Keto rash

Options
Is there anything that can help with this itchy keto rash? I have it pretty bad on the arms to the elbow and from my knees down. I have been putting hydrocortisone on it but, not much relief. Anybody have a solution?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How are your electrolytes? It may be activated by dry skin caused by dehydration from electrolyte imbalance.
    See the launchpad info about electrolytes to find out how much sodium and magnesium you may want to supplement.
    On another note, i got my SAD diet eating father to start taking sodium and magnesium. He had terribly low blood pressure and a very bad breakout from Agent Orange Syndrome all over his body that was excruciatingly itchy and dry. Within 24 hours of starting 2000mg of sodium and 500mg magnesium his itching had stopped and blood pressure was normal. The rash began to appear less red within the next day and completely ckeared up by the next week. This after taking prescriptions and using RX strength steroid creams doing nothing for it.
  • ilovethecamp32
    ilovethecamp32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sunny Bunny. I do take a small dose of both potassium and Magnesium and salt my food everyday. I feel pretty good, no headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, concentration problems etc. The only problem is the rash. I drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. I did read the information about electrolytes and will try drinking some broth. I do have dry skin and dry eyes.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    It could be that you're just in need of more than what you're currently getting.
    Getting water is important too but that also increases the sodium needs even more.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    There's also a possibility that the rash is caused by ph changes associated with the new diet or candida die off
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What is this keto rash?! I've been getting rashes off and on now since starting keto on my face that are driving me crazy!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    People like to call it "Keto rash". Personally I can't stand that reference. It's not caused by ketones in any way shape or form.
    Assuming it's caused by dietary changes at all, it's either related to electrolytes, ph balance changes, candida or in some cases could be a lactose or casein allergy showing up since many of us suddenly start having more dairy when going low carb.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here are a couple of links to fairly recent discussions about this.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10363494/itching#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10364217/rash#latest

You will also find a link to a podcast in both of them where Jimmy Moore and Dr Nally discuss it about halfway through the show.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This might be what I have. It's not candia as I get some gut bacterial test about once a year ( I have really bad IBS but Keto seems to be helping). But it's all on my face... very rarely my hands. I keep my makeup brushes very clean, use unscented soap and dryer sheets on my bedding, and try to not change up my shampoo too much either. Same with my face wash... all very gentle stuff but recently... o man!! I have some small bumps and my checks are very red. I know my mom has rosacea but what I have on my face looks nothing like what she has or of the images I've seen online. I am going to start keeping track of when I get flare ups on my food diary as well and see if I can't pinpoint it... I have a funny feeling it hits when I go under 20 carbs a day for a bit, which I seem to do a couple days a week every other week... and that seems to be when it hits.
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    During my first few weeks, I was breaking out on my neck. I think that is common. Topical Benadryl was helpful to me. Lately, dry skin and chapped lips have been as issue. I drink 60-70 oz of water daily, no changes there. I think my problem was fish oil supplements. I ran out and did not replace. I was sort of testing water to see if my body needed it. Dry skin and chapped lips are feeling better after getting back on the fish oil.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sunny Bunny. I do take a small dose of both potassium and Magnesium and salt my food everyday. I feel pretty good, no headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, concentration problems etc. The only problem is the rash. I drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. I did read the information about electrolytes and will try drinking some broth. I do have dry skin and dry eyes.

One of the podcasts that was just on recently said that dry skin and dry eyes is indicative of a Vitamin A shortage. This isn't often tested by doctors. They said to take it opposite vitamin D3, so D3 in the am, A in the pm. Just something worth trying. My supplements will be here Friday, @ilovethecamp32 - so I'll try to remember to check back with progress!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    This might be what I have. It's not candia as I get some gut bacterial test about once a year ( I have really bad IBS but Keto seems to be helping). But it's all on my face... very rarely my hands. I keep my makeup brushes very clean, use unscented soap and dryer sheets on my bedding, and try to not change up my shampoo too much either. Same with my face wash... all very gentle stuff but recently... o man!! I have some small bumps and my checks are very red. I know my mom has rosacea but what I have on my face looks nothing like what she has or of the images I've seen online. I am going to start keeping track of when I get flare ups on my food diary as well and see if I can't pinpoint it... I have a funny feeling it hits when I go under 20 carbs a day for a bit, which I seem to do a couple days a week every other week... and that seems to be when it hits.

I would also check your thyroid panel, including thyroid antibodies. Apparently, nearly everyone who has some form of IBS will have thyroid antibodies for up to 10-12 years BEFORE it will show on a standard thyroid panel. Preemptive treatment can work hugely here, too! @klkateri...

EDITED TO ADD: If you're also heavily in the fat burning zone, your body will excrete burned fats (whatever isn't processed out through CO2 and/or waste) through the pores in your skin. I discovered this when we moved our offices at the end of May. A few hours after we stopped moving (during which time I sweated very little if any), I felt like I has a scorching acidic sunburn all over my exposed skin, and at the edges of my clothing. A cleaning with witch hazel (as I would for the sunburn normally) washed off the burned fat reside, leaving my skin feeling normal. Further experimentation showed me that extremely heavy activity, particularly while extending a fast (or just pushing after breakfast) lead to this same reaction...