To all you weight lifters out there. . .

Options
I just had my weekly session with my trainer. He had me doing the leg press maching and put the weight at 230 pounds for 15 reps. I legitmately did not think I could do this, but I was able to pull through. Seeing my surprise, my trainer suggested I'm not pushing myself hard enough on days when I'm not with him. So I could use some suggestions on staying motivated, personal experiences, etc. Should I just ignore hitting a specific number of repetitions? How can I push myself when I didn't realize I could do more. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    always go for a weight you can only pick up two or three times and work backward.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you want to do 2-3 sets of 8 or 9 reps. The last two reps of each set should be very hard to do....but doable. That is an indicator that you are on the right weight. When they become easy to do, increase the weight some.

And I understand...you are still learning and were surprised. I think your training was just informing you and not criticizing you.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    do fewer reps...you'll be able to push yourself harder for 3-5 sets of 3-7 reps of something veruss 2 -3 sets of 15 or 20 reps...this way you can do a heavier weight and see better results! Always start heavy and step back from there, never the other way around.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just had my weekly session with my trainer. He had me doing the leg press maching and put the weight at 230 pounds for 15 reps. I legitmately did not think I could do this, but I was able to pull through. Seeing my surprise, my trainer suggested I'm not pushing myself hard enough on days when I'm not with him. So I could use some suggestions on staying motivated, personal experiences, etc. Should I just ignore hitting a specific number of repetitions? How can I push myself when I didn't realize I could do more. Thanks in advance!!

I am the same way...I push myself more when I am challenging a friend .....I found that if I write down what I do...and try to beat what I did by more weight and/or reps...thats how I push myself...I basically compete against myself.
  • koyongi
    koyongi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just don't do the same thing every time. If you're not progressing (either adding weight, or reps, or time, or less rest, etc.), then you're...not progressing. Depending on your goals, there could be a lot of ways you can push yourself.

Do more than you did last time. And when you can't do that, try something new.
  • Chicrider
    Options
    When i lift i try to aim for a certain number of reps however if i find its too easy I will increase my weight and go until the last rep is too hard, i aim for 12-15 reps. If your not pushing yourself your not going to get results its important to challenge yourself.
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. :)