Bacon/Sausage..Regular or Turkey

Options
ktilton70130
ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
okay, So basically I believe I am going about the wrong way, dont judge me,lol. Okay I am still reading to get a better understanding and also asking you guys a ton of questions.
Should I consume regular bacon or turkey bacon and the same for sausage should I eat regular sausage or turkey?
I have been eating turkey bacon and sausage since I have started but I just recently began the low carb regime. Please give feedback it will be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of turkey, eat turkey. But you may find the need to supplement fats elsewhere to meet your macros.

I eat regular bacon and sausage generally. Though, I occasionally like chicken based sausages for the taste.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I prefer regular pork bacon and sausage myself. I believe the turkey versions are low in fat, which isn't too desirable for me. But I don't think they contain carbs (I may be wrong).

I say, if you like it - go ahead. Add some fat in by having it with eggs fried in butter.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I don't care for turkey bacon or sausage. I use regular. I do get Applegate farms chicken and sage sausage links at times because I like the taste. Low fat isn't necessary or necessarily desirable in a low carb diet so I would only use turkey alternatives if you truly prefer the taste.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    REGULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Dude. Eat the fat.

Fake crap is no good :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yep, eat the regular stuff. On low carb we need fat to increase satiety. Otherwise you turn around in an hour and are hungry again. But, if you prefer the taste of the turkey types, go for it! Just add fat in other foods.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I like pork bacon & turkey breakfast sausage.
    Italian sweet sausage has to be pork.
    Hot dogs...beef
    Eat what you like the taste of & burn your own fat.

>:) or o:)
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    Dude. Eat the fat.

Fake crap is no good :)

lol, im trying to reprogram myself. That's why I need you guys,lol. So used of hearing low calorie,low fat, low carb. I definitely need help trying to grasp this,lol
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Yep, eat the regular stuff. On low carb we need fat to increase satiety. Otherwise you turn around in an hour and are hungry again. But, if you prefer the taste of the turkey types, go for it! Just add fat in other foods.

ok I guess my other question is how would I add the fat, dont judge me,lol okay for example this morning I had to boiled eggs, a one turkey sausage patty and green tea where would I add the fat?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

ok I guess my other question is how would I add the fat, dont judge me,lol okay for example this morning I had to boiled eggs, a one turkey sausage patty and green tea where would I add the fat?

Cream to the green tea (check out tea lattes, too).

Cheese on the eggs, or frying them instead of boiling (then, you can fry them in butter, or scramble them up and add things like cheese and ham).

Mayo on the sausage patty.

You can also get the fats in on other meals. Cream or oil based dressing on salads. Fattier meats for lunch and dinner (80/20 hamburgers, for example). Butter on vegetables. So on and so forth.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I think you only need to add fat if you are not feeling satiated. if you are then no need to overdue it on fat. I've found that 2-3 pieces of bacon, regular bacon is really filling and I don't need to add anything else. If you are feeling really hungry then add in fats till you are full.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think you only need to add fat if you are not feeling satiated. if you are then no need to overdue it on fat. I've found that 2-3 pieces of bacon, regular bacon is really filling and I don't need to add anything else. If you are feeling really hungry then add in fats till you are full.

You're talking regular bacon, though. Turkey bacon has a fraction of the fat, and that's the underlying problem.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Does that keep you satisfied for 4-6 hours? If yes, no need to change anything. If no, scramble the eggs in butter instead. Or make them deviled by adding mayo, mustard and dill pickle relish.
    Or don't eat low fat meat and keep the boiled egg...
    Or, if you're not insulin resistant or diabetic, eat more protein instead. But again, I wouldn't choose low fat protein.
  • auntstephie321
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

You're talking regular bacon, though. Turkey bacon has a fraction of the fat, and that's the underlying problem.

right, but if she switches to regular bacon or is already eating fat with turkey bacon and feels satisfied and likes the turkey bacon then she doesn't have to add fat just to add fat
  • ktilton70130
    Options

Does that keep you satisfied for 4-6 hours? If yes, no need to change anything. If no, scramble the eggs in butter instead. Or make them deviled by adding mayo, mustard and dill pickle relish.
    Or, if you're not insulin resistant or diabetic, eat more protein instead. But again, I wouldn't choose low fat protein.

I eat every 3 hours, so yes it keeps me full for 3 hours . I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. I am not a cheese eater and no I am not a diabetic. I will continue to try and see what works.
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

right, but if she switches to regular bacon or is already eating fat with turkey bacon and feels satisfied and likes the turkey bacon then she doesn't have to add fat just to add fat

I have been eating the turkey bacon and sausage and love it so I guess I change up my other meals maybe. Like I said it just a thing i have been brainwashed,lol low calories low fat move as* type of advice,lol. With everyone's assistance I will get it together and also by experimenting.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I eat every 3 hours, so yes it keeps me full for 3 hours . I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. I am not a cheese eater and no I am not a diabetic. I will continue to try and see what works.

So, I would ditch the low fat meats then so that you can feel satisfied and not have to eat so often. If you're hungry in 3 hours, I don't think your fueling yourself properly. Try to adjust the foods chosen with the goal of eating 3 meals and no snacks as a starting point. It's not uncommon to eat only 1 or 2 meals on lchf because of the hunger control. This doesn't mean a person isn't eating enough calories though. But you can tap into stored fat between those meals rather than fueling yourself on consumed food every 3 hours.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    okay, So basically I believe I am going about the wrong way, dont judge me,lol. Okay I am still reading to get a better understanding and also asking you guys a ton of questions.
    Should I consume regular bacon or turkey bacon and the same for sausage should I eat regular sausage or turkey?
    I have been eating turkey bacon and sausage since I have started but I just recently began the low carb regime. Please give feedback it will be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance.

Turkey bacon is fine, just make sure you're eating fats as well, don't cut out the fats. You should be eating food to fit your fat/protein/carb macros and also thinking about what vitamins you can get out of it.

So if I had turkey bacon and I found I didn't have enough fat in my meal, I'd add full fat cream to my coffee, or I'd have almonds for a snack. If I had egg whites for breakfast I'd eat an avocado with it with some sausages (pork, full fat).

If I had regular bacon I'd eat eggs with the yolks with it, it's the perfect balance of proteins and fats. Turkey bacon plus sausages may be perfect since sausage contains some fat, but it's hard to say without knowing which brands.

One is not really better than the other, it's just about figuring out what's been left out and where you need to make up for it.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    If I were eating turkey bacon, ( just to use it up mind you, until I could get the real stuff), I would be cooking my eggs in butter and adding more butter onto the scrambled eggs after cooking as well, yum! Or if using real bacon, I would keep all the bacon fat in the pan and cook my eggs in the fat. If I chop the bacon first, then fry, I can make bacon scrabbled eggs and the eggs absorb all the fat. This keeps me full for 12 hours or more.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Read the labels on both packages, choose the one that has a higher fat content.

Dan the Man from Michigan