30 Days of Only Ground Beef

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
In case you missed it the original discussion: What-happens-when-you-eat-nothing-but-bacon-for-30-days-straight

So, starting tomorrow, I am going to be eating nothing but ground beef. I am including coffee, but no eggs or dairy. And, my diet will be all ground beef. Let's hope nothing comes up, like being at a place that doesn't serve burgers, but this should be easily doable. I will be blogging the experience. I do expect to be provided a free meal from Chik-fil-a at a volunteer event, this month, but I wouldn't be eating that anyway.

FIT_Goat Blog

I just sat down and cooked up 1.5 pounds for tomorrow. That should be breakfast and lunch, for sure. It might be dinner as well. I am hoping to get in about 2 pounds a day, on average. I have one more pound of thawed ground beef. And, I took 5 pounds out of the fridge. I might have to buy more before Saturday/Sunday, when I am going to buy a lot of it in bulk.

We are going to be doing an "All-Meat April," with many people starting early on March 21st. I am just getting on board earlier, because I am always all-meat.

This should run from March 9th through April 7th, and possibly longer. I'll be tracking my change in weight and body fat, along with calories.

I will be eating mostly 75/25% ground beef (or around there). I also eat all the fat. I don't drain my meat. So, the reported calories and macros should be pretty accurate.

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You are my hero. :) Intrigued to hear how things go for you!
    I've toyed with the idea myself but not sure about a full month. I might try a week.
  • toshibella
    toshibella Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This sounds right up my alley. I will definitely be following along to see how it goes :)
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am trying to add more foods to my way of eating not fewer. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I think variety is "nice" and I can understand why people like it. I also think variety is completely unnecessary if someone is eating a complete food. A lot of people struggle because they are convinced that they can't survive without a multitude of food options. My wife is one of those people, who will tell me that she is bored and needs more variety. Meanwhile, if she wasn't eating low carb, should would normally eat only 5-6 different foods for weeks at a time.

This is an extreme lack of variety, but is easily something that can be done indefinitely.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I am already bored of ground beef. Lol. But that is just in my head, because I think of a how many meals of just ground beef that I have in front me me. :sweat:
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Curious if you're eating grassfed or factory ground beef.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ground beef is probably one of the few foods that I could eat daily, not sure for a full 30 days. Looking forward to following your progress.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I love the idea of not having to plan my meals. I bet i would get antsy after a week or two but it woul probably fade away.

Looking forward to updates, especially on how you are feeling about the monotony.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks a month of bacon sounds fun and is warming to the idea of going meat only in the USA trip. Will not happen. He loves his fries too much but love that he is entertaining the idea of carb reduction. May be his wife losing 20 percent of her weight in 6 months might be sinking in as a proof of concept.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    line up all your seasonings and choose a different one each day
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I know I could not handle the same food day in & day out for weeks, YIKES! My 'beef' with MFP, and the reason I no longer log my food, is because I have such a huge variety that stuff keeps getting bumped off my 4 page list each time I add something new to it. There are only so many spice ideas you can use for ground beef without adding other ingredients to make the recipes pleasingly international. Just my POV, good luck to you though!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Tanukiko wrote: »
    Curious if you're eating grassfed or factory ground beef.

I almost never eat grass-finished beef. My meat is always grain-finished. I have other threads where I explain my reasoning behind this.
    fludderbye wrote: »
    line up all your seasonings and choose a different one each day

My "light" seasoning requirement makes this less useful than you might think. Others might not be as strict as I am with that one.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Awesome. I love the idea of not having to plan my meals. I bet i would get antsy after a week or two but it woul probably fade away.

Looking forward to updates, especially on how you are feeling about the monotony.

It helps to remember that my normal eating habits are not exactly "varied." I might have chuck steaks with only salt for three days in a row, with nothing else.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Are you forgoing butter and other fats or emulsifiers? Added lard/tallow allowed, or only those naturally occurring/composed in your meat of choice?
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2016
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Are you forgoing butter and other fats or emulsifiers? Added lard/tallow allowed, or only those naturally occurring/composed in your meat of choice?

No added fats. If I want more fat, I will buy fattier ground beef. If I want less fat, I will buy less fatty ground beef (or not eat all the fat). Personally, ground beef around 20-25% fat (by weight) works pretty well to meat my typical fat numbers. It works out to be around 75-80% calories from fat.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It helps to remember that my normal eating habits are not exactly "varied." I might have chuck steaks with only salt for three days in a row, with nothing else.

^^^^ Exactly! I lived on teriyaki chicken alone for months when I was younger. I'd buy one chicken bowl a day and I ate half for lunch and half for dinner, literally every single day. I think I can do a month of this. Plus I'm having a little more variety than @FIT_Goat as I'm having two slightly different fatty cuts of pork each day plus one egg. And my pork belly offers variety - there's the layer of soft chewy meat, the layer of soft gooey fat and the layer of crunchy pig skin! My seasonings will be salt and pepper because good quality meat doesn't need anything else.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    V_Keto_V wrote: »

No added fats. If I want more fat, I will buy fattier ground beef. If I want less fat, I will buy less fatty ground beef (or not eat all the fat). Personally, ground beef around 20-25% fat (by weight) works pretty well to meat my typical fat numbers. It works out to be around 75-80% calories from fat.

LOL! Freudian slip.

75/25 ground beef....yummmm.... Greasy goodness.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FIT_Goat/view/day-1-30-ground-beef-813773

Today is up. I didn't get much eating in. We'll see how my appetite improves over the next few days. If it doesn't, my weight is going to drop faster than I expected.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for updating! Hope it ends up going well for you and you don't get too bored!