30 Days of Only Ground Beef

Options

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Oh man i would eat the last bits of butter clinging to the wrapper before tossing it. It's been over a year since "grease" didn't sound good.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Are you taking progress pics to share? I like #s & stats but I'm a big fan of seeing the effects of peoples' diet/exercise regimens visually. Just wondering tho nbd.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I imagine that after a certain point the thought of drinking drippings would sound delicious. I feel the lower carb I am the more fat appeals to me, like licking bacon grease off my fingers is one of the most delicious things, or licking out the melted butter from my butter dipping dish.

I've been thinking that, too. Like I was surprised to realize that actually sounded somewhat appealing rather than triggering an "ew!" reaction like it would have 4 months ago. This woe really does change your tastes.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Are you taking progress pics to share? I like #s & stats but I'm a big fan of seeing the effects of peoples' diet/exercise regimens visually. Just wondering tho nbd.

I don't have progress pictures, but I do have body measurements (taken each Saturday).

As for drinking grease, butter, and other such things, I find that the appeal goes up the longer you've been on this diet but also the closer you get to goal weight. Too much fat, when you're already heavy, will make you sick to your stomach. As you lose body fat, you'll find the amount of dietary fat climbs to compensate and your desire for it goes up respectively.
  • glossbones
    Options
    I didn't get starting photos either, and I think the biggest improvements have already happened (the loss of inflammation in my stomach). I am only trying to get from 142.8 where I started to 125 at this point, so I'm not sure the changes will be that dramatic. The biggest will probably be in my muscle definition because I'm weight training at the same time and have all this protein to benefit from.

Will be posting my weekly recap with measurements in an hour or so.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking forward to the benefit of this challenge! Monday is coming fast and I'm looking forward to it! Ugh to the vacation intake, even staying low carb!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I did my measurements this morning. I went down 0.3% in the body fat estimate. There was a little shrinkage in the waist area (about 1 cm). There rest of the number didn't change in any significant way. My Saturday to Saturday trend weight dropped a whole kilogram. That's a big drop.
  • glossbones
    Options
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FIT_Goat/view/day-11-30-ground-beef-822221

Today wasn't very exciting. I hope to give blood tomorrow. I expect it to be uneventful, but so many people worry about giving blood on keto and low-carb.
  • glossbones
    Options
    I have had some nausea for the past two evenings. I am wondering if it's related to eye strain. When I get up and move around it seems to clear up. Last night it cleared up when I belched a few times. Wondering if it's related to the frozen beef somehow? I certainly don't enjoy it as much as fresh.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    It could be, it could also be that it's just too much fat. I know, for experimental purposes, you're trying to make sure to consume all the fat. It might just be too much. Nausea is a prime sign of trying to consume more fat than your body wants. That's another reason I doubt most people could consistently over-eat enough to gain significant weight (long-term) on a meat-only diet.

You might want to try reducing the fat, a little, and see if that helps.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FIT_Goat/view/day-12-30-ground-beef-822380

Day 12 is done. I had too much seasoning with my dinner, but otherwise was on plan.
  • glossbones
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It could be, it could also be that it's just too much fat. I know, for experimental purposes, you're trying to make sure to consume all the fat. It might just be too much. Nausea is a prime sign of trying to consume more fat than your body wants. That's another reason I doubt most people could consistently over-eat enough to gain significant weight (long-term) on a meat-only diet.

You might want to try reducing the fat, a little, and see if that helps.

Would that nausea come immediately following a meal or could it strike anytime?

This week I have 85/15 patties I grabbed by mistake, so those will be more protein. I've definitely had higher fat days in the past, but I guess not so consistently.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Usually it is pretty soon after, like within an hour or two. I guess it could be longer, but most things I have read suggest it is pretty quick. My personal experience, with drinking large amounts of fat, is that it comes on fairly soon after. I have never actually puked, but it has been pretty close. It also seems more common if the percentage of fat is especially high. A cup of heavy cream all by itself and an hour after I will be in no shape for eating anything. I couldn't be paid to drink another. A whole stick of melted butter (same amount of fat) following a pound of shrimp, and I will feel great.
    If the diet has been too lean, one is likely to overindulge in fat to a degree which causes vomiting within the next hour or two. This single gorging and its violent reaction apparently leave no bad effect; but a persistent overindulgence can produce discomforts and difficulties that may last a day, or even several days.
    The Fat of the Land (page 70) {Proof that I can find an answer to nearly any question about meat only diets in that book. :lol: }
  • glossbones
    Options
    Okay that's what I thought. Friday I had the nausea five hours or more after eating (we went out shopping after work instead of eating dinner at the usual time), and yesterday just before bed, maybe three hours after eating. I didn't have any today.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    You might be in the realm of persistent overindulgence, which could cause discomfort for a while.

Maybe the leaner meat, this week, will help.
  • glossbones
    Options
    Looking back over the last week there was only one day that I'd consider "above average" for me, and every other day seemed safely below my typical. Maybe it's the protein? That's generally been well above my usual. 150g vs my usual 100g or less.

Anyway, last night I had no nausea, and am hungry today. Looking forward to the 11 oz patty I brought for lunch.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm in peeps! Day one beginning here! I need it! I feel so bloated after a minimal indulgence while in Jamaica! Scale increase was 4.5 pounds, and I don't consider that to be very bad, at all! Will see y'all in the ground beef world later! Lol!
  • glossbones
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I'm in peeps! Day one beginning here! I need it! I feel so bloated after a minimal indulgence while in Jamaica! Scale increase was 4.5 pounds, and I don't consider that to be very bad, at all! Will see y'all in the ground beef world later! Lol!

Welcome to The Secret Society of Cow Cullers!

Really interested to hear how it goes for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The 21st snuck up on me! I didn't realize today was bacon challenge day until I saw @Karlottap 's post. I had already made myself a BPC with coconut oil, cream, and about a 1/6th of a scoop of protein powder, and drank most of it! I'll start after this coffee....Bacon for a week. I'm excited and dreading it! LOL

So to experiment correctly, you all are going with a maintenance TDEE, correct? What calculator are you using? I went to the keto (TDEE) calculator and only got a bit over 1500kcal. I'm not logging much lately but that seems lower than what I have been eating. Maybe 500 kcal lower. Approximately.

Should I go with that (~1500kcal) or go with another higher calculation or some sort of average?
    Fitness Frog has me at just over 1700 kcal http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    This site has me at almost 1700 kcal. https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=42&lbs=151&in=68&act=1.2&bf=30&f=1

Looks like my average would be about 1600kcal.

Today's stats:

Weight 151 lbs

FBG 5.7