30 Days of Only Ground Beef

Options

Replies

• thubten1
    thubten1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tried this for 7 pounds worth of 88/12 from costco.You are going to be sick
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    thubten1 wrote: »

You mean physically ill, and by the end of the month? Or just tired of the flavor, pretty much immediately?

Both @FIT_Goat and I have already passed through (at least one) phase of not finding the ground beef appetizing. Sounds like we both came through it just fine.

So far I have consumed just under four pounds. I think Fitty will be a lot closer to hitting the 7# mark.

And as for the meat you said you got, that's far too lean for my liking!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

I am already past 8.5 pounds, as of lunch today. I am not at all sick. I wasn't always thrilled at the idea of more ground beef, but haven't been sick.
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

I am already past 8.5 pounds, as of lunch today. I am not at all sick. I wasn't always thrilled at the idea of more ground beef, but haven't been sick.

Sounds like your doing great at this. I always say I could never get sick of burgers but I'm a little afraid to try.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FIT_Goat/view/day-6-30-ground-beef-818011

Day 6 is done. I finally managed my 2,800 calorie goal. I was also very busy today. That probably helped. My one week graphs won't be tomorrow, they'll be up on day 8. Because I started on a Wednesday, and each weekly summary will be a Wednesday. But, the numbers at the bottom are running totals for the whole experiment.
  • glossbones
    Options
    I seem to be losing as much poundage as I'm consuming in ground beef. I'm down 4.4 lbs since I began. I'll take myotape measurements on Saturday morning (one week from the last set of measurements).

Last night I wished I'd cooked my 12 oz burger a little longer, I think more for texture than aversion to the raw inside. Tonight I may skillet-cook some smaller patties to alternate the texture of browned meat with the tasty red insides.

I also seared four patties to bring to work, two 12 oz and two 8 oz, which should cover me for the rest of the week. Assuming the fridge thief doesn't steal my meat again. Anyway, after I reheat them (too raw and rainy this week to want to eat cold meat) they'll be more cooked through.

Yesterday I drank a little more water than I had been over the weekend, and a little less coffee. Actually let a coffee get poured out with the last quarter unfinished. Normally that'd have broken my heart. Could it be I'm finally detaching my emotions from my food?
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Very cool. @glossbones- how did you determine how many ounces of meat per day?
  • glossbones
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Very cool.
    Thanks!
    how did you determine how many ounces of meat per day?
    I weigh it on a scale before cooking and eat everything, including the drippings. When I grill, I only sear the outside a tiny bit so I don't lose much.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Yesterday I drank a little more water than I had been over the weekend, and a little less coffee. Actually let a coffee get poured out with the last quarter unfinished. Normally that'd have broken my heart. Could it be I'm finally detaching my emotions from my food??

Ya, for the All Animal April I'm contemplating, in theory it should mean no coffee as well. but I don't know if I want to "go there" yet.
  • glossbones
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Yesterday I drank a little more water than I had been over the weekend, and a little less coffee. Actually let a coffee get poured out with the last quarter unfinished. Normally that'd have broken my heart. Could it be I'm finally detaching my emotions from my food??

Ya, for the All Animal April I'm contemplating, in theory it should mean no coffee as well. but I don't know if I want to "go there" yet.

I'm blaming @FIT_Goat for the coffee. You know, if we're doing a male/female comparison, I should try to match his efforts as much as possible. Yup, that's it. It's for science. What a sacrifice!

I did skip coffee last Friday at lunch and by the evening I was SO OVER the meat and water concept that I added the coffee back. But if I'd pushed through I'd probably have been fine.

However, this was about eliminating problem foods for me, and clearly coffee is not a problem food, so I'm not that concerned, and I am more comfortable comparing my experience to Fitty's if I am more similar in my behavior (though so far I've avoided all but a pinch of salt).
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    TBH, caffeine withdrawal is a real thing and certainly not something you want to add on top of everything else. ;)
    Great job so far!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Had to eat out twice today, but not to worry, I didn't break the rules. A pound of patties from Wendy's and an 8 ounce burger from a steakhouse (cheeseless and plain). My wife called it the saddest dinner I've ever had when we ate out. Lol.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Had to eat out twice today, but not to worry, I didn't break the rules. A pound of patties from Wendy's and an 8 ounce burger from a steakhouse (cheeseless and plain). My wife called it the saddest dinner I've ever had when we ate out. Lol.

You're hard core Goat! :smile:
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Lol well at least she's still sitting at the same table as you.
  • glossbones
    Options
    It certainly doesn't feel good to pay for a dinner at a restaurant when they charge five times the cost of the meat, and don't even save the grease for you!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FIT_Goat/view/week-1-summary-819337

The week 1 summary is up (I also put a daily summary up for yesterday, but it's short and just says where my numbers were yesterday).

I end up paying for food I don't eat all the time, when we eat out. I have some tricks that help me out. I often get the loaded baked potato with the toppings on the side. Then I can put the potato toppings (usually butter, cream cheese, and cheese) on top of my steak. I offer my sides to people. Some places will let you order things a la carte (Denny's will let you order their steak all by itself for a decent discount off the meal price).
  • glossbones
    Options
    Some places will let you order things a la carte (Denny's will let you order their steak all by itself for a decent discount off the meal price).

For just eating meat (beyond these 30 days), if you can find a Brazilian buffet you can usually make out like a bandit.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Some places will let you order things a la carte (Denny's will let you order their steak all by itself for a decent discount off the meal price).

For just eating meat (beyond these 30 days), if you can find a Brazilian buffet you can usually make out like a bandit.

Yes! We loved doing a rodizio for special occasions when we lived in the US, it helped me stay avoid the "but it's my birthday" carbs. There's no better meat experience in the world! It's a carnivore's paradise @FIT_Goat
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I've been to them. They are awesome. They are a bit on the higher end of our eating out budget, so we only do them once in a while. I think we spent like $125 last time (after tax and tip) for just me and my wife. That wasn't even one of the most expensive ones around.
  • glossbones
    Options
    I've been to them. They are awesome. They are a bit on the higher end of our eating out budget, so we only do them once in a while. I think we spent like $125 last time (after tax and tip) for just me and my wife. That wasn't even one of the most expensive ones around.

Wow! I went to one where you have the option of rodizio or pay-by-weight. I paid for a full filet mignon and it was only $7-something. My entire meal (just me) including espresso and soda water AND tip was $15!