Training for a half marathon in September, and all around fitness.

Options
124»

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job in your HM
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Felt good.
  • pondee629
    Options
    And now the coda:

186 out of 245 total finishers;
    122 out of 151 male finishers;
    7 out of 9 60+ male finishers; and
    a 52.28 Age Graded PLP.
    We got the time 2:17:10 from a goal of 2:30.

My guess is that there are far fewer 60+ year old males running a Half marathon on a whim, unlike maybe with a 5K, and all those running are reasonably well trained. I am very happy with my performance.

Now, I need an off season training plan to continue my progress. 18/20/25 miles per week? Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I'm working on off-season planning too. I'm thinking I'll end up with somewhere around 25 mpw and add in more strength and core training
  • pondee629
    Options
    So I decided on averaging 20-25 miles per week, outside for as long as weather permits (then treadmill when it's not co-operating) coupled with Strong Lifts 5x5. Downloaded the app on my phone and started yesterday. Went well. What could possibly go wrong ;-) 5 miles tonight.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    So I decided on averaging 20-25 miles per week, outside for as long as weather permits (then treadmill when it's not co-operating) coupled with Strong Lifts 5x5. Downloaded the app on my phone and started yesterday. Went well. What could possibly go wrong ;-) 5 miles tonight.

That's pretty close to my plan for the winter time also, though I won't be lifting until I move indoors for the winter. Planning 3 weekday runs of 5 miles, then 2 days lifting on non-running days, and a 7-8 mile long run on the weekend. Mileage may go up a little, but that's my basic idea, 1 upper ody lift day, and one lower body, just to keep things moving.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well done, pondee629!! Fantastic job doing your first HM at 60+!!

Sorry, I forgot to update here when I did my 3rd HM on September 18.

It went really well!

I cut about 6 minutes off my previous time, so it was a PB. 2:06:24

It was also hilly, so I'm very happy with that.

Now I'm going to do my next HM on Sunday (Nov 6 2016)!

This will be my first "official" HM race event. The others I just did on my own. Getting excited!
  • pondee629
    Options
    Orphia:

I found that "race" pace is a lot faster than a training pace, better than the best pace I could do while out on my own. All through training I could not maintain the 11:27 minute mile pace I needed to achieve my goal of a Half Marathon in 2:30. On race day though, I started at a 10:30 minute mile pace, told myself that I had to slow down, continued with that 10:30 pace, telling myself to slow down. At the 5 mile mark I had a conversation with a fellow runner, explaining that I was going too fast and had to slow but couldn't. At which point she said, "you do realize that we ARE having a conversation right now?" So, considering that I was still at a "conversational pace" I continued. I figured I would either continue at that pace or die in the effort. Didn't die, did continue and kinda liked my finishing time.

You may be surprised by what you can do in a race setting. Good luck and, above all, enjoy.

Thanks for you opening kind words.