What Happens When You Eat Nothing But Bacon for 30 Days Straight?

Options

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I can't hardly eat Bacon cooked on the BBQ grill. Its tastes so good, I want to eat the whole package in one setting.

I'm spoiled now, I hardly ever will cook it any other way.

Dan
    36plmg0tdyf4.jpeg

I am beyond in love with bacon but have never had it cooked in a Bbq grill, now wondering what I'm missing. OTOH, not sure it could get better than "oven baked" ..... btw, I'm too new to LC/HF to try this experiment now , but will follow this thread with the enthusiasm of a " true" bacon lover.

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Does "all meat" literally mean nothing else, not even cream? Because I will need to gird my loins for no cream in coffee.

I would leave that up to each individual to decide. For me, it will mean only meat (ground beef) and no dairy and eggs. I might start earlier than some. We'll see when I get the burger. I also will probably go all the way through the month of April. At the very least, I'll do it for 30 days.

I would not fault you for having dairy. I am going to do this the way Stefansson did his year long experiment.
    47jjf5xiae78.png
    The Fat of the Land (Page 63).

I will exclude eggs and dairy, on my all meat diet. I'll actually do my best to stick to just ground beef. Although, if we wanted, I could also include steaks. But, that hardly seems fair. Especially since the primary amusing part would be 30 days of food logs with only one food on it.

For those strictly attempting it as an "All-Meat April" then I would totally accept dairy and eggs as a meat, as would Stefansson (really). He said those would have been fine, he excluded them simply to "get at the facts." I would also accept light seasonings and some small amount of condiments. I caution that most commercial mayo is a plant oil and would not be a meat. You could make your own from bacon grease, though, and that would be fine. Mayo from bacon grease and egg yolks would be a meat product.

In the end, it's up to you. Just no vegetables, fruits, or plants.

I think I might start early too, I may try to eat some of these veggies in my fridge so I don't have to throw them all away and then I'm going to bring on the bacon and pork belly.

And oops I forgot about my tea and coffee! Can't give them up and can't drink my coffee black when I'm also eating bacon, gives me heartburn. I will, however, trade my 2 tbsps of whole milk in my tea for 1 tbsp of single cream, giving me 3 tbsps of cream total each day, including the cream in my coffee.

My menu will include:
    Bacon (as needed)
    Pork Belly (as needed)
    Egg (1)
    Coffee (1 cup)
    Tea (2 cups)
    Single cream (3 tbsps)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Coffee?

I am keeping the coffee. There is no way I could quit that during the school year.

I was going to say that the universe would explode if you did that. :lol: Or you would.

Up for 21 march bacon week and an all meat April, well at least until mum arrives on 21 April. 21 march to 21 April could be my meat feast. Too much energy wasted if I dont eat at least some green leafy veg when my mum is here. yes, also a grown woman dodging a conflict plus keeping my mum happy.

I feel you. That's the situation with my DH. He still constantly makes cracks about how bad my cholesterol must be.rolleyes_2011.gif

I badly want to make bacon grease mayo. But I don't think I have enough right now. And bacon has been pricey here lately. :disappointed:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I can't hardly eat Bacon cooked on the BBQ grill. Its tastes so good, I want to eat the whole package in one setting.

I'm spoiled now, I hardly ever will cook it any other way.

Dan
    36plmg0tdyf4.jpeg

I am beyond in love with bacon but have never had it cooked in a Bbq grill, now wondering what I'm missing. OTOH, not sure it could get better than "oven baked" ..... btw, I'm too new to LC/HF to try this experiment now , but will follow this thread with the enthusiasm of a " true" bacon lover.

I have a BBQ grill called a "TRU InfraRed". They put a small hole screen between the upper grate and the fire. When the fat drips into the fire, it flares up into a flame, BUT, the flame cannot make it through the small hole screen. So, instead of gigantic fire and burnt meat, you get this bacon that tastes like the best BBQ ribs you ever had ~ but much more tender AND it doesn't take 6-12 hours of slow cooking ribs. It only takes minutes.

Yes, you lose some of the fat, but the flavor makes the difference.

Unfortunately, I would think you'd have to have that grill. To do otherwise, means, burnt up bacon.

BTW, it also cooks chicken thighs (with the fatty skin on them) marvelously!

Here is a short YouTube that explains how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bQK7gPX1Y

You can buy them at Walmart for less than $200 (all stainless steel). But be careful, Charbroil sells other grills that look exactly like the TRU InfraRed on the outside ~ but they don't have the screen shown in the video! It has to say TRU Infrared on the box.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I am excited!! I may start trying to ease into it also. I am hoping this will help towards me getting my BGlucose level. If I watch my protein levels. I find I am having a hard time not eating carbs....so this will be great!!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    I am excited!! I may start trying to ease into it also. I am hoping this will help towards me getting my BGlucose level. If I watch my protein levels. I find I am having a hard time not eating carbs....so this will be great!!

I struggle with the protein levels too, it seems like 80 g is my max before my BG starts to take a hit, that's what I love about bacon & pork belly, it's yummy and the protein volume is lower than beef, chicken or other cuts of pork.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options

I struggle with the protein levels too, it seems like 80 g is my max before my BG starts to take a hit, that's what I love about bacon & pork belly, it's yummy and the protein volume is lower than beef, chicken or other cuts of pork.

I aim for 60, but under 100 is definite... I didn't know that protein would do that until , I believe it was Dragonslayer who mentioned ...or someone did..
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it would be like the experience one of my co-workers told about. She had a part time job in a doughnut shop while in college. The store owner, a wise and cagy old bird, told all new employees "Hey, eat all the doughnuts you want. Stuff 'em in, try 'em all, don't be shy." After a week, my friend couldn't look a doughnut in the hole for YEARS afterwards.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    I'm thinking it would be like the experience one of my co-workers told about. She had a part time job in a doughnut shop while in college. The store owner, a wise and cagy old bird, told all new employees "Hey, eat all the doughnuts you want. Stuff 'em in, try 'em all, don't be shy." After a week, my friend couldn't look a doughnut in the hole for YEARS afterwards.

If only that worked for me! I'd gladly have a week of all you can eat bread, cake, milk chocolate, pasta, rice and pizza if that would get rid of all my carb cravings for a year! Instead I'm opting out of carbs as I've found that to be a more effective solution to those cravings, albeit I still have those days when cake feels like the answer to all of my problems.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

One thing that I found last year was that I didn't restrict protein, and my blood glucose levels dropped to a level that was better than ever. It seems that if you're leaving out carbs entirely, gluconeogenesis becomes completely a non-issue when it comes to BG levels.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

When it comes to meat, anecdotes from a few different groups that have tried it have actually found the exact opposite. While some people do find themselves sick of meat for a while in the first couple of weeks, if it's an option between eating meat and starving, they will eventually eat meat and pretty much never look back. Many of the Arctic explorers voluntarily continued to eat nothing but meat (or very close to it) after coming back to "civilization." I think the difference is that meat is actually a complete food, where things like donuts aren't.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Does "all meat" literally mean nothing else, not even cream? Because I will need to gird my loins for no cream in coffee.

I would leave that up to each individual to decide. For me, it will mean only meat (ground beef) and no dairy and eggs. I might start earlier than some. We'll see when I get the burger. I also will probably go all the way through the month of April. At the very least, I'll do it for 30 days.

I would not fault you for having dairy. I am going to do this the way Stefansson did his year long experiment.
    47jjf5xiae78.png
    The Fat of the Land (Page 63).

I will exclude eggs and dairy, on my all meat diet. I'll actually do my best to stick to just ground beef. Although, if we wanted, I could also include steaks. But, that hardly seems fair. Especially since the primary amusing part would be 30 days of food logs with only one food on it.

For those strictly attempting it as an "All-Meat April" then I would totally accept dairy and eggs as a meat, as would Stefansson (really). He said those would have been fine, he excluded them simply to "get at the facts." I would also accept light seasonings and some small amount of condiments. I caution that most commercial mayo is a plant oil and would not be a meat. You could make your own from bacon grease, though, and that would be fine. Mayo from bacon grease and egg yolks would be a meat product.

In the end, it's up to you. Just no vegetables, fruits, or plants.

:lol: That quote is absolutely awesome.
    Coffee?

I am keeping the coffee. There is no way I could quit that during the school year.

Didn't we make coffee and tea the drink exceptions last year? I'm game with keeping it that way this year, too.

For the other general questions:

General rules of thumb:

It has to come from the animal kingdom, either directly (meat) or as a "product" (eggs, dairy). No, honey is not considered an animal product, as it's nectar (a plant product) thickened with enzymes.

Favor higher fat content over lower fat. Cream over milk (or, if you don't have the option for cream or half & half, whole milk over anything less), ribeye over sirloin, etc.

Coffee and tea are okay, only if unsweetened.

No artificial sweeteners.

Spices are allowed, but aren't considered "food."
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

One thing that I found last year was that I didn't restrict protein, and my blood glucose levels dropped to a level that was better than ever. It seems that if you're leaving out carbs entirely, gluconeogenesis becomes completely a non-issue when it comes to BG levels.

While my BG was definitely better than ever after reducing the carbs to as close to nil as I could comfortably get (7-10 g most days, always under 20), I found that just a 20 gram switcheroo of protein to fat was able to help me eliminate 10 of my remaining 20 units of insulin a day, this was from a starting point of 310 units, so that may sound negligible, but to me it was a 50% difference at the time after not budging from that 20 unit point for over a month. Albeit, I have been a diabetic for 10 years, on insulin for 5 years, so I'm not as likely to achieve the same results as others.

Of course, my recent week of stress kicked me back up to 100 units a day, even while still at very low carb levels. I kind of threw in the towel for a couple of days and decided to eat some non-starchy vegetables since I'm having to inject anyway, no doubt adding fuel to the fire, but clearly not as much fuel as the stress added. This bacon challenge will definitely be a good way for me to get back on track and undo this stress damage.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am really interested in seeing how this plays out for you all. I would never be able to commit to something that involved that much meat eating. I crave veggies so much. So when I finally do treat myself to them I am in heaven.

This is going to be really neat. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.. :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the 21st of March then, and will run through at least thirty days of hamburger. I will not be giving up my coffee either! I'm in the transition to butter as the only additive, but will reserve the right to add a tbsp of hwc too, on occasion that I just feel like it, lol! Condiments will be mustard or whatever I can fashion out of the meat drippings! Will allow spices and some garlic. Otherwise hamburger will be it!

Now, for 1001 ways to make hamburger fun to eat! Lol!

• monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ground beef, sounds neat, going to watch you hounds eat

wjp4h1wwnih7.jpg
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

This I am looking forward too!! I think it will be easier for me to leave them(carbs) out completely for a while.... Thanks!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    [/quote]

I aim for 60, but under 100 is definite... I didn't know that protein would do that until , I believe it was Dragonslayer who mentioned ...or someone did..[/quote]

I am so sorry..Dragonwolf, I completely slayed your name... but I was trying to remember who told me about too much protein storing as glucose , and did not take the time to look back. : )

edited :to try to get the quote
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

Again I go back to the Fat of the Land (pages 54-55 ... but if you read the whole chapter he addresses this sort of thing in depth).
    01rlk8wr3v9i.png

Around a week in, the men do tend to get bored and frustrated. They don't want to eat. Then they tend to get a bit of an appetite and eat something. Stefansson (on page 59) hypothesizes that if the men were "rescued" during this week they would probably swear off the meat forever.

u7vfi9hret5u.png

So, some people might burn on out hamburger or stuff doing this. I find it likely if they're doing the single meat, like I am. I find it doubtful if they are doing all meats, eggs, and possibly dairy. That's enough variety to keep people from getting sick of one food.

Yes, in case anyone is wondering, this is the book I base my diet on.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am probably going to start tomorrow. Finishing up my last ribeye tonight. My wife will eat the cheese and eggs that I have in the fridge.