Non-American Carbs...what's up with them?

Options
124»

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    I think another big factor is eating out versus preparing home cooked meals. Because more women work in Western culture, there's less time for home cooked meals, and when people do eat at home, it's often a ready meal, not a meal prepared with fresh, raw ingredients. I know that's what contributed to my poor state of health.

I just want to flag that healthy eating for the family is both parents' job, not just the job of the ones with the genitals on the inside of her body. If the moms are too busy at work to cook proper meals, it's time for the dads to step up, and vice versa.

I totally hear ya! Trust me, no gender stereotypes in my house.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Geez, cut off half my post again.

Was just saying that I have a stay at home husband and we don't have kids. I just like having someone at home to take care of me and keep the house tidy as I don't have time for that. I do cook, but it's because I love cooking.

My point wasn't that it's the woman's responsibility to cook, but that with both parents now working and both of them too busy to cook from scratch, more households are eating take out and ready meals that are both packed full of nutritionally void calories.

Businesses cater to the new family structure by offering cheap quick food that makes it more affordable to eat out or grab something ready to go from the grocery store than to cook at home with fresh ingredients, so people take the easy road without thinking about the health sacrifices they're making.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Was just saying that I have a stay at home husband and we don't have kids. I just like having someone at home to take care of me and keep the house tidy as I don't have time for that. I do cook, but it's because I love cooking.

My point wasn't that it's the woman's responsibility to cook, but that with both parents now working and both of them too busy to cook from scratch, more households are eating take out and ready meals that are both packed full of nutritionally void calories.

Businesses cater to the new family structure by offering cheap quick food that makes it more affordable to eat out or grab something ready to go from the grocery store than to cook at home with fresh ingredients, so people take the easy road without thinking about the health sacrifices they're making.

Absolutely - didn't mean to single you out. As I get older, I'm becoming much more vocal about gender equality, so tend to question such language choices. Not because I don't think someone is a feminist or believes in gender inequality, but to just ensure that they are brought to attention.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options

Absolutely - didn't mean to single you out. As I get older, I'm becoming much more vocal about gender equality, so tend to question such language choices. Not because I don't think someone is a feminist or believes in gender inequality, but to just ensure that they are brought to attention.

No worries at all. As I get older I worry less about political correctness and like to have frank discussions about the changes we experience in society and how they affect many different areas of our life. I can really easily pinpoint the time in my life that eating three nutritious meals stopped, it was when my parents divorced and I became the stereotypical GenX latchkey kid with no parent at home providing meals. At 8 years old breakfast became cornuts from a vending machine, no lunch because I struggled to get up early enough to pack my own lunch (I was already an insomniac, making the new early mornings tough), I'd eat a bag of ramen when I got home because it was the only thing I could cook at 8 years old and my mom would usually pick up a hamburger or pizza or ask me to boil some spaghetti with a jar of sauce. I don't think I saw another fresh vegetable until I moved out of the house. Single parent households and households with two working parents were much less common in other countries 30+ years ago, and I strongly believe that cultural shift contributed to America's obesity epidemic. Now that the rest of the world has caught up from a cultural perspective, with more dual working parents, increased single parent households, and everyone too busy to cook and more dependent on fast food and packaged food, we're seeing the same obesity levels as America in many other countries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sooooo not blaming working parents for the obesity crisis, there are lots of factors involved in this perfect storm. But I do think society needs to find a way to make preparing fresh food using whole ingredients a priority again instead of being so reliant on these quick and easy take and bake chemical concoctions and fast food junk, because that's the difference between American carbs and the carbs being consumed in countries with lower obesity rates.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I think another big factor is eating out versus preparing home cooked meals. Because more women work in Western culture, there's less time for home cooked meals, and when people do eat at home, it's often a ready meal, not a meal prepared with fresh, raw ingredients. I know that's what contributed to my poor state of health.

I just want to flag that healthy eating for the family is both parents' job, not just the job of the ones with the genitals on the inside of her body. If the moms are too busy at work to cook proper meals, it's time for the dads to step up, and vice versa.

Yes!!!