10kg dumbells today so yes I can do this! I even tried a coulple at 12 but the bells were too heavy and wobbly for me to keep in place as I squatted. And ok so it was with dumbells but today I made my first ever assault on a bench press :D
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Little whine: My mother. I am very close with her and we talk every day, and I'm always really excited to tell her when I hit a new PR. Her response every time? "You're going to hurt yourself!" No matter how many times I reassure her that I've been shown the proper form, I don't go past what I can do (meaning if I start a lift and I can feel that it's not going to happen, I stop) and that I work up to each new weight, she's convinced I'm going to throw my back out or something. Keep in mind that I've been a horseback rider for YEARS and that's way more dangerous (barbells don't kick or actively try to throw you into the dirt) and I'm in vet school which means I spend a lot of time trying to do unpleasant procedures to large animals with bad attitudes. But she thinks it's the weight lifting that's going to hurt me. /end whine
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to charge my Kindle today and then download the 5/3/1 book. I'll read it over the weekend, and then probably make the switch from SL to 5/3/1 on Monday. I'm starting to not look forward to the routine of SL. I still love lifting and progressing, but I need a change. And I definitely need to add in some of the Crazy Core Lady's moves.

This morning - Squats 3x5@150 (really looking forward to not having to do squats every workout)
    OHP - 1x5@ 55, 65, 75, 85 and finally made all 5 reps at 90 :bigsmile:
    DL - 1x8 (yes 8) at 185. Deloaded from 200 and just wanted to see how many I could do.

Then some 35 lb plate swings, some lateral raises with barbie weights to try and strengthen my shoulder without irritating it, some hanging knee lifts.