August 2016

Options
Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
Sorry, I haven't had much to say the last week or so. Life has been busy (mostly because I am amping up my training so my fitness will be as good as possible when I can go full contact again (28 days to go!!!!! It happens this month!) I have also started fencing again after 11 months off which is exciting and nerve wracking (as I have competition in 9 weeks!) It is a weird combination of remembering and not remembering, but my fitness is way better now which helps lots, my balance and stability is also so much improved thanks to knee rehab and the stuff I don't remember too well included bad habits which I can hopefully drop now!!

Replies

• NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    @CaptainBoing Well, that's a silver lining, forgetting bad habits. I wish I could forget mine.

Today is the first of the month. That's always a good time to refresh and/or restart.
  • 1skholloway
    1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    @CaptainBoing , Congratulations on being able to start fencing again! Some of you ladies are so very active I can't imagine why you are a part of this group!

I on the other hand prefer to be a slug. I do enjoy nature and like to hike and canoe in pleasant weather but I prefer being a slug. I have to make myself be active. I try to move often - walk in place while brushing my teeth, waiting for the microwave, etc. I am trying to change my mindset and tell myself I like sweating and exercising. My body knows better and laughs and says "yeah, right! You can't fool me!!!"

I read a blog by a fellow MFP'er that I enjoyed and she mentioned the book "The Brain of a Thin Woman." I looked at it on Amazon and it intrigued me so I bought it and started reading it last night. Very interesting read! It deals with neuroplasticity or rewiring your brain by changing the way you think. It is scientifically proven that this works. Dr. Caroline Leaf is a Christian neuroscientist who has studied neuroplastisty and written a book called "Switch on Your Brain" on the subject. It's good but tends to be technical. I look forward to completing "The Brain of a Thin Woman" and seeing what I can read. People who commented on the lady's blog post said it had to do with being mindful of your actions and what you thought about. That makes sense. Maybe I can start thinking like a thin woman so I can become one!
  • blitzbis
    blitzbis Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Happy August everyone. 14 days until my last 10k. Walked quite a bit this weekend and then decided to mow the lawn yesterday. Riding lawn mower won't start so push mow it is. (At least until brother in law can drive the 1hour and 1/2 to my place to see what's going on with it). However as i need to train mybody to be out in the texas heat for a couple of hours, then I shall strap on my shoes and push mow the yard. Last night, I got our back and front yard accomplished. Tonight, I plan on doing my mother in law's front yard. This may take about an hour or so of mowing a night to get everyting done, but think of the stamina I will have acquired. Right?
    I'd still rather do this than do the edging/weed eating that Chris has to do. Any fool can walk in concentric squares pushing a mower, right?
    Also, it's my husbands birthday month. Already planning how to get through this so I can be thinner before our cruise. Thankfully he likes cake with a whipped frosting and that is not my thing. Give me a butter cream cake frosting any day of the week!

Take care all!
    Cindy
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yay, August! @NewOR2015 --you are so right. The beginning of a month is the perfect time to focus on making a new start!! Thanks for that. I really needed it.

@blitzbis -- Whoa! All that mowing will definitely help you improve your stamina! Here, my husband takes care of the lawn and I work on the gardens that border it.

@CaptainBoing -- Like @1skholloway , I am so impressed by your level of activity. Good luck with your upcoming fencing competition.

Well, I am definitely working on getting back on track. We're hoping to travel to South America next year and I want to be fit enough to do some trekking in Patagonia. That means losing at least 9 lbs (to help my knee) and doing my calisthenics and stretching/foam rolling more often (calisthenics 3x a week, stretching/rolling each day). Once my knee feels better, I can resume my walks and try to get more hiking in.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    @1skholloway I got into exercise at this intensity when I found some form of exercise that I absolutely loved doing. For me it was mma style fitness, which led to Brazilian jui jitsu. Because I love it so much, it is easy to motivate myself to go and train, especially as you have to train jui jitsu with other people. Some of my best friends train with me so we always have fun together and we motivate each other lots. Once I was in that zone, the change to how I think about food and exercise came easily. Once the mindset is changed, it all becomes much easier!

I have also had knee issues (surgery to shave out damaged cartilage and a torn acl that took about 6 months to heal). I'm still doing rehab twice a week because they are so good I just can't stop. They are fixing more than just my knee, because there are so many things connected that caused my problems in the first place. I'm learning to engage my glutes (yes, I have a good looking guy stare at my butt twice a week!!!) and my balance is better than ever!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    @CaptainBoing LOL if I had Wolverine staring at my tuckus I most certainly would have incentive to get it in great shape. ;) I would even consider getting those tight yoga pants with the racing stripe down the side. LOL :D
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    Susan & @CaptainBoing Yep, the right mindset will get you where you need to be. I'm not there yet.

Cindy, I love mowing the lawn in Texas heat. The sweat just pours off me. After my shower I feel soooo refreshed! Mowing is the best exercise because I feel I've been productive at the same time.

Danielle, I never heard of Patagonia. I've got to brush up on my geography.

Sue, now, now, don't get so excited! You're supposed to get in shape for yourself, your health, not some Wolverine. :)
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    NSV - I bought and wore legging capris to exercise in. I wanted something that fit to work out in and these were $4 a pair and the style I usually wear were $10 and $12 a pair. I couldn't justify paying the difference in price. I was nervous that they would be too tight and I would look bad in them. They looked ok in the store and I found someone who looked like a modest dresser who agreed they would be ok to work out in as long as I had a shirt to cover my hiney. If she saw my stomach she would have said keep that covered too! I always wear long shirts to cover it. I looked in the mirror before leaving the house for reassurance that I looked decent. The pants weren't skin tight. They were actually a little loose around the knees. I went to the chiropractor's office before the gym and a staff person commented on my weight loss. I mentioned it was my first time to wear leggings and the staff said I looked fine. The pants came in many colors and prints that were so pretty but I bought black pair. :) I thought they would match whatever shirt I wear.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    NSVs are what keep us going!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    @1skholloway sometimes we just need to step out of our comfort zone. If you like the black go for navy blue it's very close to black, baby steps. GREAT NSV !!! :)
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    I am not allowed to mow as we are in such a drought you have to be careful of the cracks that are all over the yard. My husband is afraid my foot will go into one and I will break something. My mom is afraid a sinkhole is going to appear they are so huge. I have to admit this is the first year I am afraid of the yard. More and more people are taking their dogs to the park to walk on the path too. One of these days it's got to rain I would definitely rather have rain than a ton of snow.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Thanks @2020pinktogo ! LOL Your thought process is similar to mine. I did look for navy blue but all they had was some bright blue that was just too bright for me. I wish I could think of something to compare it to. It probably would match some of what I wear okay because I wear a lot of black and gray as well as some other colors. Just not ready for that yet.

I wish I could send you some rain. We are getting evening showers often and I am thankful for them even though they revived my grass that was almost dead. I like dead grass because that means I don't have to mow. I don't dislike mowing as much as I used to but I wouldn't miss it if I never had to do it again.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    From the Thin Woman's Brain written in 2013. "Today's average woman is 5'4" tall and weighs 160 pounds." The author is speaking about women in the U.S. I would think.

I know we aren't to compare ourselves to other but I still do more than I like. I figure at 5'6" and 175 pounds I am close to average. That han't happened often in my life weight wise. It's nice to know how I stack up compared to others. I don't know when I will try to stop losing weight. I think I need to start focusing on toning up and not focus on the number on the scales so much at this point. I want to meet with the trainer at the gym so he can give me a better idea of the direction in which I need to go at this point.
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    Hello, MFP Friends!

@1skholloway -- That is such a terrific feeling!! Not only do clothes fit you better, but you got those leggings at a fabulous price! I also love wearing black. I will brighten things up with colorful accessories-- scarves, necklaces, etc. I recently got into bright blue and have some shirts and a cardigan in that color. Looks great with my black pants and tights! Sometimes changing our focus provides us the stimulus we need to get things moving. Definitely let us know how it goes!

@CaptainBoing -- Man, I wish I had your optimism and energy!! I've been working on strengthening my glutes, etc and improving my balance for about 10 mos. I definitely notice an improvement. Having a cute trainer sounds like a fun motivator!

@2020pinktogo -- Droughts are so tough. I grew up in Southern California, so I really feel for you. And your lawn. Sounds extremely bad where you are, though. Definitely watch out. I'd hate for you to get injured.

Well, blah. I am having a tough week. Yesterday I said goodbye to my little pet rat. She was 3yrs old, which is old for a rat. She was so smart and independent. She's the last of my colony. It's hard. Just this afternoon while I was making lunch I thought, "Oh, I should save some broccoli for Poppi," then remembered that she's gone. So, I am depressed which means doing anything is hard and I'm trying not to eat my emotions (also hard). I am glad that I made myself do 30min of calisthenics, though.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    @JanolaBarbara I am sorry for your loss. Losing a pet can be so hard. Please know you are in my thoughts.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    This is our first major drought the town well is down 50 % so we are going into our reserve tank which is hooked up to the county lines. Our biggest fear is fire where you use a ton of water. As the well has never gotten this low and we are a farming community they are going to stay on the county water til mid dec to see how the water table rises. Granted you have these people who are having bon fires and are not considering that they could literally burn down their neighbors livelihood. that's what one guy did near my mom he went out and burned papers in his burn barrel which was a piece of crap and took out 39 acres of wheat of his neighbors farm. 6 fire companies responded. Yep you guessed it he put it over to burn and went inside to do something and the wind took it over to the neighbors. It was horrible. the guy who did it acts like nothing happened. the farmer looks like he aged 20 years he looks so rough.

and just for @NewOR2015 Laura was 3 hours late today for work so she shows up 8 min before I'm suppose to leave. I honestly didn't think she was coming and thought ok I am going to have to stay. So she shows up to work 2 hours with a sub in her hand cause she hasn't had time to eat all day supposedly. Now she's only going to work 2 hours and then leave why do you need to eat a sub and wait on people? I think we have our new crazy.
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    @1skholloway -- Thank you so much for your condolences.

@2020pinktogo -- Hope you can leave all that crazy behind you someday soon.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    @2020pinktogo It just amazes me that crazies have jobs in the first place.
  • blitzbis
    Options
    @JanolaBarbara So sorry about Poppi. Happy you made yourself exercise though. It won't take away the pain as you well know, but I truly believe emotions are energy in our body and we have to get that out somehow.

@CaptainBoing I can't imagine finding an exercise regimen I love as much as you have. I enjoyed my races when I felt like I could improve on my time, but now that I have injured my knee, I'm afraid to start running again. At least until I get some weight off. I don't think running on a 260lb frame is good for my knees. Imagine all the shock of that weight. EEEKKKKK. I do enjoy a "good sore" from a good workout. I used to have a subscription to DailyBurn and really enjoyed the variety, but then decided there are just as many good videos on YouTube for free, but of course I haven't availed myself of those. HOpefully once I get this last 10k behind me, I'll stop walking as long in the evenings and can do some more strength training.

@NewOR2015 I do love getting in a cool shower after mowing in this heat. Soooooo, amazing. The great thing about mowing is that you can see what you have accomplished that day. Being a counselor...you have to wait and wait and wait before you can see progress in patients!

Needing to go to a meeting. I'll catch up on other posts shortly. Great to see such activity!

• blitzbis
    Options
    @1skholloway great NSV!. I need to find new workout pants but can't find anything that isn't black. I need them to walk this last 10k and just don't want to wear such a dark color. However, i also can't wear what I have now as the elastic is shot in one pair and the others cause a terrible rub. So happy you found something you felt comfortable in, that others were complimentary of (and lets face it that means a WHOLE lot) and that were inexpensive!

@2020pinktogo wow, definitely be careful with those cracks. A friend of mine works for the water district in San Antonio and he's always talking about their resevoir and how difficult it is to keep people from over using. Some people just don't understand how their actions negatively affect others. Sort of makes you want to teach that fella a lesson about the dangers of fire. We don't even BBQ right now (even though we aren't in a burn ban) but you never know where those sparks are going to go.

As for my week, so far so good. I am in a FitBit challenge and so far, I am ahead by about 20,000 steps. Last week, I was second and the guy that beat me is in this challenge also. Either he's not motivated this week or last week was just a fluke for him because i think he averaged 20k a day. But, it's helping me stay motivated. Yesterday, I felt like I didn't need to try too hard since I was so ahead but then I didn't want to kick myself if he got off his pattootie and i ended up losing my WAY comfortable lead. Had a few cheat days this week. Took off early on Tuesday and went to the movies. Got me some popcorn and drink and the next night went out with friends and had a pizza. On track now, but getting ready to start celebrating husband's birthday (this weekend with his family, next weekend with mine). Hope the weight keeps coming off. I see lots of mowing, walking and strength training in my future to make that happen.

Happy Thursday everyone