What Happens When You Eat Nothing But Bacon for 30 Days Straight?

Options

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Suicide. That's what would happen (to me).

I'll never get what it is that makes people love bacon. I eat it now and then for breakfast, the same way others eat vegetables they don't like, "because it's healthy". It's better than medication, but that's as far as I'll go.

I'm feeling really low today and depressed. One and a half year into this, 92lbs lost, huge health benefits and all I wanted was to find something I could eat that I would love to eat and not be bad for my health. Even chocolate no longer fits, now that I can eat it I almost never want it. I've been eating close to zero carbs to try to get control of my mind but all I crave is a big basket with all the fruit in the world.

Sorry for the rant, glad someone enjoys their bacon.

::flowerforyou::
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Suicide. That's what would happen (to me).

I'll never get what it is that makes people love bacon. I eat it now and then for breakfast, the same way others eat vegetables they don't like, "because it's healthy". It's better than medication, but that's as far as I'll go.

I'm feeling really low today and depressed. One and a half year into this, 92lbs lost, huge health benefits and all I wanted was to find something I could eat that I would love to eat and not be bad for my health. Even chocolate no longer fits, now that I can eat it I almost never want it. I've been eating close to zero carbs to try to get control of my mind but all I crave is a big basket with all the fruit in the world.

Sorry for the rant, glad someone enjoys their bacon.

::flowerforyou::

I completely understand. After a week of having my diet thrown into chaos from stress, with all of my health indicators thrown as far out of whack as a carb binge would have sent them, I've been craving a treat too. I tried a Quest Cravings Peanut Butter cup, which was my old LCHF treat and I found it very unappealing. So, I've decided to have a veggie binge LOL. I need a break from my meat & cheese fest, plus I'm not feeling so well, so I've bumped my carbs up for a few days, though still under 50 total, but enough so that I can have some Thai soup and some chicken curry. I figured if I'm going to have to up my insulin injections, I may as well enjoy some vegetables for a few days. Back to bacon later this week!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Ladies, whomever has the LOVE of bacon, anyone willing to do a week or month experiment on behalf of the rest of us eager learners? I find sometimes experiments on men do not have the same results with women. Hormones, I guess. I am traveling a lot in next 2 months so not practical for me to do a month. I love bacon but not more than 2 day to max a week worth! So... any bacon loving volunteers for a month? Alternately I am happy to do a bacon week as a fun team event. mmmmmmm bacon

I'm game! Kind of LOL. I like @Time2LoseWeightNOW 's pork belly suggestion. I like bacon, but do get tired of it pretty quickly. I would be down for 1-2 weeks of bacon + one fried egg for breakfast (in bacon fat) and a slab of pork belly w/ crackling for dinner and if I can make it two weeks, I'll see if I can push it further.

21 March sounds good, I'm a bit of a mess right now - blood sugar, electrolytes and digestion are all thrown off after a high stress week, so that will give me enough time to get back to a solid baseline.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do that much bacon. A little is ok for me. What I'm really craving is homemade chicken soup. With carrots. (I'm a wild woman!). I have a nasty chest cold and I think a nice soup with home made broth and lots of garlic and onions and a bit of cayenne and sage would taste really good. I have some goose fat saved from Christmas to sauté the veggies in.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I could probably hold off until the 21st, so we could have 2-3 people doing it at the same time. One with bacon+egg, one woman with hamburger, and one man with hamburger. I think self-experiments rarely provide completely accurate information for anyone but the person or people in them. I know my own body reacts slightly differently than others might.

That said, the difference between men and women, with these sorts of things, tends to be more pronounced. I would be interested in seeing what happens. It would also be cool if everyone had a decent idea of their TDEE. I know mine from having a very detailed log of what I eat to remain weight stable. It also found a calculation that does a decent job (not TDEE, but age/weight/gender based) for predicting it for me. Both of those put my TDEE around 2,800 eating this way. Knowing if there is a deficit, and how big it is, might help compare the results.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I could probably hold off until the 21st, so we could have 2-3 people doing it at the same time. One with bacon+egg, one woman with hamburger, and one man with hamburger. I think self-experiments rarely provide completely accurate information for anyone but the person or people in them. I know my own body reacts slightly differently than others might.

That said, the difference between men and women, with these sorts of things, tends to be more pronounced. I would be interested in seeing what happens. It would also be cool if everyone had a decent idea of their TDEE. I know mine from having a very detailed log of what I eat to remain weight stable. It also found a calculation that does a decent job (not TDEE, but age/weight/gender based) for predicting it for me. Both of those put my TDEE around 2,800 eating this way. Knowing if there is a deficit, and how big it is, might help compare the results.

I like the peer pressure of doing self-experimentation with a group :smile: It's more likely to encourage me to push my experiment on long enough to provide me with some worthwhile information.

I'm a long way from maintenance mode, so I don't have quantifiable information (only approximations based on various calculators) as to what I would need to eat to neither gain nor lose. However, I've been very consistent with my diet for the last 2.5 months and know the affect of my current way of eating (calories & macros) on my body with weight, blood glucose and blood pressure as the indicators I measure daily. And I have a fitbit on the way, so I'll be able to track additional measures and will have a better idea as to how it affects my energy levels.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the salt that makes bacon so good. :) The smell of flying bacon is awesome to me as well.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I could absolutely do that! No joke! I love bacon!

I loved bacon too, until I ate it about 5x in a week..... then I had to have a break from it.

• moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    :) The smell of flying bacon is awesome to me as well.

Had to laugh at that typo *flying bacon* = "when pigs fly". B)

@FIT_Goat - I might try the ground beef experiment as well to see if I lose weight.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I went to the TDEE calculator (I've done it before, but wanted numbers based on where I am now), and I'm at 2250 calories a day.

Maybe we should begin a new thread?

Another thought? I return from my trip on the twentieth. I only plan to indulge in some alcohol since higher carb food makes me hurt, but I'm sure the alcohol will have some effect on the scale when I return. So, will I have an accurate weight to begin with? Am I over thinking it? Would this make a difference? Just thoughts!?!
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Which website do you use for the TDEE calculator?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know how to clean that up! Lol!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If it would work with cheese, I could do it.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    :smiley:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't last one day. I like bacon, but no. For me a day without vegetables would be too hard.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

I like that that site gives weekly calories. I think I might have been a calorie counter if there were apps that let you do a weekly count. It never made sense to me to think of life in 24 hour resets.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't last one day. I like bacon, but no. For me a day without vegetables would be too hard.

Doing keto has been the first time in my life that I've craved vegetables every day.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Am I the only one that hates cooking bacon? Tedious to cook especially if you're making a lot, then you eat the first batch while you're cooking the second .. Or that could be just me :)

It's so much easier to bake it on a pan in the oven.

I agree! I just baked two packages last night in the oven.