Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Ok. Not exactly "misinformation" but close enough:

Domino Foods, Inc. Named National Strategic Partner of American Diabetes Association
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/domino-foods-inc-named-national-strategic-partner-of-american-diabetes-association-187010731.html

insert eye-roll here
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Domino Foods, Inc. Named National Strategic Partner of American Diabetes Association
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/domino-foods-inc-named-national-strategic-partner-of-american-diabetes-association-187010731.html

insert eye-roll here

I'll see your eye-roll and raise you a bucket of sick-up!
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options

insert eye-roll here

Oh, but it is heart healthy!!!

• RalfLott
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »

insert eye-roll here

Oh, but it is heart healthy!!!

I suppose it depends on what sort of abomination I had for dinner...

If there were Domino Foods products involved, it could be pretty heart healthy, if gruesome, to yak it up.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I'm in for the Dilithium crystals. Serious fan of the original shows (I own a full set of the old VHS videos.)
    a44191750ba32fe619b710a24ca677e7.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss I'm in for the Dilithium crystals. Serious fan of the original shows (I own a full set of the old VHS videos.)
    a44191750ba32fe619b710a24ca677e7.jpg

@canadjineh Heeheehee... I was wondering if anyone actually caught that. I have nearly all TOS movies. I grew up on the reruns long before TNG, but that was a family affair when I was a teen. LOL I was pleasantly surprised at how much I've enjoy the reboot, though devastated at the loss of Mr. Yelchin.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I found some Darwin Award material in the book Think Like A Pancreas.. ....

Wow! That's so goofy it sounds like April Fool's Day material at a LC talent show.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The book description says, " free of medical jargon." Apparently, they have confused the word "facts" with the word "jargon."

Well put!

I'm trying to keep an open mind - maybe not every pancreas thinks like the one next door...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    November 15 is National Healthy Lunch Day here in the US. I know you guys all wanna get all your healthy whole grains and low fat yogurt so you can participate and be healthy. Cuz I guess full fat dairy and cheese is actually to blame for high blood sugar. Woah! I didn't know something that didn't have any affect on blood sugar was the problem! Thanks ADA for clearing that up for us!
    http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/wellness-lives-here/mission-engagement-days/nhl/nhl-celebrate.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_content=download-resources-btn&utm_campaign=NHLD

Here are some tips for you guys cuz I know you all want to eat "healthy" :wink:
    yxj5h6bpnuaa.jpg
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Hey guys!
    November 15 is National Healthy Lunch Day here in the US. I know you guys all wanna get all your healthy whole grains and low fat yogurt so you can participate and be healthy. Cuz I guess full fat dairy and cheese is actually to blame for high blood sugar. Woah! I didn't know something that didn't have any affect on blood sugar was the problem! Thanks ADA for clearing that up for us!
    http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/wellness-lives-here/mission-engagement-days/nhl/nhl-celebrate.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_content=download-resources-btn&utm_campaign=NHLD

yxj5h6bpnuaa.jpg

They got a couple items right. On #4, grilled is better just because most of the time with restaurants fried means breaded or battered to the point that there is less meat than coating. Number 8 in that we don't want to drink sugar. And finally, #5 is half right with the lettuce wrap part. So if my math is correct, they got 2.5 out of 8, hmmm, that would be a grade of 31. Looks like a big fat F. And I think I was being pretty generous with my grading.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hey guys!

yxj5h6bpnuaa.jpg

They got a couple items right. On #4, grilled is better just because most of the time with restaurants fried means breaded or battered to the point that there is less meat than coating. Number 8 in that we don't want to drink sugar. And finally, #5 is half right with the lettuce wrap part. So if my math is correct, they got 2.5 out of 8, hmmm, that would be a grade of 31. Looks like a big fat F. And I think I was being pretty generous with my grading.

But did they get them right for the right reasons? I think they recommend grilled over fried to reduce fat, not breading.
    I think they recommend diet drinks over regular because of calories not carbs, same with the lettuce wrap.

• cstehansen
    Options
    Hey guys!

yxj5h6bpnuaa.jpg

But did they get them right for the right reasons? I think they recommend grilled over fried to reduce fat, not breading.
    I think they recommend diet drinks over regular because of calories not carbs, same with the lettuce wrap.

That is what I meant about being generous in my grading.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Here's another lame entrant:
    The causes of diabetes are complex and still not fully known. Sometimes diabetes is triggered by genetics, illness, being overweight or simply getting older. Although food doesn't cause diabetes, it is part of the strategy for managing the disease.*
    I suppose one could make the hypertechnical argument that "food doesn't cause diabetes" on account of it's actually the acts of shoving bad food into our mouths and swallowing it that does the trick. But really......

*Courtesy, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
    http://www.eatright.org/resource/health/diseases-and-conditions/diabetes/diabetes-an-overview

Type 1 is caused by genetics (HLA genes on chromosome 6) and a trigger for the auto-immune response (you need both).

There is a rare version of type 2 with a different pathway that is known to be caused by genetics. For nearly everyone else with type 2 (98% or more of those properly diagnosed as type 2... but that is a different rant), the genetic links are really loose. If you read through those studies trying to suggest type 2 is genetic, the argument always boils down to where some variants of some genes make weight management more difficult for some people. The argument then becomes that a gene causes type 2 diabetes when the reality is that it creates a challenge to weight control, and being overweight results in type 2 diabetes... along with other medical issues.

IMO, nobody should suggest that type 2 is genetic unless they can actually identify a specific gene in common among the 98% with an IR pathway. And even then, additional research should still be pursued to explain how that gene causes type 2. But the reality is that nearly all type 2's are just overweight (even if they won't acknowledge, even to themselves, that they are overweight... that is another discussion, though).

I wonder ... my Dad (now deceased from diabetes related complications) was one of 9 siblings. Every single one of them developed type 2 diabetes - despite different eating, different weigh, different lifestyles and activity levels, low carb, high carb, low fat, vegan, you name it - they all differ greatly. And now, the oldest of my generation (my cousins are getting towards 50) they are also developing type two diabetes. I was shocked to learn the other week that my female cousin now has diabetes despite having always been fit, and slender and eating a healthy diet. This family history is the main reason I eat Keto - watching my Dad die slowly for 20 years was terrifying - but I'm more than a little convinced that I will develop diabetes anyway. Not genetic? I disagree.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Here's another lame entrant:
    The causes of diabetes are complex and still not fully known. Sometimes diabetes is triggered by genetics, illness, being overweight or simply getting older. Although food doesn't cause diabetes, it is part of the strategy for managing the disease.*
    I suppose one could make the hypertechnical argument that "food doesn't cause diabetes" on account of it's actually the acts of shoving bad food into our mouths and swallowing it that does the trick. But really......

*Courtesy, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
    http://www.eatright.org/resource/health/diseases-and-conditions/diabetes/diabetes-an-overview

Type 1 is caused by genetics (HLA genes on chromosome 6) and a trigger for the auto-immune response (you need both).

There is a rare version of type 2 with a different pathway that is known to be caused by genetics. For nearly everyone else with type 2 (98% or more of those properly diagnosed as type 2... but that is a different rant), the genetic links are really loose. If you read through those studies trying to suggest type 2 is genetic, the argument always boils down to where some variants of some genes make weight management more difficult for some people. The argument then becomes that a gene causes type 2 diabetes when the reality is that it creates a challenge to weight control, and being overweight results in type 2 diabetes... along with other medical issues.

IMO, nobody should suggest that type 2 is genetic unless they can actually identify a specific gene in common among the 98% with an IR pathway. And even then, additional research should still be pursued to explain how that gene causes type 2. But the reality is that nearly all type 2's are just overweight (even if they won't acknowledge, even to themselves, that they are overweight... that is another discussion, though).

I wonder ... my Dad (now deceased from diabetes related complications) was one of 9 siblings. Every single one of them developed type 2 diabetes - despite different eating, different weigh, different lifestyles and activity levels, low carb, high carb, low fat, vegan, you name it - they all differ greatly. And now, the oldest of my generation (my cousins are getting towards 50) they are also developing type two diabetes. I was shocked to learn the other week that my female cousin now has diabetes despite having always been fit, and slender and eating a healthy diet. This family history is the main reason I eat Keto - watching my Dad die slowly for 20 years was terrifying - but I'm more than a little convinced that I will develop diabetes anyway. Not genetic? I disagree.

There is anecdotal evidence, but are you aware of any actual genes identified that cause type 2? Sure, there are various genes known to create various challenges to maintaining a healthy weight... those are often blamed for causing type 2 diabetes, but that is not quite how it works. If you know of a specific gene that has been identified, I am open to hearing about it. Forgive me if the "X was thin and got type 2" line isn't convincing... I've heard it more times than I can count, about people ranging from 15 lbs. overweight to 300 lbs. overweight (yes, a 400+ lb. person really made that argument). Only once can I recall hearing that line about someone who wasn't at least heavy enough for it to make a difference. In that case, there were other (non-genetic) unusual factors to explain type 2 despite being slim.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Considering it's the insulin resistance that makes a person get fat, couldn't we argue that most people that technically have unseen symptoms of developing diabetes are not heavy, at least in the beginning? Sure there are those that get fat from the old standard explanation of just eating too much. But there are marathon runners surprised with T2D diagnoses because they aren't fat. It's really the fatty liver that starts that ball rolling. The fat doesn't have to become so apparent outwardly before the condition exists since it's the cause of the excessive storage of fat in the first place.
    And we all know that eating a "healthy diet" by traditional standards is no way to prevent diabetes. So the fact that anyone got it even though they were thin and ate that "healthy diet" is absolutely no surprise to me. I ate a very healthy diet by traditional definitions prior to keto... ya know except for all that candy binge eating that absolutely no one knew about. I wouldn't dare let anyone know. So if I had ended up with T2D, I would've been about 35-40 pounds overweight and everyone would think I ate a very "healthy diet".
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Considering it's the insulin resistance that makes a person get fat, couldn't we argue that most people that technically have unseen symptoms of developing diabetes are not heavy, at least in the beginning? Sure there are those that get fat from the old standard explanation of just eating too much. But there are marathon runners surprised with T2D diagnoses because they aren't fat. It's really the fatty liver that starts that ball rolling. The fat doesn't have to become so apparent outwardly before the condition exists since it's the cause of the excessive storage of fat in the first place.
    And we all know that eating a "healthy diet" by traditional standards is no way to prevent diabetes. So the fact that anyone got it even though they were thin and ate that "healthy diet" is absolutely no surprise to me. I ate a very healthy diet by traditional definitions prior to keto... ya know except for all that candy binge eating that absolutely no one knew about. I wouldn't dare let anyone know. So if I had ended up with T2D, I would've been about 35-40 pounds overweight and everyone would think I ate a very "healthy diet".

There are some genetic components that affect how well we process different macros (particularly carbs based on genetic factors that affect amylase). Still an indirect genetic factor... genetics affect production of a digestive enzyme that affects speed of carb conversion, which then affects BG. Even a small amount of extra fat could result in IR, but this is still not a direct genetic cause of type 2. We might perceive someone as being thin when they truly have 15 lbs. extra weight. A small enough amount to overlook, but with someone who is carb sensitive due to genetic factors, I can see how that could lead to type 2.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    There's an interesting series now on Dutch television. In it, they do a diet intervention with 6 people who are either pre-diabetic, or have type 2 in a dangerous stage (kidney damage). Basically, what they do is put them on a low carb diet and get them to move a bit more (cycling instead of car for errands etc). In almost all cases, blood glucose was within normal parameters within a few weeks of intervention and other markers started to improve as well. To my knowledge, this is the first time something like this is shown here on TV and prime time too. Before the intervention, their diabetes was managed with drugs, one guy was heavily insulin dependent. Refreshing and impressive, so, some things are changing, maybe.

Great, thanks for the info.
    Do you happen to know the name of the series or the lead researcher's name?

FYI, Dr. Sarah Hallberg is conducting a similar study on a larger scale at Indiana U. It will be interesting to see how it's covered once the results are announced.