Intermittent fasting

Options
124»

Replies

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just saw this recent article about a 9 year study ( it was also published in JAMA apparently) regarding breast cancer and reoccurring events. Short stints of daily IF appear to be a measurable indicator of reducing chances of reoccurrence. Not conclusive, of course, but promising. I am more and more convinced that raising ketones naturally from diet is one of the healthiest things we can do for ourselves.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/146071/20160331/breast-caner-survivors-skip-late-night-snacks-study.htm
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    I just saw this recent article about a 9 year study ( it was also published in JAMA apparently) regarding breast cancer and reoccurring events. Short stints of daily IF appear to be a measurable indicator of reducing chances of reoccurrence. Not conclusive, of course, but promising. I am more and more convinced that raising ketones naturally from diet is one of the healthiest things we can do for ourselves.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/146071/20160331/breast-caner-survivors-skip-late-night-snacks-study.htm

When looking at what autophagy and phagocytosis are, the body recycling molecules to reassemble new tissue (Ty @Kirkor), it would seem to me that although there are a great deal of overlap between IF and keto-adaptation, IF has additional tricks up the sleeve. Namely the body healing itself by regular housecleaning of faulty debris.

For more on keto/IF/cancer:

On the IMHC. Thomas Seyfried Cancer as a metabolic disease.
    https://youtu.be/SEE-oU8_NSU

A talk with Andrew Scarborough who fought back brain cancer. It's a very detailed account of his extensive protocol. Interesting how he drew conclusions from Keto pets to change his own WOE.
    https://youtu.be/4f5e9GbXvIk

Dominic D'Agostino on optimal levels of ketosis, cancer and much more
    http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/

About DM. Not really about cancer, but apparently reducing fat in pancreas may be one of the missing links to reverse DM, not just keeping it in check. A study done in Newcastle, UK, showed that people can...With severe restriction...get more normal blood values.
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm.

I agree with Dr. Fung that the most interesting message is that people may find out for themselves the official mantra that DM is a chronic and lifelong disease is not true.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    https://honeycomb.click/topic/61245-intermittent-fasting-and-cma/

More about the value of IF or nutritional ketosis triggering CMA (Country Music Awards) or Chaperone Mediated Autophagy. :)

It is a deep science paper but the last sentence is:

"Thus, to our knowledge, this report provides the first evidence that CMA is an essential component of the stress response orchestrated in mammalian cells to guarantee cellular survival during cell injury."
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

This is an IF Ted talk and it is short. Sorry if it is a repeat posting.

apache2.pum.edu.pl/~fasting/upton.pdf

The author on this book is Upton Sinclair which blew my mind and is 105 years old. Apparently he had people fasting all around the world for days at at time. See page 19 for start of those stories. He would have been put in prison today. :)

https://ia801409.us.archive.org/11/items/fastingforcureof00hazziala/fastingforcureof00hazziala.pdf

Small pages but 398 of them. Fasting for the Cure of Disease by Dr. Linda Burfield Hazzard 1908. Make sure and see photo with caption between pages 276 and 277. We may be on something more powerful than we thought. There are other photos in the book. NO they are not in color. :) After a fast scan all I can is WOW.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - Thanks for the refs!

That last one looks like a gem.

Dipping in here and there has turned up all sorts of interesting writing. Just following the photo you mentioned, the author offers the following opinions on the effect of fasting on intestinal issues:
    "Without citing individual instances, attention is directed to the ease with which the disease symptom known as appendicitis yields to the fast.
    In the treatment of any intestinal inflammation, appendicitis included, no assistance is needed other than that which complete rest of the digestive tract and constant application of the enema afford. Pain ceases and fever is reduced in every uncomplicated instance by the end of the third day, and the sole necessity for the continuance of the fast is found in seeking perfect results and the general welfare of the patient."
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Yes, she is a F.S., D.O. but not sure what that meant over 100 years ago. D.O. may be the same as today. Of course at that time surgery was not that easy to fine places to do it. Makes one think. I asked in the other thread if anyone knew of cases where nutritional ketosis was know to fix major health issues that they claimed possible with total fasting.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread and all the information with! I'll read up some more and try it myself.

Very exciting!
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some of the questions about coffee are answered in this FAQ supposedly answered by Dr. Fung. dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting-faq

1-2tsp of cream is ok to get you through. He didn't specify amount of coconut oil.

"While fasting is it okay to drink coffee with milk? I can’t do black coffee. I have a little milk with my coffee.
    Technically, the milk does not fall within the guidelines of a true fast, but the small amount of milk/ cream added to coffee improves compliance tremendously for some people. So in our program, we absolutely allow milk/ cream in coffee, but no sweeteners or sugar."

"Do you suggest the use of any liquids other than water during a 16 to 18 hour fast? Is regular black coffee or tea with caffeine ok or does caffeine raise blood sugar?
    Tea (all kinds), coffee, and bone broth are all acceptable. I allow a small amount of cream or coconut oil in coffee for compliance sake, although technically, it would not be allowed. I don’t worry about the caffeine content."
  • mrsz917
    mrsz917 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started 16:8 about 4 weeks (ish) ago. The first week was the most challenging for me, I only made it to 14:10 or 15:9 most days. (I refuse to go hungry, rule #1 for me!) By week two it got WAY easier, to the point I didn't have to even try or talk myself into waiting an hour to break my fast. Then last week we were traveling visiting relatives and it was impossible to do IF, and I was afraid I would have to start over. But once I got back and started to do 16:8 IF again, my body was ready for it and it's as if I never stopped. I really like eating this way A LOT, especially having two larger meals plus a coffee snack instead of three medium/smaller meals plus snacks. I don't cut calories though, but I never really counted them anyway.

As for having cream in the coffee, that is how I love my coffee but I do consider that breaking my fast. So it is black coffee and water until I am ready to enter my 8 hour period. I always break my fast around Noon with a coffee full of cream and dutch cacao with a bit of vanilla and Truvia. (I have been adding a scoop of collagen protein too lately, it's flavorless and seems to cut the appetite even longer) That coffee drink with get me by a few hours, then its lunch around 2 pm, dinner at 7:30 pm, and back into my fast by 8 pm.

Have you noticeably lost fat?
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    mrsz917 wrote: »
    I started 16:8 about 4 weeks (ish) ago. The first week was the most challenging for me, I only made it to 14:10 or 15:9 most days. (I refuse to go hungry, rule #1 for me!) By week two it got WAY easier, to the point I didn't have to even try or talk myself into waiting an hour to break my fast. Then last week we were traveling visiting relatives and it was impossible to do IF, and I was afraid I would have to start over. But once I got back and started to do 16:8 IF again, my body was ready for it and it's as if I never stopped. I really like eating this way A LOT, especially having two larger meals plus a coffee snack instead of three medium/smaller meals plus snacks. I don't cut calories though, but I never really counted them anyway.

As for having cream in the coffee, that is how I love my coffee but I do consider that breaking my fast. So it is black coffee and water until I am ready to enter my 8 hour period. I always break my fast around Noon with a coffee full of cream and dutch cacao with a bit of vanilla and Truvia. (I have been adding a scoop of collagen protein too lately, it's flavorless and seems to cut the appetite even longer) That coffee drink with get me by a few hours, then its lunch around 2 pm, dinner at 7:30 pm, and back into my fast by 8 pm.

Have you noticeably lost fat?

I never measured my actual fat ratio, and so much else going on this month, that is a really hard one to answer. I have been steadily losing inches and weight (70 pounds total so far) over 7 months on a variety of methods. Initially I lost ~30 pounds in 4 months doing the standard low-fat/high-carb, then I lost ~40 pounds in 3 months doing the LCHF method. So I am convinced with LCHF! However, as I get closer to goal, I am no longer dropping 2-3 pounds per week anymore, it is tapering off to about 1 or 1 1/2 pounds per week lately. This is to be expected, not an issue, but makes comparing month to month results a bit of a challenge. This month of April makes it especially hard to measure since I took a week off while on vacation (I definitely ate more but stayed LCHF, and no IF), and this week I have had a big weight stall due to heavy menses, but I stayed true to doing LCHF and IF. On paper the month of April probably isn't going to look great for me, but given everything I know that happened I think it is remarkable I am still losing weight at all. :wink:

• closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I did IF for several months on a 5:2 basis: 5 days of the week eating about 2000 cal, and the other two days skipping breakfast, and eating afternoons only for about 700 cal. Averaged over a week it was about 1600 calories a day, and it was actually easier for me to eat this way than to have daily caloric restriction. I didn't lose weight super fast, but I DID lose it consistently in this way.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413107001374

"Main Text
    Biology of Fasting

The adaptation from the fed to fasted (total lack of food intake, usually acute) or starved (chronic undernutrition) state has been a subject of fascination, and investigation, for centuries (Cahill, 2006 and Keys et al., 1950; see also Tucker, 2006). In the fed state, glucose fulfills the body's acute, immediate energy needs. The body senses a drop in glucose concentration at sites such as the pancreatic islets, brain, and portal vein. It responds by reducing insulin secretion from islet β cells and by increasing glucagon secretion from islet α cells. Another response is sympathetic adrenal stimulation causing increased epinephrine levels; this arm is of secondary importance but has a larger role in patients with type 2 diabetes (Cryer et al., 2003).

During fasting, liver glycogen, a glucose-storage polymer, is initially mobilized to replenish blood glucose (glycogenolysis). Major changes in metabolism occur as the glycogen supply dwindles. Stored adipose tissue triglycerides are released into the circulation as glycerol and fatty acids. The glycerol is converted by the liver into glucose (gluconeogenesis). The fatty acids are directly oxidized as an energy source by some tissues (liver and muscle); the liver also metabolizes the fatty acids to β-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate (“ketone bodies”). Ketone bodies are released into the circulation for use by tissues, notably the brain, which cannot use fatty acids. The liver also uses ketones for gluconeogenesis. When fasting is prolonged, muscle protein breakdown occurs, sending alanine to the liver as another substrate for gluconeogenesis (Cahill, 2006)........."

I kind of ran up on this searching on "Skeletal muscle is an endocrine organ" in the thread 'How significant are hormones in appetite control' community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36276983#Comment_36276983 in the first reply.

If stored fat can be released as 'glycerol' to make glucose and fatty acids to make ketone bodies does that mean next to no protein is needed from muscles in starvation/ketosis?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    <refresh> - long overdue!