Things I hate on LCHF

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @bjwoodzy

I use a "water drink reminder" for android. Easier and reminds you... I think it's "water my body" on apple...

Feed notifications are hit and miss whether they work on my phone. Sometimes they take me to the main page... UGH.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @bjwoodzy, that's why I rarely food log anymore.... there aren't enough pages for all the foods on my lists, things keep getting bumped off and then I have to search for them again and of course as I re-add them, something else gets bumped off. That's on my PC... I don't touch the mobile app for MFP. I even use my browser on my tablet because I CAN'T STAND the app. If only I liked to eat 5 ingredient meals, the same meals over and over, hahaha, life would be so easy.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    The list is short:

BPC with coffee grounds in it. I bet every third pot the filter folds over and I drink grounds. I try so hard every morning to get the filter perfect in there alas...I drink grounds 33% of the time. Whyforhowcome, I ask, whyforhowcome? I never drank coffee before this WOE. I may have to switch to tea...or hint around for a Keurig :smile:

Might want to read this before buying one:
    http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/03/coffee-k-cups-green-mountain-polystyrene-plastic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/20/keurig-machine-bacteria-real-gross_n_7345858.html

lol I didn't click on the link, but the title says it all. That's exactly why I use the pour over method to make my coffee. My entire coffee maker (one little ceramic dripper) gets washed after every brew. Yes, I'm a bit of a germaphobe... after a lifetime of digestive problems, I try to minimise the amount of bad bacteria that I consume.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @bjwoodzy

I use a "water drink reminder" for android. Easier and reminds you... I think it's "water my body" on apple...

Cool! I never need reminding to drink water, what I need is to remember if I'm filling up my 8th glass or 13th LOL. I then try to stop drinking by 10-ish, since I'm usually in bed by 1 a.m.-ish, and I think it helps to give myself a 3-hour water rest at minimum, to avoid getting up eleventy times at night to empty out LOL

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @bjwoodzy, that's why I rarely food log anymore.... there aren't enough pages for all the foods on my lists, things keep getting bumped off and then I have to search for them again and of course as I re-add them, something else gets bumped off. That's on my PC... I don't touch the mobile app for MFP. I even use my browser on my tablet because I CAN'T STAND the app. If only I liked to eat 5 ingredient meals, the same meals over and over, hahaha, life would be so easy.

I go to the bottom of my today diary and hit "View full report" then check ONLY "Food diary" and put in a range between the time I know I ate a certain meal and to the date I know I didn't eat it, and then submit that to see a few days' (or a month's) worth of logs in one page, then CTRL+F on PC (CMD+F on Mac) to search for that dish - and then I go back to the diary, click the date I saw that in, and then click "Quick tools" > Copy to _______ (today, tomorrow, etc.) or else the "Remember meal" tool is especially handy when you eat the same combination of foods at one meal a lot and repeat it often, as I've done.

...and this is coming from the person who bltches the MOST about needing variety on keto ;) Well, okay, I don't really... I just love to cook and a lot of different things.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @bjwoodzy

Cool! I never need reminding to drink water, what I need is to remember if I'm filling up my 8th glass or 13th LOL. I then try to stop drinking by 10-ish, since I'm usually in bed by 1 a.m.-ish, and I think it helps to give myself a 3-hour water rest at minimum, to avoid getting up eleventy times at night to empty out LOL

@bjwoodzy whenever it pops up with a reminder, it gives you multiple sizes of drink value to enter. You just click the water bottle or glass size and move on. It's crazy simple to use. So every time you fill up a glass, click on the app, click on the glass size, and done. So if you set your reminders about when you are normally done with a glass, you can double whammy and basically have it pop up to help you. Or if it pops up and you have a couple swallows left, it reminds you to chug and refill, etc.

But honestly, I mostly go by urine color, unless I'm having vitamin runoff...
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I find I'm in a constant state of angry indignation. I'm Keto, and I Vape. People's wilful ignorance drives me up the wall. Not one opinion is backed up by science, nor do they actually know what they're talking about, but they feel the need to tell me I'm going to die anyway.

People tell me Keto is unhealthy and super restrictive and I'm being fussy and a little bit won't hurt and you need carbs for health, and all that animal fat is bad for you and on and on. The truth is Keto has allowed me to head off diabetes, lose 35kg and my health has never been better. My blood work is better than it's ever been. My headaches are less, my anxiety is reduced, my joints thank me. I am never bored or restricted for choices. I can eat out, and fat is not going to kill me.

People tell me vaping is more dangerous than smoking, it will kill me, my battery will explode and kill my whole family and I will get popcorn lung and die. The truth is vaping is scientifically proven to be 95% safer than smoking. The batteries blow up a lot less often than iPhones and usually because of user error. Popcorn lung is caused a lot more often by smoking and almost never by vaping. Vape juice contains 4 ingredients, the only one in contention being nicotine which no more dangerous than caffeine. Cigarettes contain 4000. Most of which will kill you. My doctor and my surgeon 100% support it, and my partner and I have not had a cigarette in 2 years. None of the other quit methods worked, we tried them all. Even the suicide pills.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

I go to the bottom of my today diary and hit "View full report" then check ONLY "Food diary" and put in a range between the time I know I ate a certain meal and to the date I know I didn't eat it, and then submit that to see a few days' (or a month's) worth of logs in one page, then CTRL+F on PC (CMD+F on Mac) to search for that dish - and then I go back to the diary, click the date I saw that in, and then click "Quick tools" > Copy to _______ (today, tomorrow, etc.) or else the "Remember meal" tool is especially handy when you eat the same combination of foods at one meal a lot and repeat it often, as I've done.

...and this is coming from the person who bltches the MOST about needing variety on keto ;) Well, okay, I don't really... I just love to cook and a lot of different things.

Unfortunately I've tried this.... turns out that I will eat a combo of certain foods for a while, because they are on sale or I just feel like those flavours/textures/whatever so I save those meals and then I don't use them again for 6 months or more OR most often I use a variation of them, which means that I still have to delete part of the meal I've specially saved and hunt for the different ingredients in the MFP lists to add. Still a PITA. I never plan a meal. (except maybe Fathead pizza but since I've only made it 3 times, I guess that doesn't really count yet, lol) I open the fridge and cupboard and see what's there, lol. I buy what's on sale or looks interesting when I go to the grocery/butcher/fruit & veg market. That could be part of why. I like food, I like cooking, I don't like meal planning. (I can plan vacations and do a ton of research on THAT though, lol)
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I miss fruit!!! I recently learned...supposedly....(from my 18 yr old niece) that eating pineapple makes "everything" taste better. I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice keto status to test the theory.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Unfortunately I've tried this.... turns out that I will eat a combo of certain foods for a while, because they are on sale or I just feel like those flavours/textures/whatever so I save those meals and then I don't use them again for 6 months or more OR most often I use a variation of them, which means that I still have to delete part of the meal I've specially saved and hunt for the different ingredients in the MFP lists to add. Still a PITA. I never plan a meal. (except maybe Fathead pizza but since I've only made it 3 times, I guess that doesn't really count yet, lol) I open the fridge and cupboard and see what's there, lol. I buy what's on sale or looks interesting when I go to the grocery/butcher/fruit & veg market. That could be part of why. I like food, I like cooking, I don't like meal planning. (I can plan vacations and do a ton of research on THAT though, lol)

@canadjineh - Do you ever save meals? I do that with my taco salad...then once you load it, you can add and subtract individual ingredients... To me, saving something you generally pair together as a "meal" might give you more options to save something... Or manually saving it under "my food" if you think you'll by it again when on sale, etc....
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    I miss fruit!!! I recently learned...supposedly....(from my 18 yr old niece) that eating pineapple makes "everything" taste better. I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice keto status to test the theory.

I've heard this too. I don't think it improves it *enough* to warrant the sugar. Honestly didn't notice any difference.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hate not having any clothes to wear that fit me, lol. I cannot afford to buy a whole new wardrobe. Nobody likes listening to me gripe about this. I also need a new belt if I am going to continue wearing my "too big" pants.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I hate not having any clothes to wear that fit me, lol. I cannot afford to buy a whole new wardrobe. Nobody likes listening to me gripe about this. I also need a new belt if I am going to continue wearing my "too big" pants.

I feel the same. I was starting to feel sooo messy. I did end up buying two pairs of pants and a top last weekend because my work wardrobe had dwindled to the same 4 baggy outfits. I'll be doing this at Goodwill or Thredup in the future...the only reason I went retail for what are going to be temporary sizes is because I had a job interview.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Almond flour is so expensive!

Lack of prepackaged and healthy snack options, especially stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge. Pretty much can't eat anything in a vending machine except the packages of nuts. But I guess that's good because I would be spending more money. My snacks all pretty much include nuts/seeds, string cheese and pepperoni (latter two items I need to keep in the fridge so I can't keep them in my bag for, say, a day at the pool.)

I love those Bertolli pasta bags and I miss them so much. I wish there was something low carb, keto even, that was similar to that. Like a bag that comes with zoodles/spaghetti squash noodles/cauliflower rice, meat, veggies and then either frozen sauce or a package of dry seasoning that you can mix with water or butter, etc. All you have to do is take it out of the freezer, pop it in a skillet and it's done in 10 minutes.

(The theme here is prepackaged foods lol)

Migraines and constipation
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I finally broke down and bought new pants last year when I knew I wouldn't be getting any smaller. I did it right before school started because we have a no-tax weekend here in Texas, so everyone combines that with sales making it the most affordable time to buy clothes. I also got them at the outlet store, thus saving even more.

The ladies at work were happy to see me wearing pants that fit. A guy can get away with wearing a somewhat baggy shirt, but when dress pants are all bunched up around the waist, he looks like a homeless man no matter how nice the pants are.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »

Lack of prepackaged and healthy snack options, especially stuff that doesn't need to be stored in the fridge. Pretty much can't eat anything in a vending machine except the packages of nuts. But I guess that's good because I would be spending more money. My snacks all pretty much include nuts/seeds, string cheese and pepperoni (latter two items I need to keep in the fridge so I can't keep them in my bag for, say, a day at the pool.)

I love those Bertolli pasta bags and I miss them so much. I wish there was something low carb, keto even, that was similar to that. Like a bag that comes with zoodles/spaghetti squash noodles/cauliflower rice, meat, veggies and then either frozen sauce or a package of dry seasoning that you can mix with water or butter, etc. All you have to do is take it out of the freezer, pop it in a skillet and it's done in 10 minutes.

Not sure where you shop or what country you're in, but in the U.K., most of the major grocery chains have fresh pre-cut / couscous'd / riced / spiralized veggies. I don't have a freezer, so I haven't looked for frozen... but that at least cuts down in the prep time :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »

Not sure where you shop or what country you're in, but in the U.K., most of the major grocery chains have fresh pre-cut / couscous'd / riced / spiralized veggies. I don't have a freezer, so I haven't looked for frozen... but that at least cuts down in the prep time :)

@PaleoInScotland - I swear, we're practically in the middle ages over here in the US. Most mainstream stores, Wal-Mart and other chains only carry this if they're in a major metro or if enough folks have requested it. I have yet to see this ANYWHERE in my town, which isn't that small, but isn't huge either, and I visit some of the more specialty stores on occasion...and that is fresh or frozen, but I have heard rumors of maybe finding it frozen soon...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I hate trying to find decent avocados this time of year...everything is either half rotten or not yet ripe...<sigh>
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - Walmart here now carries several varieties of riced cauliflower steamable bags in the frozen section. The first one I tried was a garlic butter (or something like that). It was much better after adding more butter. They put very little on it. I have a few other varieties in the freezer I haven't tried yet.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I found shredded vegetable noodles in City Market/ Kroger near the packaged salad and mushrooms. You might see if they can order it in for you from their supplier. Worth a shot.