Question I'm not sure I'm allowed to ask about the main forum

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    genmon00 wrote: »
    "So, where's the research that says carbs are essential"-RalfLott

This EXACTLY is my thought process. Up until we began cultivating grains, humans lived fine without bread or sugar (outside natural fruit). And when we did eat vegtables or fruit, it was only when it was in season (which was a short time) and geographically available to us. How did the human race survive without these "so-called" essential carbs?

I'd like to take credit, but these are really Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek's lines!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    IMO, I think Low Carb eating is vastly misunderstood by most people. They think we eliminate ALL veggies and fruits.

THIS! but to be truthful, I have seen some low-carbers around the Internet post their daily food logs and it is exactly that --> an unhealthy and low-nutritional mess based on a menu high in bad fats, preservatives and artificial ingredients, with little to no fresh fruits or vegetables, and a lot of processed meats. For people educated about good nutrition and the value of whole foods, that is hardly a menu one can endorse. However, as many of us here know we can do low carb/high fat that is extremely healthy and nutritious, but it really is about personal choices.

To be fair, that's exactly what The Bear did, and he lived to be older than I really want to, and died in a car accident. xD He had a very hardline stance of "no vegetation whatsoever".

Not sure who 'the Bear' is, but if he lived to be old and has died, he fortunately predates most of the really bad fats, fast food and preservatives we see on the shelves today. But I think I know where you're going with this, as there are a lot of people that believe that all nutrition comes from fruits and vegetables, and forget that the nutritional value found in many plants food are also found in protein and fats. I know that was something I had to learn, and it certainly made becoming a low-carber much easier. I think it's absolutely possible for a person to live a long healthy life with little plant food, but me personally would miss it. :-)

He was the Grateful Dead's sound man I think. He was known for eating a 100% carnivorous diet for a number of decades, along with being a driving force behind the hippie movement... Today that seems funny to me: a carnivorous hippie. LOL
    https://zerocarbzen.com/the-bear/
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    IMO, I think Low Carb eating is vastly misunderstood by most people. They think we eliminate ALL veggies and fruits.

THIS! but to be truthful, I have seen some low-carbers around the Internet post their daily food logs and it is exactly that --> an unhealthy and low-nutritional mess based on a menu high in bad fats, preservatives and artificial ingredients, with little to no fresh fruits or vegetables, and a lot of processed meats. For people educated about good nutrition and the value of whole foods, that is hardly a menu one can endorse. However, as many of us here know we can do low carb/high fat that is extremely healthy and nutritious, but it really is about personal choices.

To be fair, that's exactly what The Bear did, and he lived to be older than I really want to, and died in a car accident. xD He had a very hardline stance of "no vegetation whatsoever".

Not sure who 'the Bear' is, but if he lived to be old and has died, he fortunately predates most of the really bad fats, fast food and preservatives we see on the shelves today. But I think I know where you're going with this, as there are a lot of people that believe that all nutrition comes from fruits and vegetables, and forget that the nutritional value found in many plants food are also found in protein and fats. I know that was something I had to learn, and it certainly made becoming a low-carber much easier. I think it's absolutely possible for a person to live a long healthy life with little plant food, but me personally would miss it. :-)

He was the Grateful Dead's sound man I think. He was known for eating a 100% carnivorous diet for a number of decades, along with being a driving force behind the hippie movement... Today that seems funny to me: a carnivorous hippie. LOL
    https://zerocarbzen.com/the-bear/

Wow! Thanks for the link. I plan to read more of that site. What a fascinating guy, and a great perspective on the modern diet. I agree it's funny to put carnivore and hippy in the same sentence, I know my 'hippy' GD following friends are all big on fruit and veggie juicing. Next time I see them I am soooo asking them about this guy.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Diets are never doomed to fail, but some people are. They do it to themselves. Those you know would do well to wrap their heads around this fact.

I see it over and over again.

One friend, who I've been urging to try low-carb for years, has finally developed diabetes. He isn't on insulin yet. His doctor told him to go on a low-carb diet. He did and lost 50 pounds. But last time we saw him he had gained 25 pounds back in less than 6 months. Why? He simply cannot give up the fries and the burger buns and the chips. And the bags of cookies at night. The triple dessert sampler at restaurants. The bread basket. And this is with full knowledge that if he doesn't stop, he will end up on insulin. He just can't give up the carbs for more than a few months.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    I've been listening to 'The Thin Woman's Brain' on Audible. Fascinating and enlightening read that could serve your friend well. @LauraCoth
  • LauraCoth
    I've been listening to 'The Thin Woman's Brain' on Audible. Fascinating and enlightening read that could serve your friend well. @LauraCoth

Thank you. Problem is, he's in denial. So's his very large wife.

• Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    LauraCoth wrote: »

Thank you. Problem is, he's in denial. So's his very large wife.

Most addicts are.

I admire you for continuing to support him/them for as long as you have.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Diets are never doomed to fail, but some people are. They do it to themselves. Those you know would do well to wrap their heads around this fact.

I see it over and over again.

One friend, who I've been urging to try low-carb for years, has finally developed diabetes. He isn't on insulin yet. His doctor told him to go on a low-carb diet. He did and lost 50 pounds. But last time we saw him he had gained 25 pounds back in less than 6 months. Why? He simply cannot give up the fries and the burger buns and the chips. And the bags of cookies at night. The triple dessert sampler at restaurants. The bread basket. And this is with full knowledge that if he doesn't stop, he will end up on insulin. He just can't give up the carbs for more than a few months.

I think you mean... he will end up dead at a much younger age, after going blind, having kidney problems, and both legs amputated....
    Just sayin'....
  • co_lau
    co_lau Posts: 35 Member
    @RalfLott "the hapless wurst to languish alone" is fantastic.
  • LauraCoth
    [quote="canadjineh;37286991
    I think you mean... he will end up dead at a much younger age, after going blind, having kidney problems, and both legs amputated....
    Just sayin'....[/quote]

That, too. It's like a smoker who can't quit. I don't get it, but that's because vanity has always trumped food, in my life.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    co_lau wrote: »
    @RalfLott "the hapless wurst to languish alone" is fantastic.

;) Ja, it's the wurst!

:D Oh... LOL