30 Days of Only Ground Beef

Options

Replies

• Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Question: Does anyone think it would be cheating to grind up a chuck steak? It's the same cut they use for burgers. I don't want the cheap stuff raw, but I think it would be easier to eat (right now, while not feeling like burgers) if I could have some raw meat.

I can't see how it's cheating... since it will basically be burger meat. LOL But, I am willing to not do it, if anything thinks it will make a difference in the results.

Definitely not cheating. in fact, I can't see how it would be cheating if you cooked the chuck as a steak or a roast to provide a change of texture. Cheering you on!

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I was feeling like breakfast, today. That is a good sign. Weight popped up a tad, but still well under the starting weight.

I have started dumping a couple tablespoons of water into the pan, after cooking, to deglaze it and also to make a little "gravy" or "broth" to have with my meat.

I'm feeling pretty good today. I feel very "normal," if that makes any sense. Like this isn't a challenge so much as it is normal life. Which, I guess, isn't that far from the truth. This is pretty much my normal life.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my profile, but I'm sharing here too.

So after just one day, I think I'm ready to throw in the towel already on my 30-day pork belly experiment. I'm having the type of heartburn that genuinely leaves you questioning whether this time it's actually a heart attack, which in turn gave me the worst panic attack I've had in 5 years. Thank god for my emergency bottle of 5 year old Valium. I literally wrote a note for my husband to give the paramedics, if it came to that. Apparently my handful of carbs do a good job of helping my stomach process the fat. My regular heartburn pills have done nothing. So, after this hellish evening of chest pains, I can at least say that my blood sugar is doing better than it has in two weeks. And with that in mind, I'm going to work really hard to stay under 5-10 carbs each day and as close to zero as I can get, but no more single fat/protein source days.

Oh my! You must have been in pain. Glad you are on the other side now. Interesting result in blood sugar though. I'll have to think about that one.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

So after just one day, I think I'm ready to throw in the towel already on my 30-day pork belly experiment. I'm having the type of heartburn that genuinely leaves you questioning whether this time it's actually a heart attack, which in turn gave me the worst panic attack I've had in 5 years. Thank god for my emergency bottle of 5 year old Valium. I literally wrote a note for my husband to give the paramedics, if it came to that. Apparently my handful of carbs do a good job of helping my stomach process the fat. My regular heartburn pills have done nothing. So, after this hellish evening of chest pains, I can at least say that my blood sugar is doing better than it has in two weeks. And with that in mind, I'm going to work really hard to stay under 5-10 carbs each day and as close to zero as I can get, but no more single fat/protein source days.

Oh my! You must have been in pain. Glad you are on the other side now. Interesting result in blood sugar though. I'll have to think about that one.

I've been under 20 grams for a few months now and have had massive improvements in my blood sugar and huge reductions in medication use, but I've found considerable benefits remained in dropping my carbs even further. I kind of thought 20 carbs is practically nothing, how could a few mushrooms, a handful of spinach, lettuce, some cheese, cream, and seasonings (garlic, ginger, peppers, lemongrass) really make that much of a difference on my blood sugar, but they do. I sure as heck don't want to live without those things forever, but if that's what I have to do now to lose the weight, I'm ok with it. Im at 4 g carbs so far today. 3.6 of them are from pickles. The vinegar makes my tummy feel better and I needed the sodium. I'll probably end the day at 5g as I'm having some sauerkraut with dinner.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry today!

I got up and refused to make myself food while everyone else was still asleep and I'd have a chance to write (I ruined two such chances yesterday), so I didn't eat until just before noon. I was fine on two cups of (last night's reheated) decaf coffee. Wrapped up writing and ate the leftovers of that pound I cooked yesterday (3 7/8 ounces) and their juice, and another cup of (1/4 caffeinated) coffee. I have had a small amount of water but not what I'd normally have on a week day. I'm already looking forward to my next meal. Might sear a patty just a bit on the grill. I like the texture of the browned meat around a nice gooey (beef nougat?) core.

I weighed myself this morning and I'm down to 140. That's a total loss of 2.8 pounds just in the past two days. This is weight I'd been struggling to shed since mid-January. Now I need to look at what I'd been eating in the previous weeks and find a culprit. I'm eyeballing the MCT/Coconut oil, honestly. Or chicken? Or just the fact that they were all involved recipes with vegetable components. Can't tell. When I do add back in other foods, I want to start with eggs. I miss eggs.

I had some seriously severe cravings last night, like I haven't experienced in a long time, and was worried about my grocery store shopping trip for today, but this morning I'm feeling much better and looking forward to piling the cart high with the fattiest ground beef I can get. If I had my own grinder I'd get chuck steaks and some trays of fat, but no luck.

Anyone know what percentage of lean/fat Original Bubba Burgers are? Per serving they have far and above the fat that the 80/20 store brand burgers have. Is there a math equation for figuring this out? Divide fat and protein into the total weight and compare it? By gram, or by calories?

Anyway, I'll probably pick up another box of Bubba Burgers as backup to the fresh meat. I'll need to batch cook myself some for work, I guess. Or for breakfast. Can't decide if I should skip breakfast or lunch. Guess I could always just go to Five Guys during the day, but that's the same price per meal as three pounds of 80/20 ground meat, and I can cook mine rare. :P

I don't think my parents have a BJs membership anymore, but hopefully I can find chubs of ground meat, similar to what @FIT_Goat found, at Costco this week.

For those of you who follow along in my other posts, my mother and husband also eat low carb. Husband is getting a batch of turkey bacon chowder (I Breathe I'm Hungry recipe) to eat, plus a batch of bacon dip (I'm relieved to hear him have a taste for this again, he's been giving me that old 'texture issue' line lately), and he's got a corned beef brisket to cook on Thursday. Mom has fresh Tuna Salad I made her for her lunch, and said she'll eat burgers with me for dinner (though she's having vegetables on the side). So the shopping trip should be nice and easy.

Speaking of which, someone stole an hour from my life while I was sleeping, so I'd better go get that shopping done...
  • dasher602014
    Options
    @glossbones , I have used a food processor to grind meat with success. Do not know the fat proportions, though.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not cheating. Ground beef is all types...I would be grinding up that rib eye! lol
    But I am thinking of backing out after hearing PaleoinScotland"s awful day. I may myself try to keep my carbs to low-low.....if I can't commit to all meat.

Best wishes , Fit_Goat & Glossbones, I admire you!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    To figure out what percentage of fat a burger is, divide the fat grams by the serving size, times 100. So, if your meat has 30 grams of fat per serving, and a 112 gram serving size, then you would do (30/112)*100= 26.8% -- roughly 27%. The rest of the percentage, to 100%, is the lean. So, that would be 73/27 ground beef.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I've been under 20 grams for a few months now and have had massive improvements in my blood sugar and huge reductions in medication use, but I've found considerable benefits remained in dropping my carbs even further. I kind of thought 20 carbs is practically nothing, how could a few mushrooms, a handful of spinach, lettuce, some cheese, cream, and seasonings (garlic, ginger, peppers, lemongrass) really make that much of a difference on my blood sugar, but they do. I sure as heck don't want to live without those things forever, but if that's what I have to do now to lose the weight, I'm ok with it. Im at 4 g carbs so far today. 3.6 of them are from pickles. The vinegar makes my tummy feel better and I needed the sodium. I'll probably end the day at 5g as I'm having some sauerkraut with dinner.

I understand this. Those few carb gram, and the extra protein, make getting BG to your goal tough.
  • glossbones
    Options
    To figure out what percentage of fat a burger is, divide the fat grams by the serving size, times 100. So, if your meat has 30 grams of fat per serving, and a 112 gram serving size, then you would do (30/112)*100= 26.8% -- roughly 27%. The rest of the percentage, to 100%, is the lean. So, that would be 73/27 ground beef.

Thanks! I figured it had to be something simpler than I was trying to make it. So a Bubba Burger is still just 80/20, the benefit is in the serving size.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FIT_Goat/view/day-5-30-ground-beef-817672

I went back and got another 15 pounds of beef today. Can't turn down the sale price.

Tomorrow, I go to Disney. Bringing at least a pound of burger with me. Still only getting about 2100 calories a day.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    8wrhx9yxd6r3.jpg

Went to the store and grabbed some burger tonight. They only had 45 pounds out. So, I am 10 pounds short. But, this will last a while. On a bright note, the meat was labeled $11.29 for each chub, but it rung up $9.99 a chub. That's $2/lb. The total was $89.91 for the 45 pounds.

There's a lot of hate for this on the bottom of the original blog post. Apparently, I have attracted the attention of the non-low-carb people. If it gets worse, I might limit my blog to friends only. I don't want to do that, but we will see.

Edit: I deleted some of the low-content posts. That should stir the hornet's nest. :lol:

:lol: Gotta love the people who clearly don't know you and clearly missed the part where you've said that this is already basically how you eat, you're just doing it in ground beef form, as opposed to ground and steak.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Yay for Disney! I didn't know you could bring your own food there.
  • glossbones
    Options

Yep you just can't bring a rolling cooler. ;)

Or probably steak knives. Good thing this isn't a chuck steak challenge.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »

Yep you just can't bring a rolling cooler. ;)

Or probably steak knives. Good thing this isn't a chuck steak challenge.

did not know that Disney was so sensible with outside food. Just wish other places would do as well. Golf clubs, movies, sporting events. It is tough with a diabetic adult. I cannot imagine dealing with a diabetic (or any) child! And the search of bags! Safety I understand but allowing no outside water??? So their safety checks are bs.

I am watching this challenge with interest and thinking about a shorter time on bacon or beef. I like both.
  • glossbones
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think Disney recognizes that the price of admission at the gates is a limiting factor, and if they forced you to buy their food, they'd cull their crowd population too much. They also understand different diets, and their international crowd, and that some people bring food to save money that they then spend on souvenirs. It's good business. And you're right, other businesses should figure that out, too.

They do search bags, but not for food contraband. A couple of the security guards teased when I had no snacks in my purse, and said they were hungry!

Disney will also give you free cups of filtered water (from their soda fountains) if you ask. No need to spend the $4 on a smart water, and I can avoid their Nestle/Dasani water (the magnesium sulfate added to them gives me canker sores).

So this is my.. day.. four-ish? I brought 14 ounces of ground beef to work, pre-seared. Without a scale here I'll have to eat all or none to know how much to track, but I'm pretty hungry now (with three hours to lunch) so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have 6.5 lbs of ground beef in the fridge at home. I will probably prep half of it (one package) tonight for my lunches, and continue to cook a portion each night for dinner, to avoid the microwave as much as I can.

Down another .8 lbs this morning, putting the ground beef weight loss total at 3.6 lbs since Friday morning. Some of it could possibly be dehydration, as I always have less water than normal (and far more coffee than usual) on the weekends.

Still can visibly see a little lower-belly bump, but it's nothing compared to what it was before I started.
    If I'm on the same pace as @FIT_Goat then I'm just about due to slow my scale losses. So far we have seem to be experiencing roughly the same results in terms of appetite, hunger, and losses.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Apologies if this has been asked but what sort of beef are you eating, do you care about added hormones, grass fed, organic etc?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I have a picture of the beef I am eating, but the short answer is that none of those things are important enough to worry about.
  • glossbones
    edited March 2016
    Options
    In a perfect world our cattle would all be organic, untreated, pastured, and grain finished (for fat). This ain't a perfect world. But I'm way healthier eating my American food lot cattle than I am eating my American food lot cattle, grains, AND the chemical soup that is the world of packaged 'food product.'
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It's the 80/20 thing, I think. I've seen a lot of indication that there's as much of a difference going from even 20g of carbs to 0 as there is going to 20-50g from just about any other level. Going to 20g as the floor is the "80" part, where most people will see great results and might not see much profound difference for the effort going all the way down to 0, but for some, that extra "20" is huge.

If you check out the zero carb forums and stuff, you'll likely find a lot of people who have noticed similar profound changes in health markers that they didn't even see with a handful of extra carbs. It really is astounding how such a relatively small change can make such a huge impact.