Participant Updates

Options

Replies

• margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    hello everyone, well today was a lot of fun, grandchildren kept me busy.. the only tip I can give any one is,,, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!!! drink lots of flavoured water if you can not handle plain. my mini challenge this week is easy, out side for 30 min walk, every day, no matter what !!:wink::flowerforyou:
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great Challenge - Thanks for doing this!

I have another "mini challenge" I am going to try to do. I am not going to go to a Buffet Restaurant in July. I have not been able to do this for 20 years so this will be a great "side challenge"

---

I guarantee you - If I go to a Golden Corral (I call it "The Trough") or one of the many Chinese Buffets - I will have to leave the challenge!

Good luck Everyone
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Evening All (well it is in the UK at least)

I've lowered my calorie goal today, it was set at 1700 and eating back exercise cals if I wanted too. I'm doing the 5;2 diet so two days a week I eat 500 cals (normally Sat and either Tue or Wed). Anyway I lowered it too 1460 and still eating exercise cals back, if I do hit a wall in my runs (1/2 marathon training) I'll up it a little, but as my goal for 1st & 2nd were higher, it now looks like I was in the red for the 1st but I wasn't as my goal was 1700+ exercise cals.

I've been for a run today and done day 3 of the shred, I'll log my 3rd when the new thread is created!
  • Solimama
    Solimama Posts: 5
    Options
    Date: 7/3
    Exercised?: Yes
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that everyone is doing well so far. Stay focused - we can do this !!
  • Hisgrace00
    Hisgrace00 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm super excited I lost my first 5lbs since I started my weight loss plan last Wed.! Also loss inches in almost all measurements!! :flowerforyou:
  • whitneysmomma
    whitneysmomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Doing great. A week and a half into hip hop abs. Doing great w/food tracking. Not eating the healthiest of foods, but I plan on changing that tomorrow. Did some meal planning, so I'll go with that :)
  • margieparkins
    Options
    had a great day in the city, had the angus meal at macdonalds, don't feel guilty, was amazed how full it made me. still managed to stay under, looking forward to my 500 day tomorrow. how are you all doing?:wink:
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Irritated that my local grocery store has apparently stopped carrying soy yogurt. Guess I'll go back to buying almond milk for my cereal.

@Turnaround Haha, I find it almost impossible to be moderate at buffets, too. My personal downfall is Indian restaurants that have them!
  • gg177
    gg177 Posts: 35
    Options
    This challenge is working out pretty good for me. On my own I always skip a day,(or weeks), and this way I can't hide a bad day. So far I'm following the Eat to Live nutritarian way of eating by Dr. Furhman, and I have lost 7lbs and my energy level has gone nuts, and all the bloating went away. Have started trying to run, and have been doing yoga, or whatever you'd call what I am doing thats supposed to be yoga. :)
  • Turnaround2012
    Options
    July 4th, 2013

This is a great challenge - everybody is helping each other out!

I read a suggestion from @moneil25:

"Does anyone else have any tips or tricks that helps them to stay on track and motivated? Your tips might be a great help to someone else."

Here is what has helped me out as I take small steps to health

Quotes / Slogans / Beliefs

"Eat enough to fuel your workouts" - This!

"This is a lifestyle not a diet" - I tell myself this every day.

"Slow and steady wins the race" - I read success stories all the time and they are about permanent, sustainable changes made by individuals who had realistic expectations.

"Muscle is denser than fat - a lb of muscle will take up less space than a lb of fat"

"Don't get caught in one exercise - mix it up: walking / weights / HIIT / running / Insanity / swimming etc. etc. etc."

Measure your progress in as many ways as possible

in no particular order..

Inches - lost or gained
    Pictures
    Physical challenges - how many pushups in 30 minutes, how fast to run a mile
    Resting Pulse Rate
    Learn to use a Heart Rate Monitor properly
    Get a fitbit, Nike Fuelband, etc. etc. etc.
    Learn different ways to measure bodyfat
    Go to doctor and check Blood Pressure, Cholesterol etc.
    Find a pair of pants that you can't get into now and try them on every day.

The scale - don't freak out if you have big weight fluctuations, it is what it is.

Good scale tip - If you measure every day - take a 10 day running average of your weight, make a new item to track in MFP, and watch "real progress"

Staying on track

I plan my days. If I know that I am going to a barbeque, I make sure that I plan accordingly and exercise enough so that I can enjoy it.

Do the research and find out how many calories you really need to eat and stick to the plan. I used to literally try to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. It would work for three days, then I would yo-yo and gain it all back. Plus, I never had any energy to workout! Now I am slowly losing weight eating 1900-2100 calorie days per day non lifting days. I am 5'7", 191 lbs, 30% bf, and trying to get to 15% bodyfat.

Here are some things I have learned on MFP which have helped me:

-- I read and I learn gradually - long way to go!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1016017-help-with-tdee-bmr-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1035594-explain-why-weights-please

And Finally ----

I personally feel that if I did not lose any inches, lose any weight, did not get stronger.. I would still eat with this new lifestyle and exercise like I do just for the way it makes me feel!

And... it is "your" journey, not anyone else's - you know what is best for you!
  • Turnaround2012
    Options
    @Gorman

I forgot Indian Buffets - Epic!
  • Hisgrace00
    Hisgrace00 Posts: 17
    Options
    Guys I'm so excited to report I kep within my calorie goal today! Normally holidays is a excuse to pig out but this a first and I am so proud of me!! Yay!! :flowerforyou:
  • moneil25
    moneil25 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Savedbygrace2 congratulations for keeping in control. We all know how easy it is to make excuses, or maybe without even realizing what we are doing, we over eat because there is an abundance of food . You have just shown your strength and commitment
  • KLWelty
    KLWelty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Did everyone survive 4th of July? Nashville fireworks show was awesome this year, despite the rain we had here.
  • margieparkins
    Options
    nice to hear that so many are doing great. we all have our ups and downs. nice to know that someone is always on hear to listen to the highs and lows. my fasting day was great, finally found something that is easy for me. keep up the great work and commitment.:smile::wink: :drinker:
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Great to be part of this community.

Turnaround: Thanks for the resume; very well put.
  • Turnaround2012
    Options
    @savedbygrace2
    Guys I'm so excited to report I kep within my calorie goal today! Normally holidays is a excuse to pig out but this a first and I am so proud of me!! Yay!! :flowerforyou:

Awesome! - This is real power - Congratulations!

@juliste
    Thanks - This is a great supportive challenge!
  • KLWelty
    KLWelty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I survived July 4th!!! My next challenge is to survive a trip home (5 hour drive by car) alone with my kids to see my family real quick before I go back to work Monday. So, after I check in tonight, I will check in for Sat and Sun on my return Sunday night.

I've already purchased bottled water because the water back home is not good drinking water. I have Clif's Builder Bars, unsalted peanuts and grapes for back up. I know which two meals we will eat out with family, and have already decided what I will have. The only meals I have not planned are meal times I will likely be on the road, and I think that is when I'll call on the protein bars, peanuts and grapes, but I'm going to look up grilled chicken sandwiches and salads at places I'll have at my disposal along my route so I'll know what to order if we decide to stop for lunch. I'm going to keep a paper log with me, and I'm going to stick to my plan!!!

I figure loading and unloading luggage into and out of the van will knock out about 10 minutes of exercise each day, but I plan to try to get a minimum of 20 minutes, hoping more like 30 before I leave in the morning........and I will do 20-30 minimum when I get home Sunday. I'm also going to challenge myself to fit in a walk around the park whlle the kids are playing back home to offset the 10 total hours of sitting in the van for the trip.............I might even throw in some jumping jacks, lunges and/or dance moves too!!!

My plan is to input it all into my diary on my return Sunday night and post both days to the group! I plan to survive this trip and still be a member of this group come Monday morning when I report to work! :)

Wish me luck!!!!
  • armywf07
    armywf07 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Amen to being proud of not over eating on a holiday. I did very good too, most the food was healthy.